PDA

View Full Version : A.I. to Charlotte gaining Steam?

NBA_Starter
06-30-2009, 11:08 PM
Bobcats To Explore Possibility Of Adding All-Star Guard Allen Iverson

Iverson was spotted in Charlotte in May, when Brown said he'd have no problems coaching him again and Iverson's agent indicated his client would be open to playing for the Bobcats.
Leon Rose declined further comment on Tuesday, but he's expected to talk to the Bobcats as the free agency negotiating period starts Wednesday.
“Even though there are things that went on during our careers, the work he did was phenomenal,’ Brown said recently. “He wants to win, he competes every night, he plays hurt.”
Brown did question whether the Bobcats, who have never won more than 35 games in a season, would be a good fit for a player seeking to win an NBA title before retiring. But Rose said his client would have no qualms coming to Charlotte.

http://www.theweeklychallenger.com/News/article/article.asp?NewsID=97455&sID=41

The Charlotte Bobcats have an owner who's losing millions and looking to sell. They've struggled to move tickets, win games and become relevant in a town that used to adore the NBA.

Allen Iverson could change that.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5h9YfwKAuVyrSolTgKkrbuOTVK3DA

king4day
07-01-2009, 10:30 AM
The only positive in this would be getting more fans in the seats.
If they keep Felton, then there's no doubt that AI would be told by Brown that, if he comes here, his playing time would likely come off the bench.
Although, Bell off the bench might help him last longer since he's becoming injury prone.

ivylleague1'
07-01-2009, 12:48 PM
The only positive in this would be getting more fans in the seats.
If they keep Felton, then there's no doubt that AI would be told by Brown that, if he comes here, his playing time would likely come off the bench.
Although, Bell off the bench might help him last longer since he's becoming injury prone.

Poor reasoning !!!! Larry Brown wants Allen Iverson to come to Bobcats in order to lead the team. Felton is not good enough, Iverson is a superdupa star in the NBA, the best in the world perennial top 10 in three out of five major categories (Scoring, assists, steals). Four times scoring champion, the only player amongst those currently playing to lead the NBA in steals and scoring in a season, rookie of the year (better than Kobe, Ray Allen etc ), MVP, a perennial allstar and much more. Just last year he ranked 3rd in scoring, top 10 in assists and steals. AI is in top shape and form and young, just 34 and considering the availability of modern technology, the fact that he has not had a career threatening injury, he is a lot younger than 34.

bigvdebo86
07-01-2009, 01:39 PM
yeah i agree allen iverson will start for bobcats and with ai they are playoff contenders he fill the seats and he will make them alot better they can be a 4 or 5 seed in the east with ai

op12
07-01-2009, 01:48 PM
i really dont see him putting that many fans in the seats. he might be able to help them to the playoffs for a year or 2 but i think he would mess up henderson and others development. dont really like the idea but i could be wrong. need a starting c.

TyHill
07-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Not much to lose bringing AI in. Sell tickets,merchandise,etc he will help for 2 years being in the playoffs yes but then other semi-big to big names will be like Hey its not so bad to go to Charlotte. It will bring in some players..its a gamble with his attitude but ill take it if it makes us better and NOTICED in 1-2 years.

Reedball
07-01-2009, 07:05 PM
Really, other players are wanting to go to Charlotte because AI did? I cant think of anyone who would say, "My game is going to be better because of AI." That guy is a cancer to the team he plays for. He would ruin any possible chemistry this team is trying to build. He'd be here at most two years and what do we do with Henderson or Augustine? Waste the money we are paying them? Get real...he would hurt the team, before helping them.

JakeDelbreezy
07-02-2009, 07:52 AM
Why do people keep believing that AI can turn a team around? He wanted out of Philly b/c he thought they couldn't win and they proceed to make the playoffs two years in a row after he leaves. He goes to Denver who is a marginal playoff team with AI, they trade him and what do you know they're in the Western Conference Finals...he goes to Detroit and the team becomes a complete trainwreck and he's a major distraction. Now Charlotte has and up and coming team and people want to bring a guy in who stinks on Defense (which is our calling card) and he has to dominate the ball to do anything, which means Felton and Diaw would both become lessor players. AI is not a leader, he makes no one around him better and he's actually only made teams worse...I think AI coming to Charlotte would be one of the worst possible moves that Charlotte could make.

masalex1205
07-02-2009, 02:19 PM
why do people keep believing that ai can turn a team around? He wanted out of philly b/c he thought they couldn't win and they proceed to make the playoffs two years in a row after he leaves. He goes to denver who is a marginal playoff team with ai, they trade him and what do you know they're in the western conference finals...he goes to detroit and the team becomes a complete trainwreck and he's a major distraction. Now charlotte has and up and coming team and people want to bring a guy in who stinks on defense (which is our calling card) and he has to dominate the ball to do anything, which means felton and diaw would both become lessor players. Ai is not a leader, he makes no one around him better and he's actually only made teams worse...i think ai coming to charlotte would be one of the worst possible moves that charlotte could make.

+1

GreatMustachio1
07-02-2009, 02:27 PM
I would much rather us get Rasheed Wallace than Allen Iverson. He would help us in an area we desperately need help in. If we had him, we would be a very strong and very deep team.

NBA_Starter
07-02-2009, 04:54 PM
With every hour that passes a new twist or a twist re-emerges...

Bobcats To Explore Possibility Of Adding All-Star Guard Allen Iverson

Iverson was spotted in Charlotte in May, when Brown said he'd have no problems coaching him again and Iverson's agent indicated his client would be open to playing for the Bobcats.
Leon Rose declined further comment on Tuesday, but he's expected to talk to the Bobcats as the free agency negotiating period starts Wednesday.
“Even though there are things that went on during our careers, the work he did was phenomenal,’ Brown said recently. “He wants to win, he competes every night, he plays hurt.”
Brown did question whether the Bobcats, who have never won more than 35 games in a season, would be a good fit for a player seeking to win an NBA title before retiring. But Rose said his client would have no qualms coming to Charlotte.

http://www.theweeklychallenger.com/News/article/article.asp?NewsID=97455&sID=41

Several NBA sources have confirmed to me that controversial and wildly popular guard Allen Iverson - through representatives - has made the Grizzlies aware that he would like to play in Memphis.

http://blogs.commercialappeal.com/the_memphis_edge/2009/07/destination-memphis-iverson-interested-in-griz.html

Branwegner84
07-02-2009, 05:54 PM
This is BAD, real BAD, like Michel Jackson...... Better off with Wallace or even Rip

Reedball
07-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Brandon Bass of Dallas and Antonio McDyess are the players the Bobcats are courting. Charlotte Observer noted that they are in the preliminary talks with both agents. This makes more sense than AI. AI also expressed interest in wanting to play for the Grizz.

TyHill
07-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Brandon Bass of Dallas and Antonio McDyess are the players the Bobcats are courting. Charlotte Observer noted that they are in the preliminary talks with both agents. This makes more sense than AI. AI also expressed interest in wanting to play for the Grizz.

That would be nice to get Bass here but that means our back court is completely stacked. Does that mean were moving Nazr, Diop, Radman or maybe even Mek??

Chateamsfan
07-04-2009, 12:47 PM
That would be nice to get Bass here but that means our back court is completely stacked. Does that mean were moving Nazr, Diop, Radman or maybe even Mek??

Why the he(double hockey sticks) would we move EMEKA?

DerekRE_3
07-04-2009, 02:28 PM

Diop would back up Emeka.
Bass would back up Diaw.
Nazr would be there for depth purposes, injuries happen. Who knows, he may outplay Diop and be Emeka's backup, anything can happen.
Raman is more of an SF than a PF, he would back up Wallace.

Felton/Augustin/Jefferson
Bell/Henderson/Jefferson
Wallace/Radman/Brown
Diaw/Bass/Radman
Okafor/Diop/Mohammed

Pretty deep team right there.

TomahawkChopper
07-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Why do people keep believing that AI can turn a team around? He wanted out of Philly b/c he thought they couldn't win and they proceed to make the playoffs two years in a row after he leaves. He goes to Denver who is a marginal playoff team with AI, they trade him and what do you know they're in the Western Conference Finals...he goes to Detroit and the team becomes a complete trainwreck and he's a major distraction. Now Charlotte has and up and coming team and people want to bring a guy in who stinks on Defense (which is our calling card) and he has to dominate the ball to do anything, which means Felton and Diaw would both become lessor players. AI is not a leader, he makes no one around him better and he's actually only made teams worse...I think AI coming to Charlotte would be one of the worst possible moves that Charlotte could make.

haha when people make statements like these it really makes me laugh because they intentionally leave out half of the story to make their arguement sound better (or at least that what it looks they are doing).

Statement #1: He wanted out of Philly b/c he thought they couldn't win and they proceed to make the playoffs two years in a row after he leaves.

Forgets to mention: Philly added Elton Brand and Andre Miller to the team after Iverson left, hence them making the playoffs. The Sixers did not make the playoffs by subtraction of Iverson but yet because of the additions of Miller and Brand.

Statement #2: He goes to Denver who is a marginal playoff team with AI, they trade him and what do you know they're in the Western Conference Finals

Forgets to mention: In the Iverson trade the Nuggets aquired one of the top PGs in the league Chauncey Billups. Iverson is not a point gaurd, he is a 2Guard. Billups is obviously far and above Iverson as a PG and that was what Denver needed. So again Denver did not become a Finals WCF team by getting rid of Iverson as you like to pass it off, but they became a WCF team by adding one of the top PGs in the league in Billups.

Statement #3: he goes to Detroit and the team becomes a complete trainwreck and he's a major distraction.

Forgets to Mention: This one is my favorite one, because anyone who believes Iverson was brought to Detroit to try to make them a better team is a complete fool. He was brought there strictly to have his salary come off the books. If he was brought into make the team better they would of traded RIP for him instead of Billups. That train was set on collision course the minute Dumars decided to trade Billups and break up this team and start over it didnt matter who was coming in it was going to fail. You explain to me how anyone is suppose to succeed in an enviorment where a team just trades away there best player, the rest of the team doesnt want you there because you are the reason Billups is gone and you have a coach that doesnt even speak to his players because they dont respect him. He was put into a situation to fail from the get go and it was because he was brought in for strictly his contract and nothing else. If you dont see that I feel bad for you. Now Im not saying that Iverson couldnt of possibly handled it a lil better but to blame him for that trainwreck is ridiculous and ignorant.

JakeDelbreezy
07-05-2009, 09:31 PM
haha when people make statements like these it really makes me laugh because they intentionally leave out half of the story to make their arguement sound better (or at least that what it looks they are doing).

Statement #1: He wanted out of Philly b/c he thought they couldn't win and they proceed to make the playoffs two years in a row after he leaves.

Forgets to mention: Philly added Elton Brand and Andre Miller to the team after Iverson left, hence them making the playoffs. The Sixers did not make the playoffs by subtraction of Iverson but yet because of the additions of Miller and Brand.

Statement #2: He goes to Denver who is a marginal playoff team with AI, they trade him and what do you know they're in the Western Conference Finals

Forgets to mention: In the Iverson trade the Nuggets aquired one of the top PGs in the league Chauncey Billups. Iverson is not a point gaurd, he is a 2Guard. Billups is obviously far and above Iverson as a PG and that was what Denver needed. So again Denver did not become a Finals WCF team by getting rid of Iverson as you like to pass it off, but they became a WCF team by adding one of the top PGs in the league in Billups.

Statement #3: he goes to Detroit and the team becomes a complete trainwreck and he's a major distraction.

Forgets to Mention: This one is my favorite one, because anyone who believes Iverson was brought to Detroit to try to make them a better team is a complete fool. He was brought there strictly to have his salary come off the books. If he was brought into make the team better they would of traded RIP for him instead of Billups. That train was set on collision course the minute Dumars decided to trade Billups and break up this team and start over it didnt matter who was coming in it was going to fail. You explain to me how anyone is suppose to succeed in an enviorment where a team just trades away there best player, the rest of the team doesnt want you there because you are the reason Billups is gone and you have a coach that doesnt even speak to his players because they dont respect him. He was put into a situation to fail from the get go and it was because he was brought in for strictly his contract and nothing else. If you dont see that I feel bad for you. Now Im not saying that Iverson couldnt of possibly handled it a lil better but to blame him for that trainwreck is ridiculous and ignorant.

Glad to see an AI apologist, and one with such classy statements at that.

So you're saying Elton Brand and the 29 games he played got the Sixers in the playoffs (even though he averaged career lows in Points, Assists, Block, FG%, FT% and averaged the second fewest rbs of his career)? AI averaged more points and as many assists as Andre Miller the season the trade went down yet the team got better just b/c they got Miller? It had nothing to do with the fact the other players on the Sixers could now play instead of watching a ball hog? I guess your implying these teams didn't get better by losing AI despite the fact their records got better (or worse in Detroits case). Sure the teams got players....and the teams got better. Any way you slice it you're arguing my case. Teams are willing to deal AI b/c doing so would make them better. Curry lost control of Detroit b/c AI was/is a bad teammate. He knew AI would wreak havoc if he didn't start, so he let him start...later in the season when AI came back from injury (another reason Bobcats should steer clear) he was asked to come off the bench and he had one of his AI soap opera moments (yet another reason the Bobcats should steer clear). Where was AI in the playoffs when Detroit needed all the fire power they could manage? He was on the sofa just like me and you b/c his team would rather play without him. Sure he sounds exactly like the leader Charlotte needs. If a team full of playoff tested veterans can't manage AI what makes you think a team full of youngsters like Charlotte can? He's old (and probably about to become very injury prone), he plays no defense, he doesn't make those around him better, he sets bad examples for young guys. It should also be mentioned that Joe Dumars has tried to aquire at various times since 2000, so while it was common knowledge AI's salary coming off the books was huge, I'm sure Joe D thought AI could still contribute, and contribute he did not.

TomahawkChopper
07-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Glad to see an AI apologist, and one with such classy statements at that.

So you're saying Elton Brand and the 29 games he played got the Sixers in the playoffs (even though he averaged career lows in Points, Assists, Block, FG%, FT% and averaged the second fewest rbs of his career)? AI averaged more points and as many assists as Andre Miller the season the trade went down yet the team got better just b/c they got Miller? It had nothing to do with the fact the other players on the Sixers could now play instead of watching a ball hog? I guess your implying these teams didn't get better by losing AI despite the fact their records got better (or worse in Detroits case). Sure the teams got players....and the teams got better. Any way you slice it you're arguing my case. Teams are willing to deal AI b/c doing so would make them better. Curry lost control of Detroit b/c AI was/is a bad teammate. He knew AI would wreak havoc if he didn't start, so he let him start...later in the season when AI came back from injury (another reason Bobcats should steer clear) he was asked to come off the bench and he had one of his AI soap opera moments (yet another reason the Bobcats should steer clear). Where was AI in the playoffs when Detroit needed all the fire power they could manage? He was on the sofa just like me and you b/c his team would rather play without him. Sure he sounds exactly like the leader Charlotte needs. If a team full of playoff tested veterans can't manage AI what makes you think a team full of youngsters like Charlotte can? He's old (and probably about to become very injury prone), he plays no defense, he doesn't make those around him better, he sets bad examples for young guys. It should also be mentioned that Joe Dumars has tried to aquire at various times since 2000, so while it was common knowledge AI's salary coming off the books was huge, I'm sure Joe D thought AI could still contribute, and contribute he did not.

First of all I dont know what I said was unclassy, but you can take it as you please. But again you try to make it sound like they all got better STRICTLY because AI left the team. But I could point out that Iverson did take a team to the NBA Finals just like you can point out following seasons. But we all know that other factors made a play.

And I am far from an AI apologist. AI is not a great defender. That is why he needs to be paired with a bigger solid point guard. If you look at Iversons recent years with Philly and Detroit. He never had a PG. They either tried to make him the point, which will not work because he just not a point gaurd. Or they gave him guys like Anthony Carter also not going to work. If you look at Iversons greatest years he had Eric Snow (No Allstar but a bigger, good defender, servicable PG) paired with him and was also on a good defensive team. I would of liked to see Denver keep Blake for the 2nd year he was with them. I think they worked pretty well together but didnt really have enough time to mesh in that first only half a season. Would of been intresting to see how they did the following year if he stayed on with them.

But like I mentioned in the first post, Never said Iverson was perfect because hes far from it. There are a lot of things he could of and should of done different. But these cliche lines that hes a ball hog and destroys teams are just overplayed and untrue. In the full year he had with the Nuggets not only did he decrease the average shots he took but he also managed his highest shooting percentage of his career.

But I guess these discussions are pretty pointless because some people just hate the guy and will refuse to look at his acomplishments and just call him a cancer. I just hope he is smart enough to put himself in a position he can succeed. Charlotte I believe is one of those places, not contender status obvious but it is a situation I think both parties can benefit from. Mainly because Larry Brown is an amazing coach, and believe me if he didnt think AI would work with his team he would be the first to say so. So the fact that he said he'd welcome it is saying something.

So I guess if me bringing up the possibility that everything that ever went wrong doesnt ALL lay on the shoulders of Allen Iverson makes me an "AI apologist" then so be it.

NBA_Starter
07-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Who do we need to try to acquire since this Iverson thing likely isn't going to happen?

Kouki_Monstah
07-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Who do we need to try to acquire since this Iverson thing likely isn't going to happen?

Put MJ in a uniform. At 45, I say hes still better than Bell or Henderson. :)

MSU Spartans313
07-06-2009, 12:04 AM
AI most likely will end up in Memphis

NBA_Starter
07-06-2009, 02:06 PM
AI most likely will end up in Memphis

Honestly I've lost all hope and care on the situation, our F.O. has not even appeared to blink at the thought of adding Iverson, so I have to trust them that it's for a good reason and move on!:confused:

DerekRE_3
07-06-2009, 07:57 PM
You are the only Bobcat fan I've seen that wants us to add AI.

NBA_Starter
07-06-2009, 11:25 PM
You are the only Bobcat fan I've seen that wants us to add AI.

Haha, I did but I'm so over it now besides that would cut into my man Henderson's PT!!:confused: