PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Hanson or David Price

hawksd911
06-29-2009, 11:07 AM
If you can pick just one of these future stars who would you pick?

hawksd911
06-29-2009, 11:10 AM
I chose Hanson because 1. He hasnt aloud a run in his last 3 starts and 2 of them were the Yankees and the Redsocks and 2. He is a little younger and 3. Its a homer pick...

Havoc Wreaker
06-29-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm not going to vote....Hanson has looked very nice, while Price has had problems with control but he did look studly in the postseason last year

atl_braves_fan
06-29-2009, 11:29 AM
I'll take Hanson, but that also probably has a little bit of a homer bias in there.

uncblue2332
06-29-2009, 11:37 AM
I take hanson for these reasons

1. Has 4 good pitches compared to Price who has 3
2. Hanson can be dominate even against great offenses like NYY abd BOS
3. I will take a low ERA over strikeouts and a higher ERA anyday. At the end of the day an out is an out and a sub 3 era is better than sub 4 or 4.something.

BALLER71
06-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Yeah let's Hanson is better because of a few starts... :rolleyes:

Zep
06-29-2009, 11:43 AM
I'd take Price I think, but this isn't a really fair poll as 1-2 years aren't the best sample sizes with which to determine a fair comparison. Even so, I've broken down some relevant stats below:

All numbers for Price are '09 (career), Hanson only been in the league this year, so the stat listed is both 09, and career.

Price -24 years old-1+ years in the majors
Hanson -23 years old-<1 Year in the majors

G
Price: 7 (12)
Hanson: 5

ERA
Price: 3.93 (3.38)
Hanson: 2.48

FIP
Price: 5.21 (4.71)
Hanson: 5.12

tRA
Price: 6.37
Hanson: 6.52

tRA*
Price: 5.00
Hanson: 4.89

WAR
Price: -.2
Hanson: -.2

WHIP
Price: 1.55 (1.38)
Hanson: 1.41

BABIP
Price: .281 (.266)
Hanson: .248

K/9
Price: 9.08 (8.70)
Hanson: 5.59

Looks kind of like a wash after looking at them more closely, but making a comparison when one of the guys only has 5 games under his belt is a bit early...

ThisIsTheYear
06-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Price is a lefty, so thats an advantage.

Mile High Champ
06-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Hanson but as some of you have said Price is lefty and great one's are tough to find.

atl_braves_fan
06-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Looks kind of like a wash after looking at them more closely, but making a comparison when one of the guys only has 5 games under his belt is a bit early...

Good point ... let's wait 2 more games until they have the same number of starts :rolleyes:

Zep
06-29-2009, 11:57 AM
Good point ... let's wait 2 more games until they have the same number of starts :rolleyes:

1. Price has 12 starts on his career (which isn't even including his 5 starts in the postseason), the number 7 was representative of this season's games only.

2. I was referring to both players when I said 1-2 years is too small of a sample size for a fair comparison (which is why I said 1-2 years aren't the best sample sizes...plural), but thanks for getting all up in arms because you thought I was only referring to Hanson....:rolleyes:

Bravefan29
06-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Price is going to be a great pitcher, and him being a lefty would usually help sway me, but even if I was not a braves fan I would say Hanson, his stuff is electric and he is a very large/menacing presence on the mound.
He also has multiple pitches he can throw for strikes on a regular basis, if he did not have the jitters he had in his first outing his ERA would be way lower. I also think it helps that the Braves have such a strong rotation this year it will help him mature faster, if he continues pitching the way he is he will possibly be the NL ROY.

atl_braves_fan
06-29-2009, 12:10 PM
1. Price has 12 starts on his career (which isn't even including his 5 starts in the postseason), the number 7 was representative of this season's games only.

2. I was referring to both players when I said 1-2 years is too small of a sample size for a fair comparison (which is why I said 1-2 years aren't the best sample sizes...plural), but thanks for getting all up in arms because you thought I was only referring to Hanson....:rolleyes:

David Price actually only has 8 starts in his career (and he didn't start any games in the postseason), so you may want to check your facts before you start preaching. Also, you said that it was silly to make the comparison when one of them had 5 starts (clearly referring to Hanson). The point is that when you are comparing prospects early in their careers, the fact that one has 5 starts and one has 8 starts shouldn't bear into the comparison. The question is really "based on the limited knowledge that we have, which would you rather have." Alternatively, if you think the comparison is silly, don't vote, just click on another thread.

Zep
06-29-2009, 12:25 PM
David Price actually only has 8 starts in his career (and he didn't start any games in the postseason), so you may want to check your facts before you start preaching.

That's correct, my bad.

Also, you said that it was silly to make the comparison when one of them had 5 starts (clearly referring to Hanson).

Also right, Price's 7 starts are not a good sample size either, but Hanson's 5 is even worse. I thought that would be obvious.

The point is that when you are comparing prospects early in their careers, the fact that one has 5 starts and one has 8 starts shouldn't bear into the comparison. The question is really "based on the limited knowledge that we have, which would you rather have." Alternatively, if you think the comparison is silly, don't vote, just click on another thread.

That's pretty much exactly what I was referring to when I said that their sample sizes (there, I'll type it again just for you) are too small for a comparison. And last time I checked, giving one's opinion (even if that opinion is *gasp* that a comparison might be premature!) is still allowed, and even encouraged here. Thanks for the advice though.

BRADY4MVP
06-29-2009, 12:25 PM
cant go wrong with either, but ill take price since he is a lefty

Hustla23
06-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Tommy Hanson looks untouchable right now.

He'll get lit up at some point but he's shown some great stuff so far.

atl_braves_fan
06-29-2009, 12:36 PM
That's pretty much exactly what I was referring to when I said that their sample sizes (there, I'll type it again just for you) are too small for a comparison. And last time I checked, giving one's opinion (even if that opinion is *gasp* that a comparison might be premature!) is still allowed, and even encouraged here. Thanks for the advice though.

How is it premature to compare two often talked about prospects that each have a few starts under their belts?

By the way, saying that a comparison is silly or premature is not an opinion on the question asked, it is an opinion on others' opinions. That is actually not encouraged here.

Zep
06-29-2009, 12:40 PM
How is it premature to compare two often talked about prospects that each have a few starts under their belts?

It's premature because of sample size, simple as that. You can draw conclusions all you want on prospects based on their minor league numbers and very small amount of starts in the bigs, and likewise, I can have the opinion that to draw those conclusions is premature.

By the way, saying that a comparison is silly or premature is not an opinion on the question asked, it is an opinion on others' opinions. That is actually not encouraged here.

It's an opinion, plain and simple. And AFAIK opinion's regarding the opinions of others is encouraged, as long as my response isn't against the CoC; and unless you have some particular bone of contention about the content of my posts that I'm missing here, nothing that I have posted is against the forum rules.

x_notorious
06-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Someone was watching First Take this morning..

hawksd911
06-29-2009, 01:38 PM
haha yeah thats how i got it from, i just wanted to see how you guys felt.

t327
06-29-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm going into homer mode. I'll take Clayton Kershaw!

NCBoSoxfan21
06-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Price. Lefty with three great pitches.

Hanson has two great pitches. And two okay ones.

CY24
06-29-2009, 07:02 PM
both on my Fantasy team. :D

Lincecum4CY
06-29-2009, 07:23 PM
Yeah let's Hanson is better because of a few starts... :rolleyes:

Correct me if i'm wrong...but wasnt Hanson a top prospect before he even got called up? Its not like he came out of no where...

i'd pick Hanson to have the better career.

Vinny642
06-29-2009, 09:02 PM
I take Price for the future but right now Hanson but they both a great

todu82
06-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Tommy Hanson. Still this is going to be close. Both have the stuff to excellent pitchers over the course of their careers.

MJ-BULLS
07-01-2009, 03:39 PM
ill take Hanson, but both have electric stuff

Sport
07-01-2009, 05:12 PM
I chose Hanson because 1. He hasnt aloud a run in his last 3 starts and 2 of them were the Yankees and the Redsocks and 2. He is a little younger and 3. Its a homer pick...

Price has done more in the majors, so I'll take him, although there is no denying that Hanson has a promising future ahead of him.

Saint Brian
07-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Hanson

Giannis94
07-03-2009, 12:07 AM
price

Burkey3472
07-03-2009, 12:45 PM
You can't go wrong with either of these pitchers, both are going to have great careers in the majors, but i'll take Price.

Sportfan
07-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Price