PDA

View Full Version : Rank the 6 teams the Bulls faced in the NBA finals

AirJordan23
06-29-2009, 08:40 AM
Here's mine.

1. Phoenix Suns. They had an MVP in prime Barkley, explosive PG in KJ who could pass and score very effectively (he was injured that season, though), Majerle who was a solid defender and great 3 point shooter, Chambers, Dumas, Ceballos and Danny Ainge. Team was well built for a guy like Barkley. Bunch of shooters and you could run the offense through KJ as well.

2. Seattle Supersonics. Great defensive team. DPOY Payton, Kemp, the Hawk, Sam Perkins, Schrempf etc. Nice balanced attack.

3. Portland Trailblazers. This was team was pretty loaded and balanced. Clyde, Porter, Kersey, Robinson, Ainge, Duckworth, Williams etc.

4. 1997 Utah Jazz. Smart offensive team that relied on fundamentals. This was Stockton's last great season since he had a knee injury next season that started the decline. MVP Malone and a very efficient scorer in Hornacek who was great at moving off the ball.

5. LA Lakers. Reason it's low is because Magic and Worthy were starting to decline. The Bulls also won in 5 games. They were still a vet team and experienced which was the main reason they were expected to come out victorious.

6. 1998 Utah Jazz. Stockton was on the decline and Russell didn't have as big of an impact coming off the bench as he did while starting like in '97. This team wasn't as balanced as some of the teams above since they relied heavily on the Stockton/Malone PNR which was very effective.

JordansBulls
06-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Here's mine.

1. Phoenix Suns. They had an MVP in prime Barkley, explosive PG in KJ who could pass and score very effectively (he was injured that season, though), Majerle who was a solid defender and great 3 point shooter, Chambers, Dumas, Ceballos and Danny Ainge. Team was well built for a guy like Barkley. Bunch of shooters and you could run the offense through KJ as well.

2. Seattle Supersonics. Great defensive team. DPOY Payton, Kemp, the Hawk, Sam Perkins, Schrempf etc. Nice balanced attack.

3. Portland Trailblazers. This was team was pretty loaded and balanced. Clyde, Porter, Kersey, Robinson, Ainge, Duckworth, Williams etc.

4. 1997 Utah Jazz. Smart offensive team that relied on fundamentals. This was Stockton's last great season since he had a knee injury next season that started the decline. MVP Malone and a very efficient scorer in Hornacek who was great at moving off the ball.

5. LA Lakers. Reason it's low is because Magic and Worthy were starting to decline. The Bulls also won in 5 games. They were still a vet team and experienced which was the main reason they were expected to come out victorious.

6. 1998 Utah Jazz. Stockton was on the decline and Russell didn't have as big of an impact coming off the bench as he did while starting like in '97. This team wasn't as balanced as some of the teams above since they relied heavily on the Stockton/Malone PNR which was very effective.

All of them were tough, but there is no way the 1998 Jazz are last.

That team goes thru the Rockets with Hakeem, Barkley, Drexler and then the Robinson and Duncan Spurs (both getting 21/11 and 3) and then the Lakers who had 4 allstars that year and won 60+ games.

I would say 1993 and 1998 Jazz are #1 and #2 and the reason is because they had the HCA over us.

AirJordan23
06-29-2009, 03:53 PM
That team goes thru the Rockets with Hakeem, Barkley, Drexler and then the Robinson and Duncan Spurs (both getting 21/11 and 3) and then the Lakers who had 4 allstars that year and won 60+ games.
JB, the Rockets were way past their prime and Barkley barely did anything that series. Barkley was injured and basically had no impact. Drexler and Hakeem were past their prime as well. The team didn't have any PG, either.

Robinson was past his prime. IIRC, he was coming off that season where he was injured and TD was a rookie. They were facing a vet and experienced team in Utah with Malone playing at an MVP level. Utah were the favorites.

With LA, 4 all stars don't tell the whole story since the team was poorly coached and Kobe wasn't really playing at an all star level. Jazz had them figured out and their experience was too much for LA. They controlled the tempo of the games throughout the series.

I would say 1993 and 1998 Jazz are #1 and #2 and the reason is because they had the HCA over us.

You have to factor in the Bulls' average age. Jordan was 35, Pip was getting old and missed half of the season, Harper was basically a spot up shooter and Rodman was getting old too. My point is that the Bulls had their own issues to deal with so HCA doesn't really tell the whole story. Also, the Jazz got blown out by 42 points in game 3. Add in the fact that Stockton was on the decline due to the knee injury and they had the least talent out of any of the 5 other teams, I put them at 6.

JordansBulls
06-29-2009, 04:11 PM
JB, the Rockets were way past their prime and Barkley barely did anything that series. Barkley was injured and basically had no impact. Drexler and Hakeem were past their prime as well. The team didn't have any PG, either.

Robinson was past his prime. IIRC, he was coming off that season where he was injured and TD was a rookie. They were facing a vet and experienced team in Utah with Malone playing at an MVP level. Utah were the favorites.

With LA, 4 all stars don't tell the whole story since the team was poorly coached and Kobe wasn't really playing at an all star level. Jazz had them figured out and their experience was too much for LA. They controlled the tempo of the games throughout the series.

You have to factor in the Bulls' average age. Jordan was 35, Pip was getting old and missed half of the season, Harper was basically a spot up shooter and Rodman was getting old too. My point is that the Bulls had their own issues to deal with so HCA doesn't really tell the whole story. Also, the Jazz got blown out by 42 points in game 3. Add in the fact that Stockton was on the decline due to the knee injury and they had the least talent out of any of the 5 other teams, I put them at 6.

The Jazz were older than the Rockets. So using the old age is no excuse in this instance as all of them were old. Robinson had the injury but that was his last great season he played in 1998 where he averaged 21/11 and 3.

Jazz were heavily favorites over us and they ran thru the western conference while we barely got by Indiana. I can't check youtubes at work, but there is a youtube when I get a chance where MJ speaks about how Utah was expected to blow us out of the water.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/events/1998/playoffs/burns/burnsfinal.html

Teams are 20-6 in series with HCA in the finals in the 2-3-2 format. Overall teams with HCA win 80-90% of series whereas the teams without HCA win 10-20%. MJ was undefeated in series where he had HCA but lost a quite a few series without HCA.

Max Power
06-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Suns
Jazz
Jazz
Blazers
Sonics
Lakers

AirJordan23
06-29-2009, 04:39 PM
The Jazz were older than the Rockets. So using the old age is no excuse in this instance as all of them were old. Robinson had the injury but that was his last great season he played in 1998 where he averaged 21/11 and 3.
The difference is that the Jazz had AMAZING conditioning while the Rockets didn't. Why do you think Malone and Stockton were elite late in their careers?..It's all due to their work ethic and superb conditioning. The Spurs still had a rookie Duncan who I remember was inconsistent in the playoffs and couldn't have those huge games every night like he did back in the early 00s.

Jazz were heavily favorites over us and they ran thru the western conference while we barely got by Indiana. I can't check youtubes at work, but there is a youtube when I get a chance where MJ speaks about how Utah was expected to blow us out of the water.

You're right but it's not all about who the favorites were like you suggest it is. '91 Lakers were also favored over the Bulls due to match ups and experience. That didn't turn out very well for LA since those experts didn't account for Jordan's historic performance. My point is that those experts often don't take every variable into account. You're definitely right about the Jazz being favored over the Bulls because of the Bulls age and fatigue but they never took into account the fact that Jordan played at a real high level for a 35 year old and Malone's epic chokejobs in crunch time.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/events/1998/playoffs/burns/burnsfinal.html
Teams are 20-6 in series with HCA in the finals in the 2-3-2 format. Overall teams with HCA win 80-90% of series whereas the teams without HCA win 10-20%. MJ was undefeated in series where he had HCA but lost a quite a few series without HCA.
I'm well aware of that but I don't know what you're trying to prove with that. There are certain situations and circumstances that you need to take into account. A guy like MJ wasn't really effected by the opposing teams' crowd. As loud as the Delta center was, MJ wasn't effected one bit. Just look at the flu game and the shot in game 6. He never let the crowd get in his head and effect his performance. The time when MJ lost without home court was when he had a poor team around him like the mid and late 80s Bulls. That changed in the 90s since Pippen and Grant matured, got mentally and physically tough and played at a higher level. When did MJ lose a series without HCA where he was expected to win?...The answer is 0. The only one that you can make somewhat of an argument for is the '95 ECSF with Magic and Chicago and even then the Bulls weren't expected to win because they lacked interior defense, rebounding and someone to guard Shaq since Grant had left.

I'm not denying home court isn't an advantage but it isn't the ONE AND ONLY FACTOR like you make it to be. Several teams have overcome it like the '95 Rockets, LA back in Sacramento in '02, Spurs against the Hornets in '08 etc.

big c
06-30-2009, 02:49 AM
1.sea
2.por
3.phx
4.&5.uta
6.lal

op12
06-30-2009, 11:55 AM
97 jazz- stockton, hornacek, malone

93 suns-kj, chuck, thunder dan

98 jazz- i think malone was actually better this year so could switch the 2