PDA

View Full Version : should there be a rule regarding players entering the draft?

Kid Fabulous
06-29-2009, 01:22 AM
this whole ricky rubio thing has got me thinking. should there be a rule that says if you enter the draft, the team decides what they wanna do with you? keep you in the u.s, send you over seas etc. i mean this sucks for a team like the timberwolves. i know they hold his rights still. but damn this young unproven guy still holds all the cards and prolly the wolves wasted a pick at 5. sure they can just trade him away. i dont know just seems to me that they hold all the leverage

bogdanrom
06-29-2009, 01:41 AM
No it's up to the team to find out if the player they choose will leave or stay with them.

Sport
06-29-2009, 01:49 AM
No it's up to the team to find out if the player they choose will leave or stay with them.

It shouldn't be that way, though. What right does a kid who will be making millions of dollars have in saying that he doesn't wanna play for a certain team? I find that complete bull****, and not just because I'm a Wolves fan. The kid has done nothing in the NBA, so where does he get off thinking he is better than an NBA organization?

If he wants to be a ***** and stay overseas, fine. I just hope the Wolves hang on to him for as long as possible so he doesn't get his way.

naztrack
06-29-2009, 01:51 AM
simply put NO

lakers4sho
06-29-2009, 02:16 AM
this whole ricky rubio thing has got me thinking. should there be a rule that says if you enter the draft, the team decides what they wanna do with you? keep you in the u.s, send you over seas etc. i mean this sucks for a team like the timberwolves. i know they hold his rights still. but damn this young unproven guy still holds all the cards and prolly the wolves wasted a pick at 5. sure they can just trade him away. i dont know just seems to me that they hold all the leverage

So you're basically taking away players rights?? :eyebrow:

How about you deal with his 6 million buyout first? :shrug:

Hellcrooner
06-29-2009, 02:43 AM
Op you are crazy.

and a Imperialist.

who the hell you think nba is?

Rubio has a CONTRACT with Jouventut.

TO get rid of that contract you have to pay 4,7 million euros ( 6 million dollars)

so if they want to decide waht to do with him they have to put the money first.

Oh byt wait sttupid nba rules onlhy allow to pay a ridiculous 500k in buyouts.....

Oh waht a pity , Oh the kid was more than happy to pay his rookie contract to pay the buyout

but oh waht a pity he slipped to 5th pick so even if getting 0 dollars of hsi contract it still not ENOUGh to pay his buyout.

So?

What can he do?

only two things

1 play out his contract and join wolves in TWO years.

2 As he REALLY wants to play NOW in the league,, Look for a team on a BIG market to make ENDORSERS interested in him and pay the buyout for him to be released from jouventut.

TEJ
06-29-2009, 03:09 AM
I don't think players should enter the draft when they are not ready to play for an NBA team yet. Would you apply for a job that you were contractually not ready to take or you weren't ready to accept?

DitchDat
06-29-2009, 03:30 AM
I don't think players should enter the draft when they are not ready to play for an NBA team yet. Would you apply for a job that you were contractually not ready to take or you weren't ready to accept?

exactly.

blazerman
06-29-2009, 03:36 AM
It shouldn't be that way, though. What right does a kid who will be making millions of dollars have in saying that he doesn't wanna play for a certain team? I find that complete bull****, and not just because I'm a Wolves fan. The kid has done nothing in the NBA, so where does he get off thinking he is better than an NBA organization?

If he wants to be a ***** and stay overseas, fine. I just hope the Wolves hang on to him for as long as possible so he doesn't get his way.

I agree 100% with you. Also if a guy enters the draft he should be required to play if the nba team that chooses him desires or face fines and suspensions just like football for not reporting.

I hate that crap, when a guy enters the draft and pouts to get his way and if he knew he might not play in the NBA then he shoud'nt have entered the draft because were sitting here feeling cheated as fans because he's basically saying screw you to the fans also.

If he doesnt play for the Wolves then Ill be anti Rubio even if he became a Blazer!

I think Eli Manning is a total punk and Ive never liked him and it took me over a decade before I would even acknowledge John Elway as a top quarterback because of his crap too.

arkanian215
06-29-2009, 08:38 AM
no. the player has every right as well as his current club to decide where he plays. he is still under contract to another club. the nba team that selects him will have the rights to him if he chooses to play in the nba but the player is contractually obligated to play for his current club. his current club's right to him expire as soon as he enters FA or he is bought out from his current contract.

arkanian215
06-29-2009, 08:41 AM
people apply for jobs all the time while they are still employed. the self-employed look for future contracts while they are under current contracts so they can find something to lineup for the future.

arkanian215
06-29-2009, 08:53 AM
the point of the 500k buyout limit is to prevent talented players from dropping too far in the draft due to buyout demands that small market teams often cannot afford. it helps take the big market factor out of the equation, but doesn't always. Look at the mlb drafts. many players drop because they want large guaranteed contracts. same with the mls draft. the good players from college will apply for generation adidas contracts so they can earn more while it limits the big market factor for mls teams. a small market team doesn't have to worry as much about being able to pay for these kids.
the european system favors big market teams and large buyouts help ensure that if a big market wants to obtain a player during the transfer windows. teams like real madrid and cska moskow do the same in their respective leagues in soccer and do the same in euroleague.