PDA

View Full Version : Rubio...the next Rafer Alston?

FOBolous
06-28-2009, 08:34 PM
someone from the Rockets' forum made this comparison and after thinking about it...i find it to be very true. Both players are amazing ball handlers...both players are amazing passers and good playmakers...both players like to make fancy passes. Not coincidentally...both players are poor shooters and poor finishers. As far as athletic abilities go...I rank Rafer higher than Rubio. Not to mention both players are prodigies. Rubio started playing pro ball in Europe at 14 while Rafer is the Michael Jordan of the And1 circuit

so what do yall think? is it an accurate comparison? do yall think Rubio is going to become like Rafer Alston or do yall think Rubio has the potential to better? why do you think Rubio has the potential to be better?

Joshtd1
06-28-2009, 08:45 PM
I dont think so. Rubio is young, and has plenty of time for his shot to get better. Also I think Rubio will be a much better PG then Alston..in terms of running the offense and play making.

Penetra8r
06-28-2009, 08:47 PM
No

Catfish1314
06-28-2009, 09:13 PM
Rubio has that Steve Nash, Jason Kidd-esque court vision. Rafer Alston doesn't. Or if he does, he certainly doesn't take advantage of it. That's why Rubio will be better than Alston and if I had to bet, a lot better.

madiaz3
06-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Rubio has a higher bball IQ than Rafer.

FaceDown91
06-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Rubio is Nash but a much better defender.

madiaz3
06-28-2009, 09:29 PM

But worse shooter, arguably as good a finisher though.

pc4celts39
06-28-2009, 09:42 PM
No

well said

_Sn1P3r_
06-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Rubio uses the backboard on his lay-ups though, lmao.

WoodbridgeSkins
06-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Rubio is more like Pistol Pete. He won't score like him though.

WoodbridgeSkins
06-28-2009, 11:06 PM
Rubio uses the backboard on his lay-ups though, lmao.

Don't most people use the backboard on their layups?????

Reyes6
06-28-2009, 11:24 PM
Rafer travels and commits turnovers like it was the cool thing to do.

Rubio is like 12 and his fancy passes actually go to a teammate, not the guy in the 15th row trying to enjoy his popcorn but instead has to watch Skip to My Lou try to keep it "ReAL TO THE STREETZ!!"

Living Legend
06-28-2009, 11:26 PM

bwahahahahha
hahahha

bwa hahahah

ok im done laffing.

wait....

hahahahhaha

ok now im done.

Living Legend
06-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Rubio is bigger overhype then Oden ever was.

Trust me, Rubio is not that good and I will be amazed if he even comes to the NBA.

Last I heard he was thinking about staying in Euorpe.

oballers
06-28-2009, 11:30 PM
Rafer was not a prodigy. He just had great speed and an amazing handle for a a 14 year old. But he wasn't tops in NYC at 14 let alone the world. He is not a great distributor and doesn't have tremendous B-Ball IQ. He is not a tremendous defender and he is nowhere near 6 ft 5.

Now having been a classmate of Rafers in HS, I do have mad respect for his game. But it is a streetball game at heart. Dribbling, handle and quickness are his bread and butter. Passing came as it suited him and it was meant to add flair, (Anyway a PG has to be able to pass, even Marbury can do it!). But he was never a natural quaterback/leader a Nash type distributor Never. But over the years (particularly since he entered the NBA, he has learned that fundamentals, not flair is what keeps you in the NBA and I am super proud at how his game has rounded out. (WAAAY BETTER THAN MARBURY'S GAME! Steph is the same steph I saw in HS.) Rafer is now a real PG.

But, Skip is NO Rubio when it comes to passing, court vision, PG skills. Not even the same conversation.

ntat
06-28-2009, 11:44 PM
But worse shooter, arguably as good a finisher though.

his statistics from both the euro league and olympics last year would definitely say otherwise...

dee279
06-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Yeah he wont even be as good in the NBA as Rafer if he never comes. He will be known as a bad pick.

Hellcrooner
06-29-2009, 02:48 AM
rubio has a better Iq

Rubio has something rafer never had DEFENSE.

and for gods sake Rubio will never be a NASh or a Pistol Pete ( maybe in looks)

His kind of game is taht of JASON KIDD or maybe if he learns to shoot and score GARY PAYTON

TEJ
06-29-2009, 03:03 AM

:laugh:

Get back to us when he wins 2 MVPs, and breaks Nash's record of 50% field goals, 40% 3-pointers and 90% free throws over three seasons.

hail2theskins21
06-29-2009, 03:16 AM
Rafer not a good shooter? Are you kidding?
He's pretty money from 3 if you ask me.

OaklandsFinest
06-29-2009, 03:22 AM
Rubio will get ate up in this league. First off people laugh at Brandon Jennings but his stats are somewhat comparable to Ricky Rubio, but he was getting not a lot of playing time. Rubio will get ate up by the Rose, Paul, Parker, Williams, Chauncey Billups type guards. In fact looking at the point guards in the draft, I thought he wasn't even in the top 5. He does see the floor well, atleast in the 5 clips they showed over and over again. But traditionally forgein players don't turn into the greats of the league here. I would say if Rubio did start in Minnesota he would be probably the 28th or 29th best pg in the league. He is not athletic enough to play PG in the NBA

ManRam
06-29-2009, 12:46 PM
Alston, an amazing passer? Play maker? Hah. His career 5 assists, 1.8 TO ratio will beg differ. He's a selfish player, who creates for himself more than anyone else. Rubio's passing abilities are infinitely better than Rafer's. It's not even close. Also, Rafer was never an NBA prodigy. He's a street ball legend, but that's streetball. We're talking NBA.

I agree that both are horrific shooters...but Rubio will improve. I think he can turn into a great shooter.

ManRam
06-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Rafer not a good shooter? Are you kidding?
He's pretty money from 3 if you ask me.

He's a career 35% three point shooter, which is average at best. The thing is, he's a career 39% shooter from the floor, which is absolutely horrendous. He was 23rd amongst qualified PGs in FG% last year and 24th amongst qualified PGs in 3 pt. %. He's not a good shooter, not in the least bit. In the playoffs, he shot below 32% from three and 38% from the field. That's baaaad.

thephoenixson28
06-29-2009, 01:31 PM
Rubio= OVERRATED
He reminds me of sebastian telfair all hype. Young,with handles, passing, and one of the best players to ever play in new york(high school basketball) and now they are both on the timberwolves. I think rubio is going to be a bust.

HT9Canada
06-29-2009, 01:56 PM
Alston, Rubio comparison really makes sense for me. Although I see Rubio much more creative. The only thing that I think should be mentioned is that Rubio is like Alston already. I think with Rubio being so young, he will get much better in all aspects and has a chance to make it big. Thats only if he can get a mentor. I cant think of a stud PG that Rafer had to mentor him. Rubio needs that, or who knows, could be the next Rafer Alston.

Bucks_Packers
06-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Untill Rubio plays in the NBA, Rafer Alston is a better player, because he has shown what he can do. All Rubio has shown is that he can make easy passes look difficult.

JabberJaw
06-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Where does everyone get all this knowledge on Rubio's game? Yeah, we all watched him in the FIBA World Championships, but that is a completely different game. There are a lot of guys that play like beasts in International play and are only considered decent in the NBA game...Nocioni, Oberto, Marc Gasol, Rudy Fernandez, Scola, to name a few. Other than that he is seen playing well against pretty weak competition. Rubio's skills are undeniable, but Alston was a beast in college as well. At one point he was known as the best PG in the nation (I have the sports illustrated with Rafer on the cover). I see a lot of the similarites between Rafer and Rubio (in the limited time I have seen him). They are both flashy PG's with below avg shots, and avg defense. The Rubio hype is crazy, because there are a ton of people who I guarantee have only seen highlights and maybe a few international games and are professing him to be "Nash but a better defender". Really? He is as good as a 2-time NBA MVP, but a better defender? He is going to take over the NBA then...lmao! If he is Nash, but plays defense he should have no reason not to be the NBA's best PG this upcoming season. Hype at it's finest!
Maybe the guy will be a very good or even great PG...nobody knows. He also could be a bust. People are talking about this guy as if he's already accomplished something. Every year it's somebody, so I guess this year it's Rubio. I have heard more about Rubio than I hear about the #1 pick Blake Griffin. If he really was better than Nash or whatever he would have been selected first. Rubio should be good, but let the dude prove himself first. Let's just hope he can be as good as Derek Rose or something before we start comparing him to Nash. lmfao!

Chronz
06-29-2009, 02:46 PM
rubio has a better Iq

Rubio has something rafer never had DEFENSE.

and for gods sake Rubio will never be a NASh or a Pistol Pete ( maybe in looks)

His kind of game is taht of JASON KIDD or maybe if he learns to shoot and score GARY PAYTON

LMFAO

Its obvious you know NOTHING about Rafer's game, way to stick up for your countrymen though

Chronz
06-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Alston, an amazing passer? Play maker? Hah. His career 5 assists, 1.8 TO ratio will beg differ. He's a selfish player, who creates for himself more than anyone else. Rubio's passing abilities are infinitely better than Rafer's. It's not even close. Also, Rafer was never an NBA prodigy. He's a street ball legend, but that's streetball. We're talking NBA.

I agree that both are horrific shooters...but Rubio will improve. I think he can turn into a great shooter.

Those are very strong playmaking #'s when you consider the usage, and pace of the teams hes been on. Hes a very efficient playmaker, his max potential though is around 7 per game by your scale, do you think Rubio could average 7 dimes with such a small turnover rate? I highly doubt it, everytime Ive seen him play he tries to make passes that arent there.

Still for Rubio to be compared to Rafer at this stage in his career is a great for him. He doesnt look to create for himself any more so than a guy like Andre Miller or Chauncey Billups.

DCSportsIsPain
06-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Rubio = The next Juan Carlos Navarro

LA_Raiders
06-29-2009, 03:50 PM
lol, Rubio is a GREAT passer, and he is only 19, by 23 he is going to be damn good...

Ala Nash...

EX-TREME
06-29-2009, 04:15 PM
i think alston were a horrible comparison. he is more like a jkidd or nash.

S-Dot
06-29-2009, 04:26 PM
right now he reminds me of jason williams in Sacramento...in a few years he will be really good though

Mile High Champ
06-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Rubio has that Steve Nash, Jason Kidd-esque court vision. Rafer Alston doesn't. Or if he does, he certainly doesn't take advantage of it. That's why Rubio will be better than Alston and if I had to bet, a lot better.

Agreed Rubio is very gifted, his court vision is through the roof, I think he will easily be the best PG out of the 09 draft.