PDA

View Full Version : RJ trade similiar to Gasol trade?

AlexTmz2
06-28-2009, 05:40 PM
What do you guys think about the Richard Jefferson trade? Is it similar to the Gasol trade? Can you see it as a steal?

ManRam
06-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Expiring contracts are basically more valuable than getting a good player for most teams. It wasn't a robbery or a steal. It helps both teams in the long term. One team is rebuilding, and now has a lot of money to spend now, or whenever. The other is tweaking a contending team, and can afford to give up role players. Talent-wise, it's obviously a steal. Business-wise, it's an even deal.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Well they got a border line All-star for 3 garbage players.

C-Duncan, Gooden
PF-Bonner, Blair
SF-Jefferson, Finley
SG-Mason, Ginobli
PG-Parker, Hill

^That lineup is stacked as hell.

AlexTmz2
06-28-2009, 05:48 PM
Well they got a border line All-star for 3 garbage players.

C-Duncan, Gooden
PF-Bonner, Blair
SF-Jefferson, Finley
SG-Mason, Ginobli
PG-Parker, Hill

^That lineup is stacked as hell.

:clap:

lakerfan 4 life
06-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Gasol is way better then Jefferson tho

koreancabbage
06-28-2009, 06:09 PM

thats a homer statement from a lakers fan (just the way you said it)

cegielskijastro
06-28-2009, 06:22 PM
San Antonio is gonna be the best in texas now...... i wouldnt be surprized if the won it all next season..... the Rockets need to respond

lakerfan 4 life
06-28-2009, 06:25 PM

There is no way you can compare Jefferson to Gasol. Jefferson has and always will be a sidekick. He wasnt even the man on a horrible bucks team. Gasol made the playoffs as the franchise player for the Grizzlies who had the same talent level if not lower then the bucks did this season.

N1ghtwolf717
06-28-2009, 06:26 PM
rj is just as good as gasol to the lakers , rj is going to be differene, espically if ginobili is healthy Go Spurs

JabberJaw
06-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Come on now...how is that a homer statement? Gasol is obviously one of the best big men in the league. Jefferson isn't known as one of the best SF's in the game. I think that the Spurs have upgraded, but nowhere is anyone talking about "multiple championships" and having a "stacked lineup" beyond Spurs fans. The fact that Bonnar is a starter is already deleting any chance of being a "stacked lineup". If they get Sheed and have TP, Mason (who has had ONE good year), RJ, Sheed and Duncan...now THAT is a stacked lineup.
I respect the Spurs as an organization as much as anyone. They win the right way and play with respect and dignity, but I still don't see them being better than the Lakers, Cavs, Magic or Celtics....not yet. While Jefferson is a solid player, he isn't the "beast" everyone is making him out to be. You gave up your best perimeter defender in Bowen (even though he is getting older by the second), and a solid backup C/PF. I think the Spurs definitely have taken a step in the right direction, but still have the Lakers, Rockets and Nuggets to compete with in the West. Not really the easy task Spurs fans are trying to make it out to be.

N1ghtwolf717
06-28-2009, 06:27 PM
dude rj was on bad team with the bucks now that rj is the spurs he be just a good as gasol is with the lakers, ur just a laker fan thats why ur saying that , and yes am a spurs fan, GO SPURS

marlinsfan24
06-28-2009, 06:30 PM
RJ maybe a little worse than Gasol, but not by much. When RJ was on a real team, he was a BEAST! He's gonna be great with the Spurs.

lakerfan 4 life
06-28-2009, 06:39 PM
dude rj was on bad team with the bucks now that rj is the spurs he be just a good as gasol is with the lakers, ur just a laker fan thats why ur saying that , and yes am a spurs fan, GO SPURS
He wasnt even the main player on a horrible bucks team. Pau has been the main player for a horrible memphis team

Brawler47
06-28-2009, 06:41 PM
The Spurs get an all-star in RJ. The Bucks get a dirty, old player in Bowen and two other pieces of junk in Thomas and Oberto (who they didn't even keep). How is this not a steal?

BigEric
06-28-2009, 06:44 PM
It's similar in the sense of talent switched from team to team. RJ, who I hate because he has the worst tattoo in the NBA and looks like a milk dud, is vastly underrated, does everything well and a little more. His impact will not be as heart felt as a steal from a big though. The griz did get Marc Gasol in this deal which evens it out. The Bucks get cap relief.

DitchDat
06-28-2009, 06:51 PM
if they can get an upgrade over Bonner, they're scary good.

Paulliwali
06-28-2009, 06:52 PM
San Antonio is gonna be the best in texas now...... i wouldnt be surprized if the won it all next season..... the Rockets need to respond

If the rockets can pull off a good/okay trade with t-mac, and they can play with good health they can compete with San Antonio for third place after LA and Denver...IMO

2nd post....

UNETOWNBAYAREA
06-28-2009, 06:53 PM
What do you guys think about the Richard Jefferson trade? Is it similar to the Gasol trade? Can you see it as a steal?

only way you could tell the difference is that this trade wont get them a championship as it did for the lakers when they got Gasol..

dee279
06-28-2009, 06:54 PM
RJ is a big upgrade. And i am not a spurs fan and i will say that the spurs will be stacked. Anytime a team can have a player like Ginobili coming off the bench, then obviously they are stacked. Any other team would have Ginobili starting.

EastCoastBaller
06-28-2009, 07:10 PM
How is this even a Debate??? Gasol>>>RJ... And before I start typing I'm a Cavs fan... P. Gasol is a proven winner he's one of the best big mans in the league right now. I like RJ a lot but he's not no P. Gasol type of player. Tim Duncan is showing some age he's gonna get hurt or "fatigue" this season because he getting old. Manu is on his last pair of legs before he's done in the NBA. I'm not going to say anything about T. Parker because I like him a lot. Richard Jefferson couldn't even be the man in with Bucks after Redd got hurt... That's pretty sad I'm sorry. Gasol>>>RJ

FOBolous
06-28-2009, 07:12 PM

the rockets will be alright is they manage to keep Artest. The combo of Battier and Artest will be enough to keep Ginobili and RJ in check

Giannis94
06-28-2009, 07:27 PM
Wow you cant even grade this trade yet. Wait 5 years and then well see. Expiring contracts are what the Bucks wanted. With a lineup like the bucks and a probable top 5 pick next year the bucks will be a great team in 5 years. Mark my words. I would be willing to gaurntee that the bucks will have more winning season in the next 10 years than the spurs.

Session/Ridinour
Redd/Jennings
Mubah a Moute/Bowen
Charlie V
Andrew Bogut

Iggy Stiggy
06-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Not even close Richard Jefferson is not even half the player Gasol is

greg_ory_2005
06-28-2009, 07:34 PM

Get ready to be disappointed. There's no way RJ will be as important on the Spurs as Pau is on the Lakers.

GHOSTSNIPER
06-28-2009, 07:41 PM

You're comparing a World Class talent to a dude that wouldn't be the best player on the Clippers...Think about it.Gasol stomped Howard in the Olympics and Finals...You're embarrassing yourself.

Drewlius
06-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Get ready to be disappointed. There's no way RJ will be as important on the Spurs as Pau is on the Lakers.

The last time the Spurs had a productive player at the 3 was Sean Elliot. Elliot was an absolutely perfect compliment to the Spurs system. Richard Jefferson is an Elliot clone with more athleticism. Now that Jefferson has something to play for, I'd be very scared if my home team was in the West.

AlexTmz2
06-28-2009, 07:49 PM
rj is just as good as gasol to the lakers , rj is going to be differene, espically if ginobili is healthy Go Spurs

Thats what i meant, is the rj trade going to be as effective as the gasol trade is to the lakers? Im not comparing gasols game to rj, id like to know if his presence to the team is as effective as gasols role to the lakers.

And is the trade considered a steal? Pretty much like gasol being traded to LA..

AlexTmz2
06-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Wow you cant even grade this trade yet. Wait 5 years and then well see. Expiring contracts are what the Bucks wanted. With a lineup like the bucks and a probable top 5 pick next year the bucks will be a great team in 5 years. Mark my words. I would be willing to gaurntee that the bucks will have more winning season in the next 10 years than the spurs.
Session/Ridinour
Redd/Jennings
Mubah a Moute/Bowen
Charlie V
Andrew Bogut

?!?!?!?

AlexTmz2
06-28-2009, 07:58 PM
The Spurs get an all-star in RJ. The Bucks get a dirty, old player in Bowen and two other pieces of junk in Thomas and Oberto (who they didn't even keep). How is this not a steal?

Iggy Stiggy
06-28-2009, 08:07 PM
The main point here is that Gasol is an elite player in the NBA. RJ is just good.

king4day
06-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Can't compare the two simply because Jefferson isn't in the same league as Gasol in terms of how he'll help his new team.
Plus the Spurs gave the Bucks 3 regulars where LA gave them Brown.

KnicksR4Real
06-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Not really to me. Gasol had more of an impact. That's because Big Man have more of an impact.

Dncehalldrug
06-28-2009, 08:46 PM
It's not a steal but they got the better deal. If the Three Amigos (not boston, ewwww) can stay healthy, then I can see them with RJ make a run against the Lakers.

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2009/news/090713/michael-jackson-6-240.jpg

R.I.P to the King of Pop

Joshtd1
06-28-2009, 08:49 PM
No, I still think the Gasol trade was a much bigger steal. Specially since he helped them win the ring..if RJ can do that, it will be much closer, but as of now..not really IMO.

astros1981
06-28-2009, 09:02 PM
No, I still think the Gasol trade was a much bigger steal. Specially since he helped them win the ring..if RJ can do that, it will be much closer, but as of now..not really IMO.

I agree. Getting RJ will help us, but the impact that Gasol has had with LA is on another level. PG is a part of LA's 3 headed monster. While RJ is more of our 3rd or 4th option behind our big three. I do believe SA did great pulling this deal off.

Joshtd1
06-28-2009, 09:04 PM
^^Check out the Spurs forum, if your a Spurs fan. Always good to have more fans input.

SouljahPhil...
06-28-2009, 09:11 PM
LA got the better player on their deal but SA gave away less talent on their own deal...

At least Memphis got Mark Gasol...who is playing good for them plus a pick for the trade of crittenton(I think they got their 1st back reallly not sure)

As for the Bucks its nice that they could get Johnson via Oberto but Amir will not be as good as Mark..

Both teams also received expiring contracts...For me the trade evens out because the lakers had to give more since pau is a better player than RJ...

BoltLakerPadre
06-28-2009, 09:14 PM

He's just making a statement. And it happens to be true. Gasol was third team All NBA this year.

Storch
06-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Its a bigger steal since none of those players would even start on that team. Marc Gasol is the starting center for the grizz and he's doing well.

Ripper Gein
06-28-2009, 10:35 PM
[QUOTE=AlexTmz2;9944114]What do you guys think about the Richard Jefferson trade? Is it similar to the Gasol trade? Can you see it as a steal?[/\
UOTE]

YES YES AND YES they basically gave up filler and for anyone who mentions bruce bowen didnt see ANY bball last season!

WoodbridgeSkins
06-28-2009, 10:51 PM
You can't even compare the trades. Gasol was the best thing that ever happened for Laker fans since the threepeat. Jefferson is not gonna improve them as much as Gasol improved LA.

Bones10564
06-29-2009, 01:25 AM
Not even close Jefferson is no way near the player Gasol is. As for the impact of the trades the Lakers got a ring, the spurs well will just have to see? (after the Lakers win another ring!!)

Nets fan 93
06-29-2009, 02:13 AM

RJ isnt even close to Gasol's level

LA_Raiders
06-29-2009, 02:24 AM

They have no bench... They are the 3rd or 4th best in the West...

LA
Den
Hou
SA

lakerfan 4 life
06-29-2009, 02:31 AM
He's just making a statement. And it happens to be true. Gasol was third team All NBA this year.

Kakaroach
06-29-2009, 02:34 AM
Pretty close but not quite a big as steal. Bowen is getting bought out so I think he would come back. RJ will still be a very big part of this Spurs team.

xxspursxx
06-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Come on now...how is that a homer statement? Gasol is obviously one of the best big men in the league. Jefferson isn't known as one of the best SF's in the game. I think that the Spurs have upgraded, but nowhere is anyone talking about "multiple championships" and having a "stacked lineup" beyond Spurs fans. The fact that Bonnar is a starter is already deleting any chance of being a "stacked lineup". If they get Sheed and have TP, Mason (who has had ONE good year), RJ, Sheed and Duncan...now THAT is a stacked lineup.
I respect the Spurs as an organization as much as anyone. They win the right way and play with respect and dignity, but I still don't see them being better than the Lakers, Cavs, Magic or Celtics....not yet. While Jefferson is a solid player, he isn't the "beast" everyone is making him out to be. You gave up your best perimeter defender in Bowen (even though he is getting older by the second), and a solid backup C/PF. I think the Spurs definitely have taken a step in the right direction, but still have the Lakers, Rockets and Nuggets to compete with in the West. Not really the easy task Spurs fans are trying to make it out to be.

I agree that right now they dont have a stacked lineup because there in need of a big man.
The spurs were one big trade away from being a championship contender again because if you look at the spurs last season they won their division which had Houston, Dallas, and New Orleans, with 54 wins, had the 3rd spot in the very though Western Conference, with out Manu. And every body seems to forget that Duncan was playing on one leg towards the end of that season and in the playoffs. They didnt have a real center to protect the rim. You sign a guy like RJ you instantly get 20 points a game from him, have a healthy Tim and Manu, Sign a guy a like Sheed, which i think their gonna do, you have a team that when they play together there better than the Cavs, Magic, and Celtics. No there not better than the Lakers but the spurs will win their division, second in the conference and probably play the Lakers in the Western Conference Championship.
Jefferson isn't a "beast" but 20 points a game, he'll make the Spurs team a "beast"

GrkGawdofWalkz
06-29-2009, 06:48 PM
As a Spurs fan, I can definitely tell you that Gasol is much better than Jefferson. Wings are easier to find than a Big with the passing and rebounding ability of Gasol. Not to mention someone who while maybe not a superstar is level headed. The Gasol trade was a much bigger steal in terms of talent.

MTar786
06-29-2009, 08:08 PM
RJ is a big upgrade. And i am not a spurs fan and i will say that the spurs will be stacked. Anytime a team can have a player like Ginobili coming off the bench, then obviously they are stacked. Any other team would have Ginobili starting.

They had ginobli coming of the bench BECAUSE their lack of fire power from the bench.. they needed to balance the team out.. im not a spurs fan.. im a laker but i give credit where credit is due. If the spurs had ginobli last season it would have been lakers and spurs in the confrence finals.
This season if they click and RJ mixes wit them well which i think will happen then i feel theyre now better than a cleveland team n maybe a boston magic and la.. but i still think they need a better starting center with some range and maybe another 3 point shooter to be elite elite.. Lakers need a good point guard imo like a jason kidd.. boston needs a bruce bowen.. magic need hedo back and the cavz need a rasheed. if any of what i just said happens.. then thats the team i think will win it all next season.

dodie53
06-29-2009, 09:41 PM
gasol >> RJ

Joshtd1
06-29-2009, 09:55 PM
They have no bench... They are the 3rd or 4th best in the West...

LA
Den
Hou
SA

If Manu is healthy, our bench is fine with Hill/Manu/Finley/Blair/Bonner (assuming we get starting big man with MLE)

agnine
06-30-2009, 01:30 PM

yay for true fans. HOWEVER, don't be such a homer that you really think RJ is as good as Gasol. his defense is way OVERRATED, he doesn't stop anybody. his offense is reliant on transition, which he should get into with the Spurs, but dont go thinking he's a deadshot spot-up shooter. he aint. he's good, but unlike Gasol playing Howard to a standstill, Jefferson isn't going to do that against Kobe, LeBron, Melo, Wade, VC, AI, Pierce, Allen............you get the point.

agnine
06-30-2009, 01:33 PM
i think the one unknown that could make them the 2nd best team in the west, is whether or not Oberto comes back. if they get him back, and Manu is at even 90%, the Spurs are back to scary status

JayW_1023
06-30-2009, 04:16 PM
RJ isn't a franchise player like Gasol, but that's allright. We already have two elite players in Duncan and Parker. Manu and RJ are both versatile perimeter players that'll make players pay for double teaming Timmy and Le Petit Point.

Kobe and Gasol are both two elite players...and they have Ariza, Odom and Bynum as their complimentary stars. For us to beat LA we need another legit big...unless Blair turns out to be the next Paul Millsap...I like how we match up.

Ace33Bone
06-30-2009, 04:23 PM
you have to realize that no Lakers fan is going to admit to the highway robbery that the Lakers got away with when getting Pau. He was an all-star caliber player before coming to LA just on a bad team and the basically give him away for nothing. Come on David Stern definitely had something to do with that he wanted the Lakers back on top in the West so he could get more $ in his pockets its all a part of the game no conspiracy here. No the RJ trade is not comparable the the Gasol give away. I just wish Lakers fans could admit it

Bucks_Packers
06-30-2009, 07:48 PM
The Bucks will save enough money from this trade to stay in Milwaukee. RJ for the Franchise? good enough

Ripper Gein
06-30-2009, 08:27 PM
you have to realize that no Lakers fan is going to admit to the highway robbery that the Lakers got away with when getting Pau. He was an all-star caliber player before coming to LA just on a bad team and the basically give him away for nothing. Come on David Stern definitely had something to do with that he wanted the Lakers back on top in the West so he could get more $ in his pockets its all a part of the game no conspiracy here. No the RJ trade is not comparable the the Gasol give away. I just wish Lakers fans could admit it

I wish Bitter fans would just stop spewing nonsense...........Marc Gasol,1st round pick>Filler!!!!