PDA

View Full Version : are we not still "in it"?

nads83
06-28-2009, 04:36 PM
so its the end of june and we are still in the wildcard race. what exactly is jp waiting for? he promised a move if we were still in it. is he waiting till we are no longer a factor and use it as an excuse to not get anyone? wtf? we need another bat

Rogi10
06-28-2009, 04:37 PM
do you really want to give up prospects for a rental player?

Mile High Champ
06-28-2009, 05:57 PM
do you really want to give up prospects for a rental player?

Yes, at this point, managment owes something to the fans, at least do something to do show the people who spend their hard earned cash that they do care about winning. Granted Brad Mills was finally sent down yesterday but I am beyond tired of watching garbage pitching talent making a debut this season, make a deal and provide Halladay with some help on the staff at the very least.

nads83
06-28-2009, 06:01 PM
um hell yes. thats what you do. when in a position to make a move, you make it.

nads83
06-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Yes, at this point, managment owes something to the fans, at least do something to do show the people who spend their hard earned cash that they do care about winning. Granted Brad Mills was finally sent down yesterday but I am beyond tired of watching garbage pitching talent making a debut this season, make a deal and provide Halladay with some help on the staff at the very least.

i actually think we're ok in the pitching department. we have to address the LF situation

Rogi10
06-28-2009, 06:39 PM
I see no purpose making a move for a rental player when your whole STARTING rotation is done for the year, why would you then trade away YOUR FUTURE players for a chance (slim) to win with no starting rotation? or perhaps they stay the course, only deal if it helps them for next year and keep your future for a much better chance next year and beyond.

Also, the LF situation. The jays would need to give up (good) prospects ( cecil, mills, castro) for any player halfway decent, and to serve what purpose? help you in a year deralied by year ending injuries? you have Snider in the works and now you give away good pitching prospects crippling your future for a rental player who, lets face it won't dramatically change the jays into a playoff contnder.

H-MYK
06-28-2009, 08:21 PM
If the Jays want to make the playoffs, they need to make a move now. A bat is what we need.

AmmoWasted
06-28-2009, 08:47 PM
If the Jays want to make the playoffs, they need to make a move now. A bat is what we need.

Agreed, trade Wells for 10 maple ones.

aman_13
06-28-2009, 08:49 PM

I agree, if we are going to make a move; this is the time. The Yankees, and Rays are heating up and we are right there with them. We need another bat or starting pitcher. I think a player like Holliday can do a lot for this team, and it will send a message to the rest of the AL.

bomber0104
06-28-2009, 09:08 PM
Believe it or not... this is the closest we have been at this time in the last few years. It just happens to be the year when we are missing the most pieces. I personally think that JP should wait till the deadline to see if we are close and if we are, i say go for it. Give us something to get excited about

Jays Claw
06-28-2009, 09:43 PM
It is amazing how Halladay is so humble and is still committed to the Jays.

If I were Halladay I would be super frustrated that I have no steady talent around me.

Zaunnie
06-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Trade for Adam ****ing Dunn or Javier Vazquez. That'll help.

1hardcore
06-28-2009, 10:29 PM
It is amazing how Halladay is so humble and is still committed to the Jays.

If I were Halladay I would be super frustrated that I have no steady talent around me.

i wonder what's making him stay in Toronto..........

Rogi10
06-28-2009, 10:58 PM
I agree, if we are going to make a move; this is the time. The Yankees, and Rays are heating up and we are right there with them. We need another bat or starting pitcher. I think a player like Holliday can do a lot for this team, and it will send a message to the rest of the AL.

what would a player like Holliday require? is he worth what you're losing? I doubt it.

JaysFan87
06-28-2009, 11:00 PM

they are young pitchers and its almost guaranteed that they will struggle in the first few years. I dont know what you expected out of them.

donatolla
06-28-2009, 11:18 PM
I think the real question is this: do you want to see them try to win this year at the expense of the possibility of several winning years in the near future?

No one will want the players that we would actually like to see traded (Wells, Rios), no one wants to trade the one players with HUGE value to other teams (Halladay), which leaves trading away the young talent needed to build a successful team in the next couple years to try to win this year.

The team is limping as is, and we are still in it - that in itself is impressive. This team could be really good if we are patient, and let it develop.

MaHaRaJaH
06-28-2009, 11:58 PM
But in the end, we're going to have a lot of LHP at our expense. In a 5 man rotation, we obviously can't keep them all.

Jamiecballer
06-29-2009, 01:58 AM
I don't know whether they need to make a move at this particular moment, but if they do screw the bat what we need is a proven reliable starter. The biggest difference between this years club and the club from last year is the bullpen. Last year the bullpen was amazing, and coincidentally (not) was not used nearly as often.

If they don't acquire another arm that you can count on getting 6-8 innings a start from the bullpen will continue to struggle as they are being used way too much and too often right now.

Rochesta
06-29-2009, 01:46 PM
We have a few more weeks to make this call. I personally don't think we're good enough to justify a big move, unless it brings in a player who would be here next year.

We're fading here, and the Yankees are out of the funk that let us stay so close. Tampa Bay is on the move as well. So, basically, I don't think you can make a move right now. In three weeks we should know. I think we'll be close enough to stand pat (not sell anyone), but not close enough to buy. Probably 7 games out or something, you know, not done but not worth any gambles.

Mile High Champ
06-29-2009, 02:04 PM
i actually think we're ok in the pitching department. we have to address the LF situation

Gotta disagree with you.. Halladay-Richmond-Tallent are fine but I am concerned about a combo of pitchers like Romero, Mills, Cecil etc.. We need a veteran arm to add to this team..

Mile High Champ
06-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Believe it or not... this is the closest we have been at this time in the last few years. It just happens to be the year when we are missing the most pieces. I personally think that JP should wait till the deadline to see if we are close and if we are, i say go for it. Give us something to get excited about

The rotation is wrapped in bandages and casts, they wont be able to make it to the allstar break. The Rays have been very hot of late, I dont like our chances over the next month without making a move..

bartron_44
06-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Jannsen should be out, if he is not already, Mills was finally sent down..so that only leaves Cecil in my books as a ?. Romero has been solid accept for like 1 start after his inury. Richmond's numbers a re solid too if they would score more for him. Halladay,Romero,Richmond and Tallet are all pitching fine, and are able to pitch 7+ innings.We need someon to step up in that 5th spot though. Cecil has looked good at times, but has a tendancy to give up the long ball, and still walks too many imo...Jannsen has stunk since being recalled, and Marcum is at least another month or so away from thinking about starting a game for us...We could try Ray again....but where is Purcey,can he still not throw strikes?

... and on a side note,why wasn't JPA called up when Barajas got hurt?

B2theRY
06-29-2009, 02:44 PM
isnt marcum due back sometime in july?

CaptainBolduke
06-29-2009, 03:05 PM
so its the end of june and we are still in the wildcard race. what exactly is jp waiting for? he promised a move if we were still in it. is he waiting till we are no longer a factor and use it as an excuse to not get anyone? wtf? we need another bat

Trades in professional sports happen a lot less then most fans think they should. If a move is going to happen it will happen at the deadline.

That's pretty standard.

King Rick
06-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Trade for Adam ****ing Dunn or Javier Vazquez. That'll help.

You obviously don't remember the comments that JP made about Dunn last season....Kind of pissed Dunn off. I doubt he'd want to come play in Toronto.

JaysFan87
06-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Gotta disagree with you.. Halladay-Richmond-Tallent are fine but I am concerned about a combo of pitchers like Romero, Mills, Cecil etc.. We need a veteran arm to add to this team..

no the jays need to see what they have in their system...so no the pitching department is not where there is the most concern.

Zaunnie
06-29-2009, 03:45 PM
You obviously don't remember the comments that JP made about Dunn last season....Kind of pissed Dunn off. I doubt he'd want to come play in Toronto.

Why do you think I used the expletive. Dunn would be a perfect fit for this team and JP ****ed it all up

Mile High Champ
06-29-2009, 04:48 PM
no the jays need to see what they have in their system...so no the pitching department is not where there is the most concern.

Of course it is, we have one starter who has actually pitched a full season in the bigs. We need a proven starter behind Halladay if you even want to consider passing the Red Sox's, Yankees or Rays. We all saw what happened when guys like Cecil and Mills faced our division rivals. The pitching staff is of course the concern for this team.

H-MYK
06-29-2009, 07:56 PM
isnt marcum due back sometime in july?

I think it's late August or early September.

JaysFan87
06-29-2009, 07:59 PM
Of course it is, we have one starter who has actually pitched a full season in the bigs. We need a proven starter behind Halladay if you even want to consider passing the Red Sox's, Yankees or Rays. We all saw what happened when guys like Cecil and Mills faced our division rivals. The pitching staff is of course the concern for this team.

and when do u intend to get the good young prospects a chance to pitch??

GreatGazoo
06-29-2009, 09:06 PM
I believe we're still in it. We're just 3 games out of the wildcard race and it's just coming up to the beginning of July.
Our pitching staff ....... all things considered with the injuries are doing a great job. Our offense has done pretty well overall. If we could acquire another solid bat in the line up that would definately help but at what cost? We'll just have to hang in there for a bit and see what unfolds.