PDA

View Full Version : duncan joining magic, jordan

ThEaIrUpThErE
06-27-2009, 01:10 AM
with the arival of richard jefferson in SA duncans chapionship window remains open, hes already got four championships, and is considered by many to be the best pf to play the game. if he wins 1-2 more is he in the same class as magic/jordan etc, w/his status?

Evolution=FACT
06-27-2009, 01:15 AM
:laugh:

NO

ThEaIrUpThErE
06-27-2009, 01:22 AM
lol your prob write, i just wanted to see what people thought...

Unec
06-27-2009, 01:25 AM
Can we curse on here???? Helllllllllllllllll noooooooooooo lmao!! He is good but cant put him in the same class with them!!

theuuord
06-27-2009, 01:26 AM
:laugh:

NO

Why not?
The guy is already considered the best PF of this generation, if not the best PF of all time. A couple more championships will only strengthen his legacy.

Robbie7138
06-27-2009, 01:31 AM
i honestly do think so

Bones10564
06-27-2009, 01:43 AM
I'm WAY to biased but NO WAY...

BoltLakerPadre
06-27-2009, 01:45 AM
Nope. There's just no comparing to either MJ or MJ. In my opinion the #1 and #2 best all time.

Chronz
06-27-2009, 02:23 AM
Why do we consider Duncan a PF again?

sixer04fan
06-27-2009, 02:35 AM
Why not?
The guy is already considered the best PF of this generation, if not the best PF of all time. A couple more championships will only strengthen his legacy.

agreed. Duncan is sooooo underrated it sickens me. He is possibly the best PF of all time and a couple more championships will only add to his legacy. He could be looked back upon as one of the greatest ever. Because he's not a guard, or outspoken like shaq, he's being taken granted for in our generation. It's a shame.

ink
06-27-2009, 02:42 AM
Why not?

Totally agree. And Duncan exudes class. He belongs with the greats of the game like Russell.

marlinsfan24
06-27-2009, 02:44 AM
Duncan is so underrated its disgusting man

abe_froman
06-27-2009, 02:51 AM
Duncan is so underrated its disgusting man

market,if he was in la/bos/ny,he'd be seen as top 3-bordering on overrated

harsh506
06-27-2009, 02:57 AM
what part of his game is overrated??? He puts up solid numbers, hes a leader, he stays quiet, yet keeps his team motavated, but most of all, hes a winner

abe_froman
06-27-2009, 03:02 AM
what part of his game is overrated??? He puts up solid numbers, hes a leader, he stays quiet, yet keeps his team motavated, but most of all, hes a winner

did i say his game was overrated? no

vash9
06-27-2009, 03:32 AM
I think Tim Duncan belongs up there. Sure he didn't score as much as MJ or amaze us as much as MJ, but his stats almost tell everything. Plus the guy has class. I've heard he's also too much of a gentle giant.

Best PF in the NBA to date.

JordansBulls
06-27-2009, 02:28 PM
You don't jump higher in the rankings with just rings. You must dominate as well and be the best on your team while winning.

ko8e24
06-27-2009, 02:42 PM
DUNCAN=GREATNESS, and if any of you deny that, u blind or just simply a hater.

theuuord
06-27-2009, 02:49 PM
You don't jump higher in the rankings with just rings. You must dominate as well and be the best on your team while winning.

you're absolutely right.

And Duncan has consistently been that.

Ansy
06-27-2009, 03:11 PM
He belongs in the conversation with Magic the same way Magic belongs in the conversation with Jordan. Not as good, but also clearly in a tier with the greatest of the great.

He's been one of the 3 best defenders in the NBA for basically his entire career -- an aspect of his game that gets highly underrated.

Drewlius
06-27-2009, 05:23 PM
When it is all said and done, and Duncan sails off into retirement, people will look back on his career and realize how truly unappreciated he was. People take for granted how incredible Tim has really been. He will be a true ambassador of the sport for years to come. It's a shame that he will need to be truly done with the game before people realize how much they should have soaked up and loved all he had to offer for the game.

joechoe
06-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Duncan can't join Magic or Jordan for the same reasons that Bill Russell, Wilt the Stilt, and Kareem can't join them. He's too big.

Big men are never cared for in popular culture because they're not flashy, never look like the focal point of a team(to stupid people), and do not capture people's imaginations.

When a big man does it, you just tend to think: "Well, they're tall..."

When a 6'8" guy plays point guard and throws flashy passes, people automatically say he's the greatest of all time.

When a 6'4-6'7" guard lights up the scene, he automatically becomes the GOAT who will never be challenged(to the point where he revolutionized the sneaker industry with really expensive brand name shoes).

People always love to say MJ and Magic... when in reality, they weren't even the most dominant of all time. If anything, Russell was and if people say "look at russell's stats compared to jordan's," I just shake my head because Russell locked down a guy who used to score 50 a game.

Don't believe me? Look at what's going on with Shaq. He's still a big deal, but people have literally stopped talking about him as the greatest center of all time like they used to do. People have literally forgotten just how dominant he used to be.

MJ and Magic's styles left lasting impressions on people... you never really forget MJ's last minute shots or Magic's showtime offense... but big guys? Strangely forgettable for most people who aren't big basketball fans.

(and yes, I know how culturally significant wilt and other big men were... Kareem was in airplane... but in comparison to Magic and Mike... they're nowhere near talked about)

FOBolous
06-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Duncan can't join Magic or Jordan for the same reasons that Bill Russell, Wilt the Stilt, and Kareem can't join them. He's too big.

Big men are never cared for in popular culture because they're not flashy, never look like the focal point of a team(to stupid people), and do not capture people's imaginations.

When a 6'8" guy plays point guard and throws flashy passes, people automatically say he's the greatest of all time.

When a 6'4-6'7" guard lights up the scene, he automatically becomes the GOAT who will never be challenged(to the point where he revolutionized the sneaker industry with really expensive brand name shoes).

People always love to say MJ and Magic... when in reality, they weren't even the most dominant of all time. If anything, Russell was and if people say "look at russell's stats compared to jordan's," I just shake my head because Russell locked down a guy who used to score 50 a game.

Don't believe me? Look at what's going on with Shaq. He's still a big deal, but people have literally stopped talking about him as the greatest center of all time like they used to do. People have literally forgotten just how dominant he used to be.

MJ and Magic's styles left lasting impressions on people... you never really forget MJ's last minute shots or Magic's showtime offense... but big guys? Strangely forgettable for most people who aren't big basketball fans.

(and yes, I know how culturally significant wilt and other big men were... Kareem was in airplane... but in comparison to Magic and Mike... they're nowhere near talked about)

that's because he's not the greatest center of all time...he's one of the greatest but not THE greatest. Hakeem is the greatest :)

but yeea...other than that, i agree with the rest of your post

Cromedome
06-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Legacy? The only legacy Duncan will leave behind will be the most boringest player of all time.

Joshtd1
06-27-2009, 05:48 PM

Good post

28+24+5=3champs
06-27-2009, 05:50 PM
obviously you cant compare him to guards but if you mean compare him in the sense that he is up there with them as one of the top 5-10 players of all time than most definately. he is one of the most underrated players of our generation because he doesnt go out there yelling and screaming and trying to show people up. he keeps his mouth shut and wins games the right way. it ashame that nowadays most athletes have to be cocky and arrogant to get people's attention. i'm a lakers fan and i havve no problem giving this respect to tim duncan

Joshtd1
06-27-2009, 05:50 PM
When it is all said and done, and Duncan sails off into retirement, people will look back on his career and realize how truly unappreciated he was. People take for granted how incredible Tim has really been. He will be a true ambassador of the sport for years to come. It's a shame that he will need to be truly done with the game before people realize how much they should have soaked up and loved all he had to offer for the game.

Agreed. A lot of it has to do that he is in a small market..and also the fact you never hear/see him in the media, or causing problems or anything. It will be a sad day for me the day he retires.

bogdanrom
06-27-2009, 06:00 PM
Legacy? The only legacy Duncan will leave behind will be the most boringest player of all time.

I hope you were kidding.If not you're are one of the most ******** persons alive on this planet. Sure he hasn't been flashy by any means, but he's a great player. And no one can say that they do not want him on their team. Even now, he's still a 20/10 guy that adds 3.5 APG and shoots 50%.
I think that IF he wins one or two more titles and IF during that time he is still paying at a top level (20ppg, 10rpg, 3apg, 2bpg, 50%) or around that then he can be included in the discussion but he cannot pass them.

Bronxbombers182
06-27-2009, 06:18 PM
I say Yes!!! As long as he stays healthy.

mattstafford#1
06-27-2009, 06:25 PM
tim duncan is a halloffamer somday, just not able to say hes into the majic/jordan grope yet, if he continues to put up solid numbers and avg. a tripple-double then id say yes. but for right now hes a hall of famer
best of luck to tim this coming season

Agent008
06-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Duncan will definitely go down as an all-time great, but I don't think that you can but him up there with Michael or Magic - who are widely considered the top two players ever. You can argue that Duncan isn't the best big man of our generation - Shaq has been a more dominant player and KG is just as talented as Duncan (people will argue that Duncan has more rings than KG, but if KG played in SA and Duncan played in Minny then this thread would probably be about KG).

shep33
06-27-2009, 06:38 PM
As a Knicks and Lakers fan I hate to say this but Timmy D is sooo underrated. 4 rings, and possibly the most unselfish big man in the history of the game. Great attitude and overall a great person. Now I ask this... what if Duncan played for the Knicks, Lakers, Bulls or Celtics? I think we'd be thinking differently, and in fact I think we'd put him in that class of the greatest ever. Can you imagine bringing the Knicks 4 championships within a decade. I'm not a huge Duncan fan, but reality is if he played for a big market team he'd be considered one of the greatest in my opinion.

Cromedome
06-27-2009, 06:48 PM
I hope you were kidding..

Kidding about what? Tim Duncan is exciting? He will go down as 1 of the most boringest players of all time. If you feel he's an exciting player..then YOU must be the most ******** person(s) alive in the universe.

SteveNash
06-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Duncan is already better than Magic. Don't think he has anything left to prove. Even if he wins say 5 more championships, Duncan as a player is pretty much done with so it will be the rest of the team carrying him.

SaimoNETS
06-27-2009, 06:54 PM

Success isn't measured by the flashy dunks you do or how exciting you are, it's measured by how you changed the game and how you led your team to victories.

So, yes Tim Duncan is in that class.

BTW, boringest isnt even a word. ;)

td0tsfinest
06-27-2009, 07:13 PM
he should be.. i absolutely "love" how people talk about Kobe close to being on Jordan/Magics level and Tim Duncan's name never comes up.

He is the greatest PF to play the game, I've never witness a player compete for a championship every single season he's been in. You can hate him and call his game boring, but his game wins championships.

Korman12
06-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Duncan is in a very elite class of players that can be looked at as the archetype of their position. He isn't as flashy as Jordan, Johnson, or Kareem, but he played the game in the exact mold any PF should. Incredible defense, unselfishnes, clutch scorer, and most of all, winner.

Along with Shaq, Kobe, and Jason Kidd (I'm not including the younger players here) he'll go down as one of this generation's greatest players.

DaVille
06-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Tim Duncan is the best player ever of his position. 4 years dominate in College and 12+ years dominate in the NBA. Kobe hasn't done it for that long.