PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting the Mia/LA Shaq Trade

phlp_bj
06-26-2009, 08:39 PM
So, after 5 years both LA and Miami have 2 titles (1 each), after that mega trade the 2 sides completed where Lamar Odom, Caron Butler, Brian Grant and a 1st Rounder (Farmar) went to LA for Shaq.

IMO, LA is a slight winner granted they ran into lady luck in acquiring the pieces around Kobe (Gasol, Fisher, Ariza etc) and will be in position to win a few more titles, where as Miami is in the works of putting a team around Wade sans the Shaq era to compete for a title. -- But, after all was said and done, they both have 1 title each to show for that trade. I do think they shouldn't have traded butler to the wizards though.

What are your thoughts as to who came out the winner, given both teams accomplished what they wanted, Miami more in maximizing Shaq and winning a title given his time in the city?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2004-07-14-shaq-trade_x.htm (shaq to heat trade)
http://www.nba.com/wizards/news/butler-atkins_050803.html (caron trade)

Lakers4ItAll
06-26-2009, 08:41 PM
Worked great for both teams. Just imagine if LA would have kept Shaq tho they could have easily won a few more

lakers4sho
06-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Worked great for both teams. Just imagine if LA would have kept Shaq tho they could have easily won a few more

No we wouldn't have. We wouldn't have a bench, most of the guys were retiring. Plus Kobe and Shaq were seeking a lot of money, which would've left the Lakers no room to sign decent role players.

phlp_bj
06-26-2009, 08:58 PM
also here's something for discussion. if i recall correctly, the lakers were holding out cause they wanted the heat to add dwyane wade into the deal.

imagine if wade was in it. kobe and wade, could that have won some titles?

lakers4sho
06-26-2009, 09:00 PM
also here's something for discussion. if i recall correctly, the lakers were holding out cause they wanted the heat to add dwyane wade into the deal.

imagine if wade was in it. kobe and wade, could that have won some titles?

IIRC they were also offering Shaq for Dirk Nowitzki.

phlp_bj
06-26-2009, 09:02 PM
IIRC they were also offering Shaq for Dirk Nowitzki.

Dallas Mavericks had begun talk with the Los Angeles Lakers about getting Shaquille O'Neal to Dallas, reports said on Wednesday.

Trade talks between Dallas and Los Angeles began Tuesday, as Mavericks owner Mark Cuban believes Shaq is his first choice for next season.

The Lakers, however, won't deal with the Mavs unless Dirk Nowitzki, the top player of Dallas, is part of the package, Lakers sources said.

O'Neal, who has two years left on his contract with the Lakers and could exercise option to leave after next season, demanded a trade Friday after the Lakers lost to the Detroit Pistons in the NBA Finals and head coach Phil Jackson decided not to return.

The Los Angeles Clippers are another possible trade partner, but whoever gets Shaq will have to take on his 27.7 million US dollars contract.

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200406/24/eng20040624_147369.html

geoffizfoshiz
06-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Let's face it - Miami wasn't looking for a decade of dominance from the big fella. They knew they weren't getting a young superstar who could lead them to a dynasty. They got exactly what they wanted with this trade: a championship. There are still quite a few teams out there chasing their first championship. Great deal for Miami.

LA on the other hand, got a player who can continue to contribute for years to come (pending deal). Caron and Brian didn't help out much, but Lamar is a big contributer. Lamar fits into the Lakers plan better than Shaq would have at this time. Demanding 20 mil a year, the supporting cast would be mediocre at best. Great deal for LA.

Burkey3472
06-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Both teams faired well in that trade. Both one titles, and the Lakers are in position to win a couple of more.

KBfrom8to24
06-26-2009, 09:24 PM
So, after 5 years both LA and Miami have 2 titles (1 each), after that mega trade the 2 sides completed where Lamar Odom, Caron Butler, Brian Grant and a 1st Rounder (Farmar) went to LA for Shaq.

IMO, LA is a slight winner granted they ran into lady luck in acquiring the pieces around Kobe (Gasol, Fisher, Ariza etc) and will be in position to win a few more titles, where as Miami is in the works of putting a team around Wade sans the Shaq era to compete for a title. -- But, after all was said and done, they both have 1 title each to show for that trade. I do think they shouldn't have traded butler to the wizards though.

What are your thoughts as to who came out the winner, given both teams accomplished what they wanted, Miami more in maximizing Shaq and winning a title given his time in the city?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2004-07-14-shaq-trade_x.htm (shaq to heat trade)
http://www.nba.com/wizards/news/butler-atkins_050803.html (caron trade)

fyi, the Butler trade 4 Kwame paved the way 4 the Lakers in Gasol's acquisition. So, imo, the clear winner is the Lakers. And the pieces in that trade still playing 4 d Lakers, and on the verge of winning more titles in the near future.

Bones10564
06-26-2009, 09:38 PM
The Lakers IMO got more out of this trade. Miami got a quick ring but the Lakers are set up for a few rings...

PhillyBoomerang
06-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Both teams Won championships after this trade.. you can't say it hurt any team.. Shaq helped D-wade and brought home the championship.. Odom helped LA (butler turned to Kwame, which turned to Pau) so it helped both teams..

BlinkManJan02
06-26-2009, 10:08 PM
the heat won their title a season after the trade. not sure if that means anything to anyone but it does to me. so i think the heat did. the lakers didnt benefit from the trade as directly as the heat did. the players LA got helped, but the team needed a few more years and other players (pau gasol) to win the championship.

DQL
06-26-2009, 10:29 PM
the Heat could of won the title the year Shaq arrived if it wasn't for Wade's injury during the ECF when the Heat led the Pistons 3-2. At least we won the year after so I'm fine. Great trade for both parties

BlinkManJan02
06-26-2009, 10:37 PM
oh i didnt know that, i dont really follow the heat much, i like wade though (marquette baby!) thats too bad he got hurt. jeez led 3-2, so close! thats too bad.

it was a great trade for both.