PDA

View Full Version : Bad NBA economics driving all of these big trades

ink
06-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Bucks, Suns, and Nets all made big trades to dump salary. How many more of these trades are we going to see, and just how BAD is the economic condition of some of the franchises in the league anyway?

Frank Costanza
06-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Bucks, Suns, and Nets all made big trades to dump salary. How many more of these trades are we going to see, and just how BAD is the economic condition of some of the franchises in the league anyway?

ink this is one yr like none other, anything is fair game, which makes tonights draft one of the more exciting to watch and these past days on psd some of the most entertaining filled with actual movement not just "they should do this" or the "Imagine this" scenerios

WoodbridgeSkins
06-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Damnit, we're trying to talk sports! Who cares about the bum owners that don't have love for the game. Trades make the world go round. Well, that, duct tape, and batteries.

Patrick Swayze
06-25-2009, 05:43 PM

Of course it does. I'm a Hornets fan and I think this whole offseason for them is going to have to do with that.

JordansBulls
06-25-2009, 05:44 PM
You will have a lot of bad teams next year but a lot of stacked ones as well. That will make for better playoffs. I'm not sure if I want to see a Cleveland vs Boston more or a Cleveland vs Orlando or a Boston vs Orlando in the east.

Let's hope some more contenders out west get better like Houston and Denver or Portland.

ink
06-25-2009, 05:52 PM
ink this is one yr like none other, anything is fair game, which makes tonights draft one of the more exciting to watch and these past days on psd some of the most entertaining filled with actual movement not just "they should do this" or the "Imagine this" scenerios

It's also why we're not seeing any panic moves out of GMs like Colangelo. The Raptors finances are in really good shape and they aren't motivated by the need to shed salary.

abe_froman
06-25-2009, 05:52 PM
i dunno,teams like bulls,knicks have ungodly money and yet they arent capitalizing

Frank Costanza
06-25-2009, 05:57 PM
It's also why we're not seeing any panic moves out of GMs like Colangelo. The Raptors finances are in really good shape and they aren't motivated by the need to shed salary.

very true many of the goons in our room want a deal for a deal just to be on the front of psd and sportscenter they forget the one move we already made was already soo good for us both financially and on the court

ink
06-25-2009, 05:57 PM
i dunno,teams like bulls,knicks have ungodly money and yet they arent capitalizing

Yeah but the point is that the Nets, Bucks and Suns all have smaller markets. The Nets had operating losses of about $30M. Robert Sarver has been bailing water in a very leaky franchise for a while. And the Bucks are a small market team struggling to keep up with the bigger markets.

The Bulls and Knicks would probably like to take advantage of teams in that situation but (whether their fans want to accept it or not) they don't have the tradable assets they need to pull off trades for overpaid contracts like Shaq, Jefferson and VC.

abe_froman
06-25-2009, 06:01 PM
Yeah but the point is that the Nets, Bucks and Suns all have smaller markets. The Nets had operating losses of about $30M. Robert Sarver has been bailing water in a very leaky franchise for a while. And the Bucks are a small market team struggling to keep up with the bigger markets.

The Bulls and Knicks would probably like to take advantage of teams in that situation but (whether their fans want to accept it or not) they don't have the tradable assets they need to pull off trades for overpaid contracts like Shaq, Jefferson and VC.

but if its economically based as you said than the only thing that matters is contracts and not the actual players...which favor both bulls and knicks,again

ink
06-25-2009, 06:03 PM
but if its economically based as you said than the only thing that matters is contracts and not the actual players...which both bulls and knicks have

Why is it only economically based? :confused: It's both. But all of the clubs that just pulled off salary dumps obviously prioritized shedding contracts. These clubs just decided that those players were expendable relative to their prohibitive cost.

WoodbridgeSkins
06-25-2009, 06:04 PM
It's all about the summer of 2010!

ink
06-25-2009, 06:07 PM
^ I think the economy is hurting some of these franchises badly NOW.

WoodbridgeSkins
06-25-2009, 06:09 PM
What happened to the owners who had love for the game and would pay the luxury tax

ink
06-25-2009, 06:11 PM
What happened to the owners who had love for the game and would pay the luxury tax

The economy collapsed on them and their fan base last fall. That's what happened.

They can't be stuck with inflated contracts if they're losing money and STILL losing games. So they have to dump the contracts.

blazerman
06-25-2009, 06:14 PM
I have no problem with kickin em while there down if it helps Portland land another good player. :smoking:

No really it sucks for the fans of those teams. I could careless if the owners are having finacially difficulties becuase there all still way richer than me.

I wouldnt pity a Mutli Millionaire or billionare ever.

If you're gonna feel bad for someone then you should look at all the everyday joes that have to make ends meat by working two jobs just to pay the bills or afford one or two tickets a yr to an NBA game.

You know how an owner feels toward you and me when he has finacially difficulties, HE RAISES THE PRICE OF TICKETS!!

IndiansFan337
06-25-2009, 06:15 PM

Well the question actually is are these teams trying to save money right now, or are they simply trying to position themselves to acquire a stud F/A or two next summer?

ink
06-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Well the question actually is are these teams trying to save money right now, or are they simply trying to position themselves to acquire a stud F/A or two next summer?

They may say that, but really how many studs are going to be available? There isn't an unlimited supply of franchise players right?

pd7631
06-25-2009, 06:18 PM
NBA-"where the rich get richer happens"

IndiansFan337
06-25-2009, 06:24 PM
They may say that, but really how many studs are going to be available? There isn't an unlimited supply of franchise players right?

LBJ, Kobe, D-Wade, Amare, Bosh, Dirk, Yao, Ray Allen, etc. will all be F/A's. There are more, those are just off the top of my head. Sure, you aren't going to build around a guy like Ray Allen for the future....but he is still an All-Star caliber player. There are a ton of talented guys that will be available. That's at least eight guys right there that are all better than VC, Shaq or Richard Jefferson (the salary dumps).

SteveNash
06-25-2009, 06:24 PM
San Antonio, Cleveland, and Orlando all made big trades to add salary.

All three are small market teams.

I think it goes to show you how bad the Bucks, Suns, and Nets have been run. Well maybe not the Bucks, but definitely then Suns and Nets.

ink
06-25-2009, 06:29 PM
LBJ, Kobe, D-Wade, Amare, Bosh, Dirk, Yao, Ray Allen, etc. will all be F/A's. There are more, those are just off the top of my head. Sure, you aren't going to build around a guy like Ray Allen for the future....but he is still an All-Star caliber player. There are a ton of talented guys that will be available. That's at least eight guys right there that are all better than VC, Shaq or Richard Jefferson (the salary dumps).

Of those only LBJ, Kobe and DWade, (maybe Yao), are 1st options. That's 3-4 teams. The Suns, Bucks, and Nets aren't likely to have the contending nucleus needed by 2010 so it's unlikely they'll attract those guys or even second options like Bosh, Amare, Dirk (first option now, but will decline), or Ray Allen.

People get too worked up about 2010 being the motivator for all trade dealings. Sometimes it's just what the franchise can afford.

Chronz
06-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Salary dumps have been around long before the economy went bad

ink
06-25-2009, 06:53 PM
This flurry of salary dumps is different. It's like the Michael Heisley (Grizzlies owner) syndrome is spreading across the league.

WoodbridgeSkins
06-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Phoenix is gonna be an NBADL team by the start of the season.

Chronz
06-25-2009, 07:03 PM
I really dont see whats so different, teams wouldve been making salary dumps regardless, some teams just cant afford to continue overpaying players. Im sure the economy magnifies that but I dont think it changes anything, players would still get dumped if the team doesnt think they are worth the investment.

ink
06-25-2009, 07:12 PM
Van Gundy just made the same point I'm making: right now you have 9 teams trying to win, and the rest of the league cutting costs. These are unique economic circumstances we're in. You don't usually see so much cost-cutting all at the same time.