PDA

View Full Version : Big Mistakes in NBA Draft History ....

JordansBulls
06-25-2009, 12:34 PM
Many times in sports we here of how guys were traded on draft night for guys that became stars or they passed up guys that became superstars and took guys that became busts.

The most well known case of this was in the 1984 draft with Sam Bowie #2 pick over MJ at #3.

However in that same draft the #4 pick was Sam Perkins while the #5 pick was Charles Barkley

Much isn't made about it because the other picks was the bigger issue.

My question is: What were some more of the biggest mistakes for trading draft picks on draft night in the NBA Draft over the years?

Here are a few that came to mind in the 2006 draft

http://cloud1.nbadraft.net/nba_draft_history/2006.html

Minnesota acquires the Draft rights to Randy Foye from Portland (via Boston) for the Draft rights to Brandon Roy.

The Foye trade from Minny to Portland on draft night why doesn't that get talked about more? This is a deal that will hunt Minny for quite some time now. Imagine Roy with Jefferson now.

Portland acquires the Draft rights to LaMarcus Aldridge and a future second-round pick from Chicago for Viktor Khryapa and the Draft rights to Tyrus Thomas.

This is one of those drafts where Portland did everything correctly.

In 2005 the Hawks selected Marvin Williams with the #2 pick over CP3 and Deron Williams

soxnfins
06-25-2009, 12:39 PM
And don't forget about my Bucks trading away Dirk for Tractor Traylor -.-

theuuord
06-25-2009, 12:40 PM
The entire 2000 draft was basically a mistake.

what54!?
06-25-2009, 12:41 PM
The hornets trading kobe for Vlade divac

The Timberwolves trading ray allen for stephon marbury

The pistons drafting darko and passing over anthony, wade, bosh, even kaman

The raptors passing up on granger in 2005 for graham

thats off the top of my head

pd7631
06-25-2009, 12:44 PM
1998- Sixers draft Larry Hughes #8 overall just ahead of Dirk Nowitzki(#9) and Paul Pierce(#10)*

*Larry Brown is a rookie killer though, so Pierce or Dirk likely would've gotten little playing time, and probably would've have been traded for a couple veterans who can only play defense and are useless on offense

Mile High Champ
06-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Another thread all about hindsight... so easy to criticize the the decisions of others years later and make it out that if you were the one making the call, you would of done it differently...

theuuord
06-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Another thread all about hindsight... so easy to criticize the the decisions of others years later and make it out that if you were the one making the call, you would of done it differently...

I mean, yeah, but it doesn't seem like anyone here is saying "I would have done this!!"

blujaysrock
06-25-2009, 12:49 PM
The one that comes to mind is the 2005 NBA draft the Raptors took Joey Graham #16 and Danny Granger went #17, just think if the raptors had Granger now. :pity:

DJ CHACH
06-25-2009, 12:50 PM
kwame?

BALLER71
06-25-2009, 12:51 PM
The hornets trading kobe for Vlade divac

The Timberwolves trading ray allen for stephon marbury

The pistons drafting darko and passing over anthony, wade, bosh, even kaman

The raptors passing up on granger in 2005 for graham

thats off the top of my head

That's not that baaad. Starbury was nasty with the Wolves.

IRUAM #21
06-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Anything the Clippers do is a mistake.

Agar81
06-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Darko getting drafted, doesnt even matter what round or pick

what54!?
06-25-2009, 12:52 PM
That's not that baaad. Starbury was nasty with the Wolves.
yeah but left them two years later because we wanted to be the man. RAy would have stayed

Mane
06-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Kwame Brown.

Bucks24226
06-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Bucks Drafted Julius Erving and let him go

S-Dot
06-25-2009, 12:55 PM
1998- Sixers draft Larry Hughes #8 overall just ahead of Dirk Nowitzki(#9) and Paul Pierce(#10)*

*Larry Brown is a rookie killer though, so Pierce or Dirk likely would've gotten little playing time, and probably would've have been traded for a couple veterans who can only play defense and are useless on offense

He gave DJ Augustine plenty of minutes, and he did well

All of the teams who had picks 3-8 in the 2002 Draft (Yao and Jay Williams were 1 & 2 good picks going into the draft) but you cant let Amare drop to #9

Flamarlins21
06-25-2009, 01:07 PM
The Bobcats took Morrison third when they could have drafted Brandon Roy (6) Rudy Gay (8) Rondo (21) or anyone. Morrsion was such a waste of a draft pick, it's sad.

Hanzinho
06-25-2009, 01:11 PM
DARKOOOOOO!!!!

With Melo, Pistons win 4 or 5 championships easy...

And now, Oden over Durant..

:S

ecorrea
06-25-2009, 01:13 PM
darko ... worst pick ever as wade bosh and melo were all on the board

arkanian215
06-25-2009, 01:17 PM
this is all with hindsight. which busts actually looked like busts on draft night? did kobe look like he was going to win a handful of championships in his career? id say darko was the most obvious mistake (he might still work out) but know that melo was out there and wasnt taken, well that just looked like a blunder on draft night.

JordansBulls
06-25-2009, 02:34 PM
The Bulls taking Jay Williams instead of Amare.

JWO35
06-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Pistons passing on Wade, Melo, and Bosh.....to take Darko :pity:

rabzouz 96
06-25-2009, 02:40 PM
darko over melo
morrison over gay
foye for roy
tyrus thomas for aldridge
bargnani over aldridge
gallinari over lopez

dtmagnet
06-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Bargnani over Aldridge is not that bad.

JordansBulls
06-26-2009, 02:46 PM
DARKOOOOOO!!!!

With Melo, Pistons win 4 or 5 championships easy...

And now, Oden over Durant..

:S

How so? They may never have gotten Rasheed and who knows if Billups turns into a star or not.

J_M_B
06-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Kwame Brown

atl_braves_fan
06-26-2009, 03:05 PM

I generally agree with your point here. I even think that the Sam Bowie pick was reasonable in light of the fact that Portland didn't need a 2 guard (they had a pretty good one in Clyde Drexler - a HOFer) and Sam Bowie was a pretty good big man at UK.

However, there are a couple that I think are totally indefensible. The first has been mentioned and that is Darko over Carmelo. What in the world was Dumars thinking on that one?

Also, what in the world were the Rockets doing in 1998 when they drafted (i) Michael Dickerson, (ii) Bryce Drew, and (iii) Mirsad Turkcan over Rashard Lewis? This was especially bad considering the fact that Lewis was a prep star in their back yard.

Hellcrooner
06-26-2009, 03:05 PM
bird slips to 6th pick

Malone slips to middel first

Stockton slips to low first.

Mark price slips to SECOND round

Rodamn slips to Second ROund.

uh......Lakers pick Wrothy instead of Wilkins? that would be a nice debate.

atl_braves_fan
06-26-2009, 03:06 PM

C'mon ... no one knew that he was going to hurt himself. He showed a lot of promise during the time he did play. That was a good pick at the time.

avsman05
06-26-2009, 03:12 PM
bird slips to 6th pick

who are Rodamn and Wrothy?

But anyways back on topic I would say the Nuggets selection of Nikolaz over Amare was pretty bad.

OA SLAY
06-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Darko wasnt a mistake he will be the best center since Shaq. Wait and see he in NY now

Hellcrooner
06-26-2009, 03:18 PM
ddint memphis get gooden over amare too?

by the way everybody focus on kwame but i think bulls did a nice blow job too not taking pau second...

masalex1205
06-26-2009, 03:22 PM
The Bobcats took Morrison third when they could have drafted Brandon Roy (6) Rudy Gay (8) Rondo (21) or anyone. Morrsion was such a waste of a draft pick, it's sad.

Yeah the Morrison pick set the franchise back four years, imagine if we had picked up Roy:

Felton/DJ
Roy/Bell
Wallace/Radmanovich
Diaw/May
Okafor/Diop/Muahmmed

that one still haunts me, also not trading up for Chris Paul and Sean May over Granger

masalex1205
06-26-2009, 03:23 PM
Darko wasnt a mistake he will be the best center since Shaq. Wait and see he in NY now

better than Howard?

Rightttt

bctgg27
06-26-2009, 03:30 PM

I would not consider this a mistake in any sense. Williams looked like a sure star. I am pretty confident that he would be a great PG if he had not gotten injured.

JordansBulls
06-26-2009, 03:32 PM
ddint memphis get gooden over amare too?

by the way everybody focus on kwame but i think bulls did a nice blow job too not taking pau second...

I speak spanish as well buddy, but learning english, I learned this is not something good to say.

barbjake
06-26-2009, 03:38 PM
bird slips to 6th pick

I'm pretty sure Bird was picked for the following year. Other teams didn't want to wait.

Rodman, Stockton, and Rodman weren't big recruits, they were great surprises.

Worthy or Wilkins is a good one, but you can't hate on the Worthy pick, he is HOF. Although it would have been really fun to see Magic and Dominique on the same team.

DerekRE_3
06-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Many times in sports we here of how guys were traded on draft night for guys that became stars or they passed up guys that became superstars and took guys that became busts.

The most well known case of this was in the 1984 draft with Sam Bowie #2 pick over MJ at #3.

However in that same draft the #4 pick was Sam Perkins while the #5 pick was Charles Barkley

Much isn't made about it because the other picks was the bigger issue.

My question is: What were some more of the biggest mistakes for trading draft picks on draft night in the NBA Draft over the years?

Here are a few that came to mind in the 2006 draft

http://cloud1.nbadraft.net/nba_draft_history/2006.html

The Foye trade from Minny to Portland on draft night why doesn't that get talked about more? This is a deal that will hunt Minny for quite some time now. Imagine Roy with Jefferson now.

This is one of those drafts where Portland did everything correctly.

In 2005 the Hawks selected Marvin Williams with the #2 pick over CP3 and Deron Williams

How can you mention the 2006 NBA Draft without talking about how the Bobcats picked Adam Morrison over Brandon Roy?

Hellcrooner
06-26-2009, 04:24 PM
jazz raul lopez over tony parker or arenas.

brandonwarne52
06-26-2009, 05:18 PM
Michael Olowokandi.

xabial
06-26-2009, 05:41 PM
For eddy curry The Knicks gave away the 2 pick, and 9th pick in the 2006 draft and 2007 draft for the 9th and 23th in the 2006 and 2007 draft respectively. Never swap picks knicks could have had roy or albridge :pity:

Denver-boy
06-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Jamaal Tinsley over Tony Parker and Gilbert Arenas

Kwame Brown over Pau Gasol and Joe Johnson]

Nikoloz Tskitishvili the Next Dirk, :laugh: over Amar'e Stoudemire.

Darko Miličić over Wade, MELO, and BOsh

Nuggets Trading Nelson to MAgic

Mane
06-26-2009, 06:34 PM
I speak spanish as well buddy, but learning english, I learned this is not something good to say.

:laugh:

Kwame Brown over anyone.

Devils05
06-26-2009, 07:10 PM
I remember thinking that the Cavs should have taken Josh Smith with their pick in 2004 instead of Luke Jackson. Figured with the success of LeBron from preps to pros they'd go for another one. Also was impressed with Al Jefferson's avg of 40+ ppg

JordansBulls
06-27-2009, 08:27 AM
I remember thinking that the Cavs should have taken Josh Smith with their pick in 2004 instead of Luke Jackson. Figured with the success of LeBron from preps to pros they'd go for another one. Also was impressed with Al Jefferson's avg of 40+ ppg

When did Al Jefferson average 40 ppg?

rabzouz 96
06-27-2009, 08:58 AM
prolly in his last year of hs

LakersIn5
06-27-2009, 09:05 AM
a GMs job is very hard and you guys criticize them so easily. yeah bowie got picked before jordan cuz he is better than jordan coming in the draft NOONE can tell the future so how the hell would the blazers gm know that jordan will be jordan. and if you guys are GMs i bet most of you will draft bowie too. same goes for the other draft mistakes you guys are saying, who knew that broy would be better foye? you guys wouldnt be complaining about this when foye is the one who is an allstar and roy the one who is an average starter. yeah kwame sucks now but he was the best draftee in the 2000 draft better than guys like gasol it just happens that gasol became better in the nba. marvin williams over cp3,deron sounds stupid now but before the 2005 draft marvin williams was projected to become a semi superstar and cp3 an allstar at best yes the hawks needed a PG but if you have a top pick you choose the best player available without caring about their position.

J-Relo
06-27-2009, 09:19 AM
^^^ yea no one knows how it's gonna be, of course guy with talent can't be a bust (a bust meaning that he gets drafted and then released after year or so), however it's really hard to say how it's gonna be...

for example Spurs> they got Ginobili, Parker late in the draft - they turned to be real stars in the league... but also they thought Scola isn't worth keeping, look at him now....

Mile High Champ
06-27-2009, 09:32 AM
I mean, yeah, but it doesn't seem like anyone here is saying "I would have done this!!"

sure it is, thats what everyone seems to be doing..

Reversed86Curse
06-27-2009, 09:41 AM

Yah, cause NY has is the place to go for players to get better......

Hellcrooner
06-27-2009, 10:33 AM
the funny thing.-.. about jordan draft....... is probably if teams KNEW what woudl happen with players is that making the right pick as in Rockets use the first to get the "goat" woudl have not been the best for them.

JOrdan + Sampson woudl have gone nowereh while The glyde and the dream woudl have been a dinasty for portland wonder what woudl have happened to a Barkley woolridge chicago.

Devils05
06-27-2009, 11:56 AM
When did Al Jefferson average 40 ppg?Yeah it was his senior year of highschool when he averaged 40+

And those who saw him play in high school recount how he was the biggest kid on the floor on some nights by eight inches.

Big Al averaged 42.6 points, 18 rebounds and seven blocks per game in his senior year at Prentiss, and when the word got out that Memphis Grizzlies President of Basketball Operations and NBA legend Jerry West was in the house to scout Jefferson at a regular season game, Jefferson said he wanted to put on a show. He didn't even recognize West when he looked for him in the bleachers during the game that night, but he knew who he was and what he could potentially mean to his future. So Big Al dropped a rather big triple-double: 62 points, 21 rebounds and 11 blocks.

Crazy Crab
06-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Todd Fuller!

theuuord
06-27-2009, 12:13 PM
sure it is, thats what everyone seems to be doing..

then you're misinterpreting what's being said.

Saying that Kwame Brown was a bust in 2001 doesn't mean we're saying we would be a better GM because we see that 7 years later. (And anyone here in 2001 knows that Kwame hype was EVERYWHERE, everyone including me thought he was going to be a star at the very least.)

JordansBulls
06-27-2009, 02:26 PM
the funny thing.-.. about jordan draft....... is probably if teams KNEW what woudl happen with players is that making the right pick as in Rockets use the first to get the "goat" woudl have not been the best for them.

JOrdan + Sampson woudl have gone nowereh while The glyde and the dream woudl have been a dinasty for portland wonder what woudl have happened to a Barkley woolridge chicago.

Hakeem was clearly going to be the top pick and that is no mistake as the man still won 2 titles, 2 finals mvp, league mvp, DPOY.

arkanian215
06-27-2009, 02:28 PM
that trade looked half decent for knicks fans when it happened. some of them were quite pleased and thought they'd be out of the lottery again. but that's not what happened.

LeBron4theWin
06-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Raphael Arujo over Andre Igoudala

Andrea bargnani over brandon roy

i don't know hope we made a good decision wit Demar

WoodbridgeSkins
06-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Michael Olakinwandae at number 1 or letting Michael Jordan pick for the wizards and he selects Kwame Brown at number 1.

This year, Minny taking 4 PGs.

Funny mistake this year was Brandon Jennings showing up late and walking out of the back like he just smoked a blunt. Did you see his stupid looking grin?

QuaLiThADoN
06-27-2009, 05:33 PM
drafting ricky rubio

La11
06-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Darko getting drafted, doesnt even matter what round or pick

you'll be eating those words next season...watch what d'antoni's offense will do to his game. He will have a break out year and 80 percent of gms would have drafted him and he is still young

Reversed86Curse
06-27-2009, 08:07 PM
you'll be eating those words next season...watch what d'antoni's offense will do to his game. He will have a break out year and 80 percent of gms would have drafted him and he is still young

He'll average 6 and 4 in 20 minutes a game; he won't amount to anything but a wasted pick during his career.

WoodbridgeSkins
06-27-2009, 08:10 PM

Drafted before wade and carmelo?

BigAl25
06-28-2009, 12:40 AM
I gotta say minnesota has done a lot of stupid trades but the won that bothered me the most was selecting ndudi ebi over josh howard.

JordansBulls
06-28-2009, 01:33 AM

Foye over Roy when Minny traded that selection.

KB24PG16
06-28-2009, 01:57 AM
there are mistakes every year theyre always going to be some every year in example maybe rubio wont be able to play well in the nba after playing in spain

ko8e24
06-28-2009, 02:02 AM
picks 2-12 over kobe bryant (13th overall) in '96 draft

ko8e24
06-28-2009, 02:07 AM
darko wasnt a mistake he will be the best center since shaq. Wait and see he in ny now

Darko>God

JordansBulls
06-28-2009, 10:20 AM
picks 2-12 over kobe bryant (13th overall) in '96 draft

At the time it was not. If anything the mistake was trading him.

Bob_at_york
06-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Why would you want Iggy when you have Rose, Vince, MoPete, Lamond and probably more on the wing? It is stupid that Hoffa gets compared to him. Compare him to Biedrins or let it go.

Now you must be kidding. People would have been shaking their heads at us if we drafted Roy #1. He wasn't suppose to go one. The highest he was suppose to go was #3 at most. You are looking at it now but at the time I bet you weren't saying that.

so you knew back in the Bargnani draft who was better but you have no idea if we made the right decision right now? The GMs can not see the future, you shouldn't judge them because you have seen the first three seasons of these guys careers.

ink
06-28-2009, 02:54 PM
so you knew back in the Bargnani draft who was better but you have no idea if we made the right decision right now? The GMs can not see the future, you shouldn't judge them because you have seen the first three seasons of these guys careers.

I agree. Hindsight is 20/20. Speculation about DeRozan is that he could be anything from this year's biggest bust to the biggest steal and possible ROY. No one knows. The thing he has going for him is that he doesn't seem to have a massive ego, he seems intelligent enough, he played for a great coach at USC (Tim Floyd), and he has the right attitude to start with.

rabzouz 96
06-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Why would you want Iggy when you have Rose, Vince, MoPete, Lamond and probably more on the wing? It is stupid that Hoffa gets compared to him. Compare him to Biedrins or let it go.

no it isnt. araujo at 8 was a big stretch at that time while iggy already had some kind of name.
if theres that much of a difference between 2 players you draft for talent not for need or you trade down and there were clearly better players available so this is a valid suggestion.

Bob_at_york
06-28-2009, 04:27 PM
no it isnt. araujo at 8 was a big stretch at that time while iggy already had some kind of name.
if theres that much of a difference between 2 players you draft for talent not for need or you trade down and there were clearly better players available so this is a valid suggestion.

I don't agree with the philosophy but we were drafting by need. It was what the star wanted and we tried to make him happy. So we reached for a big man but it was the wrong big man.

KingOf215
06-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Darko is the biggest mistake in NBA Draft history. It's not even close.

Hellcrooner
06-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Uwe Blab and Gerogi Glouchov , wonder how those too got drafted.

Beno7500
06-28-2009, 06:22 PM
jabari smith

arkanian215
06-28-2009, 06:47 PM
there's a whole batch of dumb in here. all of these hindsight threads are just pointless. im not sure these people know what that is. most of these are akin to how a guy should've bought a ton of microsoft shares when the company started out but didn't. he's a moron because he didn't invest in some tiny start up. god i hate people.

Korman12
06-28-2009, 06:49 PM
A lot of people rip on Darko mostly because he was picked ahead of Melo, Bosh, Wade, Kaman, Hinrich etc., and yeah he does suck, but at least he's still playing.

Michael Olowokandi and Nikoloz Tsiktishvilli I would consider much worse because they were such bad players that they didn't even have the talent to stick around the league for more than one or two seasons.

Also Orlando's 1st round pick in '05, Fran Vasquez. Won't even come to the states.

theuuord
06-28-2009, 06:53 PM
Michael Olowokandi and Nikoloz Tsiktishvilli I would consider much worse because they were such bad players that they didn't even have the talent to stick around the league for more than one or two seasons.

Kandi Man played almost a decade...

Korman12
06-28-2009, 06:55 PM
my mistake

arkanian215
06-28-2009, 07:01 PM
How many people were thinking Kwame Brown 2 when they saw Dwight Howard get drafted ahead of a proven college player? Dwight has always been the exception and not the rule. Same with lebron. There are a ton of kids who are highly recruited out of junior high school but a lot of them tail off or meet expectations. That's why guys like kobe and garnett were rare even when high schoolers were getting drafted. So saying we should've draft kobe is just nonsense. It's the same risk you take when drafting jonathan bender and kwame brown.

QuaLiThADoN
06-28-2009, 07:02 PM
there are mistakes every year theyre always going to be some every year in example maybe rubio wont be able to play well in the nba after playing in spain

Man he didn't even play good in spain !! i do not understand his hype honestly what did he average?? i believe it's something close to 7 points 4 assists? I think him being drafted in the first round is going to be one of the biggest mistakes