PDA

View Full Version : Will Memphis take Thabeet or Rubio?

mrblisterdundee
06-24-2009, 01:39 PM
Personally, I think it's a closer call than many others. Marc Gasol is mostly suited to be a center. If Memphis drafts Thabeet, then they'll either have to trade Gasol or improve his shooting for him to be an effective power forward. With some improved shooting, I guess Gasol could be a very hard-nosed and high-rebounding power forward next to Thabeet.
On the other hand, point guard might be the area where Memphis needs the most improvement. Ricky Rubio is probably way better than Mike Conley. That's not to say that Conley isn't good. They could probably get some value back in a trade involving Conley.
I think there is one question that can answer the question of who Memphis wil pick: Does Marc Gasol or Mike Conley have a higher trade value?

Fireworld
06-24-2009, 01:46 PM
I think they pick Rubio and trade him to the Wolves.

J-Relo
06-24-2009, 01:46 PM
they always can trade their pick for PF, or trade Gasol &/or COnley for 3rd pick... :)

Catfish1314
06-24-2009, 01:48 PM
I don't even think they'll keep the pick. If they do, I would say Thabeet or Harden.

Minnesota can make a sweet offer for that pick and Sacramento may be considering a trade-up again too.

Hellcrooner
06-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Marc gasol CANT BY NO MEANS play Pf.

he is SLOW.

Bing Slow is not so bad against center because...well we dont have any quick centers right now except for Howard i guess.

But man Marc Gasol cant run at the same pace then his brohter, or David West, or Rashad lewis etc etc.

Is compeltely stupid to take a center in the draft.
And ahving conley is compeltely stupid to draft a guard.

the best thing they coudl do is try to trade their pick for a GOOD Power Foward and a lower pick.

How does this look like for example?

Conley,Mayo, Gay, Love, Marc Gasol

or this

Conley, Mahyo, Gay, Lee, Marc Gasol.

or even this

Conley, Mayo,Gay, thomspon, Marc gasol.

i think thats much ebtter than have Arthur as pf and have to bench conley or bench rubio or bench thabeet or bench Marc Gasol....

Ace33Bone
06-24-2009, 03:43 PM
I would definitely take rubio with this pick the only thing is will he play in Memphis? I am sick and tired of these kids who will make more money than the majority of the world will see in a lifetime crying about where they will and will not play... suck it up. It all started with Kobe and then Steve Francis crying at the podium. I aslo feel as tho Thabeet will be the next bust people will look back at him 5 years from now and wonder how he was even mentioned as a top 5 pick

Hellcrooner
06-24-2009, 04:09 PM
^there is a differene here man.

Nba teams can only pay 500.000 dollars for buyouts Rubios buy out is 9 million dollars.

He is GOING TO PAY from his OWN salary the Buy out.

so, would you play for basically FREE somewhere you dont Like?

mzgrizz
06-24-2009, 04:59 PM
^^^^Come on, Hellcrooner......it's still the NBA . I think you are wrong about Rubio being benched. I would not be surprised to see Conley in a trade and Memphis taking Rubio for keeps. Getting a player of Rubio's quality comes around every 8 years....why wouldn't they ? And don't tell me Hollins is the reason......it is not. Plus Heisley will not be bullied by anyone re: this pick.

Hellcrooner
06-24-2009, 05:13 PM
^im more than happhy for him to get to memphis if conley is moved.

I have doubts ot woudl work

I can really can see Mayo and specially GAY having a problem with rubio Distributing too much the ball to the player with best shooting POSITIon and feeding Friend Marc too much the rock.

what54!?
06-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Think they'll trade the pick. If not they should go atfer thabeet. They need a C and rubio doesn't want to play there

PhyscoT007
06-24-2009, 05:18 PM
They will probably do what they did last year.. Draft Rubio then trade him to Wolves, like they did with Love and Mayo.

mzgrizz
06-24-2009, 05:18 PM
No, I wouldn't worry about that......OJ and Rudy HAD to monopolize a lot of shots last year with the team we had.
Gettting Rubio as a great PG who will feed the ball to the best option??? Aw,,sweet.
I think the biggest problem Rubio has right now is the $$$ aspect as he didn't come form the same background as the Gasols. Guess being influenced by your family happens in any country.

mzgrizz
06-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Whatever happens tomorrow night........I do wish Rubio well. I've come full circle from my first irritation with his visit to this country; but then I did remember they (Grizz and Gasol) met with him in Spain for a day. And I don't think he has to SHOW anyone how he can play in a workout. If we get him, he will be well received. I know I'll be there next season anyway.

azkarraga
06-24-2009, 05:34 PM
id take rubio, but its gonna be thabeet

NANDOKNICK
06-24-2009, 05:39 PM
is the Knicks hahahahahahaha

Cromedome
06-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Whoever Memphis picks...it will be a shame because NOBODY CARES about Memphis.

Another wasted pick.

kvrnm
06-24-2009, 06:43 PM
they should pick thabeet... rubio will bust

mikantsass
06-24-2009, 06:52 PM
Draft Thabeet and build around defense. With Mayo and Gay, you dont need your center to produce offensively. Rebounds and blocks are contributions that the Griz need desperately.

kvrnm
06-24-2009, 06:54 PM
Draft Thabeet and build around defense. With Mayo and Gay, you dont need your center to produce offensively. Rebounds and blocks are contributions that the Griz need desperately.

agreed... he should be a defensive force even as a rookie