PDA

View Full Version : Darko Milicic to the Knicks?

phlp_bj
06-24-2009, 12:00 PM
The Grizzlies aren't just entertaining the idea of parting with the No. 2 overall pick in Thursday's draft. They've also engaged in advanced discussions with the Knicks that should put former No. 2 overall pick Darko Milicic in New York by week's end ... unless Memphis winds up needing Milicic's expiring contract in another draft-related trade.

Sources say that the proposed swap would send Milicic to the Knicks for swingman Quentin Richardson and cash. Milicic is scheduled to earn $7.5 million next season in the final year of a three-year deal he received from the Griz in 2007; Richardson has a player option for next season at $8.7 million.

If the teams go through with the trade, Milicic would join his fourth team since Detroit infamously gambled on him in 2003 with the pick immediately after LeBron James ... and right before Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade. But it's believed that Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni hasn't been able to kick his long-standing interest in seeing what he can get out of the perpetually, uh, casual 24-year-old. Despite his unquestioned standing as one of the biggest draft busts in league history, Milicic would have to be considered an intriguing one-year rental for the go-go-go Knicks given his length, mobility, passing skills and age.

Wouldn't he?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=TradeChatter-090624

do the knicks really think they can make darko better?

Ace33Bone
06-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Sounds like a bonehead move that the Knicks are known for making. I think people should just give up on Darko. His name will forever b synonymous with the word overrated

phlp_bj
06-24-2009, 12:11 PM
d'antoni probably thinks he can thrive in the run and gun system

arkanian215
06-24-2009, 12:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=TradeChatter-090624

do the knicks really think they can make darko better?

they'll take darko to make room in 2010. it makes sense for the knicks. im not sure why memphis would risk picking up a player who would pick up his option.

Ragun
i think its for salary purposes. he expires after this year while quentin has a player option which he most likely will pick up.

arkanian215
i think its for salary purposes. he expires after this year while quentin has a player option which he most likely will pick up.

yeah i think you got it.:clap: if i were memphis, i wouldn't do it.

phlp_bj
06-24-2009, 12:13 PM
if this is made, it pretty much assures memphis takes hasheem thabeet

Trouble87
06-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Love Donnie Walsh makin 2010 cap moves... hope he gets this done

KnickaBockas
06-24-2009, 12:45 PM
Sounds like a bonehead move that the Knicks are known for making. I think people should just give up on Darko. His name will forever b synonymous with the word overrated

How is this dumb? were jus getting him for this year only.... and as of right now darko would be the best shot blocker on the team..... which we were dead last in this year

jetsfan89
06-24-2009, 12:53 PM
This would be a great move for the knicks. Darko may not be the player everyone thought he was, but the knicks need a shot blocking center badly from the games I was watching. Milicic can just play defense, grab rebounds, and just put back shots.

Giaps
06-24-2009, 12:53 PM
Yes what a bonehead move this would be. Trading an aging player who can't shoot with a 1 year contract for a young player who can block shots with a 1 year contract. How terrible.

Brooklyn Mets
06-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Love Donnie Walsh makin 2010 cap moves... hope he gets this done

x2

Ragun
06-24-2009, 01:03 PM
if this is made, it pretty much assures memphis takes hasheem thabeet

doubt it. thabeet doesnt want to play in memphis, thats why he didnt work out for them. shoulder sprain my ***.

bkmikeyy
06-24-2009, 01:10 PM
this would definitely be a great move, everyone is jumping on the Knicks because they believe Darko was a bust. He obviously was because of where he got picked, if he was picked 15th that year he would be considered a decent serviceable big man, which is exactly what the knicks need

KnickaBockas
06-24-2009, 01:14 PM
^^^ exactly

BULLSFAN0810
06-24-2009, 01:15 PM
i think Darko hasnt matured as of yet , he has a decent mid range ..... i just thinks he needs a fair shake and some man juice in his system .... ppl thought hed be the next dirk .... id pick him up and drill his *** into shape

GrkGawdofWalkz
06-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Makes complete sense for the Knicks to clear room for the 2010 Free agency period and take a foreign player who could maybe work in D'Antoni's system and the opportunity to draft Rubio. Who knows, anything is possible.

KnickaBockas
06-24-2009, 01:23 PM
this trade would also free up some more playing time for our young players..... Gallo and Chandler

Hanzinho
06-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Ricky Rubio and Milicic for Richardson????

Is a awfull trade for memphis!!!!

:mad:

Ragun
06-24-2009, 01:32 PM
Report: Darko Could Be With Knicks By End Of Week

The Grizzlies have engaged in advanced discussions with the Knicks that will Darko Milicic in New York by week's end, unless Memphis winds up needing Milicic's expiring contract in another draft-related trade.

Sources say that the proposed swap would send Milicic to the Knicks for Quentin Richardson and cash. Milicic is scheduled to earn $7.5 million next season in the final year of a three-year deal he received from the Griz in 2007; Richardson has a player option for next season at $8.7 million.

Link: http://******.com/src_wiretap_archives/60029/20090624/report_darko_could_be_with_knicks_by_end_of_week/

Why in the world would Memphis do this?

KnickaBockas
06-24-2009, 01:45 PM

Ricky rubio???? da hell are you talkin bout?

IBleedPurple
06-24-2009, 02:55 PM
Cap move, but it would pain me to pay Darko 7.5 mil.

THE MTL
06-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Report: Darko Could Be With Knicks By End Of Week

Link: http://******.com/src_wiretap_archives/60029/20090624/report_darko_could_be_with_knicks_by_end_of_week/

Why in the world would Memphis do this?

Darko is addition by subtraction. Memphis has Darrell Arthur and Hakim Warrick and Marc Gasol and 2009 draft pick as their bigs. They dont need Darko and trading him frees up minutes. Also, memphis can use Q-Rich's services at the 2 or 3 for a year.

Its an expiring for an expiring.

ggb108
06-24-2009, 03:11 PM
good move.

mavwar53
06-24-2009, 03:13 PM
D'Antoni might be able to work with darko and especially in this system, just like biedrins for the warriors, darko could thrive maybe not number 2 pick status but I think he could be pretty good, I'd take him on the warriors if the warriors could trade biedrins, wright, bellineli and the number 7 pick for a superstar (bosh or amare)

Ragun
06-24-2009, 03:13 PM
Darko is addition by subtraction. Memphis has Darrell Arthur and Hakim Warrick and Marc Gasol and 2009 draft pick as their bigs. They dont need Darko and trading him frees up minutes. Also, memphis can use Q-Rich's services at the 2 or 3 for a year.

Its an expiring for an expiring.

no, he has a play option for the 2010-2011 season. he will obviously pick up that option. he wont pass on 10 mill.

KnickaBockas
06-24-2009, 03:19 PM
^^^ nah both are expiring contracts

danimal
06-24-2009, 03:19 PM
This is a meh move. Two players change hands that have one year left on their contracts. The knicks get closer to the luxury line, and Heisly pockets some cash. Trash trade.

THE MTL
06-24-2009, 03:28 PM
no, he has a play option for the 2010-2011 season. he will obviously pick up that option. he wont pass on 10 mill.

NO!!!!! He has a player option for this coming season that was already picked up. He expires!! I know everything about Knicks players you cant tell me nothing.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm

Lo Porto
06-24-2009, 03:28 PM

The Knicks need post players but have plenty of SF's. Trading Quentin Richardson and cash for Darko would be a good trade for the Knicks. What do they have to lose? Both players have expiring contracts and Darko is only 24.

Ace33Bone
06-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Yes what a bonehead move this would be. Trading an aging player who can't shoot with a 1 year contract for a young player who can block shots with a 1 year contract. How terrible.

First of all Q is still a player who can play in the D'Antoni system. Darko cannot fit into any system he has been put in. I just do not see why you would trade a player that can potentially help out your team for someone who is currently a mop and will spend the rest of his career being a mop. That just adding another player on the roster that LeBron can put on the poster when he plays them in MSG

king4day
06-24-2009, 03:38 PM
They probably do this trade if they feel Lee isn't coming back.
He's a stop gap until they maybe get Amare or Bosh possibly.

Lo Porto
06-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Richardson is stuck behind Chandler, Gallinari and Harrington. Darko would be the first guy off the bench at PF and C. Q is also garbage at this point whereas Darko could still be useful. It's a good trade for NY.

mzgrizz
06-24-2009, 04:52 PM

I don't think #2 is included in the deal.