PDA

View Full Version : Was Rondo Offered to Memphis for Gay?

phlp_bj
06-24-2009, 09:12 AM
While there has been talk around the NBA from several scouts that the Celtics have been shopping guard Rajon Rondo, he isn't expected to be dealt. While unlikely, one Eastern Conference executive said the latest trade rumor included Rondo and forward Brian Scalabrine going to Memphis for guard Mike Conley and swingman Rudy Gay.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2009/06/spears_latest_d.html

Ragun
06-24-2009, 09:14 AM
i would not do it if i were boston.

SeoulBeatz
06-24-2009, 09:27 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2009/06/spears_latest_d.html

i think thats a very good trade.

Rondo is skilled and had an AMAZING playoffs, but he still doesn't seem like he's as good as his numbers say. He is an impact player no doubt, but not a player i would love to build a franchise around, nothing against him but i just dont trust him.

I think Conley (albeit unproductive thus far) could still prove to be something in this league and what better place to start than star studded boston? I think he wouldn't be THAT much worse than Rondo.

Gay is a potential Allstar IMO (if it weren't for his name, and yes i think that has a lot to do with people taking him seriously for some reason lol, marketing and whatnot) and he would succeed Pierce when his run is over and be a great spark off the bench for boston.

JayW_1023
06-24-2009, 09:31 AM
I really think shopping Rondo is just about the most ignorant thing Ainge can possibly do at this given time. The Celtics are an aging team and here you consider trading a player that can culminate a winning Boston team for years to come.

Absolutely preposterous that Ainge is doing this. Simply laughable.

SwaggaIke
06-24-2009, 09:32 AM

Rondo is skilled and had an AMAZING playoffs, but he still doesn't seem like he's as good as his numbers say. He is an impact player no doubt, but not a player i would love to build a franchise around, nothing against him but i just dont trust him.

I think Conley (albeit unproductive thus far) could still prove to be something in this league and what better place to start than star studded boston? I think he wouldn't be THAT much worse than Rondo.

Gay is a potential Allstar IMO (if it weren't for his name, and yes i think that has a lot to do with people taking him seriously for some reason lol, marketing and whatnot) and he would succeed Pierce when his run is over and be a great spark off the bench for boston.

Is Ray Allen really that much better? I would have to think that IF this trade were to happen, Gay would find his way into the starting lineup.

JayW_1023
06-24-2009, 09:37 AM
If I were Ainge I would keep the team intact and not trade anyone. Here they have a championship core of KG, Paul Pierce and Allen...with an ever improving young nuclues of Rondo, Glen Davis, Kendrick Perkins and Leon Powe...who for a large part absolutely flourished last postseason.

Guys like Davis and Perk can now be trusted to play more minutes and keep KG fresh and healthy. All Boston needs is some depth at the wings, but not at the cost of Allen or Pierce. Rondo should absolutely remain untouchable as long as the Big Three are able to still perform at an All-NBA level.

It frustrates me how Ainge is on the verge of ruining a team that could still easily contend the next two years.

The Intimidator
06-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Rondo won't be going anywhere, but the reason why his name has been floated is because his value has never been higher. Ainge is right to shop him, because of the possibility that a team will overpay for him. No one will, and Rondo will remain a Celtic. One thing is certain though: the Celtics will make some sort of trade today or on draft day.

kbrill21
06-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Doesn't fill the PG hole left if Rondo is traded. Basically Gay would be on the bench playing behind Pierce. Doesn't really improve the Celtics, unless Allen can be moved for a "ready now" PG. Not sold he or Pierce can play SG.

kbrill21
06-24-2009, 09:46 AM

Gay is not a SG, so no, he would not play over Allen. You really think Conley could average a triple double in the playoffs like Rondo did? I don't think so. Part of what makes Rondo great on our team is his speed, he is one of the fastest players in the league. Not sure Conley is on the same level as him. I like Conley, but not that much.

Durant is hype
06-24-2009, 09:51 AM

Gay is work ethic-less.

Ainge seems really bored....... if he's planning on trading rondo(which he's really not),while Grizzles might have gotten the better end of the trade(if it happened).They trade Gay who had problems sharing the ball with Mayo for Rajon Rondo who can get Mayo open looks,but also making Mayo the legitimate 1st option.Then the draft rolls around and they can possibly draft Hasheem,thus having a core of Rondo,Mayo,Gasol,Hasheem.

Do you think the core of Ray,Rudy Gay,Paul Pierce,Conley,Perkins,KG,Big baby and House is a much better nucleus than Boston with Rondo?

Durant is hype
06-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Rondo won't be going anywhere, but the reason why his name has been floated is because his value has never been higher. Ainge is right to shop him, because of the possibility that a team will overpay for him. No one will, and Rondo will remain a Celtic. One thing is certain though: the Celtics will make some sort of trade today or on draft day.

Well said.

tonyd3b54
06-24-2009, 09:56 AM
if the #2 pick can sumhow be put in there without us losing allen id pull the trigger on this deal...

rubio
allen
pierce
kg
perk

bench
gay
davis
house
marbury

that team could compete this year and a future with rubio gay and perkins is pretty promising as well

BTownTeamsRKing
06-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Well said.

on top of that, Rondo is still under control for another 1 or 2 years until the max deal comes up.

Wilson
06-24-2009, 10:08 AM
I think the Celtics need to go one more year with Garnett, Pierce, Allen and Rondo. I've always thought that Rondo was a great role player, might as well give it one more year to see if he can grow into a star.

BTownTeamsRKing
06-24-2009, 10:15 AM
this deal sucks. id say this is fake

LetsGo HomeTeam
06-24-2009, 10:30 AM
i would say do the deal i kno conley hasnt accomplished much yet, but idk where Rondo would be if he was in Conley's situation. i think that the celtics are throwing Rondo out there is these rumors cuz he isnt going to get any better then he was this post season. meaning sell high cuz i think any team would want the playyoff rondo on their team. it sounds like he doesnt have the work ethic to get better as a shooter and leader tho.

if the deal is rondo for gay and scal for conley... then i am on bored for this one... it would be tuff watching Rondo leave though since he really is well liked by the fans

op12
06-24-2009, 10:36 AM
i keep saying it, i think they are planning on starting starbury. i think they have some sort of agreement with him and that is why they are willing to let rondo go. conley coming off the bench and gay being our 6th man would be solid. if starbury could play at a high level that would give us enough pieces to make another run and give us 2 players for the future.

Ron_Mexico
06-24-2009, 10:46 AM
I honestly think this would be a good trade for the Celtics. I don't know why people are so down on Conley. I haven't seen him play that much, but here are Rondo's averages post All-Star game versus Conley's: (from Yahoo.com)

Rondo- 32:47 mins, 50.8 FG%, 67.4 FT%, 4.8 REB, 7.8 AST, 2.4 TO, 1.5 STL, 13.4 PPG
Conley- 36:17 mins, 46.4 FG%, 84 FT%, 3.7 REB, 5.6 AST, 2.2 TO, 1.7 STL, 14.5 PPG

Rondo averaged less playing time, but averaged more turnovers. Rondo averaged more assists, but also had better surrounding talent. He also averaged around 1 more rebound per game than Conley. Conley averaged more points, but shot a lower percentage.

I'm not saying that Conley is better than Rondo, but considering the C's would also get Gay in this deal, I don't think that Conley is that far off. Conley is also 1.5 years younger.

Trouble87
06-24-2009, 10:50 AM
wonder what Rondo did/didnt do to make the Celts actively look to deal him... seems like they want him gone before next season at all cost

JOSKOMANG4
06-24-2009, 10:50 AM
If I were Ainge I would keep the team intact and not trade anyone. Here they have a championship core of KG, Paul Pierce and Allen...with an ever improving young nuclues of Rondo, Glen Davis, Kendrick Perkins and Leon Powe...who for a large part absolutely flourished last postseason.

Guys like Davis and Perk can now be trusted to play more minutes and keep KG fresh and healthy. All Boston needs is some depth at the wings, but not at the cost of Allen or Pierce. Rondo should absolutely remain untouchable as long as the Big Three are able to still perform at an All-NBA level.

It frustrates me how Ainge is on the verge of ruining a team that could still easily contend the next two years.

Speaking of "Big-Baby' Davis.. the dude is a Restricted Free agent.

Celtics won't have the pull to resign him. their must likely going to sign Leon Powe because he will come cheaper..

By the start of Next season.. Prediction! Big Baby Davis will be OUT of Boston!!!:smoking:

SeoulBeatz
06-24-2009, 10:59 AM
I honestly think this would be a good trade for the Celtics. I don't know why people are so down on Conley. I haven't seen him play that much, but here are Rondo's averages post All-Star game versus Conley's: (from Yahoo.com)

Rondo- 32:47 mins, 50.8 FG%, 67.4 FT%, 4.8 REB, 7.8 AST, 2.4 TO, 1.5 STL, 13.4 PPG
Conley- 36:17 mins, 46.4 FG%, 84 FT%, 3.7 REB, 5.6 AST, 2.2 TO, 1.7 STL, 14.5 PPG

Rondo averaged less playing time, but averaged more turnovers. Rondo averaged more assists, but also had better surrounding talent. He also averaged around 1 more rebound per game than Conley. Conley averaged more points, but shot a lower percentage.

I'm not saying that Conley is better than Rondo, but considering the C's would also get Gay in this deal, I don't think that Conley is that far off. Conley is also 1.5 years younger.

yes there numbers are very similar.

i want to see this trade go down because honestly i think rondo is a product of the system to an extent. he is still very talented though. a top 10 pg no doubt.

he just cant shoot, he's an abysmal shooter and on a team that doesnt have 3 potential HOFer's i dont know if hed be able to produce as well.

And yes Boston fans i know Rondo is fast, but u do realize there are other fast players in this league, one of them being Conley, who is fast if not faster than Rondo (ive seen them both play.)

fredv
06-24-2009, 11:01 AM
Sell when the value is high ;)

Hanzinho
06-24-2009, 11:02 AM
I hate loss Rondo, but Rudy is too much, and Memphis is young team, don't need a Rudy "cancer" Gay...

Conley-RayRay-Pierce-Garnett-Perkins
Marbury-House-Rudy Gay-BigBaby-(?????)

Rudy with lot of minutes, (SG,SF,and PF)

I like this trade...

:clap:

Ron_Mexico
06-24-2009, 11:02 AM
I'm a Celtics fan by the way, and I would be happy if this deal happened.

Mile High Champ
06-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Rondo' game is beyond one dimensional.. No way Memphis makes this trade. Its clear that Ainge is no longer confident that Rondo can get much better or has a future with the celtics.

LetsGo HomeTeam
06-24-2009, 11:07 AM
something tells me that this was initiated my the Celtics not the Grizzlies

theimortalone
06-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Man Boston is shopping Rondo to every team in the NBA! :laugh2:

marques724
06-24-2009, 11:32 AM
I am missing something, to me the celtics were just a healthy KG from playing the lakers in the finals again. I just don't get why the celtics are trying to trade Rondo.

IRUAM #21
06-24-2009, 11:39 AM
Man Boston is shopping Rondo to every team in the NBA! :laugh2:

Not to Miami :(

toovey107
06-24-2009, 11:44 AM
if the #2 pick can sumhow be put in there without us losing allen id pull the trigger on this deal...

rubio
allen
pierce
kg
perk

bench
gay
davis
house
marbury

that team could compete this year and a future with rubio gay and perkins is pretty promising as well
why the **** would memphis do that?

lets not be too much of a homer god

effen5
06-24-2009, 11:47 AM
I am missing something, to me the celtics were just a healthy KG from playing the lakers in the finals again. I just don't get why the celtics are trying to trade Rondo.

What did Rondo do?!!?!? :confused::confused:

toovey107
06-24-2009, 11:48 AM
maybe its because for one , IMO rondo is extremely overrated and his value is at its highest point. plus as much as ainge said his attitude has nothing to do with his name being rumored around , i bet it is.

not to mention, maybe he realizes probably after this following year their window is quickly beginning to close and trading rondo helps them retool and get younger. not the worse idea IMO

LetsGo HomeTeam
06-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Rubio is a ways away from starting on a contending NBA team...

J-Relo
06-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Gay is not a SG, so no, he would not play over Allen. You really think Conley could average a triple double in the playoffs like Rondo did? I don't think so. Part of what makes Rondo great on our team is his speed, he is one of the fastest players in the league. Not sure Conley is on the same level as him. I like Conley, but not that much.

POINT GUARD averaging triple double is not as good as it sounds... taking away rebounds from your bigs isn't a job for a point guard...

LetsGo HomeTeam
06-24-2009, 11:58 AM
POINT GUARD averaging triple double is not as good as it sounds... taking away rebounds from your bigs isn't a job for a point guard...

perk was the only big he stole rebounds from and he was doing what he needed to do for the team w/o Garnett

it proves he can do everything except shoot and he does all those other things very well also

chin chukwu
06-24-2009, 12:02 PM
question: why on earth are the celtics shopping rajon rondo?!!!

bostncelts34
06-24-2009, 12:10 PM
When this rumor originally came out, i beleive it was something like Rondo/allen for #2 +gay + bad contract

bostncelts34
06-24-2009, 12:12 PM
What did Rondo do?!!?!? :confused::confused:

Nothing.

Ainge is shopping aroudn seeing what his and allen's value are. If he can get a trade that helps them get younger, more depth and still at the top in the championship picture, he would pull the trigger. He realizes that if there is a trade out there like this, he needs to re-tool this team so that in 3-5 years we arent a 40-40 team again.

JordansBulls
06-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Seems like Rondo is a locker room cancer for the Celtics to be shopping him this much.

BULLSFAN0810
06-24-2009, 01:12 PM
time for me to school you un educated ballers....
Celtics used Allen as the primary Ball handler and also Pierce , which means they dont trust ROndo... if your Pg or any player gives you issues , you must trade him no matter how good you may feel he may become ... point blank

bostncelts34
06-24-2009, 01:28 PM
time for me to school you un educated ballers....
Celtics used Allen as the primary Ball handler and also Pierce , which means they dont trust ROndo... if your Pg or any player gives you issues , you must trade him no matter how good you may feel he may become ... point blank

what are you talking about.

Rondo was our primary ball handler without a doubt.

mrblisterdundee
06-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Why would Boston want to trade for a small forward? Their second best player is a small forward. Furthermore, their best player is the point guard they would be trading. Rajon Rondo is much better than Mike Conley. That trade doesn't make sense.

Master Mind
06-24-2009, 02:59 PM
If Memphis do that they need to be kicked out of the league...The Gasol trade was enough

Jay22Redd
06-24-2009, 03:16 PM
I heard Rondo is a headcase in the locker room, is that true???

dre1990
06-24-2009, 03:19 PM
i would not do it if i were boston.

x2