PDA

View Full Version : Are the Giants for real?

CAIN=FUTURE
06-24-2009, 04:29 AM
Are the Giants for real? Can they keep this up? Can they win the Wild Card? Yes or no? Why?

There are no secrets about the Giants, they couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat, but they sure as **** can pitch. If the season ended right now the Giants would win the Wild Card, and be finished tied with the Phillies for the 3rd best record in the NL, unfortunately we don't end the season in June, so we got aways to go. If the pitching holds together, and we can muster a few runs here and there I definitely see the Giants being right there come game 162, but I didn't make this to say hey look at the Giants, I made it for your opinion, so go ahead... For real or no?! My answer is obvious...

goldenstater
06-24-2009, 05:02 AM
i think a lot has to happen. but this team is pretty damn scrapy. but there is still so long to go and other teams have a lot better offenses than us it might be hard to keep this pace. but i think it is possible and they as of right now are for real if they can keep it up is the real question. that remains to be seen.

AllTheWay
06-24-2009, 05:24 AM
They are definitely for real

Beno7500
06-24-2009, 05:48 AM
there for real. they got timmy

downsos
06-24-2009, 06:07 AM
I try to defend us and say we aren't homers and threads like this pop up. :pity:

LetsGoA's
06-24-2009, 06:32 AM
They are not for real at all. They have no run support. And their panzy gm doesn't have the cajones to sign a bat so don't look for any improvements to the line up as far as offense is concerned. They won't come close to the wild card once in the stretch. Cards or cinci

Pinstripe pride
06-24-2009, 08:42 AM
I think they are for real. They can't hit, but pitching can take you a long way. They have one of the best, if not the best, pitching staffs in all of baseball.

REGular
06-24-2009, 08:49 AM
Tough question for me to answer . . . I think the Giants are "for real", but that's not enough to win the wild card.
If they can continue to grow as a young club they'll contend in a couple of years, but I don't think they can legitimately keep it up for this season.

dodgersuck
06-24-2009, 09:00 AM
i hope they are

Dark Donnie
06-24-2009, 09:09 AM
Until they add a middle of the order bat no, they're not for real.

goldenstater
06-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Tough question for me to answer . . . I think the Giants are "for real", but that's not enough to win the wild card.
If they can continue to grow as a young club they'll contend in a couple of years, but I don't think they can legitimately keep it up for this season.

i think you said it well. i hope they can but your statemant is a bit more accurate i believe.

Havoc Wreaker
06-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Cain is finally living up to his hype
Lincecum is being very good again

the offense is a little shady

I've always liked the Giants and I do hate the Dodgers so..all the power to y'all

IRUAM #21
06-24-2009, 11:24 AM
2 threads in the mlb forum about the Giants is enough, people are gonna be pissed.

Dark Donnie
06-24-2009, 11:40 AM
2 threads in the mlb forum about the Giants is enough, people are gonna be pissed.

:cry:

jehovah joe
06-24-2009, 11:58 AM
I think they are for real. They can't hit, but pitching can take you a long way. They have one of the best, if not the best, pitching staffs in all of baseball.

:cheers:

im a giants fan... but this is how i truly feel...

mavwar53
06-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Until they add a middle of the order bat no, they're not for real.

I think they are for real but unless they add a bat I doubt they will win the wildcard, even if it is just a leadoff batter I think it makes their chances to win the wildcard much better and makes them the favorite. I'm hoping for a power bat though.

SFGiants4life
06-24-2009, 01:23 PM
I think they are for real but unless they add a bat I doubt they will win the wildcard, even if it is just a leadoff batter I think it makes their chances to win the wildcard much better and makes them the favorite. I'm hoping for a power bat though.

Aaron Rowand has been a leadoff god since he moved to the position....but any ways, i don't think they will win the WC if that is what your trying to ask. Unless Johnathan Sanchez starts pitching like he belongs in the rotation and the regular hitters get it together, Winn, Molina, Renteria etc. i see them missing out of the WC by 4-5 games when all is said and done. If they do add a bat sometime this year i will give them a slight MAYBE, like a 20% chance but nothing more. Just my 2 cents

LakersnDodgers
06-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Cain is finally living up to his hype
Lincecum is being very good again

the offense is a little shady

I've always liked the Giants and I do hate the Dodgers so..all the power to y'all

We hate you too! but then again its Philly so a lot of people hate you.

This thread is more if the Gnats are for real for the Wild Card---they are 9 back of the Dodgers (best team in baseball) so if their going to make a run at the postseason it will be via Wild Card.The Gnats need a bat to make a run with the Cards,Cubs,Brewers and Mets---the Gnats pitching is pretty solid but their 3rd lowest in the N.L in runs scored.I don't care how good your pitching is that will not get you in the postseason! If a solid hitter is acquired i will take them more seriously.

SFGiants4life
06-24-2009, 01:48 PM

This thread is more if the Gnats are for real for the Wild Card---their 9 back of the Dodgers (best team in baseball) so if their going to make a run at the postseason it will be via Wild Card.The Gnats need a bat to make a run with the Cards,Cubs,Brewers and Mets---the Gnats pitching is pretty solid but their 3rd lowest in the N.L in runs scored.I don't care how good your pitching is, that will not get you into the postseason! If a solid hitter is acquired i will take them more seriously.

they're 8.5

they are actually 8.5 back, and the dodgers have played 2 more games than the Giants so potentially they are only 7.5 back, but a hitter is needed to be in contention in the WC or West

DodgersFanFor23
06-24-2009, 01:49 PM

This thread is more if the Gnats are for real for the Wild Card---their 9 back of the Dodgers (best team in baseball) so if their going to make a run at the postseason it will be via Wild Card.The Gnats need a bat to make a run with the Cards,Cubs,Brewers and Mets---the Gnats pitching is pretty solid but their 3rd lowest in the N.L in runs scored.I don't care how good your pitching is that will not get you in the postseason! If a solid hitter is acquired i will take them more seriously.

Maybe two hitters actually and an outfielder like Scott and an infielder like Derosa.

DodgersFanFor23
06-24-2009, 01:51 PM
they're 8.5

they are actually 8.5 back, and the dodgers have played 2 more games than the Giants so potentially they are only 7.5 back, but a hitter is needed to be in contention in the WC or West

Wow big difference.
Try getting in between at least 5 games to be considered a threat ok.

LakersnDodgers
06-24-2009, 02:07 PM
Wow big difference.
Try getting in between at least 5 games to be considered a threat ok.

Yeah and the Gnats fan throws in the "you've played 2 more games so its like 7.5" what a tool! actually after Timmy and Cain the Gnats usually lose---I think R.J is pitching tonight so count a loss there..........after we win (like always) we will be 9.5 AHEAD! but really who's counting? were the best team in the league with the biggest division lead.There is NO RACE IN THE WEST---Gnats haven't sniffed the playoffs in how long? with that lineup there not about to anytime soon :D

Cheezombie
06-24-2009, 02:12 PM
Yeah and the Gnats fan throws in the "you've played 2 more games so its like 7.5" what a tool! actually after Timmy and Cain the Gnats usually lose---I think R.J is pitching tonight so count a loss there..........after we win (like always) we will be 9.5 AHEAD! but really who's counting? were the best team in the league with the biggest division lead.There is NO RACE IN THE WEST---Gnats haven't sniffed the playoffs in how long? with that lineup there not about to anytime soon :D

Take this (http://www.better-english.com/easier/theyre.htm) and call me in the morning.

LakersnDodgers
06-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Take this (http://www.better-english.com/easier/theyre.htm) and call me in the morning.

Its a sports blog......i just type fast and put out what i gotta say.I could care-less about the perfect grammer smart-***

Don't you have anything better to say? or put your 2 cents in this blog than that? pathetic A's fan.

sep11ie
06-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Funny, they dump Bonds, now they can't score runs...

Cheezombie
06-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Its a sports blog......i just type fast and put out what i gotta say.I could care-less about the perfect grammer smart-***

Don't you have anything better to say? or put your 2 cents in this blog than that? pathetic A's fan.

Obviously it bugs more than just me.

GHGHCP
06-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Giants really need another bat or two to be taken seriously. Odds are not in their favor to even take the WC.

http://www.coolstandings.com/baseball_standings.asp?i=1

mavwar53
06-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Aaron Rowand has been a leadoff god since he moved to the position....but any ways, i don't think they will win the WC if that is what your trying to ask. Unless Johnathan Sanchez starts pitching like he belongs in the rotation and the regular hitters get it together, Winn, Molina, Renteria etc. i see them missing out of the WC by 4-5 games when all is said and done. If they do add a bat sometime this year i will give them a slight MAYBE, like a 20% chance but nothing more. Just my 2 cents

Rowand is doing a great job leading off but he isn't being paid 12mil to lead off and hit solo HR's when he hits HR's we need him in a run producing position or even the 2 spot so renteria can bat 7th or 8th.

DodgersFanFor23
06-24-2009, 02:30 PM
I hate the Giants, but the only way they can contend and I mean for the wild card is if they can acquire Luke Scott & Mark DeRosa. That would make them pretty scary.

raidersrock99
06-24-2009, 02:36 PM
They are not for real at all. They have no run support. And their panzy gm doesn't have the cajones to sign a bat so don't look for any improvements to the line up as far as offense is concerned. They won't come close to the wild card once in the stretch. Cards or cinci

howd that broom feel in sf btw:clap:

theproof
06-24-2009, 02:38 PM

:laugh:

I hate when people make fun of my grammar too but that was damn funny.

GoatMilk
06-24-2009, 02:39 PM
i guess they are in terms of wild card berth, but they better keep winning because Milwaukee or St. Louis aren't gonna go away. they're the better teams

Lincecum4CY
06-24-2009, 02:47 PM

I actually agree with a dodger fan..WOW.

Cheez your a ******* idiot, i have yet to see you post ANYTHING productive. Do you not have a job? If you are still a student, how is your dumba$.s not taking summer school after failing pretty much all your classes.

theproof
06-24-2009, 02:51 PM

Cheez your a ******* idiot, i have yet to see you post ANYTHING productive. Do you not have a job? If you are still a student, how is your dumba$.s not taking summer school after failing pretty much all your classes.

Tone it down man. You don't want to get banned.

long ball
06-24-2009, 03:01 PM
There are probably about 8 teams that could win the wild card-

Cubs, Brewers, Reds, Cardinals, Marlins, Mets, Phillies, Giants, Braves, and Rockies.

Now two of those teams will be division winners, but none of those other teams are out of it.

As for the Giants specifically: they have a lousy offense and everyone knows that. They have a great 1-2 in the rotation, a solid 3, and an inconsistent 4 and 5. A solid bullpen. I think they'll contend, but I don't think they'll win the wild card.

DodgersFanFor23
06-24-2009, 03:06 PM
SIDE NOTE

Injuries can happen at anytime to any team ruining your wild card dreams.

beantownboy
06-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Lincecum and Cain are for real. I don't think Zito, Johnson, and Sanchez are anywhere near for real so i don't think you have the best rotation. Still very respectable tho. No bats that really produce besides Molina and he's still only batting .264 with only 41 rbi's. Just because the giants have improved doesn't mean they are for real. I'm not saying this with any sort of biased either. I actually like the Giants but i'm also a realist. They are not for real yet.

ESaady
06-24-2009, 03:24 PM
There is a glaring problem for the Giants IMO, they don't know whether they want to develop or win...so what they have decided to do is win while developing :D. Really though, the Giants still don't know what they want or what they should do, and Sabean threw out a smokescreen when he said that the Giants do know what they want. Should they trade part of a very solid farm system for getting into the playoffs for maybe just this year? Or should they hold onto their pieces pray that they pan out and possibly make a run at the playoffs every year? That's the dilemma I see in San Francisco.

Bleeds Blue
06-24-2009, 03:27 PM
cain and lincecum would be very scary to face in the playoffs, not sure they can get there though. they have a lethal 1-2 and their bp is good but the rest of that rotation isnt impressive. if they can add derosa and one of zito, sanchez, or rj get it going then they can have a solid shot at the wild card.

sacgiants1213
06-24-2009, 03:54 PM
i posted this in the giants forum and will post it here.

Giants are on pace to score 4 less runs this year but are also on pace to give up 120 less runs this year. We knew the offense would be bad, but not this bad. Giants need to get a bat before deadline, hopefully sooner rather than later. If sabean does that, giants are legit with their pitching staff/bullpen.

Gigantes4Life
06-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Giants really need another bat or two to be taken seriously. Odds are not in their favor to even take the WC.

http://www.coolstandings.com/baseball_standings.asp?i=1

Those odds aren't bad, 2nd highest likely to win the WC :)

Internal changes need to be done to continue the overperforming so far.

KenTHEsfKING
06-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Those odds aren't bad, 2nd highest likely to win the WC :)

Internal changes need to be done to continue the overperforming so far.

yeah like starting nate scherholts - 3 hits last night.

my lineup / batting order

CF Rowand
LF Torres
3B Sandoval
RF Scherholtz
C Molina
SS Renetria
1B Ishikawa / Aurillia
2B Downs
P Lincecum, Cain, RJ, Zito, anybody better than sanchez right now

Gigantes4Life
06-24-2009, 04:22 PM
yeah like starting nate scherholts - 3 hits last night.

my lineup / batting order

CF Rowand
LF Torres
3B Sandoval
RF Scherholtz
C Molina
SS Renetria
1B Ishikawa / Aurillia
2B Downs
P Lincecum, Cain, RJ, Zito, anybody better than sanchez right now

Yes, now go post in the Giants forum :)

I've never seen you in there.

theproof
06-24-2009, 06:25 PM
A little bitter about the...SWEEP?!?

I don't call him the ultimate hater for nothin

Cheezombie
06-24-2009, 07:38 PM

Maybe you should start stalking me. I'm a college student. Do not fail my classes, and can't get a job because i'm heading to Germany in a couple weeks. But seriously dude, you need to chill out. I wasn't the only one to give him **** for his grammar, but you don't jump on the other guy's *** cause he's a Giants fan. Grow up dude.

Contribute something productive? Every time i do, you come into the thread and tell me I can't say that because the Giants swept the A's. Where's the logic in that? I've said i don't think Cain is for real, and i gave my reasons. I think he is a good pitcher, but no elite pitcher. Anyone who knew anything about statistics would agree with me. The Giants current pythag record has them roughly 1-2 wins above .500. Is it possible they keep up their pace given a lucky Cain and an ok pythag? Sure. Is it probable? No. And it's not probable to keep up with teams like the Cubs and Mets who have gotten off to slow starts, but have proven they can win. I will not say the Giants are true contenders until they add at least 1 offensive player. Until then, they're an average team until they prove me wrong.

But wait, I'm an A's fan, I'm not allowed to express this blasphemy because the Giants beat the sad team that is the A's. Stone me to death.

Joe505
06-25-2009, 01:54 AM
Well you are an A's fan so you can shut up. But in other news...

Asking if the Giants are for real? Well seeing as they have the second best record in the National League, I'd say yes. Second best pitching in the National League, I'd say yes. People need to open there eyes. All that pythag bull **** and haven't proven they can win is just stupid. The Giants are finding ways to win, Cain hasn't been lucky, he is finally living up to his potential. We have 3 pitchers with 7 wins or higher, our BP is great and our closer now has 20 saves, with a high 2 ERA. When the Giants get there big bat, maybe people will start realizing that the Giants will be a scary team down the stretch, and even scarier in the playoffs.

Wrigheyes4MVP
06-25-2009, 02:17 AM
Tough question...are the Giants for real?

I would say no...but they are an improved team from the last couple of years.

I just dont think they will make the playoffs when it is all said and done.

MetsFan28
06-25-2009, 02:19 AM

Asking if the Giants are for real? Well seeing as they have the second best record in the National League, I'd say yes. Second best pitching in the National League, I'd say yes. People need to open there eyes. All that pythag bull **** and haven't proven they can win is just stupid. The Giants are finding ways to win, Cain hasn't been lucky, he is finally living up to his potential. We have 3 pitchers with 7 wins, our BP is great and our closer now has 20 saves, with a high 2 ERA. When the Giants get there big bat, maybe people will start realizing that the Giants will be a scary team down the stretch, and even scarier in the playoffs.

I will put money down that the Mets, Phillies, Braves, Cubs, Cardinals, and Dodgers all have better records by the end of the season. And the Marlins, Reds, Astros, Brewers, and Diamondbacks shouldn't be too far behind. The Giants are in a horrible division which is why they have the second best record in the NL. Also, the Mets, Phillies, and Cubs, who are all clearly better are struggling right now and will get their acts together soon.

Gigantes4Life
06-25-2009, 02:27 AM
How is the NL West a horrible division? Top two teams in the NL (one the best in baseball), and the Rockies are right behind the Giants.

MetsFan28
06-25-2009, 02:31 AM
How is the NL West a horrible division? Top two teams in the NL (one the best in baseball), and the Rockies are right behind the Giants.

Dodgers are only best in baseball because they are in the worst division. Giants would be below .500 in any other division too.

SFGiants4life
06-25-2009, 02:35 AM

Denial obviously, i still don't understand how everyone says the west is bad,

Dodgers are only best in baseball because they are in the worst division. Giants would be below .500 in any other division too.

Please explain how the West is the worst, and provide some real facts please

Dodgers record outside the division: 21-15
Giants record outside the division: 24-16
Rockies record outside the division: 26-18
Diamondbacks record outside the division: 18-22
Padres record outside the division: 14-21

Teams combined: 103-92

But i once again do not think the Giants will make the playoffs, but not by much

Joe505
06-25-2009, 02:42 AM
Ignorance is bliss.

zambo4president
06-25-2009, 02:57 AM
They can hang for now, i gave them a yes, but lets see what they can add at the deadline.

Cheezombie
06-25-2009, 02:59 AM

Asking if the Giants are for real? Well seeing as they have the second best record in the National League, I'd say yes. Second best pitching in the National League, I'd say yes. People need to open there eyes. All that pythag BS and haven't proven they can win is just stupid. The Giants are finding ways to win, Cain hasn't been lucky, he is finally living up to his potential. We have 3 pitchers with 7 wins, our BP is great and our closer now has 20 saves, with a high 2 ERA. When the Giants get there big bat, maybe people will start realizing that the Giants will be a scary team down the stretch, and even scarier in the playoffs.

I'm sorry dude but Cain has been lucky. He's not pitching any differently than any other year. The difference with this season is that his BABIP is .263 with almost 90% LOB percentage. In other words: luck. The pythag record isn't BS. Just because they are outperforming their pythag doesn't make them special. It means their lucky. If they were special, they would be able to do it consistently. I've had this same exact argument with Mariner fans before last season. People looked at the fact that they won 88 games in 2007. They thought they would compete with the Angels. I pointed out the fact that they allowed more runs than they scored. People called the pythag record BS just like you, and claimed their team had some special talent to win all the close games, and get destroyed in the games they lost. It doesn't work out that way. Who ended up being right? Well, go look at the standings from last year.

goldenstater
06-25-2009, 03:00 AM

three teams over 500. makes it the worst division. that logic sucks and we are all dumber for having read it. i guess the AL east is **** then too.

SFGiants4life
06-25-2009, 03:13 AM
I pointed out the fact that they allowed more runs than they scored.

The thing is the Giants do not give up many runs, as a matter of fact they have given up the least amount of runs in the Majors at 270 where they have scored 281. Now that is not a major difference but when you consider how ****** the Giants offense is with the 3rd worst scoring offense in the Majors you have to figure they are doing something right. Also, they are tied with the Tigers in Shut outs in the Majors. You can argue all you want, but they are in the WC lead right now by 1.0 game, and if they do half way decent against the Brewers their next series (2nd in WC) they can extend that lead to around 2.0 games.

sacgiants1213
06-25-2009, 03:15 AM
the next 2 series (mil and stl on the road) is a great gauge for how good this giants team is..

Gigantes4Life
06-25-2009, 03:20 AM
I'm sorry dude but Cain has been lucky. He's not pitching any differently than any other year. The difference with this season is that his BABIP is .263 with almost 90% LOB percentage. In other words: luck. The pythag record isn't BS. Just because they are outperforming their pythag doesn't make them special. It means their lucky. If they were special, they would be able to do it consistently. I've had this same exact argument with Mariner fans before last season. People looked at the fact that they won 88 games in 2007. They thought they would compete with the Angels. I pointed out the fact that they allowed more runs than they scored. People called the pythag record BS just like you, and claimed their team had some special talent to win all the close games, and get destroyed in the games they lost. It doesn't work out that way. Who ended up being right? Well, go look at the standings from last year.

You also have to consider that teams usually go over or under their pythag. Hell, the Blue Jays should have won the WC and the Red Sox the East last year. BsR pythag is a lot more accurate as a team can score/allow more or less runs than they should have based on how they performed.

In a single season, there's too much variability in a season to use pythat accurately. But there's no reason to think a team in a playoff position halfway through the season can't continue to overperform. I mean, the Angels should have won 88 games last year by pythag, there's that much of random error. Also bullpen activity has been known to affect pythag, as well as the whole concept of WP.

Gigantes4Life
06-25-2009, 03:24 AM
Oh and one more thing, beating your pythag by 2 games means very little. If we want to look at it more specifically, this would be the order of NL teams:

Dodgers
Brewers
Rockies
Phillies
Giants

Cheezombie
06-25-2009, 03:25 AM
You also have to consider that teams usually go over or under their pythag. Hell, the Blue Jays should have won the WC and the Red Sox the East last year. BsR pythag is a lot more accurate as a team can score/allow more or less runs than they should have based on how they performed.

In a single season, there's too much variability in a season to use pythat accurately. But there's no reason to think a team in a playoff position halfway through the season can't continue to overperform. I mean, the Angels should have won 88 games last year by pythag, there's that much of random error. Also bullpen activity has been known to affect pythag, as well as the whole concept of WP.

Right, i realize that you can continue to overperform your pythag, but what i'm saying is that it is improbable. I never said anything is impossible. This is baseball we're talking about.:)

Joe505
06-25-2009, 03:26 AM

Hey that argument that you had with the Mariners fan must have been awesome. I mean really cool.:rolleyes: The only problem with that pertaining to the Giants is that they aren't getting blown out in the their loses and aren't giving up that many runs anyway. Your stats about Cain you can shove up your ***, because he is just now reaching what he can be, maybe a little luck, but not a whole lot. And if there is one pitcher in the MLB that deserves a little luck, it's Matt Cain. He went 5 seasons with ZERO run support. His record would have been half way decent in those seasons if the Giants had an offense. But that's a whole other story. Just keep quiet, your just a little upset about the whole 5-1 season series overall record the Giants had against the A's.

the next 2 series (mil and stl on the road) is a great gauge for how good this giants team is..

Couldn't agree more. Once this road trip is said and done then we'll know where they stand. And if they can find a way to take both series say go 5-2 and head closer to the All-Star break, I think that will solidify that they are "Real."

CAIN=FUTURE
06-25-2009, 03:33 AM
Its decided (by like 3 Giants fans at least), if we have a good road trip in Milwaukee and St. Louis the Giants are forizzle!

Cheezombie
06-25-2009, 03:33 AM
Hey that argument that you had with the Mariners fan must have been awesome. I mean really cool.:rolleyes: The only problem with that pertaining to the Giants is that they aren't getting blown out in the their loses and aren't giving up that many runs anyway. Your stats about Cain you can shove up your ***, because he is just now reaching what he can be, maybe a little luck, but not a whole lot. And if there is one pitcher in the MLB that deserves a little luck, it's Matt Cain. He went 5 seasons with ZERO run support. His record would have been half way decent in those seasons if the Giants had an offense. But that's a whole other story. Just keep quiet, your just a little upset about the whole 5-1 season series overall record the Giants had against the A's.

Couldn't agree more. Once this road trip is said and done then we'll know where they stand. And if they can find a way to take both series say go 5-2 and head closer to the All-Star break, I think that will solidify that they are "Real."

Sure, it is unlucky that he had no run support. But anyone who judges a pitcher using their win-loss should be considered an idiot. Not saying you're that person. But when i talk about luck, I'm talking about him not deserving a 2.2 era or whatever it's currently at, he deserves more like a 3.4 era.

I would be making the same exact argument had the A's beat the Giants. You're just trying to find a reason to invalidate my argument.

But uhh yeah that's pretty much it, have fun when reality sets in.

Gigantes4Life
06-25-2009, 03:39 AM
Right, i realize that you can continue to overperform your pythag, but what i'm saying is that it is improbable. I never said anything is impossible. This is baseball we're talking about.:)

Yeah, but no reason to act like the Giants are the 05 Nats, or even the 07 Mariners. We're talking a couple games here, not 10 or more.

Living Legend
06-25-2009, 03:55 AM
Is this thread for real?

MetsFan28
06-25-2009, 10:37 AM
three teams over 500. makes it the worst division. that logic sucks and we are all dumber for having read it. i guess the AL east is **** then too.

Obviously they are over .500 because they play each other so many times. Dodgers are the only good team in that division and even they are outperforming thenselves.

SFGiants4life
06-25-2009, 12:34 PM
Obviously they are over .500 because they play each other so many times. Dodgers are the only good team in that division and even they are outperforming thenselves.

wow, that is the most ridiculous reasoning i have ever read, you would probably say everyone would be over.500 if they only played each other which isnt even possible, and you refused to rebuttal against my post for some reason...... i wonder why

Tevv-nah-Bead
06-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Cheezombie...Cain SHOULD have a 3.4 ERA??? The fact of the matter is..HE DOESNT..its 2.22 for a reason..hes shoving..stop hating.

Cadarn
06-25-2009, 01:03 PM
I honestly think the dodgers should be worried if the scum win the wildcard. They can't match up with the pitching.

Joe505
06-25-2009, 01:28 PM
I honestly think the dodgers should be worried if the scum win the wildcard. They can't match up with the pitching.

Not that Im mad, but where did the Giants get the Nickname the scum? I know the dodgers have been the Bums forever now. But the Scum? Please explain.

CAIN=FUTURE
06-25-2009, 02:07 PM
Is this thread for real?

No its for fake

Joe505
06-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Remember when the Clown kept coming in our forum during the offseason and saying that Manny was ours, and the Dodgers are going to suck this year. He is a funny one...

THINKBLUE15
06-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Do I think the Giants are for real?

(Drum roll)......

Yes, I do. Does that mean that they will make the playoffs? No, but they have a chance. Just because you don't make the playoffs doesn't mean you aren't a 'real' contender. If they do get to the playoffs they can do some damage with their pitching. However, I do think they need a bat to beat out the Cards/Cubs, Brewers, etc. in the long run. If I had to put money on it, I wouldn't say the Giants will be playing in October...but I wouldn't be surprised either.

CityofTreez
06-25-2009, 03:01 PM
I will put money down that the Mets, Phillies, Braves, Cubs, Cardinals, and Dodgers all have better records by the end of the season. And the Marlins, Reds, Astros, Brewers, and Diamondbacks shouldn't be too far behind. The Giants are in a horrible division which is why they have the second best record in the NL. Also, the Mets, Phillies, and Cubs, who are all clearly better are struggling right now and will get their acts together soon.

HaHa! Finally a met's fan shows his true colors!

Met's making the playoffs, ha, wait, weren't you guys swept by the nationals & pirates? Yup. Giants are in a horrible division w/ haren having 1 of the best ERA's, Rockies are destroying teams all over, and the Dodgers being the best team in the MLB! Met's are clearly struggling because your injured and have committed the most bonehead plays of the year, pelfrey falling off mounds; 2 balks in 1 inning, church missing 3rd base, castillo dropping pop fly and David Wright is your only hitter right as of now, probably going to have a career high in K's this year!

On a side note: We are for real, because we could of garnered one of the best interleague records this year, if it wasn't for Jonathan Sanchez performance in against Anaheim & Oakland! Were finding ways to win games w/ out a big run support, Texas Rangers series: extra inning game. Bullpen was great and SP is simply amazing, excluding Sanchez.

They are who we thought they were!

Cheezombie
06-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Cheezombie...Cain SHOULD have a 3.4 ERA??? The fact of the matter is..HE DOESNT..its 2.22 for a reason..hes shoving..stop hating.

No, you obviously just don't understand how fluky a stat era is. His K's and walks are essentially the same as any other year. He is pitching the same as any other year. But i will give him the benefit of the doubt and say he deserves a 3.4 era vs a 3.6.

GIANTS 4 LIFE
06-25-2009, 04:42 PM
No, you obviously just don't understand how fluky a stat era is. His K's and walks are essentially the same as any other year. He is pitching the same as any other year. But i will give him the benefit of the doubt and say he deserves a 3.4 era vs a 3.6.
K's and walks don't affect your era as much as you are making it out to be...It is all about pitching when men are on base...Cain is a way better pitcher this year with runners on than he has in the past...He has learned to pitch. To say his era should be 3.4-3.6 is kind of a dumb statement...If you have watched Matt pitch the last three years you would see this year how he has much better command of his pitches with runners on. He is not trying to strike everyone out anymore...He has become a pitcher and not a thrower...He will not keep a 2.28 era all year because rarely any pitcher does but he is a much better pitcher this year than years past. The bottom line is he has not pitched the same as any other year...He has learned to give up his hits with no one on base and bare down with runners on...Numbers just don't tell the story completely

Cheezombie
06-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Sure they do. He has a lucky Babip. Balls off the bat are going his way. And you're right, he is doing much better with runners on base. He has almost a 90% left on base rate...which is unsustainable even for the best pitchers in history.

KenTHEsfKING
06-25-2009, 04:53 PM
Yes, now go post in the Giants forum :)

I've never seen you in there.

sure thing bro - normally only post about the niners on PSD but my other favorite team is so fun to watch this year and they've won all but one of the games i've been to this year 6-1 including one away game at oakland on tuesday

Gigantes4Life
06-25-2009, 05:18 PM
Sure they do. He has a lucky Babip. Balls off the bat are going his way. And you're right, he is doing much better with runners on base. He has almost a 90% left on base rate...which is unsustainable even for the best pitchers in history.

His BABIP is not that lucky.

His xBABIP is .286 and his BABIP is .263.

sure thing bro - normally only post about the niners on PSD but my other favorite team is so fun to watch this year and they've won all but one of the games i've been to this year 6-1 including one away game at oakland on tuesday

It's awesome there. :hi5:

KenTHEsfKING
06-25-2009, 05:24 PM

x2

KenTHEsfKING
06-25-2009, 05:27 PM
His BABIP is not that lucky.

His xBABIP is .286 and his BABIP is .263.

Cain was good last year too, he just didn't have luck in the run support dept.

now he is. still has all the great stuff and is still super young like lincecum

It's awesome there. :hi5:

sure is man i usually get seats in the shade of view reserved behind home plate or first base - best ball park in the bay by a long shot. great scenery too (lady giants fans) haha

CAIN=FUTURE
06-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Do I think the Giants are for real?

(Drum roll)......

Yes, I do. Does that mean that they will make the playoffs? No, but they have a chance. Just because you don't make the playoffs doesn't mean you aren't a 'real' contender. If they do get to the playoffs they can do some damage with their pitching. However, I do think they need a bat to beat out the Cards/Cubs, Brewers, etc. in the long run. If I had to put money on it, I wouldn't say the Giants will be playing in October...but I wouldn't be surprised either.

Fair enough, but we'll see you in the NLCS!

Lincecum4CY
06-26-2009, 02:07 AM

You don't understand...he DOESN"T HAVE A 3.4 or 3.6 era. The matter of the fact is his era is 2.28 for a reason...hes not giving up runs. I don't care about allowed hits/bb's and a lot of other stats..i care about how many runs hes giving up and how deep hes going into ball games. I mean, he is no elite pitcher by any means, but hes only 24 and younger than Tim Lincecum. Hes giving up baserunners, yet hes going deep into games and not giving up runs, allowing his team to win.

According to you, he SHOULD have an era over 3.4 which in reality doesn't mean anything because he doesn't, there is no fluke, hes just dominant and not allowing runners to score. its simple.

Joe505
06-26-2009, 03:08 AM
Possibly your best post I have read. Touche.

Well thanks. Im glad to see it's appreciated. Im just tired of this Luck nonsense.

Droopie28
06-26-2009, 04:09 AM

ur just hating on them because we tie the season series with you, and because ur A's were suppose ot be good, but Giambi and Chavez aren't doing scrap

Droopie28
06-26-2009, 04:10 AM
JOE505, I cant agree more with you
Poor cain has had no luck with run support the last couple of years, and I swear if that kept up he would want to be traded, the kid is raw, and I can see him keeping this up the whole year as long as the runs are there for him.

Joe505
06-26-2009, 05:01 AM
Exactly, the Guy is good, he just needs some runs to show it. Like Zito his record with 4+ runs is like 105-3!!! That's what goo pitchers do with run support. They win. Alright Cheezombie?

GoatMilk
06-26-2009, 05:20 AM
Cain and Lince are for real

yojoe792
06-26-2009, 01:33 PM
For real? In the sense that they are on pace to finish 17 games back in the division? Sure.

As a Dodger fan, I'm not gonna lie. Timmy-Cain combo is going to be great for a long, long time (assuming they are locked up for that long). Offense certainly has immediate issues, and is not going to take them anywhere in the next couple years. Some prospects look promising, but still presents some longterm holes in the lineup.

MetsFan28
06-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Any Giants fans wanna make a sig bet? Because I don't think the Giants will end up above .500.

Cheezombie
06-26-2009, 02:01 PM
You don't understand...he DOESN"T HAVE A 3.4 or 3.6 era. The matter of the fact is his era is 2.28 for a reason...hes not giving up runs. I don't care about allowed hits/bb's and a lot of other stats..i care about how many runs hes giving up and how deep hes going into ball games. I mean, he is no elite pitcher by any means, but hes only 24 and younger than Tim Lincecum. Hes giving up baserunners, yet hes going deep into games and not giving up runs, allowing his team to win.

According to you, he SHOULD have an era over 3.4 which in reality doesn't mean anything because he doesn't, there is no fluke, hes just dominant and not allowing runners to score. its simple.

I understand what you're saying. But it's all about future performance. Do you really think he will continue to have a 90% left on base rate? That's abnormally high. What's happened now has already happened. There is no karma. But i would be willing to bet that for the remainder of the season, his ERA will be at least a run higher. And i'm going to leave it at that. At this point we can just agree to disagree and see what happens. Cool?:)

theproof
06-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Any Giants fans wanna make a sig bet? Because I don't think the Giants will end up above .500.

You seem to always be on the Giants ***. So what exactly makes you think that, given the fact that right now we have the second highest win percentage?

MetsFan28
06-26-2009, 03:11 PM
You seem to always be on the Giants ***. So what exactly makes you think that, given the fact that right now we have the second highest win percentage?

Answer the question. Yes or no?

CAIN=FUTURE
06-26-2009, 06:09 PM

I'll take it you bum. I'd love to take your milk money (to bad this is the internet though).

UNETOWNBAYAREA
06-26-2009, 06:32 PM
They are for reals. There pitching up and down the rotation and in the pen is solid (Excluding Sanchez)
Everyone seems to undervalue their offense especially with how well lately they've been swinging the bats and Sabean is being pressured from up top to trade for a bat.

cubbies93
06-26-2009, 06:32 PM
i think they are but mabe need another bat. mabe D-Lee

sacgiants1213
06-26-2009, 06:35 PM

yes, i want that sig bet.

downsos
06-26-2009, 08:48 PM

Add me to that bet. If we finish under .500 then it means something went horribly wrong and no sig will be worse than that pain.

MetsFan28
06-27-2009, 01:08 AM
Add me to that bet. If we finish under .500 then it means something went horribly wrong and no sig will be worse than that pain.

Here are terms...

Over .500, all 3 of you win
.500 or under, I win

I guess we just pick each others sig for the whole offseason

downsos
06-27-2009, 03:17 AM
Here are terms...

Over .500, all 3 of you win
.500 or under, I win

I guess we just pick each others sig for the whole offseason

Let's just do a 1 month bet. Every sig bet I've done lasted a month. I just got photoshop and have spent all night making sigs and I want to show them off. :)

goldenstater
06-27-2009, 04:15 AM

how about loser cant post for two months? want to make that bet? you can still look just cant touch.:D unless of course your scared which i totally understand:smoking:? think it over my metro fan.

Kyle916
06-27-2009, 04:33 AM
They are not for real.

THINKBLUE15
06-27-2009, 05:12 AM
They are not for real.

Great insight.

N.Z's #1 Dodger
06-27-2009, 07:08 AM
They are kinda. Their pitching is scary.

They only have to watch out for the NL Central. They have three very good teams that are all IMO better than the Giants. Problem is they play in the toughest division in the NL and will have to beat up each other a lot. During that time the Giants could be playing the likes of the D-Backs and Padres, and gain another leg against the Dodgers who I think are only just winning the 2009 head-to-head record.

The pathetic NL East wont even compete for the wild card, they just have to watch the central.

MetsFan28
06-27-2009, 10:53 AM
how about loser cant post for two months? want to make that bet? you can still look just cant touch.:D unless of course your scared which i totally understand:smoking:? think it over my metro fan.

Nah. I don't want you off the forum. That won't have any affect on me whatsoever. But it will be funny to see your sig if I win the bet.

MetsFan28
06-27-2009, 10:54 AM
They are kinda. Their pitching is scary.

They only have to watch out for the NL Central. They have three very good teams that are all IMO better than the Giants. Problem is they play in the toughest division in the NL and will have to beat up each other a lot. During that time the Giants could be playing the likes of the D-Backs and Padres, and gain another leg against the Dodgers who I think are only just winning the 2009 head-to-head record.

The pathetic NL East wont even compete for the wild card, they just have to watch the central.

Phillies or Mets will win WC IMO.