Tampa Bay Rays $63,313,034
Oakland Athletics $62,310,000
Washington Nationals $60,328,000

40 MILLION CLUB
Pittsburgh Pirates $48,693,000
San Diego Padres $43,734,200

30 MILLION CLUB
Florida Marlins $36,834,000

I posted the team salaries wondering if you don't find the New York Yankees a little overrated compared to the rest of the mlb below there payroll? They have lost there past 3 series against below .500 teams and cannot use injuries for an excuse (unless you think Nady would actually make a difference at the bottom of there line-up) A-rod is struggling to just stay above a .200 avg since returning last month and Jeter is the master of hitting into double plays with runners in scoring position instead of being mr. clutch. I believe the Yankees will miss the playoffs for the second straight year, any thoughts?

brandonwarne52
06-24-2009, 01:29 AM
......drivel.

Cheezombie
06-24-2009, 01:30 AM
Bo Sox Fan claiming the Yankees to be overrated. So what else is new in New England?

abe_froman
06-24-2009, 01:31 AM
whats salary have to do with ratedness??

detroitsports22
06-24-2009, 01:42 AM
whats salary have to do with ratedness??

Quite a bit when they aren't producing like they should be. I think the Yanks will make the playoffs, but it's how far they will get that is the big question. If a team pays that much for players, you can't do much but expect them to do outstanding, it really hasn't been that way.

abe_froman
06-24-2009, 01:49 AM
Quite a bit when they aren't producing like they should be. I think the Yanks will make the playoffs, but it's how far they will get that is the big question. If a team pays that much for players, you can't do much but expect them to do outstanding, it really hasn't been that way.
and what they should be is equal to money

you see i thought rated was based on how many/most rated the teams/players on said teams and how well they think they'll do or should be.see i didnt see everyone saying the yanks would win 100 games+ws this year and that they should be feared

and say white sox are overrated to? i mean most had them finishing third or lower..but salary is high

fire cashman
06-24-2009, 01:51 AM
this guy is freaking obsessed with the yankees all he does it talk about them......i love fake red sock fans who became fans in 2004 who hate the yankees more than they like the sox......as a yankee fan id like to say im sorry to the real red sock fans who get grouped in with fans like this guy

detroitsports22
06-24-2009, 01:52 AM
If a team has a salary through the roof of what some cities cannot even pay, they should win 100+ games, if you ask me, waste of money. But what do the Yankees/Management care? They can afford it.

Driven
06-24-2009, 01:53 AM
I've never been a fan of the teams Cashman puts together. They're all a mess. Obviously their hitting is fine but they need a starting pitcher, or two, or three.

I think their bullpen will come together, but besides Sabathia, no one's having a good season out of their starters. I'm confident Burnett will continue to come around, but after that it's all up in the air. Joba's got to cut down on his walks and up his innings. Until then he's nothing more than a #4 or #5 pitcher. Pettite's been horrendous this year, as has Wang. They need to get Hughes back in the rotation permanently.

Havoc Wreaker
06-24-2009, 01:54 AM
Close Please

carson005
06-24-2009, 01:54 AM
Salary relating to being overrated doesn't really work because then any team with above average salary should be above average which doesn't sound bad, but any team with below average salary should be below average. So if were using salary as a measure then the Yankees are horrible and the Marlins are gods.

(I'm tired so I apologize if this doesn't make sense)

detroitsports22
06-24-2009, 01:56 AM
Well I suppose of the Yanks make playoffs, that salary does indeed payoff, but if they miss playoffs again, it is considered a big upset with the bucks they put into the season.

abe_froman
06-24-2009, 01:56 AM
If a team has a salary through the roof of what some cities cannot even pay, they should win 100+ games, if you ask me, waste of money. But what do the Yankees/Management care? They can afford it.

but this about being overrated/under rated.barry zito,is he overpaid? yes but overrated..i dunno,seeing as no one has a high opinion of him

detroitsports22
06-24-2009, 01:58 AM
but this about being overrated/under rated.barry zito,is he overpaid? yes but overrated..i dunno,seeing as no one has a high opinion of him

I can see what you're saying, but with a whole franchise, and a single player, it is very different. Everyone thinks of the Yankees as a dominating force of baseball, when they really aren't. Which does indeed make them overrated. Being overrated is not a bad thing if you look at it a certain way, it just means they aren't what people say they are.

dbroncos78087
06-24-2009, 01:59 AM
I am a Sox fan and this seems like a weak argument to me. People usually hate on the richer people (in this case team) but i cant rightly defend the Red Sox (nor can you) when they are awfully high on this list. But regardless, you cant really punish them for doing the best they can to make money and win. There is a reason they make by far the most money of any baseball team.

YanksNats1987
06-24-2009, 02:00 AM
If the Yanks aren't in 1st then it's funny b/c of their salary. If they are in 1st, then well they have a big salary so that's why.

This pretty much sums it up.

Driven
06-24-2009, 02:01 AM
I am a Sox fan and this seems like a weak argument to me. People usually hate on the richer people (in this case team) but i cant rightly defend the Red Sox (nor can you) when they are awfully high on this list. But regardless, you cant really punish them for doing the best they can to make money and win. There is a reason they make by far the most money of any baseball team.

If you can make money and win games with Angel Berroa on your team, you're doing something right!

lek
06-24-2009, 02:02 AM
As a yankee fan who watches or listens to about 75% of games I have to say yes the 2009 team is overrated. While money does not buy world series it should at least help put a very good team on the feild. From watching the team as put together at this point it does not seem that good. I will try to run down some of the big problems as I see it.

1) Team is built for home runs and not much else. If you watch the yankees they hit tons of HR especially in the new stadium (don't want to get into all the problems with the new building or should I say mall with baseball, and how they sucked all that was great about yankee stadium out), but many of these are solo home runs. They do not have the O'neil types who seem to get big two out hits or doubles and help manufacture runs. Swisher is a prime example of the new HR type yankee player.

2) Starting pitching. The starting pitching was expected to be a strong part of the team but has been fair at best. I would probably say the most consistant starter has been Pettite. Bernett has been bellow AVG and Sabathia not as good as thought although we still needed him and I would have given him whatever he wanted to come to NY. Wang, Joba have been just plain bad. With the money spent the rotation should be much better.

3) Bullpen. I would rate it an F. Rivera is older and there is nobody else.

4) Age. Everyone is old and showing it. Passada can hit in streaks but cant catch. Matsui, Damon, Swisher can't play outfield. Rivera Jeter are older and have lost a step.

5) Parts do not fit. Probably the biggest problem. To look at a team whos parts fit well you can look at the Redsox. The Yankees have good parts but they do not fit together. They have at least four DH's (Damon, Matsui, Swisher, Passada), who kill them on defense. They have stars but no table setters. No role players.

In general I would agree that at this point with the money spent the Yankees should be a better team. I would say they MUST either this year or more probably next (with Damon, Matsui most likely gone), get more athletic and younger. Also much better decisions have to be made as far as the rotation. I would have signed Sabathia but not sure about Burnett.

whitesoxfan83
06-24-2009, 02:03 AM
If the Yanks aren't in 1st then it's funny b/c of their salary. If they are in 1st, then well they have a big salary so that's why.

This pretty much sums it up.

Perfectly Put...

The Yanks have hit a little bit of a snag here, thats what we should be talking about, not the damn salary...

Driven
06-24-2009, 02:05 AM
I would probably say the most consistant starter has been Pettite.

Words cannot describe how God damn awful of a season pettite is having.

detroitsports22
06-24-2009, 02:05 AM
I don't think anyone else in the east can beat them out for the WC this season........