PDA

View Full Version : Are the San Antonio Spurs once again title contenders

nick bush
06-23-2009, 11:58 PM
after the trade Richard Jefferson to the San Antonio Spurs for Bruce Bowen Kurt Thomas and Fabricio Oberto. that give them more scoring power and makes them younger and stronger and gives them space for free agents.:clap:

29$JerZ
06-24-2009, 12:00 AM
They still need to sign a big with the MLE.

If they got Antonio or Rasheed then I would consider them favorites, but as long as your in the west nothing is set in stone.

ROY 2 MVP Braun
06-24-2009, 12:16 AM
they are not going to be able to compete with the lakers
they deff need some size unless they plan on out scoreing everyone and i dont think they can pull that off eather

Bucks_Packers
06-24-2009, 12:34 AM
You gained a great player with RJ, but I think you will need to add more size to contend in the west. If they can draft a gem then I think they can dominate alot of weaker teams.

dibacco59
06-24-2009, 12:38 AM
1)Tony Parker
2)Roger Mason
3)Richard Jefferson
4)Tim Duncan
5)Matt Bonner

6th and 7th men = Drew Gooden and healthy Ginobili

smells like a ring to me

still1ballin
06-24-2009, 12:39 AM
I don't think they are better then Denver right now.

marlinsfan24
06-24-2009, 12:42 AM
Yes they are. On paper at least.

dre1990
06-24-2009, 12:44 AM

If they got Antonio or Rasheed then I would consider them favorites, but as long as your in the west nothing is set in stone.

something tells me that the bucks will cut Kurt, and he'll just resign with the spurs

cmellofan15
06-24-2009, 12:44 AM
Yes they are. On paper at least.

How is that?

BenFrank
06-24-2009, 12:53 AM
If thay sign Rasheed, I would put them in the contenders list

marlinsfan24
06-24-2009, 12:58 AM
How is that?

4 all-stars, 2 good young players in Mason Jr and Hill. On paper that's a good team. But can they stay healthy?

Fireworld
06-24-2009, 01:25 AM
I think so.. Top 5 in the west for sure.

Lakersfan2483
06-24-2009, 01:28 AM
With a healthy Ginobli, they definitely are title contenders.

shep33
06-24-2009, 01:37 AM
No. Lakers, Nuggets, Jazz(healthy), Rockets (healthy), are all still better in my opinion. They need a big to be contenders (i.e. Sheed). Even with Sheed I don't know, but Duncan, and Ginobili are only getting older. At best they're 3rd best in the West, behind LA and DEN.

juggla53
06-24-2009, 02:01 AM
If they can pick up a few veteren bigs (which shouldnt be to hard) they are deffinatley right up there with anyone in the west and personally i think they're better then denver with a healthy ginobli

asomen
06-24-2009, 02:20 AM
You guys think with the addition of Richard Jefferson they are a top 5 team in the West?

I think people seem to forget they were the 3 seed in the Western Conference last year. Am I missing something....oh yeah. Ginobli played less than 1/2 the year and Parker and Duncan both missed a handful of games.

So now that the Spurs are healthy AND they added an all star caliber forward...they are now a top 5 team? But they aren't above teams like Houston and Portland and Denver and Utah. They will have to battle those teams to make the top 5 in their conference. Makes sense i guess.

NJrockPD
06-24-2009, 02:41 AM
1)Tony Parker
2)Roger Mason
3)Richard Jefferson
4)Tim Duncan
5)Matt Bonner

6th and 7th men = Drew Gooden and healthy Ginobili

smells like a ring to me

That is making it smell a little worse.

Living Legend
06-24-2009, 02:53 AM
No they aren't contenders.

They gave up a lot of experience and depth in order to get Jeffereson. It's not like this is a huge 1 sided trade.

Manu would have to have a huge comeback and they would have to add a couple more players in order to be contenders.

Chronz
06-24-2009, 03:08 AM
You must be an old team when trading for a guy about to hit 30 is considered young.

DocJayzSpikx
06-24-2009, 03:08 AM
That is making it smell a little worse.

I duno the red rocket doesnt sound THAT bad, they can find someone better of course but if not i dont think Matt wouldnt be good enough

DitchDat
06-24-2009, 03:22 AM
Why would the Bucks only give Jefferson/Redd one year make it happen? Redd was injured for crying out loud.

The Spurs are an instant contender now. If the have Ginobili coming off the bench, and Roger Mason hitting shots like he was last year, they could go after that last ring for Duncan.

Trouble87
06-24-2009, 03:49 AM
NOPE

they need a scoring big man who can be at least decent defensively

TRF929
06-24-2009, 04:19 AM
what makes you think they need a scoring big man? im sure parker, manu, duncan, jefferson, and mason can score enough. they need a big man that can defend, after all thats how the spurs won in the beginning
we have a couple big men in developing league that we'll try out and that we've seen here and there but im hoping on Sheed coming to town
Parker
Mason
Jefferson
Duncan
Sheed
that would be cool
or Gooden PF
Duncan C
isnt that bad

JayW_1023
06-24-2009, 04:26 AM
We always were, the thing that killed us the past two seasons was health. Remember, we became the third seed last season with Duncan, Parker and Manu all missing significant time.

This year we are seriously gonna challenge the Lakers. If the Lakers plan to win back to back, they are going to have to earn it, big time...because the West has just become even tougher.

Vinny642
06-24-2009, 05:50 AM
omg great move yea they r going to be SCARY!! should be good next year

MickeyMgl
06-24-2009, 06:07 AM
after the trade Richard Jefferson to the San Antonio Spurs for Bruce Bowen Kurt Thomas and Fabricio Oberto. that give them more scoring power and makes them younger and stronger and gives them space for free agents.:clap:

They are STILL title contenders, and they are STILL more likely to finish behind the Lakers.

Tom81
06-24-2009, 06:37 AM
Are the San Antonio Spurs once again title contenders?
Like always

asandhu23
06-24-2009, 06:51 AM
Like always

bleh. its only always if you were born in the last decade.

king4day
06-24-2009, 09:08 AM
If they sign Sheed and a backup big, then yea, they are back in it. Just have to stay healthy.

Wilson
06-24-2009, 09:41 AM

I wouldn't call them the favourites, but I definately wouldn't be suprised to see them win. Rasheed would be a great pick up for them.

BoltLakerPadre
06-24-2009, 10:01 AM
I don't think they are better then Denver right now.

Agreed. They got RJ, that's good for offense. But they lost D, and lost an energy big man. It sounds interesting, but by no means do I think this makes them the favorites, and I still put Denver ahead of them. They are now about even with a healthy Rockets.

Also, who is going to be the offensive focal point? RJ needs the ball to be effective, so does Parker, and Duncan needs his touches, and in the Spurs slow pace, it's just not going to be realistic.

JayW_1023
06-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Also, who is going to be the offensive focal point? RJ needs the ball to be effective, so does Parker, and Duncan needs his touches, and in the Spurs slow pace, it's just not going to be realistic.

Pop isn't one of those coaches that draws up alot of ISOs...you know as a Laker fan you have seen plenty of Pops teams...and they all move and share the ball really well.

We don't play alot on one on one situations...we play more team oriented, with good ball movement and taking advantage of opposing help defenses. I'm not worried at all about 'focal points' because we don't have players that really DEMAND touches.

lakersfan211
06-24-2009, 07:49 PM
spurs will get ran out of the building by us and i dont think there better then denver .

joechoe
06-24-2009, 07:58 PM
like always, people are underestimating richard jefferson... and for some odd reason, underestimating the spurs :eyebrow:

This was a fleecing by the spurs. They literally gave away nothing for Jefferson because miluakee's buying out all of those contracts sans kurt thomas.

tony parker, healthy manu, richard jefferson, duncan, mason, hill, and potential free agent big men definitely put them over the top. There's no way that they aren't the 2nd best team in the west if healthy.

loufor2
06-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Ofcourse...you could say they were contenders this year, although there chances didn't look great w/o Manu.

Penetra8r
06-24-2009, 08:39 PM
They have a great coach... and are a player or two away from giving us a run for the money

dtmagnet
06-24-2009, 08:44 PM
I do think the Spurs have become a better team, and if they are fully healthy I don't see why they can't make a serious go at it.

Manos
06-24-2009, 08:52 PM

Yes, they just need to get healthy.

Kabowdos
06-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Definitely.

smith&wesson
06-24-2009, 09:33 PM
RJ is known to disapear if he is not the FIRST option on the floor.
if you recall, in jersey before carter came along. RJ was 3rd in scoring for the leauge.
soo as carter came he disapeared.
he then went to the bucks and did nothing!! even though red was injured.
I wonder if RJ can do much else other then maybe fill in a finley role.

MrBloop
06-24-2009, 09:34 PM
Agreed. They got RJ, that's good for offense. But they lost D, and lost an energy big man. It sounds interesting, but by no means do I think this makes them the favorites, and I still put Denver ahead of them. They are now about even with a healthy Rockets.

RJ is a pretty good defender.

JordansBulls
06-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Spurs will contend as long as they have Duncan, Parker and Manu around.

Jack Daniels
06-25-2009, 02:23 PM
spurs will get ran out of the building by us and i dont think there better then denver .

Please do not say us, "us" is a term reserved for real Laker Fans. See Below... and it is obvious you are not one.

S-Dot
06-25-2009, 02:24 PM
They definitely will CONTEND

mrblisterdundee
06-25-2009, 04:05 PM
The Richard Jefferson trade shows that the Spurs have not given up on the threesome of Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobili. They have a massive amount of offensive potential with the addition of Jefferson, and still have the defensive mindset even without Bowen. Tim Duncan can still get a consistent 20 and 10, and Tony Parker is still a stud. If Ginobili is healthy (along with the rest of the team) do the Spurs have a chance of winning in the west?

MrBloop
06-25-2009, 04:20 PM
The whole key is a healthy Duncan come playoff time, its really not about Ginobili as much as every1 thinks it is. Duncan was half the player he is in last seasons playoffs.

IBleedPurple
06-25-2009, 04:26 PM
If Ginobli continues to run into players and flop, they can always keep a game close.

curtie74
06-25-2009, 04:34 PM
If they can pick up a few veteren bigs (which shouldnt be to hard) they are deffinatley right up there with anyone in the west and personally i think they're better then denver with a healthy ginobli

they better then denver but i think da spurs shud go after a young big 4 duncan 2 mentor

Killadelphian13
06-25-2009, 04:41 PM
I voted yes just because I think a healthy Spurs team could always contend for a title with Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili, their chemistry is great, kind of like the Pistons until Joe Dumars ate his ****** pills and traded Billups for Iverson. However, this isn't to say I think they'll win, I'm not even sure I see them winning a playoff series next year just because of how competitive the Western Conference is. They could compete to go to the Western Conference Finals for sure though, as could Denver, Houston, or New Orleans. Then they would get swept by the Lakers.