PDA

View Full Version : Policy of Players Returning Post Trade is Stupid

Lo Porto
06-23-2009, 04:01 PM
The Spurs just pulled off a fantastic trade of Oberto, Bowen and Kurt Thomas for Jefferson. The stupid part of this trade is that it wasn't a trade. The Spurs will start the season with Bowen and Oberto still on the roster. Speculation is that the Bucks will buy out both Oberto and Bowen in order to save money. Both of those guys are expected to go back to SA.

The fact that those guys can go right back is absolutely stupid. The Collective Bargaining Agreement talks about guaranteed contracts, but it still let's this garbage happen. This wasn't a baskeball trade. It was a money trade. Why not just turn into European soccer and just do transfer fees? If a player gets traded away especially because of money, they shouldn't be allowed to return to the team that traded them. What a joke...

Gorgon2k
06-23-2009, 04:03 PM
The Spurs just pulled off a fantastic trade of Oberto, Bowen and Kurt Thomas for Jefferson. The stupid part of this trade is that it wasn't a trade. The Spurs will start the season with Bowen and Oberto still on the roster. Speculation is that the Bucks will buy out both Oberto and Bowen in order to save money. Both of those guys are expected to go back to SA.

The fact that those guys can go right back is absolutely stupid. The Collective Bargaining Agreement talks about guaranteed contracts, but it still let's this garbage happen. This wasn't a baskeball trade. It was a money trade. Why not just turn into European soccer and just do transfer fees? If a player gets traded away especially because of money, they shouldn't be allowed to return to the team that traded them. What a joke...

interesting, I didn't realize this.. and I agree.. what other examples were there of this happening?

rabzouz 96
06-23-2009, 04:05 PM
interesting, I didn't realize this.. and I agree.. what other examples were there of this happening?

there were some, gary payton, i think barry went back to the spurs after being traded, antonio mcdyess and some more

asomen
06-23-2009, 04:07 PM
It's a loophole in the league that could be fixed....Spurs did this coincidentally in the Kurt Thomas trade to get him. Brent Barry was traded and came back a month later after being released.

abe_froman
06-23-2009, 04:07 PM
i dont see why its bad

Lo Porto
06-23-2009, 04:13 PM
I don't like it because it defeats the purpose of the league and contracts. So you trade away a guy just to satisfy some silly trade quota and then he comes back. Not only does the player come back, but he comes back at the league minimum. So the Spurs trade away Bowen at $4 million a year and get to re-sign him for less than a $1 million? Also, the NBA doesn't have waivers. So it's not like some other team gets to gobble him up if the Bucks drop him. He gets to negotiate where he wants to go.

How does that all make sense? It's all a big glitch...

rabzouz 96
06-23-2009, 04:15 PM
It's a loophole in the league that could be fixed....Spurs did this coincidentally in the Kurt Thomas trade to get him. Brent Barry was traded and came back a month later after being released.

it was already fixed 2 or 3 years ago, it was when gary payton was on the celtice and was traded just in order to be cut and go back, so they made a rule that you have to wait 3 months after being released to sign wit your old team. bad fix.

allvalleychamp
06-23-2009, 04:17 PM
i think the problem is forcing teams to take back within 15% of what they trade, why not let salary dump trades...with the salary cap this would greatly help teams get more competitive much sooner

Joshtd1
06-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Its 30 days they have to wait, not 3 months.

sep11ie
06-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Then it should be 3 months

Gorgon2k
06-23-2009, 04:21 PM
I think there should be a rule that says "if your traded then bought out, the team that picks you up has to pay back the "buyout" and retain you at your existing contract for that year" that would probably end all of this.

JordansBulls
06-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Damn if this is true the Spurs will be deep as hell.

rabzouz 96
06-23-2009, 04:24 PM

lulz i just remembered the 3 in it.

sp1derm00
06-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Wow. Amazing move by the Spurs then...

I can only imagine the kind of the team they're gonna be with RJ.

Lo Porto
06-23-2009, 04:35 PM
I think there should be a rule that says "if your traded then bought out, the team that picks you up has to pay back the "buyout" and retain you at your existing contract for that year" that would probably end all of this.

That's not a bad idea. For me, the NBA should do that or just simply state that "a team cannot re-acquire a player they traded away until after the next season". If a team can't trade a restricted free agent for a year after they match on a deal, why can a team re-acquire a player they dumped?

CityofTreez
06-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Didn't this situation happen already w/ Devean George & Jerry Stackhouse when they were traded for Jason Kidd a year ago?

It is stupid, I won't disagree to that!

azkarraga
06-23-2009, 05:00 PM
spurs are gonna be nasty! sorry cavs, but you're just one year away from not winning it all and, therefore, loosing LBJ

bleedprple&gold
06-23-2009, 05:03 PM

It makes no difference in the offseason!!

Kabowdos
06-23-2009, 05:45 PM
It is messed up. The Spurs are the Kings at this. The league needs to change it.

IndyRealist
06-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Some teams are just going to want to dump salary. No one complained that the Clippers were able to take Marcus Camby for nothing (ok, a few people complained). It's basically the same thing. They should do away with salary matching and change the luxury tax to a 3x penalty instead of 2x. If a team wants to run a $100M salary, let them. Or drop the luxury tax and just set a hard cap.

Chronz
06-23-2009, 06:24 PM
I like the fact that teams can get better without losing anything, if the opposite team is just trying to save money then whats the problem?

bleedprple&gold
06-23-2009, 06:31 PM
I'm not sure what it would take to change it, but you know the player's union will be against it. The way it is now players can get traded and cut and still get paid on there old contract plus they get to sign a new contract and will usually end up making more money. Plus they get to come back to an improved team. It's a win-win for the players and teams involved, if the competing teams that may have a problem with it.

Bausman
06-23-2009, 06:41 PM
LOL i was just about to start this same thread... it makes the league look like a joke because back when there was talks of kidd going to dallas from NJ stackhouse said he wasnt gunna leave the mavs just have a 30 day vacation and he ended up getting fined for that. Then they ended up not using him as part of the deal.

So really the league is saying you can do it you just cant talk about it... ********.

superkegger
06-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Bowen played seldom last year, as did thomas. With RJ there, bowen will play even less. Who cares.

CuseDude87
06-23-2009, 08:24 PM
LOL i was just about to start this same thread... it makes the league look like a joke because back when there was talks of kidd going to dallas from NJ stackhouse said he wasnt gunna leave the mavs just have a 30 day vacation and he ended up getting fined for that. Then they ended up not using him as part of the deal.

So really the league is saying you can do it you just cant talk about it... ********.

Hah I remember that. The NBA has many stupid rules.

king4day
06-24-2009, 01:42 AM
Then it should be 3 months

I think it should be one full season after the trade.
If it's before the season, than maybe go a full half season.
If it's during the season, then they can't return until after the year i over.

This way it makes these trades more meaningful.

CuseDude87
06-24-2009, 01:24 PM
I think it should be one full season after the trade.
If it's before the season, than maybe go a full half season.
If it's during the season, then they can't return until after the year i over.

This way it makes these trades more meaningful.

That's a good solution. You would still see salary dumps, but they wouldn't be with players the team wanted to keep. Or, at least, it would make teams more cautious when deciding who to trade.