View Full Version : Votto to be activated Tuesday

06-23-2009, 11:21 AM
CINCINNATI -- It appears that Reds first baseman Joey Votto is ready to return.

MLB.com learned that Votto was on the Reds' Monday charter flight to Toronto, where the Reds will open a three-game series on Tuesday vs. the Blue Jays.

Votto played in three rehabilitation assignment games with Class A clubs in Sarasota and Dayton and one intrasquad scrimmage before it was decided to bring him back. He was 3-for-9 in his three games with a home run.

An official roster move to activate Votto will likely be announced on Tuesday


06-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Awesome news to start the day Welcome back JOEY

06-23-2009, 01:31 PM

06-23-2009, 01:50 PM
It's too bad he needed to miss that time, he was on such a tear when he began to sit. Hopefully he can pick up right where he left off.

06-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I hope for his sake (and my fantasy team's) that he's able to pick up where he left off.

Sounds like he was going through some tough times . . .

06-23-2009, 04:53 PM
What happened with him? I think I remember that last year he had to take some time off because, I think, his dad died? Did something else happen this time, or was it the anniversary of his dad's death, or something else?

06-23-2009, 04:55 PM
What happened with him? I think I remember that last year he had to take some time off because, I think, his dad died? Did something else happen this time, or was it the anniversary of his dad's death, or something else?


he had "stress related issues" that was somehow connected to his ear infection. thats all they will say. Dusty wont even tell the other players whats wrong.

06-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Here’s Joey Votto’s word-for-word explanation of how he ended up on the disabled lsit:

“As some of you know, my father passed away last August. The first day back I kind of put that all on the back burner and just played baseball all the way to the end of September. I don’t want to use the word suppress because he was in my thoughts and I was dealing with it on a daily basis. But, as powerful a moment that is to lose your father so young, in a way I did suppress it. From August to the beginning of spring training, I was pretty severely depressed. I was dealing with the anxiety of grief and sadness and fear. Every emotion you can imagine that everyone goes through.

“I had a really difficult time with it. I was by myself down in Florida. I just was really looking forward to baseball. When baseball started up in February, I kind of did the same thing I did last August and threw it all on the side, threw all my emotions on the back burner and played baseball.

“I got sick in May. I had the upper respiratory thing and the ear infection. It was taking the time away from baseball and recovering from being sick when for the first time all emotions that had been pushing to the side that I had been dealing with and struggling with in the winter hit me. They hit me a hundred times more than I had been dealing with.

“I was taken out of three separate games. The first game it was a combination of me being ill. But I could tell there was something going on. I couldn’t recover. I had this feeling of anxiety. I had this feeling in my chest. The second time I came out in San Diego, it was similar. But I was healthy and I felt like I could’ve played.

“The third time was in Milwaukee, and I was totally overwhelmed.

“I spoke to some doctors. They came to the conclusion I was dealing with obviously being depressed and anxiety and panic attacks. They were overwhelming to the point where I had to go to the hospital on two separate occasions. Once in San Diego and once – nobody had been told about – but I went to the hospital once in Cincinnati when the team was on the road.

“It was a very, very scary and crazy night. I had to call 911 at 3 or 4 in the morning. It was probably the scariest moment I ever dealt with in my life. I went to the hospital that night.

“The days I was taken off the field were little, miniature versions of what I was dealing with by myself. Ever since I’ve been on the DL and even the little bit before the DL, I’ve been really struggling with this in my private life. I’d go on the field and try to do my best and play well. I had my spurts when I’d play well. But going out on the field . . . I couldn’t do it anymore because I was so overwhelmed physically by the stuff I was dealing with off the field.

“It finally seeped its way into the game. I just had to put an end to it. I really couldn’t be out there. It’s difficult to explain what I was going through. I couldn’t do it. I physically couldn’t do my job. That’s what I’ve gone through.

“I’ve been talking and seeing some doctors. They’ve been a great help. And speaking to people in general – I spoke to my team last week – and letting people know what I’ve been dealing with and how difficult this grieving process has been. My father was young, and I’m a young man. I really wish I hadn’t lost my father so young. I’m the oldest brother. I feel like I’m responsible for my family. Maybe I have a proclivity for depression or whatever it is.

“But I was dealing with some pretty abnormal circumstances – the combination of being a major league ballplayer, a young ballplayer and also dealing with my father and my family.”

06-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Shared my thoughts in main forum, but you guys deserve the respect here too.

I find his words chilling and sincere.

I think he will have a lot of support moving forward and I hope he gets respect from the fans (of other teams).