PDA

View Full Version : Jarrett Jack or TJ Ford...who should the Pacers start?

JayW_1023
06-23-2009, 06:39 AM
TJ Ford first got ousted in Toronto with minutes as the Raps kept Jose Calderon...now he has to fight for minutes with Jarrett Jack.

Ford is an erratic shooter, good dribble penetrator, great passer, deceptively good rebounder, mediocre defender, nimble and fast.

Jack is a tough physical defender, has great strength but isn't as quick as Ford, he scores in the clutch and is a better outside shooter, but isn't a reliable passer as Ford.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses... but which of the two PG's would you start?

Trouble87
06-23-2009, 07:10 AM
Ford is a better passer... early in a game you need a PG who gets teammates involved and can distribute quality passes at will

Jack is a better late game/end of the quarter scorer.... much more effective coming off the bench to give you quality jumpers and playing hard D

Ford starts

CELTICS4LYFE
06-23-2009, 08:20 AM
Ford is a better passer... early in a game you need a PG who gets teammates involved and can distribute quality passes at will

Jack is a better late game/end of the quarter scorer.... much more effective coming off the bench to give you quality jumpers and playing hard D

Ford starts

x2

stealth33
06-23-2009, 08:56 AM
Truth is one of these guys is either likely going to be let go or traded, and as a Pacer fan I hope it's Ford who gets traded. So basically this might be a moot discussion. We seem determined to go PG in this draft and try to move one of these guys which to me says there might be more conflict between Ford and the team than it seems.

Jack actually didn't live up to the expectations defensively as he made a lot of mistakes throughout the year...and on paper Ford looks like a superior player. However, Jack seems to have more of that "zone" than Ford does. When the guy is on, he is on. But beyond that, I like Jack's intangibles a lot. The pg spot might be the most important spot for leadership and charisma and Jack has that. Ford has been in several battles for starting spots and he has seemed to have some kind of issue or complaint in every one of those....which makes him come off as a little whiny. Ford for the most part distributes well be he definitely has tendencies to put up stupid shots and not explore other options...not a good idea when you're playing next to some talented offensive players like Danny Granger.

DQL
06-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Jack starts. Ford's explosiveness will be useful off the bench

1 question: what are the Pacers going to do with Tinsley?

stealth33
06-23-2009, 09:10 AM
1 question: what are the Pacers going to do with Tinsley?

Definitely not going to play him. Probably won't find anyone to trade him to. Unless there's some kind of arbitration, he's going to rot on the roster till he expires.

azkarraga
06-23-2009, 09:18 AM
jack. ford is more useful coming out of the bench. he's good to change the tempo.

Brooklyn Mets
06-23-2009, 09:24 AM

Ford starts

x3

unless the pacers are playing against the knicks because jack shoots lights out in the garden for some reason..

JayW_1023
06-23-2009, 09:27 AM
I pick Jack because he plays more composed. Even if he is struggling offensively he can still make his impact on the game on the defensive end.

Ford on the other hand, if he struggles with his shot he tends to take himself out of the game by forcing passes and drives, often resulting in getting his team out of synch.

For me it's simple math:

Ford is strictly a creative offensive player...but defensively he is a liability.

Jack on the other hand, plays on both ends of the floor. You will always get something out of him.

So that justifies my choice of Jarrett Jack starting. Ford is more creative, but Jack is the steadier of the two.,

Raps18-19 Champ
06-23-2009, 09:30 AM
Jarrett Jack is a backup at best.

Ford can be good if he passed the ball more, and drive to the basket instead of shooting so much.

DQL
06-23-2009, 09:44 AM
Definitely not going to play him. Probably won't find anyone to trade him to. Unless there's some kind of arbitration, he's going to rot on the roster till he expires.

Damn that sucks. At least Eddie Curry was played some minutes. Why not trade them for each other? Pacers get a post scorer they dont have and Knicks cut some mil in 2010 payroll

GCOOKIE7
06-23-2009, 10:21 AM
Frankly I dun cur

op12
06-23-2009, 12:16 PM
jack is better all around. ford is a better passer. jack also isnt a liability on d or because of size. go with jack.

xDjEpYOnx
06-24-2009, 07:34 PM
I would have to go with TJ even with his liability on defense, Pacers offense requires someone who can handle the ball and get it moving to get open shots for everyone. While I agree that Jack does have the ability to D up, unless he is in the zone consistently, its not worth to have him start at the expense of TJ who could get other players games going with his penetration and passing. With shooters like Granger, Dunleavy(hope he can stay healthy), and Murphy, the Pacers need someone to give those guys the ball and create open looks for them, TJ can do that for them more consistently than JJ.

shonk688
06-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Truth is one of these guys is either likely going to be let go or traded, and as a Pacer fan I hope it's Ford who gets traded. So basically this might be a moot discussion. We seem determined to go PG in this draft and try to move one of these guys which to me says there might be more conflict between Ford and the team than it seems.

Jack actually didn't live up to the expectations defensively as he made a lot of mistakes throughout the year...and on paper Ford looks like a superior player. However, Jack seems to have more of that "zone" than Ford does. When the guy is on, he is on. But beyond that, I like Jack's intangibles a lot. The pg spot might be the most important spot for leadership and charisma and Jack has that. Ford has been in several battles for starting spots and he has seemed to have some kind of issue or complaint in every one of those....which makes him come off as a little whiny. Ford for the most part distributes well be he definitely has tendencies to put up stupid shots and not explore other options...not a good idea when you're playing next to some talented offensive players like Danny Granger.
:nod:

greg_ory_2005
06-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Ford didn't like coming off the bench in Toronto, so doubt he wants to do it with the Pacers.

loufor2
06-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Jarret Jack is Dirty. They are both good. If the pacers feel that Ford is better they won't match any offer made to restricted free agent Jarret Jack. As simple as that... I would love for the Sixers to sign Jack. He can be a good player in this league.

dRa1niNg_ 3s
06-24-2009, 07:55 PM
How about this trade,

Rockets Send: Carl Landry, Aaron Brooks.
Rockets Receive: Jarret Jack, Jeff Foster.

Pacers Send: Jarret Jack, Jeff Foster.
Pacers Receive: Carl Landry, Aaron Brooks.

Then they can just turned around and draft a SG. with size Evans maybe??

PlayBRush2008
06-24-2009, 10:46 PM
i say jack bc he can start now and wont have a temper tantrum when we tell him that its time that its time for wat evr pg we drafted to start. plus ford is more of "valueable" trading piece sine he isnt the one thats about to get a new contract.

IndyRealist
06-24-2009, 11:43 PM
TJ Ford is an undersized SG of the Allen Iverson mould. Of his "superior" passing, I haven't seen it in a game. He dribbles into traffic and generally makes bad choices. Ford does have very quick hands and is terrific double teaming post players, but does not have lateral quickness despite his amazing speed. In a flat out run dribbling the ball I'm not sure I've seen anyone faster.

Jack is turnover prone. Lets leave it at that. Jack starts for two reasons.

1) The coaching staff loves him, and
2) The Pacers are shopping TJ Ford. As much as I hate twitter, Ford has made comments about it. http://twitter.com/tj_ford

SoxBucsFan
06-25-2009, 12:10 AM
trade thier pick and tj ford back to milwaukee for their pick and take jonny flynn!