PDA

View Full Version : Kings Concerned With Rubio's Leadership

FaceDown91
06-23-2009, 04:28 AM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineStories.asp?lc=NBA&c=1&TEAM_ID=&PLAYER_ID=&hd=20090622#STORY_19726

As messy as the rest of the top five sounds, Sacramento’s situation might be the most confusing. It’s looking more and more clear that the Kings are not nearly as enamored with Ricky Rubio as they once were, for a number of reasons. The official party line is that Sacramento is concerned that Rubio will struggle to assert his leadership ability on the group of players they currently have in place, due to the fact that he’s only 18 years old and not a native English speaker. One of the biggest issues Sacramento had last year was with the culture of their team lockerroom. On top of that, the Kings are worried that will Rubio will have a huge target on his chest coming into the NBA, and that other players will “try to go at him every single night.”

If this is true and the kings decide not to take rubio if he is available, is it possible that he could fall as low as the 7th or 8th pick?

sacgiants1213
06-23-2009, 04:48 AM
Kings would be absolutely ******** to pass up on Rubio

Duncan = Donkey
06-23-2009, 04:58 AM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineStories.asp?lc=NBA&c=1&TEAM_ID=&PLAYER_ID=&hd=20090622#STORY_19726

If this is true and the kings decide not to take rubio if he is available, is it possible that he could fall as low as the 7th or 8th pick?

no.

TheDiggler
06-23-2009, 05:10 AM
Kings would be absolutely ******** to pass up on Rubio

No, not really. Kings do the right thing if they don't pick him (if they won't trade him immedeatly).

Beno7500
06-23-2009, 05:10 AM
Geoff is brilliant. He knows what he's doing... Ya catch my drift?

S.J.Basketball
06-23-2009, 05:28 AM
Of course Rubio doesn't have leadership abilities. He's an 18 year old kid leaving home and going to another country to play the toughest competition in basketball. Not to mention I think his English sucks, but that'll improve. Remember Yao? Just give the kid some damn time. He has the ability to be a great player, but don't expect someone to be a leader on the team right from the get go. Especially from someone who's balls just dropped.

ZebraCity916
06-23-2009, 05:51 AM
No, not really. Kings do the right thing if they don't pick him (if they won't trade him immedeatly).

I think it would be the RIGHT thing if they pick him. I think he's the best PG in the draft.

If he's the wrong pick then who's the right one????

Mckphins
06-23-2009, 05:58 AM
I doubt he even falls to the kings, i hope he does

JayW_1023
06-23-2009, 06:01 AM
Again Rubio doesn't fit the profile of a hip-hop hoops icon, so he will always be labeled soft.

ZebraCity916
06-23-2009, 06:28 AM
Again Rubio doesn't fit the profile of a hip-hop hoops icon, so he will always be labeled soft.

What are you trying to say that he needs to pull a Ron Artest to prove that he's a tough PG??

I wouldn't label Steve Nash or Kirk Hinrich soft but they don't fit the Hip-Hop hoops icon profile.

Who cares what people label him as anyways, he'll let his stats do the talking.

JayW_1023
06-23-2009, 06:31 AM
What are you trying to say that he needs to pull a Ron Artest to prove that he's a tough PG??

I wouldn't label Steve Nash or Kirk Hinrich soft but they don't fit the Hip-Hop hoops icon profile.

Who cares what people label him as anyways, he'll let his stats do the talking.

His stats won't do the talking...and that is what could make Rubio potentially a special player. He isn't a guy who plays for stats, he just plays. But in a league where people seem to think having alot of tattoo's and chest pumping makes you tough, he will always be labeled soft because he doesn't fit that gangsta profile. And that's indeed ridiculous really.

As for the Kings, why should they care about Rubio's leadership now? They are rebuilding for crying out loud. Give the kid some burn and make him earn his stripes. He can't be worse than Beno Udrih, to be honest.

Hellcrooner
06-23-2009, 06:39 AM
of course everybody would try to go on him.

Didnt everybody try to go for Lebron? or for Durant? or for Rose? etc etc.

mmm looks like Kings trying to ENSURE he falls there by badmouthing him.

ZebraCity916
06-23-2009, 06:40 AM
His stats won't do the talking...and that is what could make Rubio potentially a special player. He isn't a guy who plays for stats, he just plays. But in a league where people seem to think having alot of tattoo's and chest pumping makes you tough, he will always be labeled soft because he doesn't fit that gangsta profile. And that's indeed ridiculous really.

As for the Kings, why should they care about Rubio's leadership now? They are rebuilding for crying out loud. Give the kid some burn and make him earn his stripes. He can't be worse than Beno Udrih, to be honest.

Because they need a leader on the team. Who's the leader on the King's?? Definitely not Beno and it ain't Kevin Martin.

And I ain't sayin' he's gonna play to get good stats cause he is the player to just go out and play. I'm sayin' he's gonna go out and play and the stats he has at the end of the game are gonna be good.

ZebraCity916
06-23-2009, 06:43 AM

Kings didn't write that. Why would any NBA team openly bad mouth a player?? I don't think the Knicks even did that to Starbury.

JayW_1023
06-23-2009, 06:46 AM
Because they need a leader on the team. Who's the leader on the King's?? Definitely not Beno and it ain't Kevin Martin.

And I ain't sayin' he's gonna play to get good stats cause he is the player to just go out and play. I'm sayin' he's gonna go out and play and the stats he has at the end of the game are gonna be good.

I know what you said, and I agree. But I think for Rubio to become a leader you can't be that instantaneously...understanding basketball is beyond language or anything else. Cleveland allowed an 18 year old LeBron James lead the way in his rookie season. Rubio has played professionally since he was 12 years old and has alot more big game experience than LeBron had his age. The key for him to become a leader is to throw him to the lions and give him some burn and see how well he adjusts to the NBA game on the fly. The Kings are gonna be awful anyway next year so there is nothing to lose. Being a leader is impossible for an 18 year old foreigner...but he can't become one if you deny him that opportunity. That's the investment you make with a Top 3 pick. Play him.

Trouble87
06-23-2009, 07:10 AM
I don't think he'll fall out of the top 5

ZebraCity916
06-23-2009, 07:13 AM
I know what you said, and I agree. But I think for Rubio to become a leader you can't be that instantaneously...understanding basketball is beyond language or anything else. Cleveland allowed an 18 year old LeBron James lead the way in his rookie season. Rubio has played professionally since he was 12 years old and has alot more big game experience than LeBron had his age. The key for him to become a leader is to throw him to the lions and give him some burn and see how well he adjusts to the NBA game on the fly. The Kings are gonna be awful anyway next year so there is nothing to lose. Being a leader is impossible for an 18 year old foreigner...but he can't become one if you deny him that opportunity. That's the investment you make with a Top 3 pick. Play him.

There is something to lose. This is the highest draft pick the King's have had in 18 years. Who knows when they'll have a draft pick this high again. It's not like the King's are gonna have the same pick next year. The only reason they had such a bad record this year was because of injury. Kevin Martin was out for 31 games last season not to mention other players got injured as well. And on top of that they fired their coach and had a interim coach for half the year.

The King's can't and won't have as bad of a record as last year as long as the players stay healthy. New coach, new players comin' in and helpin' out and you never know with this offseason you might see the King's make some big trades like they have the past 2 seasons or get somebody in the free agency. Although, I doubt that they will sign anybody in FA.

Catfish1314
06-23-2009, 11:06 AM
I have a feeling Geoff Petrie likes Rubio a lot more than he's letting on. This is just how he works.

Faneik
06-23-2009, 11:14 AM

No he hasn't.

Rubio debuted in the Spanish ACB League in the 2005-06 season, he was born in 1990.

mzgrizz
06-23-2009, 11:18 AM

Ah ha! Hellcrooner, that would be using a lot of "snake oil" .......seems to be quite a bit of it. The way I figure it, most of the fans,sportscasters,etc.. were very interested in trying to keep Rubio away from the Grizz and therefore are downgrading his value in the process. Now there's talk of downgrading Thabeet as well. Well, we still have #2 and NO ONE can change that. So if we take Thabeet(the shoulder injury no show= his agent being pissed about how Warrick was handled; same agent) I am no longer opposed as I refreshed my memory of how good a prospect he could be. I do believe Rubio should be in a larger market with a heavier continental base than Memphis, but I WANT HIS VALUE. The snake oil is only a ruse by others for us to get less IMO.

lakers4sho
06-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Kings will take him if he's still there. I just don't see them passing up on him, regardless of whatever is said by whoever.

azkarraga
06-23-2009, 11:21 AM
rubio has been the silent leader of his team for about 4 years. i mean, he's got more experience than kidd at his age, and remember how good a leader kidd was from day one.

mzgrizz
06-23-2009, 11:24 AM
I believe the Grizz are in need of a leader as well.......Rudy is not one; OJ not yet;Gasol might be in time; and Conley is a nice guy and a good player but not such a leader IMO.
I dunno.....guess I'm ready for them to pick Rubio and figure it all out later.

Catfish1314
06-23-2009, 11:24 AM
But they did get to see him live. They got his measurements (6-foot-5 in shoes with a 6-foot-7 wingspan). They got to check out his body language and English skills.

-ESPN (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/insider/news/story?page=09DraftBuzz2&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fdraft2009%2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fpage%3d09D raftBuzz2)

Well he may not be the quickest guy in the world but that kind of size for a true point guard is a big plus. His frame suggests he can add a lot more muscle as he grows into his body too.

mzgrizz
06-23-2009, 11:32 AM
^^^^ OK, you convinced me. Memphis will take him and play him and he'll be just fine with the Gasol family(yes, they live in Memphis....Mom&Pop&little brother) ......Marc can give him the big brother thing he will need and he will give us the point guard of the future. Bienvenidas, Ricky!

WSU Tony
06-23-2009, 11:49 AM
The kings are bluffing, they are looking for trade offers. If they TRULY like Flynn, they'll trade down with Minnesota (where Flynn will clearly still be available) and grab an asset like the #18 pick, Mike Miller, or both.

MGB
06-23-2009, 12:10 PM
they're just blowing smoke hoping the teams ahead of them buy some of this and pass on him.

Hellcrooner
06-23-2009, 12:10 PM

wish the could bouthmouth him enough that he landed in the Lakers

:D

lakers4sho
06-23-2009, 12:29 PM

:nod:

:up:

mzgrizz
06-23-2009, 10:48 PM

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA you are one funny dude, Hellcrooner!
You ought to wish the Grizz DO get and keep him........past mistakes, if you know what I mean.

lakers4sho
06-23-2009, 10:58 PM
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA you are one funny dude, Hellcrooner!
You ought to wish the Grizz DO get and keep him........past mistakes, if you know what I mean.

Marc Gasol, Rubio, and fillers for Andrew Bynum, Vujacic, Morrison

/joke :cool:

Kyle N.
06-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Marc Gasol, Rubio, and fillers for Andrew Bynum, Vujacic, Morrison

/joke :cool:

You almost gave Hellcrooner a heart attack. Be more careful with your jokes. :p

dre1990
06-23-2009, 11:48 PM
This is GREAT NEWS for the Wolves, but I still think The Kings end up taking him.

clehmun
06-23-2009, 11:59 PM
ok...... that might be the stupidest assessment of why not to pick a player.
it's pretty much listing 3 reasons why the kings are concerned about picking rubio:

1. he can't speak english
2. he's too young
3. he's good so people are going to go at him

are you serious?! try to come up with better reasons... i don't get why some writers still have jobs.

J$mo0th_3o5
06-24-2009, 12:19 AM
Smokescreen....

Catfish1314
06-24-2009, 12:24 AM
I'm beginning to think he won't even fall to our pick, unforunately, but if he does I can't see us not taking him.

ZebraCity916
06-24-2009, 08:50 PM
If Rubio doesn't fall to us then we'll probly take Evans.