PDA

View Full Version : Is Kris Medlen being misused?

Jon93405
06-23-2009, 02:31 AM
Kris Medlen is 23 years old.

In 8 appearances in AAA this season he posted a 1.19 ERA with 44K's in 38 innings.

After earning 3 starts, Medlen is now in the bullpen given mop up duty, and hasn't pitched in 8 days. Why would a player compared to Roy Oswalt be relegated to this job?

We could easily call up Tony Armas, Vladamir Nunez, Luis Valdez, Juan Perez, Mariano Gomez, Franciscley Bueno, or Todd Redmond to sit in the bullpen and come in when the starter can't make it past the 3rd inning, allowing Kris to return to AAA to gain more innings and experience as a starter.

If Medlen is on the DL and I didn't realize it, please delete this thread. Otherwise, I'd like to know why one of our most advanced pitching prospects is rotting away in the bullpen.

CubbieKid17
06-23-2009, 03:59 AM
Sounds like the Braves are Medlen with this kid's development hahaha...bad joke.

GLASSMAN
06-23-2009, 06:59 AM
Kris Medlen is 23 years old.

In 8 appearances in AAA this season he posted a 1.19 ERA with 44K's in 38 innings.

After earning 3 starts, Medlen is now in the bullpen given mop up duty, and hasn't pitched in 8 days. Why would a player compared to Roy Oswalt be relegated to this job?

We could easily call up Tony Armas, Vladamir Nunez, Luis Valdez, Juan Perez, Mariano Gomez, Franciscley Bueno, or Todd Redmond to sit in the bullpen and come in when the starter can't make it past the 3rd inning, allowing Kris to return to AAA to gain more innings and experience as a starter.

If Medlen is on the DL and I didn't realize it, please delete this thread. Otherwise, I'd like to know why one of our most advanced pitching prospects is rotting away in the bullpen.

It's a crying shame. If nothing else send Bennett packing and at least keep him stretched out mentally by using him in crucial situations. If this kid's talent is wasted someone's head should roll.

Zaunnie
06-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Sounds like the Braves are Medlen with this kid's development hahaha...bad joke.

:laugh2:

TyHill
06-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Maybe hes being kept active in the bullpen cause were trying to covertly deal Vazquez + Francouer for a RF Bat?

nps6724
06-23-2009, 09:08 AM
"Misuse" has been his only use recently.

MrJones
06-23-2009, 09:49 AM
But who else would carry the bubble gum and airheads in the "My Little Pony" backpack ???

rtgthree
06-23-2009, 11:24 AM
Yeah, don't know what the Braves are thinking here. If they want to move Medlen to the bullpen (which I don't), then at least let him play for a team that will find some innings for him.

atl_braves_fan
06-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Maybe hes being kept active in the bullpen cause were trying to covertly deal Vazquez + Francouer for a RF Bat?

I would think it is far more likely that they would be able to find a trade partner for Medlen. Teams that are in contention aren't likely to trade away a good enough bat to justify moving Vazquez and teams that are out of contention aren't looking for a 30 something moderately expensive pitcher with only 1 year left on his contract.

Also, Francoeur likely doesn't have much value these days considering his salary and his lack of production.

Born a Brave
06-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Definitely didn't think about Medlen not getting any innings lately. Should certainly consider moving him back to AAA to get quality work, until September when rosters expand.

Jon93405
06-23-2009, 01:08 PM

Except he's not being kept active... he's just sitting there not pitching. If the plans were to deal a starter for a bat, seems like he would be in AAA starting every 5th day if he was going to be inserted in the rotation.

To me, it' a case of Frank Wren saying, "Here's a nice arm for your bullpen Bobby," and Bobby saying, "Oh, don't you know... I'm gonna throw Moylan and Bennett out there in the 6th/7th inning come hell or high water."

AustinTheGreat
06-23-2009, 01:25 PM
we need to deal a SP for LF or RF and move him back to SP....we could go into next year ...Lowe, Jair, hanson, Medlan, KK...or enter Hudson in there

IndiansFan337
06-23-2009, 02:15 PM
we need to deal a SP for LF or RF and move him back to SP....we could go into next year ...Lowe, Jair, hanson, Medlan, KK...or enter Hudson in there

Isn't Hudson supposed to be back this season, within a few months now??

AustinTheGreat
06-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Isn't Hudson supposed to be back this season, within a few months now??

ya but also braves have an option for him for next year. IMO i really want him back. i liked hudson, he was starting to become our ace before his injury.

flea
06-23-2009, 03:15 PM
It's not a big deal. It seems like people want to baby pitchers more and more every year. He's a top 10 arm in our system and our rotation is full so it makes sense to put him in bullpen since he's already major league ready. It's not like he's going to forget how to pitch, plenty of starters begin their time in the Majors in the bullpen. Joba and Derek Lowe both did it and it hasn't screwed either of their careers just because they didn't make an extra 5 starts at AAA.

nps6724
06-23-2009, 03:23 PM
It's not a big deal. It seems like people want to baby pitchers more and more every year. He's a top 10 arm in our system and our rotation is full so it makes sense to put him in bullpen since he's already major league ready. It's not like he's going to forget how to pitch, plenty of starters begin their time in the Majors in the bullpen. Joba and Derek Lowe both did it and it hasn't screwed either of their careers just because they didn't make an extra 5 starts at AAA.

But both PITCHED out of the pen.

flea
06-23-2009, 03:38 PM
It's not Cox's or Medlen's fault that our rotation is really good top to bottom.

nps6724
06-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Who said it was? He's in the pen and there have been many chances for him to pitch. But Bobby sticks with Moylan and Bennett even when they're off. It doesn't make sense.

BRAVE KID
06-23-2009, 03:58 PM
just wasting talent, that is what it is. It is kind of hard to develop properly or prove yourself if you are not getting any work. As others said, there has been many times where he could of gone in, like for example we had a 5 run lead or a 7 run lead in the 8th or 9th perfect time for him to get some work...cox instead uses his closers. Wren is making the team better with the quality arm, cox just doesn't know how to use it.

rtgthree
06-23-2009, 03:59 PM

If Medlen were actually an asset to the Braves out of the bullpen, I'd have no problem with him starting his career as a reliever. But the only thing he's doing right now is using up sunflower seeds for the ML team. So why waste him there? At least let him do some competitive work somewhere...hell, at least in Gwinnett he might sell an extra couple hundred tickets. He's doing NOTHING for Cox right now, so why not let him go where he can be of use, both to his team and to his own development?

flea
06-23-2009, 04:41 PM
You're right he's not getting work of late but it's not like Cox is over-using his setup men. I'm more stoked about the fact that we have all these opportunities to bring Soriano in to strike out the side as opposed to last summer when it didn't much matter who we threw out there after our starter gave us 3-5 innings of piss-poor work.

Jon93405
06-23-2009, 05:43 PM
You're right he's not getting work of late but it's not like Cox is over-using his setup men. I'm more stoked about the fact that we have all these opportunities to bring Soriano in to strike out the side as opposed to last summer when it didn't much matter who we threw out there after our starter gave us 3-5 innings of piss-poor work.

On the 18th, we had a 7 run lead after 6 innings... Cox goes with Moylan/Soriano/Gonzo.

On the 19th, we had a 5 run lead after 6innings and a 6 run lead in the 9th... Cox goes with Moylan/Soriano/Gonzalez.

On the 20th, we were down by 3 in the 7th, Cox goes with Bennett/O'Flaherty

It's not "babying" a pitcher by sending him to AAA to start. It's MISUSING a pitcher when the arbitration clock is ticking and he's the last guy in the bullpen.

He's obviously not in Cox's plans when we have a small lead... or a large lead... or when we're trailing. So the only time we see Medlen is when the starter goes 2 1/3 and gives up 7ER. He's not helping the team win, he's just saving pen arms in blowouts. Vladamir Nunez or Tony Armas could do that just as easily and don't factor into the future of this team.

Coach100
06-23-2009, 06:04 PM
The Braves clearly have no plan for Medlen. I think someone will be moved anyways with Huddy coming back. I think they are probably exploring options for a trade (maybe Javy) and they are just keeping Medlen around to see MLB hitters instead of AAA ones.

I think ATL is misusing Medlen, but I feel like there has to be something fans don't know. Or a disconnect between Wren and Bobby with Medlen.

Saltyfan
06-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Alot of people are saying JV, but why aren't we saying Lowe also. I mean he could bring in some serious return. I am not saying I would, I am just curious why he isn't an option to move. JV is pitching lights out, even on a bad day. I just dont see why we would get rid of him.

I would love to see Medlen get some work. If he is just going to rot in the pen, send him back to AAA

flea
06-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Lowe costs too much for too long and is too old for more than 3 or 4 teams to be interested in him. Even then they probably won't want to give up very much.

Bravefan29
06-23-2009, 06:37 PM
He pitched pretty well his last start before Hanson was called up, and Kawakami pitches better when he has more rest(eveident in his last start) maybe we should do something drastic like a 6 man rotation, I know it has been talked about before and I really do not want to get shreaded on here for sugesting it but to be honest I do not see the downside, as long as medlen produces that is.

Jon93405
06-24-2009, 02:18 AM
If we trade Lowe, we'll never sign another big name free agent again without a no trade clause.

"Sign a long term deal with Atlanta and they'll ship you out before the deadline."

MrJones
06-24-2009, 10:45 AM
He pitched pretty well his last start before Hanson was called up, and Kawakami pitches better when he has more rest(eveident in his last start) maybe we should do something drastic like a 6 man rotation, I know it has been talked about before and I really do not want to get shreaded on here for sugesting it but to be honest I do not see the downside, as long as medlen produces that is.

I actually started an offseason thread on it, w/ the suggestion that it would help KK, and I was the only guy on that side of the fence. But, it's good to see someone else shares my opinion.

nps6724
06-24-2009, 10:48 AM
With all the pitching we have, a 6-man rotation would be a good idea IMO, but it's too radical for anyone to try. All these managers with few exceptions are as conventional as they can be. The only manager who I think would try a 6-man rotation (if he had the arms) would be LaRussa.

leftie5
06-24-2009, 12:06 PM
I would rather Medlen get some of Bennett's innings, because every time Bennett pitches he makes me nervous. Although his ERA is pretty good at 3.03, opponents are hitting .313 off him and he basically has a 1:1 K/BB ratio (22 K/ 20 BB).

Hopefully Campillo gets his shoulder issues worked out so Medlen can go back to AAA and get some more consistent innings in.

wolfman2
06-24-2009, 02:04 PM
I read this in the AJC, so basically if we ever want to see him pitch again, we need our starters to stop around the 3rd inning:
Medlen sits, waits. …

Entering Tuesday’s game, rookie pitcher Kris Medlen had made only two relief appearances since being bumped from the rotation to the bullpen after a May 31 start.

The right-hander pitched three scoreless innings against Pittsburgh on June 8, and gave up six hits, four runs and five walks in a four-inning stint June 14 at Baltimore. And that was it.

“We haven’t forgotten him,” Cox said.

He said there was nothing wrong with Medlen, and that the right situation to use him just “hasn’t arisen” since Baltimore because Braves starters have been pitching deep into games.

“Our starters are throwing so well,” Cox said. “I can’t wait to get him back in a game, even in a tight game. But nothing’s come up.”

nps6724
06-24-2009, 02:07 PM
So apparently Medlen isn't allowed to pitch just 1 inning.

Bravefan29
06-24-2009, 06:00 PM
Then he should be getting the mop up rolls, like when someone goes 6, and once he gains his confidence he could go into games where we are up by 2 or 3 and I guess see from there, I love Bobby Cox and would never question his tactics but he is using Bennett,Moylan,Sori,Gonzo way to much, but to be honest its worked very well of late so I guss if it ain't broke.........

jklein87
06-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Then he should be getting the mop up rolls, like when someone goes 6, and once he gains his confidence he could go into games where we are up by 2 or 3 and I guess see from there, I love Bobby Cox and would never question his tactics but he is using Bennett,Moylan,Sori,Gonzo way to much, but to be honest its worked very well of late so I guss if it ain't broke.........

Agree that he is definitely using Bennett too much. I'd would much rather see Medlen out there getting the experience b/c he has much more potential than Bennett. Moylan, I think is starting to come around. He has been looking sharp as of late.