PDA

View Full Version : NBA MVPs trend over the decades

JordansBulls
06-22-2009, 05:28 PM
I want to know out of the era of players who were drafted in 00s, who do people think will win an MVP? So far only Lebron has won a MVP this decade when he was drafted. Now just to give you what's a reasonable amount of players that can win an MVP, lets take a look at past decades.

MVPs that were drafted in the 50s are Bob Pettit, Bob Cousy, Bill Russell, and Wilt Chamberlain. They hold a total of 12 MVPs which ranged 13 years, from 1956-1968.

MVPs that were drafted in the 60s are Oscar Robertson, Wes Unseld, Willis Reed and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. They hold a total of 9 MVPs which ranged 17 years, from 1964-1980.

MVPs that were drafted in the 70s are Dave Cowens, Bob McAdoo, Bill Walton, Moses Malone, Julius Erving, Larry Bird, and Magic Johnson. They hold a total of 13 MVPs which ranged 18 years, from 1973-1990.

MVPs that were drafted in the 80s are Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley, Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson, and Karl Malone. They hold a total of 10 MVPs which ranged 12 years, from 1988-1999.

MVPs that were drafted in the 90s are Shaquille O'Neal, Allen Iverson, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki, and Kobe Bryant. SO FAR, they hold a total of 9 MVPs which has ranged 9 years, from 2000-2008. Now realistically, only one player that was drafted in the 90s still has a good chance of winning more MVPs and thats Kobe. And with the way the 00s players have been playing, its unlikely that the 90s era wins more MVPs. There is still a chance, but lets just say they don't win anymore.

So if you look at each decade, they have had 4-7 different MVPs, a total of 9-13 MVPs, and MVP dominance from each era has ranged from 9-18 years.

So for the players that have been drafted this decade, how many different MVPs do you think they're will be and who are they? When will they start winning MVPs, and when will they end?

I would say 5 or 6 - Lebron, Wade, Howard, CP3, Durant. So from 2009-about 2021

Other guys that can win MVP that were drafted this decade are Deron Williams, Brandon Roy, Derrick Rose, OJ Mayo possibly

Raps08-09 Champ
06-22-2009, 05:32 PM
You forgot Kwame in that list.

Kabowdos
06-22-2009, 05:33 PM
Wade

Kobedidit2009
06-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Kobe Bryant is going to win the mvp next year and here is why....The lakers without Andrew Bynum won over 60 games. Not only did they win 60 games they ran threw the playoffs have built confidence,Shannon Brown and Adam Morrison will be even more comfortable with the team,and if Morrison is comfortable he is a threat on this team as well as Shannon. No one can possibly win 60 games and have the talent but say 4 teams which would be Boston,Cleveland,Lakers,& Orlando and chances are Clevelands home record will not be like this year and they will have lost confidence and may even make some trades which will mess with chemistry which leaves Kobe with his 29 ppg as usual and 5 ast 5reb and a 60 plus win team and the momentum of winning his 4th ring. Dwayne Wade has the numbers but Miami is not ready to win over 50 games and the only other way I see someone winning mvp is if a team like oklahoma with 20 wins winds up winning 50 games then Durant or like someone like Oj Mayo can. Lebron will win it and only win it if they out play the lakers record again which is soo unlikely at this point. The Race next year to me seems like One of the wizards because of the 3 headed monster they have and they will win 50 with the new coaching and no injuries and Kobe,and perhaps Nash if the Suns can win 50 games again because they are a good team tehy had one bad season and mixed up coaching situation Nash can put up 20 and 10 anytime. Thankyou

JordansBulls
06-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Kobe Bryant is going to win the mvp next year and here is why....The lakers without Andrew Bynum won over 60 games. Not only did they win 60 games they ran threw the playoffs have built confidence,Shannon Brown and Adam Morrison will be even more comfortable with the team,and if Morrison is comfortable he is a threat on this team as well as Shannon. No one can possibly win 60 games and have the talent but say 4 teams which would be Boston,Cleveland,Lakers,& Orlando and chances are Clevelands home record will not be like this year and they will have lost confidence and may even make some trades which will mess with chemistry which leaves Kobe with his 29 ppg as usual and 5 ast 5reb and a 60 plus win team and the momentum of winning his 4th ring. Dwayne Wade has the numbers but Miami is not ready to win over 50 games and the only other way I see someone winning mvp is if a team like oklahoma with 20 wins winds up winning 50 games then Durant or like someone like Oj Mayo can. Lebron will win it and only win it if they out play the lakers record again which is soo unlikely at this point. The Race next year to me seems like One of the wizards because of the 3 headed monster they have and they will win 50 with the new coaching and no injuries and Kobe,and perhaps Nash if the Suns can win 50 games again because they are a good team tehy had one bad season and mixed up coaching situation Nash can put up 20 and 10 anytime. Thankyou

I believe the only way Kobe gets MVP again is if The Lakers win 70 games or they win 60+ games when Gasol is injured for half the season.

thesparky33
06-22-2009, 08:23 PM
I dont know numbers, but here's a list of guys I think could win an MVP.

Derrick Rose
LeBron James
Carmelo Anthony
Kobe Bryant
O.J. Mayo
Dwyane Wade
Al Jefferson
Chris Paul
Kevin Durant
Dwight Howard
Brandon Roy
Deron Williams

lorenz00
06-22-2009, 09:25 PM

Derrick Rose
LeBron James
Carmelo Anthony
Kobe Bryant
O.J. Mayo
Dwyane Wade
Al Jefferson
Chris Paul
Kevin Durant
Dwight Howard
Brandon Roy
Deron Williams

kobe bryant is old XD i mean his in 1996 he meant 2000+

lorenz00
06-22-2009, 09:26 PM
ill pick Dwade, Dwight, Cp3 to win it soon!

JordansBulls
06-23-2009, 11:05 AM
ill pick Dwade, Dwight, Cp3 to win it soon!

Only player now I can see winning at least 3 MVP's is Lebron.

Brooklyn Mets
06-23-2009, 11:40 AM
LeBron
Wade
CP3
Brandon Roy
Kevin Durant

NYsportsGuru
06-23-2009, 02:56 PM
If Kobe can avg 28+ ppg next year with 5rbs and 5asts and make the 1st all defensive team, I think he might have a shot depending on how many wins the Lakers will get.
If it isn't Kobe's award to win next year, I'm going with either LeBron or Howard to win it.

marlinsfan24
06-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Wade wont win next season even if he puts up a great season unless Riley makes significant changes to the roster

tr4shb0t
06-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Seems like lately MVP goes to players who will likely be eliminated in the playoffs. I guess it's the NBA's way of making more people happy by spreading the love... I don't think it means as much any more.

So, I think maybe in this order: Wade, Lebron, CP3, D12, Durant, Lebron, CP3

JordansBulls
06-29-2009, 03:52 PM
If Kobe can avg 28+ ppg next year with 5rbs and 5asts and make the 1st all defensive team, I think he might have a shot depending on how many wins the Lakers will get.
If it isn't Kobe's award to win next year, I'm going with either LeBron or Howard to win it.

Don't see him getting it unless LA wins 70 games or win roughly the same amount with Gasol injured or something.

S-Dot
06-29-2009, 04:01 PM

Derrick Rose
LeBron James
Carmelo Anthony
Kobe Bryant
O.J. Mayo
Dwyane Wade
Al Jefferson
Chris Paul
Kevin Durant
Dwight Howard
Brandon Roy
Deron Williams

I dont see mayo winning one in his career; i like the al jefferson one but if minnesota is constantly in rebuilding mode i dont know if it could happen

thesparky33
06-29-2009, 07:47 PM
I dont see mayo winning one in his career; i like the al jefferson one but if minnesota is constantly in rebuilding mode i dont know if it could happen

Yeah, it's not really who I think will win one, but more so who I think could win one.

If I had to bet, I'd go against Mayo and Jefferson winning one, definitely. But at the same time, it could happen with the right situation. Not likely, but possible.

JordansBulls
07-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Yeah, it's not really who I think will win one, but more so who I think could win one.

If I had to bet, I'd go against Mayo and Jefferson winning one, definitely. But at the same time, it could happen with the right situation. Not likely, but possible.

I think your next 10 MVP's will be split among Lebron, Dwight, CP3, Roy and Wade?

asandhu23
07-01-2009, 11:08 AM
interestingly all of them have had high media coverage for their times

LA_Raiders
07-01-2009, 11:15 AM
I don't see any of the 90s to win MVPs, there is so much hype on the New Guys that they don't see the true value of an MVP... There is alot of Kobe Haters around so he wont win, The Best PLayer on The Best Team WTF???

MVP really sucks now.... The best player in the league should be the MVP.... Kobe would have like 3 by now....

S-Dot
07-01-2009, 11:29 AM
I don't see any of the 90s to win MVPs, there is so much hype on the New Guys that they don't see the true value of an MVP... There is alot of Kobe Haters around so he wont win, The Best PLayer on The Best Team WTF???

MVP really sucks now.... The best player in the league should be the MVP.... Kobe would have like 3 by now....

MVP and Best Player in the League (which I don't think he is right now but I'm tired of that debate so let's move on) are different. Thats why the award is not called Best Player in the League

2001: Iverson deserved it
2002: Kidd deserved it, but Duncan won
2003: Kidd deserved it, but Duncan won
2004: KG definitely deserved it
2005: Nash deserved it
2006: Nash deserved it
2007: Dirk deserved it
2008: Kobe deserved it; CP3 and LeBron were close
2009: LeBron deserved it

WHere do you see him winning 3? All of those players were the most valuable to their teams in those years; they changed those franchises

JordansBulls
10-17-2012, 03:07 PM
I think your next 10 MVP's will be split among Lebron, Dwight, CP3, Roy and Wade?

Man I was wrong on this. I underestimated guys like Durant and Rose at the time and this for a guy who was playing on the Bulls.

Manimal
10-18-2012, 08:58 AM
Wade can forget about winning an MVP. Dude demoted himself from Batman to Robin.

JordansBulls
10-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Wade can forget about winning an MVP. Dude demoted himself from Batman to Robin.

His only shot to get it is if Bron is missing a bunch of games like Wade did last season.