PDA

View Full Version : Sabermetrics Check-In Thread

Driven
06-22-2009, 03:23 PM
1. How long have you been following baseball?
2. Who are your favorite teams?
3. Are you familiar with sabermetrics?
4. What do you want to learn about sabermetrics?
5. Anything else you would like to learn about, or any suggestions?

Rylinkus
06-22-2009, 04:12 PM
1. How long have you been following baseball? No idea.
2. Who are your favorite teams? Yankees
3. Are you familiar with sabermetrics? Yes
4. What do you want to learn about sabermetrics? Anything I don't know ;)

brandonwarne52
06-22-2009, 04:26 PM
1. How long have you been following baseball? Since 1993.
2. Who are your favorite teams? Minnesota Twins.
3. Are you familiar with sabermetrics? Yeah, somewhat.
4. What do you want to learn about sabermetrics? More sophisticated metrics.
5. Anything else you would like to learn about, or any suggestions? Nope.

Gigantes4Life
06-22-2009, 04:31 PM
1. How long have you been following baseball? Day 1
2. Who are your favorite teams? Giants
3. Are you familiar with sabermetrics? Yes.
4. What do you want to learn about sabermetrics? Something I don't know.
5. Anything else you would like to learn about, or any suggestions? I don't know yet.

Seamhead
06-22-2009, 04:59 PM
1. How long have you been following baseball? When haven't I?
2. Who are your favorite teams? Braves and Giants
3. Are you familiar with sabermetrics? Hell no.
4. What do you want to learn about sabermetrics? yES.
5. Anything else you would like to learn about, or any suggestions? PITCH/FX and HIT/fx

djeller1139
06-22-2009, 06:03 PM
1. How long have you been following baseball? ~ 10 years (I'm 16)
2. Who are your favorite teams? Giants
3. Are you familiar with sabermetrics? Barely - did a school project on statistics in baseball and incorporated sabermetrics
4. What do you want to learn about sabermetrics? Everything, I'm basically starting from scratch
5. Anything else you would like to learn about, or any suggestions? Nope

natepro
06-22-2009, 07:18 PM
1. How long have you been following baseball? Probably since about 1985.
2. Who are your favorite teams? Angels and Cardinals. The first cause I grew up watching them, the second because I live in The Lou now and my girlfriend is a big Cardinals fan.
3. Are you familiar with sabermetrics? Yup.
4. What do you want to learn about sabermetrics? I'd like to learn how to figure out things like a player's WAR on my own. I know there have been threads started, I've mostly just been too lazy to take the time with them. But, currently I rely on places like Fangraphs and StatCorner to give me what I'm looking for.
5. Anything else you would like to learn about, or any suggestions? If you're new here and looking to learn, have an open mind. Coming in talking about how RBI is the best stat around and making cracks about how we all live in our mother's basement (I live in my grandmother's, thank you) isn't going to help anyone.

JDIsMyGod23
06-22-2009, 07:39 PM
1. How long have you been following baseball? All my life basically, not intently until 2000
2. Who are your favorite teams? White Sox
3. Are you familiar with sabermetrics? I know some
4. What do you want to learn about sabermetrics? The league averages of some of the stats.
5. Anything else you would like to learn about, or any suggestions? Meh

whitesoxfan83
06-22-2009, 07:48 PM

Since i was a kid really, but id say following it in depth since 2003.

White Sox. That is all.

Familar with really basic stuff...

I want to go to the next level past basic Saber Stats. But I dont want to just jump right to the hard stuff...

:shrug:

ZHAKIDD532
06-22-2009, 07:52 PM

I've been watching since I was a kid, but I started following it tons more when I was about 14.

New York Mets

Not really. I really like stats, I took AP in HS and I'm majoring in Actuarial Science in college. This is what I really want to apply all that too, I'm going to try to get a job in baseball.

Everything

I'm just glad this forum was started.

Westbrook36
06-22-2009, 08:21 PM
1. How long have you been following baseball? Since I was able to watch it
2. Who are your favorite teams? Phillies
3. Are you familiar with sabermetrics? Not really
4. What do you want to learn about sabermetrics? Everything
5. Anything else you would like to learn about, or any suggestions? Keep this active

k_rock923
06-22-2009, 08:28 PM
1. How long have you been following baseball? Since I was little.
2. Who are your favorite teams? Mets
3. Are you familiar with sabermetrics? Somewhat. Only superficially.
4. What do you want to learn about sabermetrics? I like math, so I'd like to learn not only the formulas, but why they work.
5. Anything else you would like to learn about, or any suggestions? How or if stats can measure 'true talent'.

iam brett favre
06-22-2009, 08:29 PM
1. How long have you been following baseball? My whole life.
3. Are you familiar with sabermetrics? No
4. What do you want to learn about sabermetrics? Everyhing

WavelandAve
06-22-2009, 09:45 PM
1. How long have you been following baseball? 7-8 Years
2. Who are your favorite teams? Chicago Cubs
3. Are you familiar with sabermetrics? I get the basic concepts of certain stats...
4. What do you want to learn about sabermetrics? Anything I can to improve my understanding of the game.

bagwell368
06-22-2009, 10:57 PM

Since mid summer 1966.

Red Sox. I used to like the Astros and Pirates in the 60's but got over that.

Yes.

A little here and there.

Where to obtain free metrics besides the sites I know.

giantspwn
06-22-2009, 11:54 PM
1. How long have you been following baseball? 1996, I think.

2. Who are your favorite teams? San Francisco Giants

3. Are you familiar with sabermetrics? Very little.

4. What do you want to learn about sabermetrics? Everything. Mainly the essentials consisting of WAR.

Just want a new perspective on the game.

C1Bman88
06-23-2009, 12:25 PM
1. How long have you been following baseball? For as long as I can remember.
2. Who are your favorite teams? Giants and Rays.
3. Are you familiar with sabermetrics? Hell yeah.
4. What do you want to learn about sabermetrics? Nothing, really. Just advancing my knowledge. Quantifying catcher defense is something I'm interested in.
5. Anything else you would like to learn about, or any suggestions? Nah, I'm good. Glad to see that we finally have a SABR forum.

quiksilver2491
06-23-2009, 03:58 PM
1. How long have you been following baseball? - Probably started getting seriously interested about 8-10 years ago.
2. Who are your favorite teams? - Red Sox
3. Are you familiar with sabermetrics? - Yes
4. What do you want to learn about sabermetrics? - Not really sure.......anything I don't already know I would be interested in learning more about.
5. Anything else you would like to learn about, or any suggestions? Read up I guess :shrug:

WindyCityFlyer
06-23-2009, 06:34 PM
1. How long have you been following baseball? As long as I can remember
2. Who are your favorite teams? White Sox
3. Are you familiar with sabermetrics? Quite Familiar
4. What do you want to learn about sabermetrics? Stuff I don't know, more fielding preferably
5. Anything else you would like to learn about, or any suggestions? nope.

papipapsmanny
06-23-2009, 06:37 PM
For Life
Red Sox
For the most part

How they get to certain conclusions from their formulas

and i dunno i guess other stuff

Cheezombie
06-23-2009, 09:17 PM
1. How long have you been following baseball? Since T-ball
2. Who are your favorite teams? A's
3. Are you familiar with sabermetrics? For the most part
4. What do you want to learn about sabermetrics? Whatever I haven't learned
5. Anything else you would like to learn about, or any suggestions? Free Kraut

Matt-the-great
06-24-2009, 12:06 AM
1. How long have you been following baseball? 4 years with increasing intensity
2. Who are your favorite teams? Jays are 1st in my heart. i also like the Braves, Cardinals, Twins, Rays, and Cubs organizations
3. Are you familiar with sabermetrics? somewhat, i am just starting to teach myself online
4. What do you want to learn about sabermetrics? as much as possible

TheRuckus
06-25-2009, 10:43 AM
1. How long have you been following baseball? Pretty much since I was old enough to understand what I was watching. So about 16 or 17 years.

2. Who are your favorite teams? Phillies. I also cheer for the Rays- call me a bandwagon fan on that if you want, but I never said I liked them before they stopped sucking. I just love how their team is put together and love watching them play.

3. Are you familiar with sabermetrics? Yes, though not as much as I'd like to be.

4. What do you want to learn about sabermetrics? How to calculate certain things myself, such as WAR. More about pitch and hit f/x. More about the prominent projection systems. Pretty much anything that I don't already know.

5. Anything else you would like to learn about, or any suggestions? Let's keep this forum popping. :D

Jilly Bohnson
06-25-2009, 01:44 PM
1. A little bit since I was a kid, then in 03 I became a more regular fan, then around late 04 early 05 is when I became fanatical like I am now.

2. Cubs. And my stepdad's a Bosox fan so I like them a lot too. And I also have a soft spot for the Braves.

3. Yes. I'm a math nerd.

4. Learn more about batted balls an what they imply.

5. For the other stuff I'd like to learn, anything interesting really. For the suggestion, it's that everyone keep it civil :)

giventofly
06-25-2009, 07:00 PM
1. How long have you been following baseball? I've been a Cubs fan since I was born, but I really got into the game in 1998. And I've been a stat freak for the last 5-6 years or so now.

2. Who are your favorite teams? Cubs. If I had to pick another NL team, it'd probably be the Braves. If I had an AL team, it'd probably be the Twins.

3. Are you familiar with sabermetrics? Yep.

4. What do you want to learn about sabermetrics? Nothing in particular, just a good amount of everything. I like seeing the origins and thoughts behind these stats and I like checking to make sure they're legitimate.

5. Anything else you would like to learn about, or any suggestions? I encourage people to research statistics and understand how they're calculated before they use them because they're popular. This forum has great potential for discussion, so keep an open mind.

miller
06-25-2009, 08:37 PM
1. How long have you been following baseball? Since around 2001 I payed a little more attention than usual. Been pretty much hooked since.

2. Who are your favorite teams? Yankees.

3. Are you familiar with sabermetrics? I've heard of them, but know very little about them or much understanding of them. They seem pretty interesting. They are maybe a bit beyond me in terms of math.

4. What do you want to learn about sabermetrics? I'd like a decent knowledge of them so I can judge whether or not they are useful to me and my understanding/enjoyment of the game.

5. Anything else you would like to learn about, or any suggestions? Sabermetrics for beginners might be quite useful for me. I don't really wanna jump in at the deep end and demonstrate that my sabermetrics ability is limited.

Fool
06-26-2009, 01:47 AM
1. How long have you been following baseball? Err, as a kid, but hardcore for a couple of years.
2. Who are your favorite teams? Cubs, and White Sox when they're not playing the Cubs (yeah, I know)
3. Are you familiar with sabermetrics? noooooooo.
4. What do you want to learn about sabermetrics? everything.

BearsBullsCHWS
06-26-2009, 02:57 AM

Since I could comprehend the basic gist of the game.

2. Who is your favorite team?

Chicago White Sox

Yes, quite familiar.

Learn the more in depth formula's of the metrics that guys like Tom Tango use, and branch off of that to create more accurate and efficient statistics.

we all should write letters to Jeff Francoeur asking him about the importance of on base percentage.:D

yahmez88
06-28-2009, 07:42 PM

Since I was young, started following more closely few years ago.

2. Who is your favorite team?

Jays

A little bit, this site alerted me to their existence. I have becoming more and more familiar with wOBA and defensive metrics but there is alot I don't know about those ones and all the others

Pretty much everything as I am limited in what I know.

Just excited to expand my knowledge.

chicagofan71
06-30-2009, 10:14 AM
--Since I was about 5 or 6 (10 years)
---The Cubs for sure, but I was a closet Rays fan for a while
--Yeah for the most part. I mainly use things like wOBA, BABIP and occasionally WAR and win shares. NOthing too major
--Anything I don't already know (which is a lot)

behindmydesk
06-30-2009, 10:49 AM
1. How long have you been following baseball? All my life, even as a young child I always watched read the paper.
2. Who are your favorite teams? Oakland A's, and Cubs
3. Are you familiar with sabermetrics? Oh yes. I was probably one of the earliest people who used Sabermetrics on this forum. I loved it. Sadly all the newer stuff has passed me by a bit. I rely on others.
4. What do you want to learn about sabermetrics? the newer stuff, and a focus on defense.
5. Anything else you would like to learn about, or any suggestions? Yea keep the fighting and nonsense to a minimum.

Jim Morrison
07-01-2009, 12:45 AM

1) 51 Years.
2) Chicago Cubs
3) To a degree
4) Primarily how people can put so much value into stats that are based a lot in theory, or what "SHOULD" be, rather than what IS.
5) Are Sabermetrics actually intersting to people or is it just a math thing? Its a game..not a math practice.

Havoc Wreaker
07-05-2009, 02:35 AM
1. How long have you been following baseball? around 1990 (I was 5) started playing little league and watching MLB with my dad
2. Who are your favorite teams? Phillies and Twins
3. Are you familiar with sabermetrics? I like to think so, but am probably a n00b at them
4. What do you want to learn about sabermetrics? Everything, I find it highly interesting
5. Anything else you would like to learn about, or any suggestions? :)

misterd
07-05-2009, 10:34 AM
1. How long have you been following baseball? Became a fan in my youth (late 70's), lost interest as Steinbrenner got rid of my favorite players. Got back into it in 1993 thanks to college roommate, Buck Showalter and Steinbrenner's ban.
3. Are you familiar with sabermetrics? Conceptually, yes. Couldn't really hold a conversation about it or explain it in any depth.
4. What do you want to learn about sabermetrics? Have a comfortable familiarity with the esoteric terms, and a better understanding of the rationale behind the "new" stats.

Your Name Here
07-07-2009, 02:16 AM
Why am I only now seeing this little area? I'm going to blame Jilly for not directly informing me about this, because otherwise it would be my fault, and that can't be right.

1. How long have you been following baseball? My first words were "Holy Cow!"

2. Who are your favorite teams? Cubs are #1. Cards are #30. All the rest are tied in the middle.

3. Are you familiar with sabermetrics? Does knowing that Wins are a shittastic indicator of talent count?

4. What do you want to learn about sabermetrics? Why doesn't the Runs Created stat have the highest correlation to run production?

5. Anything else you would like to learn about, or any suggestions? There's plenty of things I'd like to learn about and I've got buckets full of suggestions, but none of them really apply to this topic.

carson005
07-07-2009, 02:43 AM
1. How long have you been following baseball? 3 and a half years as an actual fan, 6 years as a casual fan
3. Are you familiar with sabermetrics? Not really, I'm here to learn :)
4. What do you want to learn about sabermetrics? Anything and everything
5. Anything else you would like to learn about, or any suggestions? Great idea for a forum

BALLER71
07-07-2009, 03:37 PM
1. How long have you been following baseball? 2002-2003
2. Who are your favorite teams? Marlins
3. Are you familiar with sabermetrics? Nothing, I just want to learn.
4. What do you want to learn about sabermetrics? Everything
5. Anything else you would like to learn about, or any suggestions? No.