PDA

View Full Version : A Different Approach For the Wizards

WizFan10
06-22-2009, 12:25 PM
There are all these rumors about the Wizards trading one or both of their expiring contracts along with their #5 pick for (fill in the blank). My question is this. How come nobody has considered keeping both Etan Thomas and Mike James for this season and letting their contracts expire at the end of the season? Thatís nearly 14 million they would clear in salary, plus I believe Brendan Haywood is in his last season. If they decide to let him walk, thatís 20 million they would have to go after someone in the 2010 free agency class to include Lebron, Wade, and Bosh.

On a side not, there was a rumor going around last week that had Jamison going to the Cavís for the expiring contracts of Pavlovic and Wallace in a cost saving move for the Wiz. That rumor was shot down pretty quickly. My question is again, why? Trading Jamison for those 2 contacts would clear an additional 13 million giving the Wiz 33 million off the books for next year. Sure weíd take a hit with the loss of Jamison, but that would give one of our young bigs a chance to step up. And with a healthy (fingers crossed) Arenas, this season shouldnít be intolerable to watch. Think of the possibilities for next summer! Am I missing something here? Thereís a reason why our expiring contracts our attractive to other teams. Many want to clear cap space for the big summer of í10. Well, why canít we be players in that free agent class too?

pd7631
06-22-2009, 12:39 PM
There are all these rumors about the Wizards trading one or both of their expiring contracts along with their #5 pick for (fill in the blank). My question is this. How come nobody has considered keeping both Etan Thomas and Mike James for this season and letting their contracts expire at the end of the season? Thatís nearly 14 million they would clear in salary, plus I believe Brendan Haywood is in his last season. If they decide to let him walk, thatís 20 million they would have to go after someone in the 2010 free agency class to include Lebron, Wade, and Bosh.
On a side not, there was a rumor going around last week that had Jamison going to the Cavís for the expiring contracts of Pavlovic and Wallace in a cost saving move for the Wiz. That rumor was shot down pretty quickly. My question is again, why? Trading Jamison for those 2 contacts would clear an additional 13 million giving the Wiz 33 million off the books for next year. Sure weíd take a hit with the loss of Jamison, but that would give one of our young bigs a chance to step up. And with a healthy (fingers crossed) Arenas, this season shouldnít be intolerable to watch. Think of the possibilities for next summer! Am I missing something here? Thereís a reason why our expiring contracts our attractive to other teams. Many want to clear cap space for the big summer of í10. Well, why canít we be players in that free agent class too?

Well, the answer to your question is very simple. Just because they have 20 mil in expiring contracts, does not mean that they will be 20 mil under the cap. They are well over the salary cap right now because of how much they have invested into Butler, Arenas, and Jamison.

The Wiz will actually only have around 3-5 million dollars if they let all their expirings run their course. And that's about 15 million dollars short of even talking to Wade, Bosh, or Lebron.

And the reason why the expiring contracts on the Wizards are appealing to other teams is because they have an actual shot of getting far enough under the cap to sign a big time free agent in 2010. Think of it this way, if the Wizards want to be players in 2010, then they would have to trade one of their big 3, for guys comparable to Etan Thomas and Mike James.

Hopefully that helps. If it doesn't then just let me know what I wasn't clear about.

WizFan10
06-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Actually the luxury cap thereshold for next season is estimated to be about 70 million and with James, Thomas, and Haywood coming off at the end of the year, that leaves the Wiz with 63 million comitted. (So 7 million available.) But like I said (and you mentioned), if they pulled the trigger on the Jamison trade for Pavlovic and Wallace, that would clear another 13 million leaving 20 million available to spend.

Well, the answer to your question is very simple. Just because they have 20 mil in expiring contracts, does not mean that they will be 20 mil under the cap. They are well over the salary cap right now because of how much they have invested into Butler, Arenas, and Jamison.

The Wiz will actually only have around 3-5 million dollars if they let all their expirings run their course. And that's about 15 million dollars short of even talking to Wade, Bosh, or Lebron.

And the reason why the expiring contracts on the Wizards are appealing to other teams is because they have an actual shot of getting far enough under the cap to sign a big time free agent in 2010. Think of it this way, if the Wizards want to be players in 2010, then they would have to trade one of their big 3, for guys comparable to Etan Thomas and Mike James.

Hopefully that helps. If it doesn't then just let me know what I wasn't clear about.

pd7631
06-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Actually the luxury cap thereshold for next season is estimated to be about 70 million and with James, Thomas, and Haywood coming off at the end of the year, that leaves the Wiz with 63 million comitted. (So 7 million available.) But like I said (and you mentioned), if they pulled the trigger on the Jamison trade for Pavlovic and Wallace, that would clear another 13 million leaving 20 million available to spend.

Since the salary cap is at around 56 million, that means that the Wizards and their 63 million committed can't pay for a FA. What it means is that they have 7 million to pay for their own players that need to be signed before they end up paying the luxury tax.

So just because the luxury tax is set at 70 million, does not mean that if the Wizards have 50 million committed, that they then have 20 million to spend on a guy like Bosh. They would only have 6 million to spend on a free agent.

If they had 50 million committed, and had to to sign let's just say Gilbert Arenas.....well then they can go over the cap(56 million) to sign Arenas, because he has bird rights.

They could also go over the cap to sign a FA if they have the MLE available, which is around 5.5 million.

The point is that the Wizards would need to cut their committed salaries going into 2010-2011 season down to around 35 million if they want to sign a big name FA in the 2010 offseason.

WizFan10
06-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Ahhhhh, now it all makes sense. Thanks for the 411.

james21
06-22-2009, 01:25 PM
:shrug::shrug:why isn't this in the wizards forum?

pd7631
06-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Ahhhhh, now it all makes sense. Thanks for the 411.

No problem. If the Wizards can stay healthy they have easily have one of the most talented teams in the league, especially with the #5 pick coming in(if they don't trade the pick). They just need to add some quality veteran role players and under the guidance of Flip Saunders, they should really have a good season and could easily contend in the East.

pd7631
06-22-2009, 01:29 PM
:shrug::shrug:why isn't this in the wizards forum?

I'm not a Wizards fan, but I check that forum every once in awhile and it's pretty dead. The person who started this thread probably wouldn't get much of an answer in that forum.

pd7631
06-22-2009, 01:31 PM
I'm not a Wizards fan, but I check that forum every once in awhile and it's pretty dead. The person who started this thread probably wouldn't get much of an answer in that forum.

nevermind. I just checked the Wizards forum, and things have really picked up in there since the offseason started. There was nothing going on in there during the regular season.

kbrill21
06-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Plus, none of the superstars you mentioned wants to play in DC with Gilbert. There wouldn't be enough shots to go around. Gilbert dominates the ball at all times. the Wiz will be regretting re-signing him for years to come. I'm a Celtics fan, but live in DC and I have a soft spot for the Wiz. I feel bad for them, b/c that franchise is screwed up!!