PDA

View Full Version : Dark Side Of The '86 NBA Draft

phlp_bj
06-22-2009, 11:21 AM
It may have been twenty-three years ago, but Nate McMillan remembers the 1986 NBA Draft like it was yesterday.

He couldn't forget if he tried.

"They (the television network) turned it off after the first round. Right when they stopped coverage, I was the next selection," said McMillan, now the head coach of the Portland Trail Blazers.

But back then, he was a 6'5" guard and the 30th overall selection out of North Carolina State by the Seattle SuperSonics.

"You go through that draft and there was some unbelievable talent."

The Cleveland Cavaliers made Brad Daugherty out of North Carolina the number one pick. It's the same draft that yielded once obscure players such as Mark Price, Dennis Rodman, Kevin Duckworth and Jeff Hornacek who became household names in the late '80's and throughout the '90's.

Others would battle addictions off the floor instead of finding success on the court.

"There were some guys that made some mistakes also and guys that had some problems and ended up not finishing their career," McMillan admits thinking back a draft class ruined by headlines of drug abuse

Len Bias, Chris Washburn, William Bedford and Roy Tarpley were four of the top seven first round selections that year. Three were eventually banned from the league. The other died two days after being chosen as the second overall pick.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13011

very interesting read. makes you wonder what could have been if len bias didn't die. do you guys think there's anyone in this year's class who could get into trouble?

op12
06-22-2009, 01:30 PM
people seem to forget about the death of bias and reggie lewis when they bash the celtics for falling off in the 90s. these were 2 potential stars in the making and one who was an all star when he died. sad everytime you hear about bias.

not too bad of a draft. i really liked price and hornacek back then.

Kobedidit2009
06-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Ricky Rubio....Im worried hes too young and the spotlight might change him...I remember thinking Darko Milicic if he waited longer to go pro or attended college or something could of been something more special butt everyone is putting Rubio as top 5 pick...The kid could be talented to throw him in the nba on a team right now is irresponsible im 19 and to handle pressure like that especially when he knows he isnt as good as they make him seem....its gonna make him get hurt and try to do too much and if he ends up in somewhere like Memphis Its gonna be a 2001 clippers team thats flashy with no wins once again he should go somewhere where he can learn like San Antonio or Phoenix if that was possible so someone could teach him!

ARMIN12NBA
06-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Len Bias was no joke. He would have been a superstar. Not only that, but he would have prolonged Bird and McHale's careers big time. The Celtics probably win a few more championships with Bias around.

IndyRealist
06-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Just realized the post I was responding to is in the wrong thread. My bad.

Nikolishin
06-22-2009, 02:16 PM
darkside of the moon