PDA

View Full Version : Better chance at the Hall of Fame: Pau Gasol or Manu Ginobili

JordansBulls
06-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Better chance at the Hall of Fame: Pau Gasol or Manu Ginobili

Considering everything they have done in basketball internationally and in the NBA, who do you think has the better case for the hall of fame?

Raps18-19 Champ
06-22-2009, 10:48 AM
3 titles>1 title.

And just for fun.

Gold Medal>Silver Medal.

JayW_1023
06-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Manu right now...if Gasol wins another title in LA this debate becomes alot more interesting however. Maybe I'm biased because Manu is my favorite player, but hey.

That said...neither are Hall of Famers right now...but if I pick one to go right now...it would be Ginobili.

Tom81
06-22-2009, 10:55 AM
I think both have same chance

J_M_B
06-22-2009, 11:01 AM
If I had to pick one right now I'll go with Manu Ginobili

ragee
06-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Manu... He has more rings...

Cali4rnia
06-22-2009, 11:19 AM
i go with gasol.. atleast he plays without injuries.. if thats the case tracy mcgrady has to be considered hall of famer.. i dont wanna hear that manu has 3 rings.. he also had 2 good players.. if thats the case den whole spurs team should be on hall of fame.. manu is injury prone..

JordansBulls
06-22-2009, 11:38 AM
3 titles>1 title.

And just for fun.

Gold Medal>Silver Medal.

Gasol won a gold medal in 2006 in FIBA.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Gasol won a gold medal in 2006 in FIBA.

I'm talking about the Olympics. Olympics is more competitive than FIBA in my opinion.

JordansBulls
06-22-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm talking about the Olympics. Olympics is more competitive than FIBA in my opinion.

A Gold medal is a gold medal. Also the US team in 2006 was better than the 2004 team.

Unruly Fan
06-22-2009, 11:46 AM
i go with gasol.. atleast he plays without injuries.. if thats the case tracy mcgrady has to be considered hall of famer.. i dont wanna hear that manu has 3 rings.. he also had 2 good players.. if thats the case den whole spurs team should be on hall of fame.. manu is injury prone..LOL... and Gasol has? I think thats a lame excuse but I still believe that Gasol has more of a franchise-esq aura to him paired with above average stats. This is why I think the probablility of him entering the HOF is higher.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-22-2009, 11:46 AM
A Gold medal is a gold medal. Also the US team in 2006 was better than the 2004 team.

True but if anyone had the choice, they'd rather choose the Olympic Gold medal because it means a lot more.

JordansBulls
06-22-2009, 11:48 AM
True but if anyone had the choice, they'd rather choose the Olympic Gold medal because it means a lot more.

I'm not disagreeing with that, you just mentioned that Manu had a gold medal while Gasol had a silver medal, I was just correcting you saying that Gasol had a gold medal as well.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-22-2009, 11:57 AM
i go with gasol.. atleast he plays without injuries.. if thats the case tracy mcgrady has to be considered hall of famer.. i dont wanna hear that manu has 3 rings.. he also had 2 good players.. if thats the case den whole spurs team should be on hall of fame.. manu is injury prone..

So if Manu doesn't have 3 rings then Gasol doesn't have 1 ring.

He's injury prone because he missed a lot of games this one year? He played at least 70 or more games 5 out of the 7 years he's been in the NBA.

Paul has only been healthy once since 2005.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pau_Gasol

He's only played only 70 games once since 2005.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-22-2009, 11:59 AM
I'm not disagreeing with that, you just mentioned that Manu had a gold medal while Gasol had a silver medal, I was just correcting you saying that Gasol had a gold medal as well.

Ok

Also Manu is the first player to win a NBa championship, EuroLeague championship and Olympic gold medal. But the Last 2 has nothing to do with the NBA.

Cali4rnia
06-22-2009, 12:12 PM
So if Manu doesn't have 3 rings then Gasol doesn't have 1 ring.

He's injury prone because he missed a lot of games this one year? He played at least 70 or more games 5 out of the 7 years he's been in the NBA.

Paul has only been healthy once since 2005.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pau_Gasol

He's only played only 70 games once since 2005.
pau gasol is a double double gauranteed. manu is not even sure if he is gonna start or not start.. plus manu injuries are just piling..

pd7631
06-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Not sure if this counts for anything, but Pau was at one point a franchise player(Memphis), and Manu has always played 2nd or 3rd fiddle on the Spurs. Right now I can see the argument in Manu's favor, but he seems to be fading fast with all his injury issues, and Pau still has a lot of good basketball ahead of him.

azkarraga
06-22-2009, 12:30 PM
right now, both have the same chances: NONE

FaceDown91
06-22-2009, 12:36 PM
I say Pau because he was a franchise player before and he is now a 2nd player behind kobe while manu was always a 3rd option with tony parker and tim duncan.

Grim Reaper
06-22-2009, 12:38 PM
I didn't even vote because neither one really has a legitamite shot.

UnWantedTheory
06-22-2009, 01:07 PM
This is a ridiculous thread. Those of you that say that Manu had Duncan and Parker need to check who Gasol has had the last year and a half to get his ring. This is also a basketball conversation not just and NBA one. Manu at the end of his career will have accomplished much more as a basketball player, not just as an NBA player. Look what has happened as well. Gasol wasnt ever much of a franchise player when he was with the Grizzlies either. He couldnt shoulder a team. Just because we put that tag on them doesnt meant anything. Also look what happened to the spurs this year without Ginobili. It isnt that he is the 3rd option it is that he is best used off the bench, but could start on almost any team. IMO Ginobili is almost more important than parker when healthy. And his health issues werent too much of a concern till this year. But regardless, I dont think either of them get in the HOF, but if one were to deserve it, I would think it to be Ginobili.

Kakaroach
06-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Ginobli for now. But Gasol is younger and has a chance at more titles in the near future.

Drewlius
06-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Manu by leaps and bounds, far more accomplishments than Pau.

FaceDown91
06-22-2009, 01:50 PM
lol cant wait for hellcrooner to show up in this thread :laugh2:

BkOriginalOne
06-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Manu, easily.
To me, Manu is already in - 3 titles and 1 gold.
Pau still has some earning to do.

Jahari Kavi
06-22-2009, 02:05 PM
as of now...manu.........if pau gets another ring or two he might be more worthy though........

Chronz
06-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Pau doesnt need another title, nobody does. The whole idea that a title should be any kind of requirement is silly, all he needs is to sustain a HOF level of play for a few more years and hes in.

ARMIN12NBA
06-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Manu for now (only slightly), but I believe that the answer will easily be Pau Gasol in a few seasons and maybe even after next. Pau has better statistics and has more all-star appearances. They were both All-NBA 3rd teamers at one point. Pau has the ROY over Manu, but Manu has 3 championships. Two of which he was a pretty big part of. I think Pau is the better player and one more season of great play should solidify his position as better than Manu.

Vidball
06-22-2009, 02:15 PM
^^^Agreed. Manu for now, but Pau is younger and has a chance at a few more rings as a true #2 option.

Tom81
06-22-2009, 02:19 PM

how can you compare Olympics gold medal to fiba gold medal.....???? :confused:

mrblisterdundee
06-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Manu Ginobili already has three championships. Pau Gasol only has one. I think it's easy to tell who's better suited to join the hall of fame at this point in their career, although Pau might win some more championships and equalize himself with Manu.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-22-2009, 03:14 PM

:laugh: lol I actually laughed on the floor when i saw that

GspLAL
06-22-2009, 04:08 PM
Manu

S.J.Basketball
06-22-2009, 04:16 PM
I'd say it's about equal to be honest.

i.got.the.nutz
06-22-2009, 07:33 PM
Gasol, his stats are far superior to that of Manu's and Gasol still has a chance to add 2-3 rings to his resume.

Bones10564
06-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Maybe just a homer call but I go with Pau Gasol...

Hawkeye15
06-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Manu at this point

mzgrizz
06-22-2009, 08:02 PM
An ex-homer call, but Pau Gasol is one of the most talented 4's I've seen since KG. His game is bloomin' in LA and will only get better.
Manu is phenomenal but I doubt will continue to elevate his game.

dodie53
06-22-2009, 08:10 PM
i hate Manu but i think he has a better chance right now

Mudvayne91
06-22-2009, 08:20 PM
I hate them both, but I think people give Manu too little credit. What happened this year in the playoffs w/o Manu? Obviously Timmy and Tony weren't enough. Gasol had a hell of a playoffs, but it didn't hurt having Kobe.

JordansBulls
06-22-2009, 09:01 PM
An ex-homer call, but Pau Gasol is one of the most talented 4's I've seen since KG. His game is bloomin' in LA and will only get better.
Manu is phenomenal but I doubt will continue to elevate his game.

It's blooming because he doesn't have to be the guy.

mzgrizz
06-22-2009, 10:13 PM
It's blooming because he doesn't have to be the guy.

Yeah, I know>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:cry:

madiaz3
06-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Ok

Also Manu is the first player to win a NBa championship, EuroLeague championship and Olympic gold medal. But the Last 2 has nothing to do with the NBA.

The Hall of Fame isn't restrcited to just NBA accomplishments.

Lakersfan2483
06-22-2009, 10:57 PM
At this point it's Manu, but Pau is close.

davg31
06-22-2009, 11:15 PM
equal

Joshtd1
06-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Manu right now. Im not sure about how good Pau was over in Europe, but I know Manu was pretty damn good overseas which counts for alot. I believe he had an MVP or two for his league...plus his Olympic Gold medal. Then theres his 3 rings with the Spurs.

I think if Gasol (as Chronz said) keeps up his play, he will make it as well.

#1Mavericksfan
06-22-2009, 11:58 PM
I'm going with Manu...if Pau was still with the Grizzlies we would not even be talking about him right now.

DJ CHACH
06-23-2009, 12:55 AM
tim donaghy and david stern have a better chance

cmellofan15
06-23-2009, 01:01 AM
Manu.

dsonLAL24
06-23-2009, 01:08 AM
Manu right now, but Pau Gasol is not far behind.

dsonLAL24
06-23-2009, 01:09 AM
tim donaghy and david stern have a better chance

typical new york fan ugh!

asandhu23
06-23-2009, 01:18 AM
typical new york fan ugh!

typical bandwagoner...uggghh... GO WARRIORS

asandhu23
06-23-2009, 01:21 AM
Manu has a much better chance. he is a big part of the mini dynasty of San Antonio Spurs. I can bet anything he goes to HOF but Tracy McGrady doesn't

ochoa3791
06-23-2009, 01:27 AM
come on manu comes off the bench 60% of the time, and has been good for like 4 or 5 years, Gasol is entering his prime

asandhu23
06-23-2009, 01:32 AM
come on manu comes off the bench 60% of the time, and has been good for like 4 or 5 years, Gasol is entering his prime

also notice... he was rotting in Memphis before he ended up in the exact place where Shaq made his name...right next to one of the top 3 nba players ever

#1Mavericksfan
06-23-2009, 01:34 AM
Manu.

I just was just wondering why do you still have Dirk Nowitzki on "Birdwatch" for?...I mean why didn't you put Kobe or Pau on "Birdwatch"?

bogmon
06-23-2009, 01:37 AM
if ya ask me....Manu is in already.

His contribution to the dominant Spurs teams earlier this decade is undeniable.

The guy immediately stepped into the NBA as a superstar.

asandhu23
06-23-2009, 01:39 AM
if ya ask me....Manu is in already.

His contribution to the dominant Spurs teams earlier this decade is undeniable.

The guy immediately stepped into the NBA as a superstar.

I agree.

Ni55anpat
06-23-2009, 01:55 AM
None will be HOFers

chadillachembre
06-23-2009, 02:15 AM
Neither are Hall-of-Fame material. Pau was rookie of the year and a 2x all star 8 years. good not great. gotta be great to be in the hall. His rookie class is above average today but nearly every one of those star players in that draft were "project players" as opposed to "impact players" (i.e. tyson chandler, joe johnson) so for that single rookie year no one stuck out. Manu is a one time all-star and a 6th man award winner. Bench players dont make the hall. both are HUGE over seas but I don't see that translating into a Hall bid. Owners, Coaches, scouts etc... get in on contributions to the game but I don't think that is extended to the players. In hypothetical, although Manu is less decorated than Pau individualy, I would put Manu in before Pau

Trouble87
06-23-2009, 02:16 AM
right now Manu

but Gasol has time to catch up

JayW_1023
06-23-2009, 05:48 AM
Before you start bashing Manu about being injury prone...in his prime, he was the most complete SG after a guy named Kobe Bryant. He could shoot from anywhere, take it to the rim, he could pass and he could score in almost any angle possible.

In his prime, there was no player as fun to watch this decade as Manu. The way he could create plays out of almost nothing was a sight to see. And he made the 2005 Pistons, a great defensive team, look like chumps in the Finals...the same team that successfully contained Kobe a year earlier.

Manu isn't what he once was...but in his prime he was straight up filthy. Oh how quickly people forget....

Hellcrooner
06-23-2009, 06:47 AM

Im here.

The answer is BOTH.

Liek it or not international resume counts too and both have enough International merits to go into the Hof and both of them having Nba rigns and allstar appearances does not xactly hurt their chances.

International career of Pau is slight better as he has various euro championship medals, WORLD CUP godl, Olympic sivler WITH REDEEM TEAM PLAYING, and a juniro gold

Also Pau was Mvp of the Spanish League and Spanish Finals.

Manus Nba career fore the moment is better,.....slightly 3 rings but as third options isntead of second and never a franchise dude, Pau led a lousy team to playoffs himself trhee times.

About Olympcis vs Fiba World Championshp

Olympcis have the hype but its mUCH MORE DIFFICULT to win World cup

Why?

Olympics 12 Teams

Fiba 24 Teams

Olympcis seeds are awarded with some balanced thing between continents thats why this time around you didnt have some of the MOST competitive teams like Italy, Serbia or France because only 4 euro teams could be there

FIba seeds are awarded to the best teams no matter where they come, yeah you may have 1 or two africans and 2 asiasn to fill the thing up but you got like 12 of the best euro teams and all the good teams from america.

JordansBulls
06-23-2009, 08:19 AM
Im here.

The answer is BOTH.

Liek it or not international resume counts too and both have enough International merits to go into the Hof and both of them having Nba rigns and allstar appearances does not xactly hurt their chances.

International career of Pau is slight better as he has various euro championship medals, WORLD CUP godl, Olympic sivler WITH REDEEM TEAM PLAYING, and a juniro gold

Also Pau was Mvp of the Spanish League and Spanish Finals.

Manus Nba career fore the moment is better,.....slightly 3 rings but as third options isntead of second and never a franchise dude, Pau led a lousy team to playoffs himself trhee times.

About Olympcis vs Fiba World Championshp

Olympcis have the hype but its mUCH MORE DIFFICULT to win World cup

Why?

Olympics 12 Teams

Fiba 24 Teams

Olympcis seeds are awarded with some balanced thing between continents thats why this time around you didnt have some of the MOST competitive teams like Italy, Serbia or France because only 4 euro teams could be there

FIba seeds are awarded to the best teams no matter where they come, yeah you may have 1 or two africans and 2 asiasn to fill the thing up but you got like 12 of the best euro teams and all the good teams from america.

Good post!!

azkarraga
06-23-2009, 08:21 AM
Pau won a euroleague? when?

Mc Uncle Cola
06-23-2009, 08:45 AM
i dont think either of them should be in the hall of fame.....for what??? neither of them are super stars

JayW_1023
06-23-2009, 09:23 AM
If Manu in his prime had gotten the same minutes as Kobe or T-Mac with a comparable supporting cast focussed around his game...I guarantee he would've produced in similair fashion as them.

Chronz
06-23-2009, 12:40 PM
The NBA should have its own HOF. Its too easy for international players to make it, all they have to do is be the first from their country. The bar is set too high for American players.

JordansBulls
06-23-2009, 01:27 PM
The NBA should have its own HOF. Its too easy for international players to make it, all they have to do is be the first from their country. The bar is set too high for American players.

But for American players they count college as well.

Chronz
06-23-2009, 01:50 PM
But for American players they count college as well.
Doesnt do as much legacy boosting considering players dont stay in College their entire careers **** most players want to get out of college ASAP (Which they should, a players legacy shouldnt be defined by what he does on junior levels), whereas All-Stars from other countries can go back to their countries and play internationally for as long as they want.

KG or Bron playing well as 19 year olds in the NBA should count more than winning an NCAA title in any role.

JordansBulls
06-25-2009, 01:05 AM
Doesnt do as much legacy boosting considering players dont stay in College their entire careers **** most players want to get out of college ASAP (Which they should, a players legacy shouldnt be defined by what he does on junior levels), whereas All-Stars from other countries can go back to their countries and play internationally for as long as they want.

KG or Bron playing well as 19 year olds in the NBA should count more than winning an NCAA title in any role.

For someone like Grant Hill it will do wonders.

ChiSox219
06-25-2009, 01:09 AM
Pau Gasol is 28th all-time in PER

He's got the better chance because he's the better player. He played great on a bad and played great and won with a good team.

His NBA totals are going to be a lot better than Ginobili's once it's all said and done