PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Who has the advantage lefties or righties?

ESaady
06-22-2009, 05:01 AM
I have no idea if this has ever been discussed before and I haven't seen anything on it in this forum so I felt like bringing it up.

For me, as a right hander, I have always wondered, would baseball be different for me if I were left handed. Since there a lot of righties in the game, and it's obvious why, are lefties at an advantage?

I see that throughout the history of the game, Right handed pitchers have been more successful while on the other hand Left handed batters have been better.

Just some examples.
Only 17 out of the top 20 Winningest pitchers in baseball history are right handed. Era record is owned by righties( 8out of top 10 are righties) While left handers like Barry Bonds, Babe Ruth, and Ken Griffey Jr. 3 out of the top 5 all time home run leaders. 5 out of 9 players with the highest career hits are lefties and that is excluding Pete Rose since he was a switch hitter. Tony Gwynn nearly hit 400 a few times and his career average is the highest among players whose careers began after World War II, and fourth-highest among players whose career was entirely within the live-ball era (only Ted Williams-a lefty, Lou Gehrig-a lefty, and Bill Terry- a lefty have higher averages in that time) 7 out of 10 players with the highest career BA are lefties. 5 out of 9 players with the most rbis in their careers are lefties and thats excluding Eddie Murray since he was a switch hitter.

This is what I see with out advanced stats..just a record book and only some records. What do you guys think? Who has the advantage in baseball? Basically, I just want to see what people have to say.

cheerio
06-22-2009, 09:47 AM
depends on the batter

poodski
06-22-2009, 11:28 AM
Hitters LH
Pitcher RH

SJ5382
06-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Hitters LH
Pitcher RH
Agreed.

Of course, I'm a RH hitter and LH pitcher. :pity:

Brooklyn Mets
06-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Hitters LH
Pitcher RH

true for the majority of players..
although some lefty pitchers are better against right-handed batters and vice-versa..

bagwell368
06-22-2009, 12:22 PM
It's a total advantage to be lefty:

#1. Go look up the top 50 hitters all time in OPS+, figure out the percentage, then compare to the fact that 15% of the population is naturally lefty. Hmmmm....

#2. Lefty pitchers are in the minority, although they occur at a higher frequency then the normal population in MLB. Lefty hitters see less of them, and do worse then righty hitters do against righty pitchers - overall of course.

#3. Look at this years draft. About 25% of the top 50 picks were LHP. Pitching is 1/10 of the positions in the AL and 1/9 in the NL. 15% of people are lefty yet, 1/4 of the top picks were LHP. Think about that.

#4. Tony Fossas. A terrible pitcher, in fact if his was right handed he would never have made the majors, never mind be paid millions to try and get an out a couple of times a week. Awful

Yup, the game favors lefties, and that will never change.

fanofclendennon
06-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Depends what you mean by advantage. There are so few lefthanders out there that even some righties have trouble hitting them. Similarly, left handed batters almost never get a chance to face left handed pitchers which makes it very difficult to hit them.

For batters the advantage is obvious as first base is closer to the left side of the diamond.

For fielders, right handers have the advantage since the only position they can play without being handicapped is pitcher, first base, and the outfield.

fanofclendennon
06-22-2009, 12:25 PM

#1. Go look up the top 50 hitters all time in OPS+, figure out the percentage, then compare to the fact that 15% of the population is naturally lefty. Hmmmm....

#2. Lefty pitchers are in the minority, although they occur at a higher frequency then the normal population in MLB. Lefty hitters see less of them, and do worse then righty hitters do against righty pitchers - overall of course.

#3. Look at this years draft. About 25% of the top 50 picks were LHP. Pitching is 1/10 of the positions in the AL and 1/9 in the NL. 15% of people are lefty yet, 1/4 of the top picks were LHP. Think about that.

#4. Tony Fossas. A terrible pitcher, in fact if his was right handed he would never have made the majors, never mind be paid millions to try and get an out a couple of times a week. Awful

or what he said.

bagwell368
06-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Depends what you mean by advantage. There are so few lefthanders out there that even some righties have trouble hitting them. Similarly, left handed batters almost never get a chance to face left handed pitchers which makes it very difficult to hit them.

For batters the advantage is obvious as first base is closer to the left side of the diamond.

For fielders, right handers have the advantage since the only position they can play without being handicapped is pitcher, first base, and the outfield.

fielding... yes RH have the advantage (need) at 3B, SS, 2B. I would also say a slight advantage in LF. LH have the advantage at 1B and a slight one in RF. CF is obviously the same. Catcher has always been thought to be a righty only, but with more and more lefties in the game that may change within the next generation.

That's why the most common breakdown is R-R, followed by R-L, L-L (actually L-L may be more common then L-R, not sure), and last and quite rare L-R - since right bat and left throw is the most disadvantageous.

poodski
06-22-2009, 12:51 PM

Number 1 i ll agree with. And number 3 and 4 sure, but thats more its an advangtage to be a LH not they have the advantage in the actual game. You have a better chance of making the bigs as a LHP than you do a RHP, but that doesnt mean they have an advantage.

There are more RHP and more RHB than there are LHP and LHB. Since we know people generally hit the opposite side better (i.e. LHP hit RHB better than they hit LHP) then RHP will have a better advantage since they will be facing more RHB. LHB will have a better advantage since they will be facing more RHP.

Of the top 100 active on the ERA+ board 27 are LHP. On the top 100 active OPS+ board 36 are LHB with another 18 being switch hitters. So that leaves just 49 being RHB.

There were 79694 PA last yaer in the ML. 72% of those were vs RHP, and 56% of those were taken as a RHB. Take if for what you will I guess. maybe there isnt really an advantage, but LHP last year had an opponents OPS of .761 RHP gave up a .745. LHB hit for a .762 while RHB only hit for a .739.

To me RHP have an advantage over LHP, while LHB have an advantage over RHB.

MaHaRaJaH
06-22-2009, 12:51 PM
But you can't base this on correlation alone :S

Ragun
06-22-2009, 12:52 PM
righties, more right handed batters.

NYsportsGuru
06-22-2009, 01:41 PM
For the most part, it is based on righty/lefty match-ups.

SHOELESSJOE3
06-23-2009, 12:31 AM
If the question was who has the more favorable hitting conditions in baseball, there is absolutely no doubt.......left handed batters have the more favorable hitting conditions, they always have.

The first reason is the most obvious one, over the years there have always been, on average more RH pitchers.
On average a batter hits for a better average when facing a pitcher pitching from the opposite side.
LH hitters on average bat more times against RH pitchers since there are more RH pitchers in the game.
RH hitters on average are batting against pitchers pitching from the same side since there are more RH pitchers in the game, this does not favor RH hitters.

Small sample of pitching rosters for 2009 season.
Bosox-------9 RH pitchers-------5 LH pitchers
Dodgers----10 RH---------------8 LH
Cards------16 RH---------------2 LH
Oakland----12 RH---------------7 LH
These numbers may vary a small amount over the course of the season, pithers being sent down to the minors and some being brought up to MLB but it's obvious on average most clubs will carry more RH pitchers over the season.

It's also been brought up the LH hitter has a small edge being a little closer to first base, not sure how much that matters over the season but it is a small advantage.

Also at times with a runner on first base and the first baseman holding on the runner there is a bigger hole to hit through on the right side of the infield.
Now RH hitters can also shoot for that hole but he is hitting to the opposite side of the field. The LH batter is hitting to his stronger side, to right field.

More proof. The top 10 career batting average modern times
Only two Right handed hitters in the top 10 Hornsby and Heilmann
The other 8 are left handed hitters, this is no fluke.

A list of the top 30 career batting averages from 1900 to 1992......20 are LH hitters and only 10 are RH hitters.

From 1901 to 1999 batting titles for a season
124 left handed batters
- 66 right handed batters
- 8 switch hitters.

No doubt, LH hitters have the more favorable conditions

iam brett favre
06-23-2009, 12:35 AM
I'm a lefty. I think when hitting, I defenitley have the advantage becauase most pitchers are right handed. But, when Im pitching its the other way around. So really, noone truly has the advantage, because at one point or another, righty or lefty, the odds will be working against you.

SHOELESSJOE3
06-23-2009, 12:59 AM
I'm a lefty. I think when hitting, I defenitley have the advantage becauase most pitchers are right handed. But, when Im pitching its the other way around. So really, noone truly has the advantage, because at one point or another, righty or lefty, the odds will be working against you.

Get your point BRETT but I believe the question who has the edge is meant to be judged on average at bats, not on certain situations, and the fact is in MLB lefty hitters bat more times against pitchers pitching from the opposite side than right handed hitters do because there are more RH pitchers in the game. So most of the time LH hitters have the edge.

The fact that 20 of the top 30 career batting averages are held by LH hitters and 8 of the top 10 career batting averages are held by LH hitters, leaves no doubt.

iam brett favre
06-23-2009, 01:02 AM
Yeah, I was just going by my experience....im sure #'s can prove otherwise.

SHOELESSJOE3
06-23-2009, 06:41 AM
Yeah, I was just going by my experience....im sure #'s can prove otherwise.

OK Brett, I got that.