PDA

View Full Version : Props to ESPN.

N.Z's #1 Dodger
06-22-2009, 03:50 AM
I know this doesn't happen often, especially from west coast fans, but today's Dodger/Angel game was the best I've ever seen them announce.

We got Sandy Koufax footage in comparison to Clayton Kershaw. We got a little tribute to Nick Edinheart or whoever that Angel kid was who died tragically. We got an in depth look at the Angels bullpen and they stayed on topic (Angels/Dodgers) for most of the game.

Yeah, they pretty much just did their job properly for once. But from someone who is so quick to put them down I was actually quite pleased.

SFGiants4life
06-22-2009, 03:52 AM
ESPN never does anything right for the West Coast, if there is a highlight of say a Giants game its like 2 seconds long saying who won, but when they show the damn yankees they go off on like a million tangents about this and that. ESPN sucks

degnor
06-22-2009, 03:55 AM
ESPN takes a lot of heat from people on here, and while some of it is deserved, people rarely point out the stuff they do right. They really aren't all that bad, and they do a decent job of telling you what's going on. They're at their best when they aren't taking themselves seriously (the This is SportsCenter commercials are usually worth watching) and they're worst when they are (honestly, I couldn't care less what Barack Obama's NCAA bracket was, and I will fight anyone who did care). Some of their writers are crap, but then again, some are pretty talented. I'm a big fan of PTI and Around the Horn too, but Jim Rome just annoys me...he's too smug

Driven
06-22-2009, 03:57 AM
ESPN is a great sports channel. I hate most of the *****ing. You can disagree with their opinions and whatnot, but the fact of the matter is that they show a ton of sports all day. Plus Rome, Around the Horn, PTI and Sportscenter are fantastic midday shows.

Driven
06-22-2009, 03:59 AM
ESPN never does anything right for the West Coast, if there is a highlight of say a Giants game its like 2 seconds long saying who won, but when they show the damn yankees they go off on like a million tangents about this and that. ESPN sucks
I hate these complaints. Of course they're going to talk about the Yankees. When a great percentage of their viewers want to see that, and tune in to see that, of course they're going to.

They aren't "biased," as many would say.

whitekimbo
06-22-2009, 04:05 AM
I hate these complaints. Of course they're going to talk about the Yankees. When a great percentage of their viewers want to see that, and tune in to see that, of course they're going to.

They aren't "biased," as many would say.

yea, but the 2 people backing ESPN up so far are 2 people from New York so of course ur gonna take their side because they're east coast biased.

u have to be insane if u dont think ESPN is biased. make a poll and watch how much of a blowout it is...

GHGHCP
06-22-2009, 04:07 AM

Reminds me of the exclusive coverage of JOBA riding an exercise bike for about 30 sec like a year or so ago. :D

nikefreek220
06-22-2009, 04:11 AM
haha the other day i was watching Baseball tonight with my girlfriend's dad. And we wanted to see highlights of the Angels vs Giants game, and we counted how many times they showed the Yanks vs Nationals highlight and it was 6 times in ONE hours. and to top it off they NEVER showed the highlight of the Angels vs Giants game, it was complete crap.

Driven
06-22-2009, 04:13 AM
yea, but the 2 people backing ESPN up so far are 2 people from New York so of course ur gonna take their side because they're east coast biased.

u have to be insane if u dont think ESPN is biased. make a poll and watch how much of a blowout it is...
Catering to your audience is not bias. I couldn't care less if people voted that ESPN is biased. Most people are ignorant.

And yes I'm from New York. Rochester, NY. Ain't no where near NYC. And I don't like the Yankees. My favorite teams barely get mentioned on ESPN. But that's not going to blind me and say they're biased against my team.

So very good point there.

redwhitenblue
06-22-2009, 04:15 AM
Catering to your audience is not bias. I couldn't care less if people voted that ESPN is biased. Most people are ignorant.

And yes I'm from New York. Rochester, NY. Ain't no where near NYC. And I don't like the Yankees. My favorite teams barely get mentioned on ESPN. But that's not going to blind me and say they're biased against my team.

So very good point there.
I think you could also say a large percentage of their customers are Cubs fans, Red Sox fans, White Sox fans, Angel fans, Dodger fans, Mets fans, all the big name teams will have a large percentage watching. It doesn't excuse some of the ridiculous coverage the Yankees get.

Hell, the Yankees in a bad season last year got more coverage than probably 4 of the division winners (AL East and the NL Central aside)

Driven
06-22-2009, 04:16 AM
I think you could also say a large percentage of their customers are Cubs fans, Red Sox fans, White Sox fans, Angel fans, Dodger fans, Mets fans, all the big name teams will have a large percentage watching. It doesn't excuse some of the ridiculous coverage the Yankees get.

Hell, the Yankees in a bad season last year got more coverage than probably 4 of the division winners (AL East and the NL Central aside)
And they should. They're the Yankees. They have the largest audience.

Yankees = Ratings. ESPN wants ratings. ESPN is going to show the Yankees a lot.

This is not a hard concept to grasp (I'm not singling you out RedWhitenBlue, just saying that in general).

N.Z's #1 Dodger
06-22-2009, 04:27 AM
I am in no way saying ESPN is actually good. I usually despise them. I thought it was only fair to complement them when I thought they did a pretty good job for once.

t327
06-22-2009, 05:59 AM
I think ESPN, at least the baseball department, caters more to the Red Sox than the Yankees, even if they try and hide it.

Kruk is getting angry with it. Did anyone else hear him ask Steve Berthiume why they were covering the Red Sox game for about 5 minutes when there were at least 10 other games to go? "Bert" is a definite BoSox homer, and having Peter Gammons as your go-to analyst/writer, you can expect to hear and see many Red Sox highlights and homerism.

How far is Bristol from Boston?

ThisIsTheYear
06-22-2009, 07:51 AM
How far is Bristol from Boston?

108 miles.

bartoron
06-22-2009, 08:08 AM
They're obviously biased toward east coast teams, but that's because their main location is in Connecticut. With their new west coast studio, they've started to cater more to west coast teams.

follettsays
06-22-2009, 09:09 AM
ESPN isn't biased. The people that think ESPN is, are wrong.

1 - they put what people want to see. What people don't want to see are the woeful giants etc
2 - also, what people do want to see, and what is on just as much as the Yankees are the Dodgers (anyone that watches ESPN a lot is sick of hearing/seeing/reading about Manny
People also see a hell of a lot about the Lakers etc

If your team is a winning team, if you have a large fan bas and if people want to see highlights then you'll be important to ESPN.

You never see the nationals on TV and they are east coast, or Marlins etc

cantstopthee
06-22-2009, 09:19 AM
the west coast is idn you guys watch your football at 9 am,there is far more people in the east,they have to give more attention to the east

Pinstripe pride
06-22-2009, 09:25 AM
its very simple. ESPN puts on what people want to see. If ratings are high when the nationals play, they'd put on the nationals. Its not ESPN's fault the people who want to see the yankees and red sox vastly out number those wanting to see the giantd and angels.

J-Loco
06-22-2009, 09:51 AM

That is because the Yankees "bad" season still got them more wins than some of the division winners.

Tragedy
06-22-2009, 12:05 PM
ESPN is a great sports channel. I hate most of the *****ing. You can disagree with their opinions and whatnot, but the fact of the matter is that they show a ton of sports all day. Plus Rome, Around the Horn, PTI and Sportscenter are fantastic midday shows.
PTI: Crap.
Around The Horn: Crap.
Rome: You can't honestly tell me that guy isn't anything about a complete moron.

ESPN BLOWS, basically. This isn't because of east coast bias or the stuff others claim, but simply because they allow ignorant people to analyze the sports. Steve Phillips....Really? I'm suppose to take what he says seriously? The whole channel is a joke. Thankfully MLB Network came around, because I was getting tired of seeing one home run and that being the only clip of each game. Pretty boring.

its very simple. ESPN puts on what people want to see. If ratings are high when the nationals play, they'd put on the nationals. Its not ESPN's fault the people who want to see the yankees and red sox vastly out number those wanting to see the giantd and angels.
A good point. People are so upset about the "east coast bias" but they're not realizing that it's the people who ultimately decide what ESPN is going to air. If the Nationals/Braves game would draw more fans than anything Red Sox or Yankees, they'd put that on instead. That's not the case, though.

kswissdaf
06-22-2009, 12:16 PM
ESPN=LeBron

TragicallyHip
06-22-2009, 12:22 PM
I disagree, I love PTI. Around the Horn does get a little old with Woody Paige blabbering on about God knows what, and only being able to see the underside of Marrioti's chin since his nose is so far up in the air.

TragicallyHip
06-22-2009, 12:24 PM
whitekimbo, you're the ignorant one if you don't think the Yankees have the biggest audience of fans. Why do you think places that can't normally sell out, do just that when teams like the Sox and Yankees roll into town? People want to see them!

Kings of Queens
06-22-2009, 01:22 PM
ESPN doesn't suck. The footage looks really great compared to a lot of broadcasts. What sucks is the commentating. Joe Morgan is terrible, Steve Phillips was a GM for the Mets who failed and some how got a job broadcasting.

Gary, Keith and Ron....all day everyday

iam brett favre
06-22-2009, 01:37 PM
I love ESPN....I was actually going to complain that with 2 outs in the 9th inning Joe Morgan said:
They'd trade an out for a run here. Oh, really joe?

hawksd911
06-22-2009, 01:45 PM
But you have too agree that what channel other then ESPN shows sports 24/7.

pacofunk64
06-22-2009, 01:47 PM
ESPN is biased because the West Coast is...well...:sleep:

degnor
06-22-2009, 01:47 PM
ESPN doesn't suck. The footage looks really great compared to a lot of broadcasts. What sucks is the commentating. Joe Morgan is terrible, Steve Phillips was a GM for the Mets who failed and some how got a job broadcasting.

Gary, Keith and Ron....all day everyday

he failed all the way to picking up david wright and jose reyes...as he makes sure we never forget lol

and, gary, keith and ron are quite possibly the best broadcasters in sports.

pacofunk64
06-22-2009, 01:48 PM
Sorry...fell asleep talking about the West Coast. I know there are some descent teams but I would rather watch a Yankees or Red Sox game any day over any other team besides the Cubs.

ChiMaverick
06-22-2009, 02:20 PM
How bout this for East Coast Bias, when watching ESPN the other week on the Bottom Line it stated on "The Lead" and "AL" segments that "Mark Texiera overtakes Kevin Youkilis in 1st Base All-Star Voting". Why is that of any importance? If Texiera played for the Angels like he did last year that wouldn't have gotten any attention. On another note the only reason why the Dodgers get so much press, other than the fact that they're really good, is because they have ESPN's former Boston Golden Boy in Manny Ramirez. One question, why is Linda Cohn allowed to openly root for the NY Rangers on Sportscenter? I thought they were to be objective and that ESPN doesn't allow that. Anyone else notice that?

theproof
06-22-2009, 03:18 PM
ESPN isn't biased. The people that think ESPN is, are wrong.

1 - they put what people want to see. What people don't want to see are the woeful giants etc
2 - also, what people do want to see, and what is on just as much as the Yankees are the Dodgers (anyone that watches ESPN a lot is sick of hearing/seeing/reading about Manny
People also see a hell of a lot about the Lakers etc

If your team is a winning team, if you have a large fan bas and if people want to see highlights then you'll be important to ESPN.

You never see the nationals on TV and they are east coast, or Marlins etc

You suck and ESPN suck. The MLB network blows ESPN out of the water as far as baseball is concerned and I watch that now. **** ESPN.

poodski
06-22-2009, 03:23 PM
People are biased against ESPN.

AllTheWay
06-22-2009, 03:41 PM
Lol, they obviously have more fans that other teams. Really, only the Red Sox, Dodgers, Cubs and Cardinals are close. And Yankee fans are spread throughout the country. Very popular in the Lain countries too.

See, who's complaining when we had a new Barry Bonds update every 5 seconds a couple years ago? They were going to have a show called "Bonds on Bonds." Now, I'm as sick of hearing about A-Rod as the next guy, but they never gave him his own show. And now I can't go a minute without seeing that stupid shot of Manny Ramirez sitting back in the dugout and smirking like a fool, while they talk about whether or not he has apologized to his teammates. And Terrel Owens? You gonna tell me the Cowboys are an East Coast team? Hell, all factors considered, I think we're hearing less about TO since he moved to the east. Jesus, I'm surprised they didn't get a camera to follow the Cowboys and all their drama last season.

They focus on a lot of annoying topics. Yankees and the Red Sox are just two of the topics. The "East Coast Bias" is mostly nonexistant.

How do the yankees have 'obviously' more fans? Isn't it the Dodgers who are constantly breaking attendance records?

Pinstripe pride
06-22-2009, 03:54 PM
How do the yankees have 'obviously' more fans? Isn't it the Dodgers who are constantly breaking attendance records?

rating don't lie. More people tune in for the yanks than dodgers on a constistant basis. Attendance records don't mean **** for T.V. programming either.

bartoron
06-22-2009, 04:30 PM
PTI: Crap.
Around The Horn: Crap.
Rome: You can't honestly tell me that guy isn't anything about a complete moron.

I agree with you on Jim Rome is Burning, but Around the Horn is decent and Pardon the Interruption is great, or at least it used to be.

The 6-4-3
06-22-2009, 05:02 PM
You suck and ESPN suck. The MLB network blows ESPN out of the water as far as baseball is concerned and I watch that now. **** ESPN.

:clap: this is so so so SO TRUE MLB Network is the best place to watch a well rounded baseball program ESPN it's like OMG BREAKING NEWS David Ortiz hit a HR.
it's ******** already MLB TONIGHT is the way to go now. I get home around 2:30am every day and its the first thing I put on. great announcers/tv personalities and have better overall coverage

TragicallyHip
06-22-2009, 05:24 PM
How bout this for East Coast Bias, when watching ESPN the other week on the Bottom Line it stated on "The Lead" and "AL" segments that "Mark Texiera overtakes Kevin Youkilis in 1st Base All-Star Voting". Why is that of any importance? If Texiera played for the Angels like he did last year that wouldn't have gotten any attention. On another note the only reason why the Dodgers get so much press, other than the fact that they're really good, is because they have ESPN's former Boston Golden Boy in Manny Ramirez. One question, why is Linda Cohn allowed to openly root for the NY Rangers on Sportscenter? I thought they were to be objective and that ESPN doesn't allow that. Anyone else notice that?

It wouldn't have happened if he didn't have the loads of Yankees fans voting for him.

djeller1139
06-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Sorry...fell asleep talking about the West Coast. I know there are some descent teams but I would rather watch a Yankees or Red Sox game any day over any other team besides the Cubs.

You live in Iowa, we wouldn't expect much more out of you.

LetsGoA's
06-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Espn has been bias towards the east coast for along time

SFGiants4life
06-22-2009, 08:08 PM
If your watching the Cardinals/Mets game you get to hear Phillips talk about himself as ex-Met GM....no one wants to hear it............

bringbackfredex
06-22-2009, 08:08 PM
and, gary, keith and ron are quite possibly the best broadcasters in sports.

That might have been the funniest thing I've read all day, thanks for the laughs. The best broadcasters in sports? All they do is conduct a circle jerk every night to the Mets...

SeoulBeatz
06-22-2009, 08:29 PM
i dont have a problem with ESPN because it is what it is.

they show the Yankees, Redsox, Cowboys, Patriots, Lebrons, Kobes all the time because thats what people "want to see" apparently.

Not us sports geeks who post on forums, but the average bandwagon fans that make up 90% of their viewers. They obviously arent going to show much on ****** teams because no one wants to see that besides that particular city.

it makes sense, it cant be evenly divided because some stories are hotter than others, thats just the way it is. so all this *****ing is nonsense.

if u dont like it, dont watch, go to ur local sports channel.

its just like the radio. its ******, but its the mainstream and it pertains to what the MAJORITY wants.

same as espn, its just like mainstream radio.

bosox3431
06-22-2009, 08:34 PM

Is that why since 2002 the Yankees have had 200k to 400k more in attendence then the Dodgers?

iam brett favre
06-22-2009, 11:05 PM
Most people hate ESPN, just to hate it. I guarantee 99% of the people that claim its so terrible really do watch it all of the time.

degnor
06-23-2009, 02:04 AM
That might have been the funniest thing I've read all day, thanks for the laughs. The best broadcasters in sports? All they do is conduct a circle jerk every night to the Mets...

I was obviously exaggerating, but I'm glad you took me seriously.

I do enjoy listening to them, and they are recognized as some of the best in the business by others (Ron Darling won an Emmy for "Best Sports Analyst"). But, I guess you're arguing that a team's personal broadcasters are going to be neutral? hahaha, EVERY team's broadcasters are going to be biased. That's why everyone prefers their own, usually. I could care less if you didn't like my broadcasters, but please back it up with something other than they are biased, because that's not a knock on them, since they are paid to be biased. All regional broadcasters are.

degnor
06-23-2009, 02:05 AM
Is that why since 2002 the Yankees have had 200k to 400k more in attendence then the Dodgers?

be careful, he might be allergic to actual facts.

degnor
06-23-2009, 02:10 AM
Most people hate ESPN, just to hate it. I guarantee 99% of the people that claim its so terrible really do watch it all of the time.

I agree. It's the "cool" thing to do, especially if you're a west coast fan. Complain your team doesn't get enough coverage, then point out that Bristol is in New England. Because where the station used to broadcast from obviously impacted its content :rolleyes:

thefeckcampaign
06-23-2009, 08:23 AM
ESPN takes a lot of heat from people on here, and while some of it is deserved, people rarely point out the stuff they do right. They really aren't all that bad, and they do a decent job of telling you what's going on. They're at their best when they aren't taking themselves seriously (the This is SportsCenter commercials are usually worth watching) and they're worst when they are (honestly, I couldn't care less what Barack Obama's NCAA bracket was, and I will fight anyone who did care). Some of their writers are crap, but then again, some are pretty talented. I'm a big fan of PTI and Around the Horn too, but Jim Rome just annoys me...he's too smugGreat description! I feel the same about that guy. I hate the way he repeats things over and over again. I also cannot stand his gangsta talk for being so suburbia.

I think people need to remember ESPN changed the entire industry on how we view sports. I think a lot of the younger generation doesn't remember is how groundbreaking they really were. A 24 hour a day Sports Channel! The concept was unreal for the time. The whole fact they had an entire news program (Sports Center) dedicated to just sports which was once a 5 minute blip in a 30 minute news program is unbelievable.

Pinstripe pride
06-23-2009, 08:46 AM
If your watching the Cardinals/Mets game you get to hear Phillips talk about himself as ex-Met GM....no one wants to hear it............

funny how he seems to leave out that he was God awful at his job.........

degnor
06-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Great description! I feel the same about that guy. I hate the way he repeats things over and over again. I also cannot stand his gangsta talk for being so suburbia.

amazing impersonation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFg4mtJMlmU&feature=channel_page