PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland turns down Kaman for Wallace trade?

RaysFan
06-21-2009, 10:40 PM
Bucher said that Cleveland and the Clippers had a deal that would send Wallace (maybe fillers) to LA for Kaman and fillers but Cleveland turned decided to back-off from the deal. If true then that is interesting. Kaman for essentially nothing would be a solid deal for Cleveland. I wonder if they have something better in the works?

DerekRE_3
06-21-2009, 10:41 PM
needs a link.

FaceDown91
06-21-2009, 10:44 PM
link or we don't believe you.

RaysFan
06-21-2009, 10:49 PM
http://twitter.com/RicBucher

Bucher tweeted it.

IndyRealist
06-21-2009, 10:54 PM
@misterjpmanahan Clips were confident they had a Kaman deal 48 hrs ago. That changed last night. Camby to OKC is still out there right now.
3:10 PM Jun 20th from web in reply to misterjpmanahan

@misterjpmanahan Trying like heck to move one of their bigs, Kaman or Camby. (Moving Zach just beyond possibility.) Cutting costs everywhere
11:17 PM Jun 19th from web in reply to misterjpmanahan

That's the only references to Kaman I could find.

Edit: I hate Twitter.

RaysFan
06-21-2009, 11:00 PM
Look up a bit from where he first mentioned Kaman. He said that the deal was for something similar to what Cleveland was offering for Shaq.

These are all responses to questions so it is hard to follow along when you don't see a question there.

PurpleJesus
06-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Ben Wallace has 14 million coming off the books after this season, I'm sure the Cavs want that money to either help re-sign Lebron if he isnt re-signed by then, or use it to entice a top tier FA to side kick with Lebron

griffyatl
06-21-2009, 11:06 PM
I really don't see that happening especially Cleveland turning it down because Kaman would instantly be the second best player on that team. The Clippers aren't stupid just dumb they wouldn't trade a Center with that kind of value when they have to play the Lakers and their two 7'0 centers 6'10 PF in Odom. Kaman would be a valued player on any team probably one of the top 6 centers in the game. If anyone rejected that deal it would be the Clippers.

bball1217
06-21-2009, 11:07 PM
Maybe they still think they can get Shaq

nikefreek220
06-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Cavs want to pull of a HUGE deal not just a good deal. They want to try to impress LeBron. Kaman wouldnt be a guy LeBron would be WOW'ed over. And if you trade Wallace, thats the biggest trading piece you have so that would limit any other trade your going to try to make.

Catfish1314
06-21-2009, 11:20 PM
Kaman was the 3rd best center in the league in 07-08. And he's still only 27 or 28. If this is true, then it's good news for Cavs fans. It has to mean they have something better on the table for Wallace or are convinced they can get something better for him.

jacquewho?
06-21-2009, 11:25 PM
You gotta hope the Cavs FO does this. It would be such a good move for them, and remember Kaman was one of the top centers in the league not too long ago. I expect him to return to form this season. Wallace's expiring is a very attractive commodity, and with a lot of long-term contracts on LA Clippers, this doesn't surprise me that they are trying to relieve themselves of some cap.

IndyRealist
06-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Kaman makes $10.4M, Wallace makes $14M. Cleveland would have to take back Ricky Davis or Mardy Collins to make the trade work (I assume LAC woudn't give up Eric Gordon, Al Thorton, or DeAndre Jordan). I'm guessing Cleveland nixed the deal.

I don't know why the Clips would do this though, I get that they're shedding salary and will have $40M tied up in 4 frontcourt players (Kaman, Randolph, Camby, and Blake), but they could just dump Kaman onto someone under the cap like the Pistons for just a draft pick. I'd think Detriot would do it in a heartbeat. The Clips would be out from under the salary THIS year instead of next year.

NBA_Starter
06-21-2009, 11:30 PM
They better have a better deal in place.:cry:

RaysFan
06-21-2009, 11:33 PM
If this is true, and Cleveland really did turn it down, I wonder if the Carlos Boozer rumors have any truth to them? Brian Windhorst (one of the best beat writers in the NBA--works for Cleveland's newspaper) reported that the Cavs really wanted to find a way to get Boozer in a sign and trade with Utah. He also reported that Utah was open to the idea if Cleveland could find a decent fit from another team.

Maybe something like Ben Wallace/JJ Hickson to Milwaukee, Richard Jefferson, Cleveland's 2010 1st rounder to Utah, and Boozer to Cleveland could work? Cleveland could give Utah Pavlovic's non-guaranteed deal in return for Matt Harpring, thus saving Utah $6 million in the process as well.

IndyRealist
06-21-2009, 11:40 PM
Atlanta, Detriot, and Minnesota are the three teams who could use Kaman and are under the cap far enough to take Kaman for just a draft pick. For Atlanta, Horford would move to his natural PF spot and Josh Smith would move to SF. Minnesota would move Al Jefferson to PF. Detriot has an opening at C.

goku
06-21-2009, 11:43 PM
if they did turn it down cleveland is stupid kaman is much better than big-z plus kaman is a low post scorer i actually thought thats who they should have been trying to get

kaman
lebron
williams

LaKeRsSuCk323
06-21-2009, 11:44 PM
Thank god the Clips did'nt go for this..

I think the Clips will get a better deal soon.

Well . . i hope so. LoL

were getting Blake Griffin baby! :clap:

#1Mavericksfan
06-21-2009, 11:47 PM
I guess they still think they can get Shaq...if the Cavs would have got Kamen he would have been in a suit for most of the season.

joeboow90
06-22-2009, 12:03 AM
they prolly turned it down because they want to get some1 better with Ben Wallace's contract since thats basically the only chip they have to trade. i just wonder who theyre trying to get ?

Kakaroach
06-22-2009, 12:03 AM
Bad move for the Cavs if they actually turned this one down. They must really be set in trying to get Shaq to team up with LeBron. Perhaps a little of "putting all your eggs in one basket"?

Patrick Swayze
06-22-2009, 12:10 AM
One question. Why?

They have to be working on something else. Nothing else makes sense.

GREATNESS ONE
06-22-2009, 12:15 AM
Ben Wallace has 14 million coming off the books after this season, I'm sure the Cavs want that money to either help re-sign Lebron if he isnt re-signed by then, or use it to entice a top tier FA to side kick with Lebron

That is exactly the case.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-22-2009, 08:49 AM
Cleveland should be accepting these trades.

They could have gotten Dhaq for Wally and Pavlovic.

Now they have Kaman for Wallace in their hands.

They should accept it if they ever want to win a title.

Lo Porto
06-22-2009, 09:27 AM
If this is true, and Cleveland really did turn it down, I wonder if the Carlos Boozer rumors have any truth to them? Brian Windhorst (one of the best beat writers in the NBA--works for Cleveland's newspaper) reported that the Cavs really wanted to find a way to get Boozer in a sign and trade with Utah. He also reported that Utah was open to the idea if Cleveland could find a decent fit from another team.

Maybe something like Ben Wallace/JJ Hickson to Milwaukee, Richard Jefferson, Cleveland's 2010 1st rounder to Utah, and Boozer to Cleveland could work? Cleveland could give Utah Pavlovic's non-guaranteed deal in return for Matt Harpring, thus saving Utah $6 million in the process as well.

As a Jazz fan, I'd be interested in that deal. I'm not so sure Richard Jefferson would solve all of our issues, but at least Utah would save money and get something for Boozer. If Utah let's Boozer go, then they've got to take some good salary relief in return. This trade idea addresses that. I love Booz, but it would be nice to see him head back to Cleveland after that rumor-filled falling out a few years back.

Carey
06-22-2009, 09:29 AM
Kaman is still owed alot of money over the next few years, they didnt want to be on the hook for a injury prone center, why do u think the clippers were willing to give him away for free?

JordansBulls
06-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Cavs need to get Vince Carter and Rasheed or just go after Shaq and they are set.

Chronz
06-22-2009, 02:20 PM
Im not sure how I feel about these trades, what team benefits, is it really a bad fit for either of these clubs?

fresh prince
06-22-2009, 02:35 PM
What's with the "they must be getting Shaq" talk

Kaman> Shaq at everything (except tweeting and eating) and hes 10 years younger!

ottograham14
06-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Does anybody have a different source than Tweeter with Ric Bucher. I have not heard anything about this from rotoworld, hoopshype or anything. I would love a source though.

Commenting on the trade though if there is any truth to it, Cleveland might believe that they can get something better from Wallace's contract than an injury prone center like Kaman that is due 10-12 million up until 2011-2012. Like someone said earlier I dont think LeBron would be that impressed with just gettin Kaman. Yes if he returned back to form from 06-07 when he was a dominant low post player then it might make sense. Yes too you could say get something now while you can for Wallace's contract and Pavs, but it just seems like you can get something better while Kaman is a big what "if". I think these days if you want a team to take on a injury prone player that is locked up in that much money for that long you better be willing to trade a young player in return such as DeAndre Jordan to go with it.

Just saying though as a Cavs fan I am glad that they turned this down. I like the Boozer move that someone mentioned earlier and even would like the Shaq move more than this since at least his contract will be up next year.

juggla53
06-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Cleveland probabley isnt trying to trade they're best trade chip, they obviously have other deals brewing

mrblisterdundee
06-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Chris Kaman is a solid center, but I think Cleveland needs a banging power forward more. The fact that they already have two centers (Ilgauskas and Verejao) is probably why they didn't pick up a third.

Lakers4ItAll
06-22-2009, 03:06 PM
Kaman is solid the Cavs should get him

EastCoastBaller
06-22-2009, 03:08 PM
I hate Twitter... Everyone talks about Twitter is not even that great.