PDA

View Full Version : Lakers Fan/Clippers Fan

MVMarauder
06-21-2009, 07:55 PM
What determines whether you are a Clippers fan or a Lakers fan? If you are a Clippers fan what made you a Clippers fan? I have alwasy been wondering.

Jays Claw
06-21-2009, 08:05 PM
I think this question is directed to the people who live in Los Angeles.

Beno7500
06-21-2009, 08:07 PM
they pick lakers because you dont wanna be a clippers fan

hockeypro68
06-21-2009, 08:19 PM
I like both teams. But I like the Clippers more by far. Clippers are my favorite team. Have been since the days of Sam Cassell and Elton Brand. I like many teams more than the Lakers. I'm a big fan of NBA basketball in general. Cavs, Grizzlies, Knicks among others.

_KB24_
06-21-2009, 08:27 PM
I live in LA and EVERYONE is a Lakers fan, but we still support the Clippers. They will always be our "little brother" and we got their back.

DerekRE_3
06-21-2009, 08:35 PM
I think there's a pretty clear reason why a lot of people choose to be Laker fans over Clipper fans...

nikefreek220
06-21-2009, 08:35 PM
I root for the Lakers since i live in the area, but if it comes down to rooting for the Clippers im all for it. Its like a love hate relationship with the Clips.

lakers4sho
06-21-2009, 08:57 PM
I love Clipper fans and their passion for their team even though the management is screwing up their franchise big time.

I love how they always find reasons to believe that they're a 60 win team each and every season. That's what being a true fan is IMO.

AccUrSeD
06-21-2009, 09:47 PM
I root for the Lakers since i live in the area, but if it comes down to rooting for the Clippers im all for it. Its like a love hate relationship with the Clips.

you live in the lakers area? doesn't that mean you live the clippers area too?

bahama0811
06-21-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm sure it really all depends on if you want to follow a winner or not. Or maybe they just like the colors better.

chitownbulls
06-21-2009, 09:58 PM
wow LA fans like both teams, while in Chicago baseball we wanna destroy each other.

lakers4sho
06-21-2009, 10:00 PM
wow LA fans like both teams, while in Chicago baseball we wanna destroy each other.

Well you gotta feel for the Clippers and their franchise :o

nikefreek220
06-21-2009, 10:17 PM
you live in the lakers area? doesn't that mean you live the clippers area too?

well i choose to root for the Lakers as my #1 team. I was giving a reason why im a Laker fan to start off with.

nikefreek220
06-21-2009, 10:20 PM

well its different, because Chicago baseball is like 2 competitive athletic brothers going at each other.

In L.A its like 1 competitive athletic stud brother going against its new born baby brother .

AllTheWay
06-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Or ******** baby brother...

But yeah I have no problems with the clippers succedding. If the Lakers don't win the ship I would much rather have the clippers win it than anyone else.

But yeah, Lakers first by far. You gotta give it to the few clipper fans though, bad year in and year out. Im barely getting a taste of that with my rams being so horrible recently.

xabial
06-21-2009, 10:43 PM
In 3 years threads like this will be insignificant because of Blake Griffin..
I hope...

airforceones25
06-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Clips fan hands down!.. First off I'm young and when I really started following the game closely I became enamored with the fun play of Darius Miles and Quentin Richardson.. Young guys looking like they were having fun doing their little head tap nonsense. I felt like I can relate. Shortly there after I learned how bad we really were. With are ***** hole owner and GM at the time. Times haven't been good in Clipper Nation since the brief playoff run with Alien Clone Sam Cassel and a pre-injury Elton Brand but hopefully things will be promising in the near future. Then again Mr. Baylor is still in charge.... Wish I could just buy the damn team and do things different. LOL Anyway you look at it. I believe in MAN LAWS and clearly all you full figured couch sitting lard @$$ pansies need to get with it! Stick to your ONE team for whatever reason it be and support them to the end no matter how ****** they are. Be a true fan! I'm tired of all you fake southern california front runners! OUT!

GO CLIPSSSSS BEYOTCH!!!!! :D

clipsedya
06-22-2009, 12:36 AM
When I moved to cali, the Lakers were so dominant with Shaq/Kobe and their supporting cast. Plus I had a super annoying roommate who was on my nerves through the multiple series that LA got through. I remember a tight series with the Mavericks when they had Van Exel and Nash.........Anyways, my roommates antics made me hate the Lakers with a passion!! And I really felt like the Lakers were getting favored by the refs that year. Would've been '01/'02.

Clippers had a nice young squad and I could watch all of their games. So I started following them more and more. The internet has been a great way for me to keep up-to-date on any possible moves or rumors.

Now through all of the jokes and wise cracks, I always see potential. This year we have to do a serious facelift by getting some new players or at least developing a new attitude in the locker room. We need to get past this losing slump.

I'm confident though. I'm putting $200 on them winning the whole thing this year!!! The odds are 100:1. I'm gonna be rich!!!

ElMarroAfamado
06-22-2009, 01:00 AM
some of these responses give you an idea why and its pathetic....
it is all associated with people bandwagoning the Lakers just because they WIN ...
not liking the Clippers because they lose is dumb...

i am a Clippers fan first and foremost and my second team is the Lakers....
i say "we" when speaking of the CLippers.....and i have followed them for a long while i have been watching them since lamar odom was a rookie and i dont know i just fell in love with their style and the excitment was at its peak with d miles, Q, lamar odom....jeff mciniss (or however you spell it)

andi dont like them to be "different" i just do...
i am sure a large percentage of Lakers fans would follow the Clippers if it were "cool" too....but since its not they dont ....

championships
06-22-2009, 01:24 AM
I didn't choose to be a Laker fan I was pretty much born that way. My father is a big Laker fan and so was my grandfather (RIP). I grew up watching and going to Laker games since I was a baby. I didn't choose the Lakers cause they win more. Same can go for the teams in other sports I am a fan of. I even have tatoos of my teams. Just born and breed I guess.

iluvsports2much
06-22-2009, 02:16 AM
my gramps was raised in minneapolis and he moved to los angeles almost jus so he could be around the lakers,he raised my dad up a laker fan and even tho i never really knew my dad,i kinda followed him in being a laker fan also...but now that i live in LA i jus rep LA,so i still root for the clips,jus not when their playin the lakers..it mite sound kinda weird,but i was waaay happy the clips got the first pick in the draft..lol

GoatMilk
06-22-2009, 02:23 AM
well for me it's because my family.
my dad has always been a laker fan before the clips moved to L.A.
when they did move, the Lakers were still winning so why would you switch? especially if thats been your team?

Clippers have been bad their whole tenure in L.A. so my dad never paid attention to them when i was growing up. when i finally started to watch basketball, it was lakers.

i dont hate the clippers though, but i wont die if they lose like i would for the lakers

albertc86
06-22-2009, 02:30 AM
The Clippers are Los Angeles' JV team. I still support them but they're not the most exciting team to watch. Not to mention, I can't stand their commentators. I don't think I'd go to a Clippers game unless they were playing against a great team.

Chronz
06-22-2009, 02:31 AM
To answer the question most Clippers fans I know became so because they didnt want to follow the in crowd, its sad but true. Now most DIE-HARD Clipper fans I know fell for the team because they either related to them in some way (theyve had some pretty admirable workmenlike players over the years), or because they were the cheap ticket in town, and offered some much welcomed entertainment. You can build a successful franchise here in LA even if your ****.

I think there's a pretty clear reason why a lot of people choose to be Laker fans over Clipper fans...
Shallowness?

Cracka2HI!
06-22-2009, 02:42 AM
I live in LA and EVERYONE is a Lakers fan, but we still support the Clippers. They will always be our "little brother" and we got their back.

This theory will finally be tested when Eric Gordon and Blake Griffin are in their primes. What happens when the Clipps are better? My guess is that the Clippers bandwagon is full.

Cracka2HI!
06-22-2009, 02:46 AM
To answer the question most Clippers fans I know became so because they didnt want to follow the in crowd, its sad but true. Now most DIE-HARD Clipper fans I know fell for the team because they either related to them in some way (theyve had some pretty admirable workmenlike players over the years), or because they were the cheap ticket in town, and offered some much welcomed entertainment. You can build a successful franchise here in LA even if your ****.

Shallowness?

Yea for what its worth I was a Laker fan until I got my license and started getting tickets for $5 for Clipper games at the Sports Arena.

Mudvayne91
06-22-2009, 03:04 AM
Well you gotta feel for the Clippers and their franchise :o

Couldn't you somewhat make the same comparison with White Sox feeling for the Cubs not winning in over 100 years? Although I think the ownership is far better for the Cubs.

ragee
06-22-2009, 03:57 AM
Kobe Bryant... As long as he is in a Laker uniform, there is no way I am going to be a Laker fan... Even if I like Ariza and Bynum... Even if the Lakers are so good... Even if I live in LA...

Chronz
06-22-2009, 03:59 AM
Yea for what its worth I was a Laker fan until I got my license and started getting tickets for $5 for Clipper games at the Sports Arena.

I never really hated the Lakers, they only got on my bad side with how badly they handled the Shaq situation and how they let a dynasty slip within their grasp

Kyle N.
06-22-2009, 12:18 PM
If I moved to LA, I would start supporting the Clippers. Otherwise, you just pick a team you like and stick with them. Most of the time people take the teams that are good. I won't lie, when I started watching the Kings they were really good and stayed good for years. Just recently they've dropped clear off but I'll always (probably) stick with them.

lakers4sho
06-22-2009, 12:29 PM
I never really hated the Lakers, they only got on my bad side with how badly they handled the Shaq situation and how they let a dynasty slip within their grasp

I thought Mr. Buss handled it just fine. We weren't gonna win anymore championships with that squad anyways. A lot of our guys were on the verge of retirement. We had to start on a new page.

There's no way he's gonna spend max money on a fat *** lazy bum who don't even stay in shape during the offseason. Good decision by Mr. Buss IMO.

Because at that time it was either Shaq or Kobe, he couldn't spend max money on both. Just imagine if he chose Shaq.

ALQ20
06-22-2009, 12:53 PM

wow...u were a laker fan first...but u saw a sign that said "Clippers tickets: $5"...and u converted? what a FAN...well, at least you get what you pay for.

surprised you're not an Angels baseball fan....i think their ticket prices are cheaper too.

king4day
06-22-2009, 01:00 PM
A lot of people might prefer to root for the underdogs.
If you are just getting into basketball, being a Lakers fan is just a trendy pick. They are successfull and more fun to watch.
But emotionally, as a fan, if you start as a Clips fan, the payoff would be far greater if they ever win it all.

king4day
06-22-2009, 01:02 PM
wow...u were a laker fan first...but u saw a sign that said "Clippers tickets: $5"...and u converted? what a FAN...well, at least you get what you pay for.

surprised you're not an Angels baseball fan....i think their ticket prices are cheaper too.

At least no one can say he jumped on the Clips bandwagon since you technically can't do that.

ALQ20
06-22-2009, 01:11 PM
At least no one can say he jumped on the Clips bandwagon since you technically can't do that.

which makes it even more mind-boggling....

Lakers4ItAll
06-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Being a Clippers fan is like being a Cubs fan it must suck since they never win!

still1ballin
06-22-2009, 01:44 PM
My dad / family has always been a Laker fan and I just followed on. Been a Laker fan since they traded for Kobe in 96.

Chronz
06-22-2009, 02:36 PM
I thought Mr. Buss handled it just fine. We weren't gonna win anymore championships with that squad anyways. A lot of our guys were on the verge of retirement. We had to start on a new page.

There's no way he's gonna spend max money on a fat *** lazy bum who don't even stay in shape during the offseason. Good decision by Mr. Buss IMO.

Because at that time it was either Shaq or Kobe, he couldn't spend max money on both. Just imagine if he chose Shaq.

No offense but I dont trust the opinion of too many Laker fans on their teams managerial side, and Ive never really thought of you as the objective type. First of all, when I talk about the Shaq falling, most of that stems from Kupcakes incompetence in the early going of his stay with the Lakers. The reason you (not entirely true anyways) werent going to win anymore was because of numerous years of off-season mistakes and extensions. The supporting cast died out far too early with Kobe entering his prime.

And its not about choosing, you shouldnt have to choose, the mere fact that you guys also ALMOST lost Kobe speaks volumes about how justifiable it is for superstars to threaten management, simply put it gets **** done. Shaq was asking for too much but the entire situation most likely couldve been handled better. And he could most definitely have spent $ for both, and continued winning, instead he underrated Shaq's impact, missed the playoffs, took years of losing and finally built it back up in time before Kobes legs are completely done. I consider Kobe not having a good team around him those 2 years one of the most unsatisfying aspects of his career. They couldve found a way to get Kobe and Shaq to stay, they were just totally unwilling. Pat Riley revealed as much when they were going to hire him to coach Kobe. He said he would only do it so long as they met the condition to allow Riley to talk to Shaq. They already had their mind set on what they were going to do, and thats stick with Kobe. Im not even gonna touch his part on it, but needless to say in a way, those years of suffering and forcing his way out of LA was just karma.

mrblisterdundee
06-22-2009, 03:10 PM
The Lakers were in Los Angeles first, so most people will root for them. The Clippers moved up from San Diego. They also played in Buffalo. Maybe there are fans from those two areas that moved to Los Angeles, and decided to root for the team that used to play near their previous residences. That's the only reason I can think of.

Personally, I think it would be a good idea to try and move the Clippers back down to San Diego. They'd probably get more attention and respect.