PDA

View Full Version : Upside/Project Players

IndyRealist
06-21-2009, 04:44 PM
I'm curious about the notion of upside. Every year players come into the NBA as "projects" that the team hopes to develop into productive players two to three years down the line. These players are thought to have to potential to be all-stars, but I can't think of any that really made it there.

This year Demar DeRozan is thought to be a top 10 pick, yet he has a horrible jumper and shoots 17% from 3. The Pacers selected Jonathan Bender #5 out of high school in '99 based on his absurd athleticism and shooting prowess. He never averaged more than 7.4ppg and retired after 7 injury plagued years, the last two of which he played a combined 9 games.

So the question is, what project players have your team drafted that actually panned out? (This may or may not exclude international players who are already established stars, like Ginobili. Or it might.)

mikantsass
06-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Kendrick Perkins panned out well. Gerald Green did not.

TYoung21
06-21-2009, 04:50 PM
basically 95% of all international players

D-Leethal
06-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Dirk is a pretty good example. Danilo Gallinari will be a good example in a year or 2

greg_ory_2005
06-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Didn't Raptors draft Bender, then trade him for Antonio Davis?

Shaolin
06-21-2009, 05:11 PM
On the Raptors, Joey Graham.

You could say he panned out because he has the occasional 25 point game. The problem there is that for every good game he has he's got 3 bad ones...

I've been a supporter of Joey in the past, but I think his time has come and gone. I'd like the Raps to trade him off for a second round pick, which would undoubtedly be another project player.

Shaolin
06-21-2009, 05:13 PM
I forgot Travis Outlaw on the Blazers - They've kept that guy around for ages, and he has really come around the last couple of years.

DerekRE_3
06-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Kings
Peja (14th overall) - Panned out. Before he got hurt, averaged 25 PPG and was one of the elite shooters in the NBA.
Hedo (16th overall) - Panned out. Most improved player of the year last season.
Gerald Wallace (25th overall) - Panned out. Backbone of the Charlotte Bobcats.
Kevin Martin - Panned out. Picked out of a very small D1 school and many thought he shouldn't have even been drafted, much less in the 1st round.
Quincy Douby (19th overall) - Bust. Shot the lights out in college and his workout with the Kings. Was always one of the best shooters in practice, but couldn't produce in games.
Spencer Hawes (10th overall)- Panning out so far. Has outproduced the #1 pick and fellow Center in his draft class, Greg Oden, so far in his career and is the same age.

The only bust Petrie has drafted was Quincy Douby, not bad.

KH12
06-21-2009, 05:24 PM
Tyrus Thomas - BUST.

SeoulBeatz
06-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Tyrus Thomas - BUST.

how could u say that!???? ur a bulls fan??????!

i cant remember how many debates i had with other bulls fans about tyrus's potential.

i think he is a FREAK of an athlete thus leading to the amazing plays that he comes up with. But everything else is abysmal.

he doesnt know his strengths and weaknesses and thus may never pan out. he still could cus he's fairly young but the clock is ticking along with his athletic ability (it wont be there forever, the thought of tyrus thomas without athletic ability is almost laughable.)

heyman321
06-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Before this season, I would have said Bargnani was a complete bust, but after the Jermaine O'Neal trade, he's been spectacular, and I expect him to get maybe 18 ppg and 7 rebounds next season. He won't be a superstar for sure, but he'll be near all star caliber level.

Jays Claw
06-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Andrea Bargnani was a project but now he is starting to develop.

Tblaze
06-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Portland:
Travis Outlaw sort of panned out, but yet he struggles from inconsistency
Martell Webster really looked like he was going to have a career year, but his foot injury really hurt him in doing so.

Jermiane O'neal, was also drafted by portland as a project. Only bad thing is, he didn't really pan out till he went to the pacers...

PhillyForLife90
06-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Kwame Brown. :laugh2:

Actually does anybody think he can still pan out or no? I've seen flashes of potential but there's something about him where he just can't stay consistent. Its a shame really.

IndyRealist
06-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Bargnani is actually a very good example. He was a player picked totally on potential, not because of any numbers he had been putting up, collegiate success, etc. And after a few years he's managed to become a solid contributor and key piece of a team.

Westbrook36
06-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Tyrus Thomas - BUST.

No not really..

He puts up solid numbers and he still has alot of room to improve and during a part of the season was 20/10 all day long.

11/6 last season in 27 mins. He's been improving every single year and is still 23/24?