PDA

View Full Version : Rookie of the Year/Cy Young/Most Valuable Player

Swift n Sil3nt
06-21-2009, 01:19 AM
What are the chances that each of these award winners can come from the same team: the St. Louis Cardinals

NL ROY: Colby Rasmus
NL Cy Young: Chris Carpenter
NL MVP: Albert Pujols

Thoughts?
Who would give each guy competition

Ian.
06-21-2009, 01:26 AM
What are the chances that each of these award winners can come from the same team: the St. Louis Cardinals

Thoughts?

RoY:
Pablo Sandoval (is he eligible?)

Cy Young:
Dan Haren (I'm aware of his second half stats)
Tim Lincecum
Chad Billingsley
Matt Cain (Voters love wins.)

MVP: Pujols

J$mo0th_3o5
06-21-2009, 01:38 AM
Where's the love for Josh Johnson?

Ian.
06-21-2009, 01:38 AM

There is none.

GoatMilk
06-21-2009, 01:43 AM
RoY:
Pablo Sandoval (is he eligible?)

I dont think so. I think he barely missed the cut, but i could be wrong

J$mo0th_3o5
06-21-2009, 01:52 AM
There is none.

:(

mise
06-21-2009, 01:54 AM
This is the year Edinson Volquez finally puts it all together and wins the Rookie of the Year.

ps : Sandoval is not eligible or he would be a shoe in)
pps : That's a lot of St Louis love from OP.

GoatMilk
06-21-2009, 02:06 AM
This is the year Edinson Volquez finally puts it all together and wins the Rookie of the Year.

Volquez is no way in hell eligible
he wasnt even eligible last season lol

and what do mean finally puts it together?
he was an all-star last season too

goldenstater
06-21-2009, 02:09 AM
how come sandoval is not eligible again? did he play to many games last year or something?

bravesfan22193
06-21-2009, 02:12 AM
The ROY is so wide open that the recent call ups (McCutcheon, Hanson, etc) are still very much in it. Don''t really think there is a favorite for the award but i agree right now rasmus would win it. CY Young could go to either of the giants (cain, lincecum), Haren, Billingsley, Johan, or Josh Johnson at this point. It's truly wide open and Carpenter is not the favorite right now. I think it'll be an NL West pitcher because they pitch in spacious, pitchers' parks (besides coors) and face very weak lineups regularly. As for MVP it's hard to go against Albert but team success is a huge factor so let's wait and see if the cards make the playoffs

Ian.
06-21-2009, 02:31 AM
I actually still think Tommy Hanson wins it.

yojoe792
06-21-2009, 02:53 AM
American League:
Cy Young: Roy Halladay
MVP: Evan Longoira
ROY: Andrew Bailey

National League:
Cy Young: Tim Lincecum
MVP: Albert Pujols
NL: Pablo Sandoval

DieHardColtsfan
06-21-2009, 02:59 AM
NL CY Young
Dan Haren
Tim Lincecum

NL MVP
Albert Pujols
Prince Fielder

NL ROY
Tommy Hanson

AL CY YOUNG
Roy Halladay
Zach Greinke

AL MVP
Mark Teixiera
Kevin Youkilis

AL ROY
Andrew Bailey

SFGiants4life
06-21-2009, 03:07 AM
Sandoval is not eligible for ROY, i believe he took like 20 too many AB's last year to qualify for this year

GoatMilk
06-21-2009, 03:07 AM
how come sandoval is not eligible again? did he play to many games last year or something?

you have to have had 130 or fewer AB's the year before
Sandoval had 147 AB's last season

RISE ABOVE
06-21-2009, 03:12 AM

He's legit bro.

Giants-49ers-Ws
06-21-2009, 03:33 AM
too bad sandoval aint eligible

whitekimbo
06-21-2009, 03:49 AM

Thoughts?

i was thinkin about the possibility of these 3 doin it too. carp's is dominating, albert is being albert, and colby has really stepped it up lately and is crushing the ball.

im not sure if people know who colby rasmus is so im not sure he'll get the credit he deserves. same with carp, ESPN doesnt talk about him so people arent really hearing about him. (they had a little piece about him but thats it...)

people need to find out who colby is and how good he truly is. people are just choosing most of the young players they know and sandoval is talked about a lot on ESPN because of him falling and other stuff so more people know who he is.

mise
06-21-2009, 04:13 AM
Volquez is no way in hell eligible
he wasnt even eligible last season lol

and what do mean finally puts it together?
he was an all-star last season too

I think you missed my sarchasm.........

(3 voters actually voted for edinson volquez last year for ROY despite him not being eligible. With voters like these, surely the most deserving player wins awards mirite?)

El Caballo 88
06-21-2009, 04:59 AM
American League

RoY - Rick Porcello
CY - Zack Greinke
MVP - Miguel Cabrera

National League

RoY - Andrew McCutchen
CY - Dan Haren
MVP - Albert Pujols

beneddy124
06-21-2009, 06:58 AM
Joe Mauer will be MVP. He has finally added power to his game. .417 BA, 14 HR, and 42 RBI. All this with missing a month of baseball.

Swift n Sil3nt
06-21-2009, 11:56 AM
And yes i am a Cardinals fan, but i was also curious that arguably 3 of the leading candidates are on the Cardinals roster right now.

MVP:
Pujols or Ibanez: Ibanezs injury hurts him

ROY:
Rasmus, McCutchen, Hanson

CY Young:
Carpenter, Johnson, Haren, Lincecum

Kinsm
06-21-2009, 12:09 PM

He played in 4/5 too many games last year to qualify.

natepro
06-21-2009, 12:17 PM
As for MVP it's hard to go against Albert but team success is a huge factor so let's wait and see if the cards make the playoffs

Why are we waiting for that again? He won it last year and the Cardinals didn't make the playoffs.

natepro
06-21-2009, 12:19 PM
MVP:
Pujols or Ibanez: Ibanezs injury hurts him

Ignore Ibanez injury, because he will come back from that and in September it'll just be a distant memory. Instead, pay attention to the fact that Pujols' numbers are better, and Ibanez was playing way over his head.

Kinsm
06-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Brian Barden from STL and Gerardo Parra from AZ have won the NL Rookie of the month honors thus far this year. (Scott Richmond TOR / Rick Porcello DET from the AL)

C Ryan Hanigan of the Reds actually leads NL rookies in AVG., OBP, and OPS.

Rasmus is still the leading candidate though, alot of that due to the amount of AB's he has in comparison to other candidates.

SportsFan1988
06-21-2009, 02:10 PM
If Carp stay healthy for the rest of the year and continues to pitch at this rate, all 3 Cardinals have great chances at winning those respected awards.

detroitsports22
06-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Who is this Andrew Bailey? He has a better shot at ROY than Rick Porcello?

Pinstripe pride
06-22-2009, 10:04 AM

you are aware you have to be a ROOKIE to win rookie of the year right?

hammerinhank
06-22-2009, 10:50 AM
American League:
Cy Young: Justin Verlander
MVP: Mark Teixiera
ROY: Andrew Bailey

National League:
Cy Young: Matt Cain
ROY: Tommy Hanson

rockthered19
06-22-2009, 11:25 AM
what about Nolan Reimold for ROY he has the best average in the AL for rookies(.287), most homeruns in the MLB for rookies(8), and most RBI's of any rookie in the AL(17). He also leads all rookies in Slugging(.546), OBP(.369), and OPS(.915). He's a non qualifier for the last 3 categories but still he has to be a leading candidate for ROY in the AL when he's leading in those categories.

feeltheheatrays
06-22-2009, 11:34 AM
you talk about 3 cardinals could win it in the NL but what about 3 Tigers winning in the AL.

AL RoY: Rick Porcello
AL Cy: Justin Verlander
AL MVP: Miguel Cabrera

Longshot but it has just as much of a chance as the CArdinals doing it

AdamJones=God
06-22-2009, 11:53 AM
No love for Nolan Reimold. Absolutely ridiculous

NL

ROY: Tommy Hanson
Cy Young: Dan Haren

AL

ROY: Nolan Reimold
CY Young: Roy Halladay
MVP: Justin Morneau

winchester
06-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Andrew Bailey has been a stud...CL on the A's. And speaking of, if Vin Mazzaro keeps pitching like he has then he is a lock for ROY. As to Porcello, while he is great:
"Two scouts watching Oakland's Vin Mazzaro on Thursday agreed that they think he is "a young Chris Carpenter." One added, "I love Rick Porcello, but Mazzaro is the best young pitcher in the American League.""

- That came from Peter Gammons blog.
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=gammons_peter&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fesp n%2fblog%2findex%3fname%3dgammons_peter

Either way, I'm guessing an Oakland A wins ROY, be it Bailey or Mazzaro

AdamJones=God
06-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Andrew Bailey has been a stud...CL on the A's. And speaking of, if Vin Mazzaro keeps pitching like he has then he is a lock for ROY. As to Porcello, while he is great:
"Two scouts watching Oakland's Vin Mazzaro on Thursday agreed that they think he is "a young Chris Carpenter." One added, "I love Rick Porcello, but Mazzaro is the best young pitcher in the American League.""

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=gammons_peter&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fesp n%2fblog%2findex%3fname%3dgammons_peter

Its hard for a good hitter to beat a good pitcher, but Reimold is leading all AL rookies in AVG, HR's, and RBI's. And didnt get called up until May. With around 10 HR's already. Definately deserves votes

mnrlgry
06-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Pujols and Rasmus are the leaders for the mvp/roy. If Carp continues to pitch like he has he'll win it, but it'll take continued dominance because of the few weeks he missed, otherwise he'd be the cy young leader as well

toosmooth899
06-22-2009, 01:35 PM
AL ROY- A. Bailey
Cy- Greinke
MVP- Teixera

NL ROY- ?
Cy- Johan
MVP- Pujols

NYsportsGuru
06-22-2009, 01:36 PM
I'm not sure if this is going to happen, but it sure as hell would be something.
And yes, it is possible.
Carp just needs to stay healthy and get those inning up, and it could become a realistic possibility.

NYsportsGuru
06-22-2009, 01:37 PM
Pujols and Rasmus are the leaders for the mvp/roy. If Carp continues to pitch like he has he'll win it, but it'll take continued dominance because of the few weeks he missed, otherwise he'd be the cy young leader as well

Couldn't have said it better myself. ;)

winchester
06-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Reimold does have some good stats but Mazzaro has been insane. If he can keep up that level of production its a no brainer. Granted, that will be very hard for him to do after teams have seem him a couple times.

Baliey Reimold and Mazzaro could make a good race for ROY

cwilson21
06-22-2009, 02:17 PM

So he's going to be a ****** pitcher until he goes to the National League?