PDA

View Full Version : Why won't fighters quit??

drobe86
06-20-2009, 04:34 PM
It's saturday afternoon and I am bored out of my mind and watching a classic Holyfield fight. Holyfield is my favorite Heavyweight of all time, and it pains me to watch him fight today because he has diminished so bad I mean he is awful..... Why do great fighters tarnish their legacies by continuing to fight?? I mean look at Ali, Larry Holmes, Holyfield, Duran, Julio Cesar Chavez. These are some of the all time greats who at the end of their careers just kept fighting and kept LOSING. Why??? Roy Jones and BHOP need to quit too... Is it the money? These guys cannot possibly think that they are still any good. This is why I have alot of respect for guys like Marciano, Calzaghe, Lennox Lewis, Marvin Hagler........ These guys knew the end was near and didn't tarnish their legacies. I hate these comebacks they are bad for boxing, especially when they get punished in a comeback fight...... Just want to know what are your thoughts?

H.E.R.
06-20-2009, 04:49 PM
It's saturday afternoon and I am bored out of my mind and watching a classic Holyfield fight. Holyfield is my favorite Heavyweight of all time, and it pains me to watch him fight today because he has diminished so bad I mean he is awful..... Why do great fighters tarnish their legacies by continuing to fight?? I mean look at Ali, Larry Holmes, Holyfield, Duran, Julio Cesar Chavez. These are some of the all time greats who at the end of their careers just kept fighting and kept LOSING. Why??? Roy Jones and BHOP need to quit too... Is it the money? These guys cannot possibly think that they are still any good. This is why I have alot of respect for guys like Marciano, Calzaghe, Lennox Lewis, Marvin Hagler........ These guys knew the end was near and didn't tarnish their legacies. I hate these comebacks they are bad for boxing, especially when they get punished in a comeback fight...... Just want to know what are your thoughts?

Well in Marciano's and Lewis's case, it's really just a question of finding anymore competition. In a lot of boxers' cases, it's about money and trying to cement their legacy. A lot of boxers like Holyfield, Tyson, Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, in retirement went into severe debt due to the IRS, child support, court cases. Some say Mayweather came back so quickly due to his IRS problems. Some guys want to do something incredible one last time and very few have succeeded in doing that (Off the top of my head, Foreman). And if you're not being showcased with endorsements well after retirement, boxing's the only thing left that will pay the bills.

From some of those names mentioned, it's not like many of them damaged their legacies to oblivion. Ali is still ranked as the best heavyweight ever on many lists, Holyfield is ranked the best cruiserweight on many lists and high on many heavyweight lists, Duran is considered to be at least a Top 7 fighter all time, and Chavez is still considered to be the greatest Mexican boxer ever and that's saying a lot with Mexico's great boxing history.

I still don't think you could fault Hopkins for fighting. He still fights at a very high level at 42.

Mwizards23
06-20-2009, 10:24 PM
the reason is they dont want to leave a sport they love they have passion and want to cement themselves in it and sometimes that clouds their judgement

lakers4sho
06-21-2009, 03:06 AM
You keep fighting until you keep losing :shrug:

Mwizards23
06-21-2009, 10:08 PM
and plus some of them still got it like hopkins

jetsforever
06-22-2009, 10:58 PM
and plus some of them still got it like hopkins

Hopkins proved to me he still had it when he murdered pavlik...

Hagler retired because he was just angry about his lose to Sugar Ray Leonard (great great fight) and because he thought he won.

Mwizards23
06-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Hopkins proved to me he still had it when he murdered pavlik...

Hagler retired because he was just angry about his lose to Sugar Ray Leonard (great great fight) and because he thought he won.

YEA FUKD UP THOU THAT HE AINT GET THE TITLE MATCH pAVLIK BETTER HOPE NO ONE HAS SEEN THE FIGHT AND COPY THAT HOPKINS STYLE CAUSE IF THEY DO THATS HIS BELT