PDA

View Full Version : Would you hate on Wally?

Hellcrooner
06-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Last year the decision of Kris Kaman to play for Germany created some controversy since he used a german grandfather as his reason to do it, even his own father critizised him for representing another country.

Yesterday on teh Radio Ne Spanish National Team coach hinted he would be interested in Talking Wally Scerbiack ( born in Madrid, Spain and so a Spanish citizen on all right) into playign with spain this Summer.

If he accepted would you critizise him as Kaman or is a different scenario?

HammerHead1
06-20-2009, 04:52 PM
It would be funny if he tried out, but then wasnt good enough anyway. I dont know how the Americans see it, nor did I know how you lot felt when Kaman switched to Germany.

It could be a problem to USA if he joined them and added something new to a good Spanish team.

GoatMilk
06-20-2009, 04:54 PM
omg another Spanish thread!?

but to answer, i think he'd be criticized just the same. maybe a little less, but he'd still get criticized

HammerHead1
06-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Question about USA basketball, how does the selection work and who chooses it? Ive seen various videos with various NBA players ranging from Tyson Chandler and Bruce Bowen. Do the players have to play once they are selected or can they choose to play?

Trouble87
06-20-2009, 05:20 PM
He's from there it wont be as bad as Kaman

lakers4sho
06-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Question about USA basketball, how does the selection work and who chooses it? Ive seen various videos with various NBA players ranging from Tyson Chandler and Bruce Bowen. Do the players have to play once they are selected or can they choose to play?

They have sort of like a tryout session where USA Basketball invites players, then the numbers cut down until 12-15 players eventually will remain, thus forming the USA team.

Just the same thing as tryouts in a high school basketball team.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-20-2009, 06:14 PM

Real ****.

I'm part Spanish and I'm really tired of all your Spanish threads.

But who the hell cares about Wally?

GiantMetKnick
06-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Well, if Wally was raised his whole life in the US and has no Spanish blood, then yes I would criticize him just the same. Being born in a country doesn't mean that's where one is from (imo).

soundjunkies2
06-20-2009, 06:30 PM
He was born there so i wouldn't have a problem with it.

IndyRealist
06-20-2009, 06:37 PM

It's by invitation. There's a committee somewhere that decides who to invite, and if you accept and the invitation and then get selected, you are obligated for 3 years barring injury. This is a new process and has only been done once, to select the last Olympic team.

Previously it was a year-to-year process, and players who played in, say, the World Championship sometimes didn't play in the Olympics. It created a fragmented program where players weren't used to being on the court with eachother and consequentially got whupped by international teams that have played together for almost a decade.

But to answer the OP's question, I wouldn't hate on Wally. I didn't hate on Kaman either. They were not selected for the US National team and probably never will be, so if they ever wanted to experience the Olympics, that is their only way to do it.

VCaintdead17
06-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Wally Scerzbiak is not important enough for people to have actual opinions about him. :D

blazerman
06-20-2009, 07:18 PM
Who am I to hate on somebody because they want to play in the Olympics for another country, especially if he was born there.

Let the guy make his own decisions in life, he's a big boy!

If you want to cheer for him, then that's up to you.

S.J.Basketball
06-20-2009, 07:40 PM
you gotta figure this: Kaman wasn't gonna play on The U.S. Team because he wasn't selected so he played for Germany. Good for him. The guy wanted to play against world competition and really had nothing to do with saying F YOU to the U.S.

Same goes with Wally. Wally is a 2nd stringer. Maybe a border line 3rd stringer. He's never gonna play for the U.S. team. I could care less who he plays for.

Now if Kobe Bryant went and said he was gonna go play for Italy instead of the U.S. I would get pissed off, but that's a whole other discussion....

IndyRealist
06-20-2009, 07:49 PM
No mention of Becky Hammon playing for the Russian National Team, btw? She plays on a team there during the WNBA offseason, so she qualified.

Cubs Win
06-20-2009, 08:16 PM
Now if Kobe Bryant went and said he was gonna go play for Italy instead of the U.S. I would get pissed off, but that's a whole other discussion....

How is that different? If I remember correctly, didn't he live in Italy for at least a good portion of his childhood. I understand that he can make Team USA, but other than that, he actually has more of a connection to the country.

Kakaroach
06-20-2009, 08:20 PM
Wally Scerzbiak is not important enough for people to have actual opinions about him. :D x2 Lol big deal its Wally. But he was born there, so I don't see why he didn't play for the Spanish back when he was in his prime and was one of the best shooters in the league.

Hustla23
06-20-2009, 08:20 PM
lmao Wally.

Whichever team takes him must be really very desperate.

smith&wesson
06-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Its simple really, he was born in spain. he should have a write to play for spain. why would he get critisized for that ? i dont think any one would care since he isnt good enough to play on the american team so really whats the big deal ?
its not the same as kaman. kaman wasnt born in germany and neither was his father. his grand father was. that makes him about a quarter german.

AllTheWay
06-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Nope.

Chronz
06-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Whatever strengthens the game Im all for

And dont listen to these insulting haters, nothing wrong with your spanish threads, it adds some much needed diversity to the forums

BTownTeamsRKing
06-21-2009, 01:29 AM
I hate Wally anyways. the biggest disgrace to wear Celtics green and white. this dude got injured slipping on a towel. idc wat nationality he is, thats embarrasing.

homestarunner93
06-21-2009, 02:30 AM
Won't matter HC, your precious Spain still doesn't stand a chance.

NBA_Starter
06-21-2009, 02:42 AM
As long as he was born there...

Kyle N.
06-21-2009, 03:04 AM

but to answer, i think he'd be criticized just the same. maybe a little less, but he'd still get criticized

Don't be hatin. He is our Spanish connection. We'd be lost (internationally) without him. Anyway, I wasn't hating on Kaman for playing for Germany and I would especially not hate on Wally for playing with Spain because he was actually born there.

GoatMilk
06-21-2009, 03:09 AM
i'm not hating, just saying.

the question mark was more for rhetoric :D

Kyle N.
06-21-2009, 03:16 AM
i'm not hating, just saying.

the question mark was more for rhetoric :D

Yeah it was more of a sarcastic remark.

TheDiggler
06-21-2009, 09:21 AM
So, : I'm german. Born here. Living here.

But, Mr. Kaman is NOT german. He is not even talking german. I DON'T want that guy in our team. Ok, Germany hasn't got much talent now, and we desperately need a guy next to Dirk. But, NO, NEVER EVER I will accept Kaman being "german" playing for Germany. He said "I'm not gonna play for Germany, if Dirk won't" <- You seriously want THAT guy on our team. Same **** was with Bradley ... I don't know why our officials do such nonsense. We have some guys with african roots, turkish roots and whatever. But, that's just what they look like. Those guys are 100% german. Born here. Raised here. But Kaman is just not ...

I don't know how spanish Wally is (language and so on), but ... why the heck do SPAIN need him ? They have Navarro, 2 Gasols, Garbajosa and loads of talented good players. Not even mentioned Fernandez ... as a spaniard I would definitely NOT like to have him ... Same thing with the black guy (forgot his name for a moment) playing for Russia ...

I'm totally against all that ... I prefer getting tons of losses with real countrymen, than that ********, they are trying now ...

EDIT: Next guy for us should be Donte Greene then ...

Hellcrooner
06-21-2009, 09:52 AM
^well of course he wouldnt crack the starting five for us Calderon,Rudy, Garbajosa,Pau, Marc but he would be good of the bench Rubio, Navarro, WALLY,Vazquez, Reyes.

I mean he isnt great on nba standars right now but he is better than Mumbru or Barni Rodriguez.

BY the way, what the hell happened to germany? you used to have good players, Schrempf, Blabb, Welp etc, Now its Dirk and Nothing more....

Hellcrooner
06-21-2009, 09:53 AM
oh to ansewer the question on how spanish he is.

He was born in madrid While his Father played for Real madrid and Lived here until he was 17 playing for Real Madrid junior scheme, he obviusly talks spanish .

MPScribbles
06-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Whatever strengthens the game Im all for

And dont listen to these insulting haters, nothing wrong with your spanish threads, it adds some much needed diversity to the forums

:clap:
Seriously, make whatever thread you want. These people have the choice to read and reply or ignore. If you want to make 10 spanish threads a day(as long as they're not in spanish), go for it. And for anyone that doesn't want to be apart of, or disagrees with the validity of, a thread, stay the hell out. :mad: I get so sick of like every other thread I read has someone posting to discredit, or just rip in general, the OP for making the thread. Who are you people to decide what this man gets to talk about? So keep your head up Crooner and keep bringing the international flavor to this often monotonous forum.

MPScribbles
06-21-2009, 11:15 AM
To address the issue of the thread, I don't care. Let Wally play if he wants. People don't get mad at Tim Duncan for playing for USA. He wasn't born here and got to play for us even after he played his earlier international ball with his home country. That is the kind of situation that I would call messed up. Also Kaman, he's not from there at all so he has no right to play for their team.

Tqafg96
06-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Not that importent.

J-Relo
06-21-2009, 03:32 PM
No hate at all... I don't hate Kaman for his move too, maybe because i feel that Dirk has to get some help, and there is no other german to really help him... but it's not the same as Wally's

Kyle N.
06-21-2009, 04:21 PM
So, : I'm german. Born here. Living here.

But, Mr. Kaman is NOT german. He is not even talking german. I DON'T want that guy in our team. Ok, Germany hasn't got much talent now, and we desperately need a guy next to Dirk. But, NO, NEVER EVER I will accept Kaman being "german" playing for Germany. He said "I'm not gonna play for Germany, if Dirk won't" <- You seriously want THAT guy on our team. Same **** was with Bradley ... I don't know why our officials do such nonsense. We have some guys with african roots, turkish roots and whatever. But, that's just what they look like. Those guys are 100% german. Born here. Raised here. But Kaman is just not ...

I don't know how spanish Wally is (language and so on), but ... why the heck do SPAIN need him ? They have Navarro, 2 Gasols, Garbajosa and loads of talented good players. Not even mentioned Fernandez ... as a spaniard I would definitely NOT like to have him ... Same thing with the black guy (forgot his name for a moment) playing for Russia ...

I'm totally against all that ... I prefer getting tons of losses with real countrymen, than that ********, they are trying now ...

EDIT: Next guy for us should be Donte Greene then ...

That's completely understandable. I'm not saying he should play for Germany, and when it comes down to it, it's what the Germans think about it. I just don't see his decision as un-American. But I agree in the case that he shouldn't play because he never actually lived there. Wally lived there and even though he isn't that nationally, it was his home.

azkarraga
06-21-2009, 04:43 PM
its not the same as kaman. wally is from spain, kaman is not from germany. anyway, are you sure scariolo (however it is spelled) is gonna call him?

azkarraga
06-21-2009, 04:47 PM
and yes, i like your spanish threads (im half spanish myself) even though i dont always agree with you on how big is pau (whos big, but not that big). lol