PDA

View Full Version : Lamar Odom on the open market

JordansBulls
06-20-2009, 03:06 PM
What team could really use his services next year? Obviously he is good on LA, but he was good on Miami before he was traded. Would he fit good in Miami again? Would he make a team like the Bulls good where we could slip him at PF? Or what about in Denver? Or even New Orleans

Example

Miami
PG - Mario
SG - Dwyane
SF - Lamar
PF - Michael
C - Jermaine

Chicago
PG Rose
SG Salmons
SF Deng
PF Odom
C Noah

Denver
PG Billups
SG Jones
SF Melo
PF Odom
C Nene

New Orleans
PG CP3
SG Posey
SF Odom
PF West
C Chandler

Would Odom help those teams? Who would he help the most overall?

Also how much would he get moneywise?

ARMIN12NBA
06-20-2009, 03:25 PM
I don't think Denver and New Orleans can sign him financially because of the salary cap. Miami and Chicago are saving money towards 2010 so they are probably not looking at him either.

JordansBulls
06-20-2009, 03:32 PM
I don't think Denver and New Orleans can sign him financially because of the salary cap. Miami and Chicago are saving money towards 2010 so they are probably not looking at him either.

What teams do you think would be looking at him right now?

lakers4sho
06-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Detroit is pretty much the "contender" (although not really) that has the cap space, I don't think Portland is going to waste what little space they have on Odom, and most other teams are saving for 2010.

xabial
06-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Knicks were considering gortat for the MLE but a 70% sure if he takes the MLE NY would do it
They Need a defenseive precense down low, a rebounder, and we are dead last in blocked shots
Highly unlikely though as he may view himself as worth more because of the finals, plus NY wouldnt want to waste much $ because of 2010

ARMIN12NBA
06-20-2009, 03:37 PM
What teams do you think would be looking at him right now?

There isn't much of a market for ANY free agents considering the economy, "2010," and the fact that many teams simply don't have the cap space.

Similar to the MLB free agency period. Many players were not getting any deals done. The best players in fact took severely less money than they would have any other year. Expect NBA free agency to be similar.

BoltLakerPadre
06-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Lakers need him. And Odom needs the beach. End of story.

thegreatone08
06-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Odom isn't going anywhere. He will be a Laker next year

lakers sqaud
06-20-2009, 03:54 PM
lakers,he resigns for about 5-years 39-mil~!

Zefflin
06-20-2009, 04:27 PM
It'll be less years and more money sir...Odom himself said he wanted 3 years 80 mil.

kb24ap28
06-20-2009, 04:31 PM
It'll be less years and more money sir...Odom himself said he wanted 3 years 80 mil.

that was a joke

yojoe792
06-20-2009, 04:33 PM

:sigh:

Kyben36
06-20-2009, 04:41 PM
I feel like Odom would be a great bench player for the bulls, a bench of Kirk, Odom and Miller, would be a real pain for any team. Kirk and Miller where already bad last year, both, though not the most talented offensivly, get under you skin. Brad by just trowing his body around into you, geting foul calls, and Kirk by playing Deffense, if you add odom to that mix, it would be a scary bench.

ARMIN12NBA
06-20-2009, 04:47 PM
I feel like Odom would be a great bench player for the bulls, a bench of Kirk, Odom and Miller, would be a real pain for any team. Kirk and Miller where already bad last year, both, though not the most talented offensivly, get under you skin. Brad by just trowing his body around into you, geting foul calls, and Kirk by playing Deffense, if you add odom to that mix, it would be a scary bench.

Odom won't leave the Lakers to play on the bench for another team. Only way he leaves is if he gets a starter role and significantly more money. He has said he is very willing to take a pay-cut to stay in L.A. The only way he leaves, like I said, is if somebody offers him a monster deal and a much bigger role on a team that has a chance to win.

icon1914
06-20-2009, 04:47 PM

So Odom wants 25+ mil a year? Odom thinks there is a team that will pay him that much? Thats franchise player money.

If Odom actually said that, I think LA will let him walk.

Kyben36
06-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Odom won't leave the Lakers to play on the bench for another team. Only way he leaves is if he gets a starter role and significantly more money. He has said he is very willing to take a pay-cut to stay in L.A. The only way he leaves, like I said, is if somebody offers him a monster deal and a much bigger role on a team that has a chance to win.

Never said he would, but I feel like he would be.

kjdills13
06-20-2009, 04:54 PM

he hast played enough years to be allowed to make 25 a year! u gave to be like a 16 year vet to make that much a year!!!! dumb da da dumb!

GspLAL
06-20-2009, 05:56 PM

Thats 26 million a year, you believed that?

BallersTalk.com
06-20-2009, 06:25 PM
I don't know how many teams could afford him. He'd start on pretty much every team in the NBA. But I don't think he's willing to take a paycut anywhere but LA.

Lakersfan2483
06-20-2009, 06:28 PM
I think Phoenix, San Antonio, Chicago, Detroit, and Miami would all be very interested in his services, however I think he's staying in LA.

Zefflin
06-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Thats 26 million a year, you believed that?

I was high when I typed that, it's my only excuse. On a serious note I hope he signs for about 9.

DeadMemories
06-20-2009, 06:47 PM
lmao @ odom getting 26 mill per

akesh99
06-20-2009, 07:08 PM
I would love to see Odom in a Raps jersey. I think he brings a lot of the things Marion does but with a better offensive game. If I were GM, I let Marion walk and go after Odom.

IndyRealist
06-20-2009, 07:41 PM
1) LA will never agree to a sign and trade to a team that could contend. They're not going to make their toughest opposition stronger. So the following teams are out: Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Denver, Houston, Miami, New Orleans, Orlando, Utah. Of the remaining teams, Charlotte, Dallas, Philly, Portland, Sacramento and Washington seem content at SF/PF. Minnesota, New York and New Jersey are clearing space for 2010 and will not be signing big, long term contracts. That leaves: Atlanta, Detriot, Golden State, Indiana, LAC, Memphis, Milwaukee, Phoenix, and Toronto.

Atlanta: Can sign him without a sign and trade, and he'd just slip into Marvin Williams' slot, who is overpaid for his production.
Detriot: Can sign him without a sign and trade, and he'd take Rasheed Wallace's place, assuming they don't trade Tayshaun Prince.
Golden State: Would need a sign and trade, probably for Monta Ellis. GS would then draft a PG at #7 like they're rumored to.
Indiana: Sign and trade for TJ Ford and filler.
LAC: Sign and trade plus Luke Walton for Zach Randolph, or straight up for Chris Kaman.
Memphis: Can sign him without a sign and trade to play PF.
Milwaukee: Sign and trade with Luke Walton for Richard Jefferson.
Phoenix: Sign and trade for Leandro Barbosa and Robin Lopez.
Toronto: Can sign him without a sign and trade, assuming they don't resign Marion.

Note: I might take flak for saying Sacramento is content with their roster, and that Miami is a contender. But Sacramento just traded for Nocioni so they probably want to see how he'll work out first, and they've really got no other tradeable assets other than their draft pick. Miami is not a contender, but if they managed to secure Lamar Odom, they probably would be.

EDIT: Figured LA might want TJ Ford.
EDIT2: Sorry for the long post.

Kakaroach
06-20-2009, 08:22 PM
The Jazz could use him if any of our big men decide or are forced to leave.

rabzouz 96
06-20-2009, 08:31 PM
cavs? theyd just have the mle, but i think it would be a best case scenario for them, as they weaken the lakers and get a good pf in one move.

ARMIN12NBA
06-20-2009, 08:48 PM
cavs? theyd just have the mle, but i think it would be a best case scenario for them, as they weaken the lakers and get a good pf in one move.

Why would Lamar take a gigantic pay-cut to play with the Cavs? He has said he loves L.A. and the Lakers are willing to give more than MLE. Lamar also said he is taking a pay-cut to stay in L.A.

IndyRealist
06-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Someone is going to have to offer significantly more than the MLE to get Odom from the Lakers.

Trouble87
06-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Det, Miami, 76ers, or he stays with the Lakers

I really don't see him going anywhere

Lakers4ItAll
06-20-2009, 10:04 PM
Odom would help any team, hopefully he stays with LA

Chronz
06-20-2009, 10:37 PM
Odom makes every team better, the perfect intangible role player, with the way he was hitting 3's in the playoffs he showed a glimpse of the potential scouts saw in him all those years back. I never liked his game after he left the Clippers but so long as hes not looked upon to lead hes a huge asset for any team, especially given the way the league is going, if you dont have someone to matchup with Odom your not going to last in a series with the Lakers. His mere presence eliminates any chance the opposing team has at applying full court pressure, you can play him at either forward slot and not lose much at all when it comes to rebounding and defense, hes almost KG-like when it comes to defense, hes more prone to inattentiveness but when hes on his game hes a very good defender.

JordansBulls
06-21-2009, 12:04 AM

:laugh2:

akesh99
06-21-2009, 12:18 AM
Would Laker fans be interested in a S&T Marion for Odom? Fillers can be thrown in to balance out salaries, but it seems like it makes sense for both teams. Thoughts?

SwaggaIke
06-21-2009, 12:36 AM
Honestly its a waiting game. There will be a lot of cap space freed up/lost this offseason because of trades. Teams will be trading to get under the cap and some teams may get that piece to the puzzle. Aggressive LO could help a lot of teams, passive LO could cramp a lot of teams wallets.

lakers4sho
06-21-2009, 12:36 AM
Would Laker fans be interested in a S&T Marion for Odom? Fillers can be thrown in to balance out salaries, but it seems like it makes sense for both teams. Thoughts?

That proposal has been discussed 3279748925027804738 times in the Laker forum.

It all boiled down to a one-word response: No.

D Roses Bulls
06-21-2009, 12:38 AM
What team could really use his services next year? Obviously he is good on LA, but he was good on Miami before he was traded. Would he fit good in Miami again? Would he make a team like the Bulls good where we could slip him at PF? Or what about in Denver? Or even New Orleans

Example

Miami
PG - Mario
SG - Dwyane
SF - Lamar
PF - Michael
C - Jermaine

Chicago
PG Rose
SG Salmons
SF Deng
PF Odom
C Noah

Denver
PG Billups
SG Jones
SF Melo
PF Odom
C Nene

New Orleans
PG CP3
SG Posey
SF Odom
PF West
C Chandler

Would Odom help those teams? Who would he help the most overall?

Also how much would he get moneywise?

if i had to choose between the teams on the list it would have to be the bulls and miami of course. odom with wade with be deadly, but none of those teams can afford him really and miami is not going to give up their plans for 2010 for odom. i say he either stays in LA or if detroit or okc wanna offer him a big contract then i could see him leaving for the money.

kblo247
06-21-2009, 12:54 AM

Nah, Nope, and Hell No.

Odom makes Marion his ***** whenever they play and he provides nothing that Odom doesn't

Odom is the better
- passer
- ball handler
- rebounder
- post player
- chemistry guy
- finisher
- team defender

Lakersfan2483
06-21-2009, 12:57 AM

No on this trade especially with the way Marion has been playing these past 2 seasons.

dre1990
06-21-2009, 01:03 AM
I can see Miami and Toronto making a Push for him. MAYBE even Orlando if they dont get Hedo back :shrug:

XJW18
06-21-2009, 01:04 AM
He would be awesome with the Hornets....

MrBloop
06-21-2009, 01:28 AM

Honestly dude, Do you really think you're bulls team is that good or deep that you would consider adding Odom, as a bench piece??????????????????????????

You can make the argument half you're starting 5 could be on a the bench somewhere in the league.

He barely wants to come off the bench in LA, but you expect him to ride the pine on the fkn Bulls? gimme a break kid.

You Bulls fans really are not in touch with reality on this forum, I swear to god.

Its between you guys and Raptor fans, can't call it

MrBloop
06-21-2009, 01:31 AM
So Odom wants 25+ mil a year? Odom thinks there is a team that will pay him that much? Thats franchise player money.

Look up "HUMOR" in the dictionary...read and reflect.

Lamar is a funny guy.

MrBloop
06-21-2009, 01:34 AM
Never said he would, but I feel like he would be.

Please tell the world who Odom couldn't start over on that team?

Aside from Rose.

zambo4president
06-21-2009, 01:37 AM

I completely agree and that would be great to have him. But i just dont see him leaving the world champion laker bench for our bench.

MrBloop
06-21-2009, 01:43 AM

Odom would never entertain playing in canada, unless it was for a boat load of cash. He's from NY and he's played in LA & Miami his whole career, he's a big market snob. Why would he wanna go from winning a championship, to a dead end franchise who's best player is gonna split town on the first thing smokin in summer 2010?

While I agree the a deal could get done in theory, seeing as Marion would fit well with LA, this would never ever happen ever...never.

GoatMilk
06-21-2009, 01:45 AM
Odom would never entertain playing in canada, unless it was for a boat load of cash. He's from NY and he's played in LA & Miami his whole career, he's a big market snob. Why would he wanna go from winning a championship, to a dead end franchise who's best player is gonna split town on the first thing smokin in summer 2010?

While I agree the a deal could get done in theory, seeing as Marion would fit well with LA, this would never ever happen ever...never.

canadians have trouble realizing this. this is why they never get any key FA's. their best players have come via draft or trade, and they end up leaving soon enough. look at stoudemire, VC, and now Bosh

and with Odom, I just can't see him leaving the Lakers. he'll get less money, but he's staying

juggla53
06-21-2009, 01:46 AM

wow... you really thought he was serious

MrBloop
06-21-2009, 01:49 AM
I completely agree and that would be great to have him. But i just dont see him leaving the world champion laker bench for our bench.

Why don't you fascinating Bulls fans think about acquiring him NOT to play the bench, and save yourselves the headache????

He'd be a pretty damn nice addition to that starting 5. Imagine playing him, Rose, and Salmons on the floor together? That would be some excellent ball handling at those 3 key positions...they would be tough.

GoatMilk
06-21-2009, 01:51 AM
Bulls could do better than Odom. I think they're either gonna make a trade for Bosh or A'm'a'r'e' or wait til 2010 to sign a big name once they have the cap room

NBA_Starter
06-21-2009, 02:02 AM
He'd look Great in a Charlotte uni.:clap:

MrBloop
06-21-2009, 02:03 AM
canadians have trouble realizing this. this is why they never get any key FA's. their best players have come via draft or trade, and they end up leaving soon enough. look at stoudemire, VC, and now Bosh

and with Odom, I just can't see him leaving the Lakers. he'll get less money, but he's staying

Yea you were dead on, why would he leave LA for Canada. Raptor fans are truly delusional, and I say this, b/c I feel like the last 3 years or so, when they improved somewhat (though regressed this past year) the fans took on this "we're a perennial playoff team" persona, and it shows on PSD.

No free agent worth anything has ever signed with them...ever. I could be wrong, but I'm gonna take the over on this one. Like you said, you leave the raptors...you don't sign with them.

I'm being a little harsh on Raptor fans, b/c they seem to talk down to Knick fans on here, b/c they think they have some kind of bragging rights by finishing ahead of us for a couple of seasons...god their cheesy up there.

GoatMilk
06-21-2009, 02:11 AM
Yea you were dead on, why would he leave LA for Canada. Raptor fans are truly delusional, and I say this, b/c I feel like the last 3 years or so, when they improved somewhat (though regressed this past year) the fans took on this "we're a perennial playoff team" persona, and it shows on PSD.

No free agent worth anything has ever signed with them...ever. I could be wrong, but I'm gonna take the over on this one. Like you said, you leave the raptors...you don't sign with them.

I'm being a little harsh on Raptor fans, b/c they seem to talk down to Knick fans on here, b/c they think they have some kind of bragging rights by finishing ahead of us for a couple of seasons...god their cheesy up there.

no your not being harsh, i understand. looks like your a yankee fan, so i know you know about the blue jays fans. lol. its just a canadian thing i guess

(i come in peace Canada. no harm no foul)

akesh99
06-21-2009, 02:21 AM

Stoudemire left because he wanted a bigger market. Toronto was new to the league and he wanted to be more in the spotlight. VC left because at the time, Toronto wasn't a winning franchise and it didn't look like they had a bright future either. As for Bosh, everyone is so quick to say he's gonna bolt in 2010 but I dont think it's that simple. Since Bosh got a taste of glory by winning gold in the olympics, he wants a ring. If the Raps can prove to him that they are willing to spend the money to legitimately compete, I think Bosh will end up staying on board. Toronto fans give mad love to their players and that includes Bosh. Plus its not a dead city either. Toronto has a very comparable lifestyle to places like NY and CHI. Our organization has the pieces to be successful, we just need to shape a few more things to make a legitimate run. Bryan Colangelo is a smart GM and with the right moves this offseason I can really see T.O being a 50 win team come next season. (and thats not just cuz im from the city)

And by the way, all you guys should stop hating on Canada. We've had some big name players who have loved the city like Olajuwon and Oakley. Toronto is a much better place to play than a lot of you make it out to be.

JordansBulls
06-21-2009, 10:26 AM
I think Odom in Indiana would be good as well. Granger at SF and Odom at PF.

Penetra8r
06-21-2009, 10:39 AM
He'd look great in a Clippers uniform!

Blahaha, he will probably score some big time candy endorsements

GCOOKIE7
06-21-2009, 11:48 AM

None of them hate the city. This is a great basketball city. Look at Vince and Stoudamire now. Ignorant much?

Kakaroach
06-21-2009, 12:23 PM
I think Odom in Indiana would be good as well. Granger at SF and Odom at PF. Interesting thought JB. I would imagine Odom would do well in that fast-paced offense as well. And don't they have the money now with Nesterovic and Daniels coming off the books?

IndyRealist
06-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Interesting thought JB. I would imagine Odom would do well in that fast-paced offense as well. And don't they have the money now with Nesterovic and Daniels coming off the books?

Fraid not, they've been in luxury tax territory since 2002. Next year's salary is $57M before draft picks and free agents, so figure around $65M after all is said and done.

Best deal Indiana could manage: Sign and trade Lamar Odom for TJ Ford and filler.

lakers4sho
06-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Fraid not, they've been in luxury tax territory since 2002. Next year's salary is $57M before draft picks and free agents, so figure around $65M after all is said and done.

Best deal Indiana could manage: Sign and trade Lamar Odom for TJ Ford and filler.

Uhh no ;)

fresh prince
06-21-2009, 02:20 PM
He's not leaving LA...

The Lakers have the perfect team fit for his skills.. and LA fans have finally excepted him for his inconstancy.. He loves the city.

If he were to leave I think Chicago or Mia would be the only Cities/Teams he would be willing to go to.

fresh prince
06-21-2009, 02:28 PM
I think Kobe said it best when the Lakers were on Jimmy Kimmel a few days ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Oj4D37VPg

Lamar ain't going nowhere!

ko8e24
06-21-2009, 02:38 PM

lol, are you being sarcastic or really drunk?

IT WAS A JOKE!

PurpleJesus
06-21-2009, 02:52 PM
The athleticism of Miami would be insane with him, and they would have 3 do it all big men on their team.

J-Relo
06-21-2009, 03:32 PM
he will stay

JordansBulls
06-21-2009, 04:43 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing him in Miami actually.

IversonIsKrazy
06-21-2009, 05:10 PM
3 Teams would be great fits for him.

Lakers, Cavs & Heat.