PDA

View Full Version : AJC's Furman Bisher sets "dumbest column" record

rtgthree
06-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Furman Bisher of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution is known in the Braves' blogosphere for his lack of insight. He wrote a column a few months ago about the weakness of the Braves' farm system that ranked in Baseball America's top five. But today, he takes the cake, with a column that calls for the Braves to trade Chipper Jones. Let's review some highlights:

He deserves one more chance at a World Series, or postseason play, and heís not going to get it here. He just signed a fresh contract, so that much is done, but the front office was rather slow getting around to that.
If he was really that concerned about playing in the postseason, and he didn't think the Braves could get him there, then he wouldn't have signed an extension that will likely take him through the end of his career. And when would have been an earlier time to get him a contract extension? They got it done in the spring before the final year on his previous deal.

This front office hasnít been distinguishing itself, anyway. It has been making trades for Gary Sheffield, Mike Hampton, J. D. Drew and Mark Teixeira and shredding the farm system in the process.
Don't know if he noticed, but Frank Wren didn't trade for any of those guys.

The Teixeira deal was the most destructive of all, literally re-stocking the Texas Rangersí roster. Check the standings of the American League West.
Uh, after you check the standings, maybe you should check their roster. Elvis Andrus is the only guy from that trade that's really contributing to the Rangers' division-leading efforts, and even then only because of his glove.

A deal for Chipper might go a long way toward re-stocking the roster, but it would have to be more productive than a lot of swaps that have been made lately. Except for Jair Jurrjens, and to a degree, Omar Infante, those transactions have not been richly productive, including such as Royce Ring, Josh Anderson, Mark Kotsay, Will Ohman, Jeff Ridgway and Mike Gonzalez, and a lot of them are history.
Let's see...who did we trade for Royce Ring again? Bet he doesn't even know who Will Startup and Wilfredo Ledezma are (even I had to look that up, but it's fun to look back at that). And do we really miss Oscar Villarreal (for Anderson), or Jose Ascanio (for Infante AND Ohman)? One could argue that Joey Devine and Willy Aybar "got away," but it's also legitimate to say that both those guys needed a change of scenery anyway. As for Mike Gonzalez, he is closing for us this year, right?

The AJC is struggling financially, so why do they continue to pay Bisher for this drivel? The Braves are likely to see the playoffs again before Chipper's contract expires, and if nothing else, he remains the heart and soul of this team, and the one guy that it's made sense to keep around from the glory days. Jeez.

http://blogs.ajc.com/furman-bisher-blog/2009/06/19/brace-yourselves-but-braves-should-put-chipper-on-the-market/?cxntfid=blogs_furman_bisher_blog

KidinRiot
06-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Furman Bisher of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution is known in the Braves' blogosphere for his lack of insight. He wrote a column a few months ago about the weakness of the Braves' farm system that ranked in Baseball America's top five.

I remember the column and yes, Furman Bisher is awful.

Brave4life
06-20-2009, 02:23 PM
I wish we could trade for sports-columnist, this is definitely the worst article ever. I would trade Furman Bisher for some BBQ sunflower seeds. i could use some right now.

hawksd911
06-20-2009, 02:26 PM
I would trade him for a Mc Ds burger and i hate them too just so i can throw it in the garbag.

hawksd911
06-20-2009, 02:31 PM
I hope Chipper reads this article and hits a homer today.

Half-Truism
06-20-2009, 02:32 PM
If Chipper really wants a World Series then he wouldn't have re-signed with us. Grant it everybody wants one, I'm just saying. Plus were not as bad as everybody thinks we are.

Half-Truism
06-20-2009, 02:32 PM
I hope Chipper reads this article and hits a homer today.

Maybe a couple over the the monster.

cheerio
06-20-2009, 02:35 PM
I remember the column and yes, Furman Bisher is awful.

I haven't seen the column but judging by the first post he doesn't sound too smart

A_Brave_Pack
06-20-2009, 02:36 PM
Thanks rtg. I read this blog earlier and wanted to post to it on here, but I couldn't figure out how best to encompass the idiocy of Bisher's column...and you did. Bravo, sir.

hawksd911
06-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Im feeling a good day by the Braves today,

GLASSMAN
06-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Some guys will do anything for a little attention or maybe a thread title or two. What strikes me most is his lack of any sort of back up information from the horse's mouth. I read the first few lines and lost interest. Props to those who could slog through the muck.

Joe Smoe
06-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Yeah the whole column felt Terrence Moore'ish...

Like he had to have a shock article to drive up readers to the column. I stated my peace last night on his blog, and know it will just get lost in the pack of other negative posters.

Perhaps he is trying to raise a question of "Is Chipper worth more to the Braves, via trade then with the Braves"? but in doing so, as a writer he goes about it all wrong! I am not sure there really is too many ways to ask that question in Atlanta and not be bashed however. Either way.. Atlanta only has one or two real Braves writers, all the rest seem like rainy day fans at best.

beldugo
06-20-2009, 04:55 PM
i think fisher's not serious with this article...he better not be serious about it...

Joe Smoe
06-20-2009, 05:04 PM
i think fisher's not serious with this article...he better not be serious about it...

Doesn't matter if he is serous about it, he rarely uses any facts in his writing. When he does, he cleary doesnt understand the facts.

jmtapia
06-20-2009, 06:19 PM
cant help but at least wonder what Chipper would bring in return...

GLASSMAN
06-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Can't help wonder what a man to man conversation between Bisher and Chip would produce.

autigers5777
06-20-2009, 06:45 PM
I mean it almost sounded like he had Chipper's best interest in mind. However, I would struggle to find someone that has sacrificed more to help his team win. Chip could have declined the extension and became a FA too which we would definately lose out on. But he didn't in a era marked by steriods and money driven divas he still stands for the reason why I watch baseball, loyalty and hard work.

autigers5777
06-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Also if we didn't give Chip whatever he asked for I would probably start rooting for the Marlins or hell the Expos.

autigers5777
06-20-2009, 06:50 PM
Also if we didn't give Chip whatever he asked for I would probably start rooting for the Marlins or heck the Expos.