PDA

View Full Version : Yao Ming in Cleveland

Jamaal60
06-19-2009, 12:53 PM
The group of Chinese investors, who recently bought into the Cleveland Cavaliers, want to sign Yao Ming, according to a report in the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

According to the Plain Dealer, Ming has called a possible move to Cleveland an "unknown," but did nothing to dampen ongoing speculation that the Cavaliers' new Chinese part owners want to sign him.

In a recent interview with his hometown Shanghai TV station, Yao said he continued to have "much affection" for the Rockets, the team that picked him as a first-round draft pick in 2003 and with whom he has played all six of his NBA seasons.

The Plain Dealer reported that rumors of a possible switch have swirled since a group of Chinese investors signed an agreement last month with the Cavaliers to become minority owners of the franchise, a move expected to boost the team's popularity and marketing opportunities in China, where Cleveland star LeBron James is already very popular.

Cleveland has not publicly expressed interest in Yao, who has one guaranteed year left on his contract with Houston, including a player option for the 2010-11 season.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Cavs-Chinese-investors-want-to-sign-Yao-Ming;_ylt=AuqglHTMVwUPuwVZd9sxIeC8vLYF?urn=nba,171 379

Do you guys think it could really happen ?

Living Legend
06-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Houston never trades anybody.

theuuord
06-19-2009, 12:59 PM

Rafer Alston is on line one for you. Steve Francis on line two.

prodigy
06-19-2009, 01:01 PM

They said sign, not trade.

J_M_B
06-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Yao stays with Rockets

arkanian215
06-19-2009, 01:16 PM

there were collect calls from jefferson, collins, and armstrong. you weren't here so they left a message. "what rock do you live under?"

Kabowdos
06-19-2009, 01:33 PM
If trades Yao... why?

He is the second best center in the league.

ManRam
06-19-2009, 01:48 PM
Yao and LeBron on the same team= Unfair

IBleedPurple
06-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Wouldn't happen, but that would be N-A-S-T-Y

atl_braves_fan
06-19-2009, 02:07 PM
There is no way that Houston would trade Yao Ming - he is an all-star player and a cash cow. They are both free agents next year though. Could the Cavs afford to sign both Yao and Lebron?

Brooklyn Mets
06-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Yao and LeBron on the same team= Unfair

that's if LeBron stays..

philab
06-19-2009, 02:12 PM
Way to go Plain Dealer.

The article says Yao was drafted first overall in 2003 and has played six seasons. The only player that fits that description is Cleveland's own LeBron James.

Lakers09
06-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Yao is like a way way way better Z. They kinda play the same way... with outside shooting and all but Yao is way way way better at everything else. This will never happen its about as likely as Kobe going to Italy.

Jamaal60
06-19-2009, 02:17 PM
There is no way that Houston would trade Yao Ming - he is an all-star player and a cash cow. They are both free agents next year though. Could the Cavs afford to sign both Yao and Lebron?

I think those chinese investors will not hesitate to spend as much money as necessary to sign those two. However nobody knows if LeBron will stay or if Yao will leave. I think Yao's decision will also depend on whether the Rockets re-sign Artest or not.

SeoulBeatz
06-19-2009, 02:21 PM
cleveland has nothing to offer the rockets. the only package that may work is Mo Williams, Ben Wallace, J.J Hickson, and this years 1st and next years 1st. That still may not be enough to get Yao and I dont even know if the cavs want to part with Mo, although I personally believe that Williams was the most undeserving allstar since jamaal magloire. The rockets would also have no need for him but he is by far the 2nd best player on the cavs roster so thats all i got.

thus in reality, this trade will not happen.

CTown81
06-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Lets look at this a little closer.

1) The possibility of the Rockets Trading Yao this year are probably small however if Artest does not resign and the Rockets feel that McGrady is done its feasible they blow it up and try to save cash. The Cavs can offer Ben Wallace in a deal that helps them achieve this. Lets remember as good it seems the general public thinks the Rockets are or could be they only have made it to round 2 once in the past few years with their current squad. One possible trade offer that could work would be

Cavs get Yao Ming C Hou

Rockets get Ben Wallace, Daniel Gibson, and a 1st round pick (2009 or 2010)

Gotta remember Yao has injury problems so if their thought process is as described this might be enticing as they could probably buy out Wallace and get under the luxury cap this season.

2) The possibility of Yao signing with the Cavs after this coming season I think could be much greater if the following happens. The Cavs resign Lebron and let everyone else walk after this coming season except for Mo Williams, Delonte West, and Darnell Jackson. If this happened they would be roughly 18 million under the cap and would have room to sign Yao. This would obviously impact their ability to fill out a servicable bench but they would have mid level exceptions etc to work with as well as a small amount of remaining cap space.

A big indication of what the Cavs overall plan is will be revealed in if they resign Varejo this year or let him walk. If they resign Varejo they really wont have room to make a big splash in 2010 other than trying to resign Lebron.

ManRam
06-19-2009, 02:27 PM
that's if LeBron stays..

Naturally, and that's also if Yao comes...

azkarraga
06-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Wouldn't happen, but that would be N-A-S-T-Y

can you imagine it?

atl_braves_fan
06-19-2009, 03:01 PM
I think those chinese investors will not hesitate to spend as much money as necessary to sign those two. However nobody knows if LeBron will stay or if Yao will leave. I think Yao's decision will also depend on whether the Rockets re-sign Artest or not.

I meant salary cap wise.

By the way, Yao should leave only if the Rockets re-sign Artest.

unforseenone
06-19-2009, 03:52 PM
BEIJING (AP) - Houston's Yao Ming has called a possible move to Cleveland an "unknown," but did nothing to dampen ongoing speculation that the Cavaliers' new Chinese part owners want to sign him.

In a recent interview with his hometown Shanghai TV station, Yao said he continued to have "much affection" for the Rockets, the team that picked him as a first-round draft pick in 2003 and with whom he has played all six of his NBA seasons.

While Yao had not tasted a championship, he said Houston's drive to the second-round of the playoffs in 2009 had given him hope that the Rockets can contend next season.

Rumors of a possible switch have swirled since a group of Chinese investors signed an agreement last month with the Cavaliers to become minority owners of the franchise, a move expected to boost the team's popularity and marketing opportunities in China, where Cleveland star LeBron James is already very popular.

"This is all an unknown," Yao said in the interview, a transcript of which was posted online Friday.

"I've already been with Houston for such a long time, I still have much affection for this team," Yao said. "Moreover, this past season we were very successful, and that let me see some hope.

"Regardless of whether its a Chinese boss, or a foreign boss, they're both bosses and a boss is just a boss," he added.

Yao on Cavs rumors: It's all 'unknown'

View more photos >>Cleveland has not publicly expressed interest in Yao, who has one guaranteed year left on his contract with Houston, including a player option for the 2010-11 season.

Yao avoided injuries through the regular season before breaking his troublesome left foot in Game 3 of the second-round playoff series against the ultimate champion Los Angeles Lakers, raising lingering questions about his sturdiness.

His future, and that of the Rockets as a team, largely depends on his health, along with that of fellow all-star Tracy McGrady, who underwent tricky microfracture surgery in February.

Houston fans had envisioned a championship run after the team signed the unpredictable Ron Artest last summer, but both Artest and McGrady are uncertain to return.

Regardless of the Cavaliers' marketing plans for China, its hard to imagine Yao becoming any bigger in his homeland than he already is. The 2.26-meter (7-foot-6-inch) center is ubiquitous on billboards and television advertising and last year further bolstered his brand by setting up a youth charity.

Still, the lure of a championship remains strong and Yao conceded to feeling jealous of fellow China national team member Sun Yue, who snagged one this year with the Lakers.

"There's a little bit of envy. If I didn't have feel even some jealousy, then I'm afraid that really would make me a little too much of a slacker," Yao said.

if he came to cleveland do u think they have a shot for a title

Raps08-09 Champ
06-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Cuz I am. I thought the NYK threads about 2010 was annoying but there have been like 10 threads of different players going to the Cavs.

Lebron is my favourite player and I want the Cavs to get him help but this is just getting ridiculous.

GoatMilk
06-19-2009, 04:05 PM
everyone wants Bron to be MJ.
Cavs need help, so we get rumors.

Beno7500
06-19-2009, 04:16 PM

Bobby Jackson, Donte Greene

atl_braves_fan
06-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Lets look at this a little closer.

1) The possibility of the Rockets Trading Yao this year are probably small however if Artest does not resign and the Rockets feel that McGrady is done its feasible they blow it up and try to save cash. The Cavs can offer Ben Wallace in a deal that helps them achieve this. Lets remember as good it seems the general public thinks the Rockets are or could be they only have made it to round 2 once in the past few years with their current squad. One possible trade offer that could work would be

Cavs get Yao Ming C Hou

Rockets get Ben Wallace, Daniel Gibson, and a 1st round pick (2009 or 2010)

Gotta remember Yao has injury problems so if their thought process is as described this might be enticing as they could probably buy out Wallace and get under the luxury cap this season.

That would be worse than the Pau Gasol trade. The only way this would happen is if the NBA actually was rigged like all the conspiracy theorists say. It would not be nearly enough for the Rockets. Especially when you consider that the first round pick will most likely be 25 or later.

They would win about 15 games next year (after a moderately successful season this year). Also, if they wanted to simply free up cash, they could just not sign Yao after next season. It makes no sense to take on crappy players with bad contracts in order to free up money when you could just let your good players' contracts expire and free up the same amount of money.

In conclusion ... that trade is not feasible ... not in the slightest.

lakersrock
06-19-2009, 04:25 PM
LeBron sucks in the slow, half court game compared to him being in an uptempo offense. Yao is slower than a brick wall. I just don't think that one would work.

jgthealpha2
06-19-2009, 04:30 PM
How would a team defend those 2????

Trouble87
06-19-2009, 04:36 PM
that happens and ill shed a tear

xHTOWN713x
06-19-2009, 05:23 PM
yao will never leave houston. never ever ever. les alexander will do whatever it takes to keep him here $$$$$$$$ don't forget les is "predatory"

Reyes6
06-19-2009, 05:24 PM
Yi to Cleveland!

Reyes6
06-19-2009, 05:26 PM
And if Houston never traded this would be their line-up

PG- Francis
SG- Gay
SF- Jefferson
PF- Collins
C- Yao

Ew.

PhillyBoomerang
06-19-2009, 05:33 PM
never gonna happen...

YayBoston
06-19-2009, 05:35 PM
LeBron sucks in the slow, half court game compared to him being in an uptempo offense. Yao is slower than a brick wall. I just don't think that one would work.

Yao would be a great fit. The Cavs need an interior presence, but someone with some range.

And LeBron is just fine in a halfcourt offense. The Cavs were 25th in pace factor this year and they've never been above 18th with LeBron.

smith&wesson
06-19-2009, 05:44 PM
lol wow clevlands really desperate to try and keep lebron...

amare to the cavs,
shaq to the cavs,
yao to the cavs,

oh **** lebrons gone... no one going to the cavs either ... womp womp :p

the day houston lets go of yao is the day dallas lets go of dirk, maimi loses wade, clevland loses lebron... get the point ?? meaning yao is a number 1 Option not a number two... the cavs are just desperatly trying to get somone really good to make bron bron stay and if they fail, they also fail to resign bron bron...

BenFrank
06-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Yao is a Money cow for Houston.. and Yao state's in the article that he wants to stay in Houston, and the Chinese are loyal people.. so Yao stay's.. T-Lady goes

joeboow90
06-19-2009, 05:56 PM
it wouldnt even matter who else was on the team. with Yao and Lebron its game over.
just throw DJ Mbenga, Mike James and freakin Sasha Vujacic out there and they still win the championship.

ko8e24
06-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Way to go Plain Dealer.

The article says Yao was drafted first overall in 2003 and has played six seasons. The only player that fits that description is Cleveland's own LeBron James.

lol thats funny. yao (2002 1st overall), lebron (2003 1st overall)

jiggajay23
06-19-2009, 07:08 PM
yao + lebron = championship

shaq + lebron= no championship, lebron sighns with knicks along with bosh

Frank_003
06-19-2009, 07:35 PM
If Yao signs with Cleveland, then I will be much less concerned about Cleveland in the playoffs next year. Signing Yao probably costs them 10 games in teh regular season. Go ahead, sign him. that probably guarantees that Lebron opts out

prodigy
06-19-2009, 09:46 PM
one more time for the slow people out there.

The article clearly stated that yao can opt out in 2010-2011. So cavs would sign him, Not trade for him. Which is very possible. very very possible.

understand...

prodigy
06-19-2009, 09:52 PM
shaq + lebron= no championship, lebron sighns with knicks along with bosh

Lebron gets to NY, see's 30mill less on his paycheck, and see's a wasted opp with a very successful investment group from china.

Then checks his shoe sales, and see's he only sold a few more shoes by going to NY. lebron then looks out his hotel window, watching the rain fall. Thinking of his high school years, and playing ball in akron. Knowing that he will never be able to visit it again.

BallersTalk.com
06-19-2009, 10:05 PM
They're never gonna trade Yao. And I doubt Yao wants to sign with any other team.

jgthealpha2
06-19-2009, 10:10 PM
one more time for the slow people out there.

The article clearly stated that yao can opt out in 2010-2011. So cavs would sign him, Not trade for him. Which is very possible. very very possible.

understand...

People speed reading is a big problem on this webiste. Read, think, and react.

I was thinking free agent and not trade the whole time too.

prodigy
06-19-2009, 10:14 PM
amare to the cavs,
shaq to the cavs,
yao to the cavs,

Ya the cavs started all those rumors right? NO...

But yes the cavs have to keep lebron. Just like heat needs to keep wade, raptors in bosh. Every team needs to keep there superstars. How do people not know that?

ottograham14
06-19-2009, 10:36 PM
People first off this would not happen in a trade. It would be a signing so calm down on the whole trade talk. The chinese investors have already said that they would love to see Yao in Cleveland especially if Lebron was still there. Next year Yao has a player optiion so it would be up to him to see if he could get larger money elsewhere. The Cavs might be willing to give him that. Also the Cavs will have a lot of Cap next year as Z is coming off the books, Big Ben is and a couple other players. Now this all does depend on what they do this off-season but the Cavs could be able to sign not only lebron to a max deal next year but also another player. Once again though all speculation.

And for you douches that keep saying that you are tired of reading threads about rumors of who are going to Cleveland, stop reading them. They say in the title this player could be going to Cleveland. If you don't like it, move on to next thread. Sorry too that your team probably doesnt get any rumors about them cause they suck. Get over it and stop throwing in your two cents because they are worthless.

jiggajay23
06-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Lebron gets to NY, see's 30mill less on his paycheck, and see's a wasted opp with a very successful investment group from china.

Then checks his shoe sales, and see's he only sold a few more shoes by going to NY. lebron then looks out his hotel window, watching the rain fall. Thinking of his high school years, and playing ball in akron. Knowing that he will never be able to visit it again.

WRONG....Lebron comes to the knicks, gets a max contract, sets records for shoe sales (cuz its NY), jersey sales (cuz its NY), sold out arenas every game, becomes a huge celebrity in the greatest city in the world so he gets an endless supply of luxuries, commercials, signs more deals with other companies, his name gets even bigger around the world now that hes on a huge stage, international sales explode.............and if he wins the championship in NYC, will be treated like a god and will become an instant billionaire...............

OR, he could sign some stupid contract with chinese people, get a nice max contract with the cavs, not win a championship, and even if he does, have fun celebrating in ohio...the one skyscraper they have is really nice...lebron then looks out his manhatten skyscraper window, watching the rain fall. Thinking of his high school years, and playing ball in akron. Knowing that he will never be able to visit it again, THANK GOD!

Kakaroach
06-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Yao and LeBron on the same team= Unfair x2 Lol

Jays Claw
06-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Will not happen.

LakersIn5
06-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Ya the cavs started all those rumors right? NO...

But yes the cavs have to keep lebron. Just like heat needs to keep wade, raptors in bosh. Every team needs to keep there superstars. How do people not know that?

example 1:
1996 - Shaq signs with the Lakers

nuff said

philab
06-20-2009, 12:54 PM
example 1:

nuff said

Are you implying that the Magic didn't need to keep Shaq? That 14-year Finals drought seems to think otherwise.

I think you need to re-read what you replied to. 'Nuff said.

Mc Uncle Cola
06-20-2009, 01:18 PM
would be nice for bron bron...

thats just clevland trying to get him to stay

Born a Brave
06-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Great article comparing LeBron's game winner in the playoffs vs the Magic and Jordan's game winner over Ehlo in the 1989 playoffs.... Must read for all NBA fans..

http://www.atlantabravesnews.com/bornabrave/weblog/7634/le-shot-will-never-replace-the-shot.html

S.J.Basketball
06-20-2009, 07:45 PM
Shaq is officially the TO of the NBA.

EX-TREME
06-20-2009, 07:53 PM
yao and lebron on the same team= unfair

x3

IndyRealist
06-20-2009, 08:11 PM
Just thought I'd check, but even with draft picks for this year and next year, the Cavs will have more than enough room to sign Lebron and Yao to max contracts in 2010 (if they both opt out) or 2011 (if they both take their player options). Scary.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/cleveland.htm

cormacraig
06-21-2009, 07:10 AM
example 1:

nuff said

Bad example - In '96 Shaq was a much bigger star than Kobe, then a rookie.

EastCoastBaller
06-21-2009, 09:12 AM
never gonna happen...

Don't say "Never" or "Guaranteed" Because how do you know if it well never happens?

EastCoastBaller
06-21-2009, 09:13 AM
x3

x4

J-Relo
06-21-2009, 03:45 PM
interesting, but it all depends on Yao's injuries

Penetra8r
06-21-2009, 04:05 PM
No way

Frezhnitz
06-21-2009, 04:23 PM
wont happen but if it did, cleveland still wouldn't win a championship.

prodigy
06-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Yao is like a way way way better Z. They kinda play the same way... with outside shooting and all but Yao is way way way better at everything else. This will never happen its about as likely as Kobe going to Italy.

Because he's way way way more healthy lol. and younger. and bigger.

Why do people think this could not happen? if lebron does stay in clevleand, I think this is VERY likely. the connections are there, and if the rockets are not winning, then why not? Cavs will have the money.

Funny- this kinda sounds like the lebron to NY thing.