PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Steven A. Smith?

lavell12
06-19-2009, 03:20 PM
I haven't seen him on ESPN for months, he wasn't on during the playoff coverage when you would expect him to be. He was not on 1st and 10 against Skip Bayless in recent weeks. Did he get fired by ESPN?

JordansBulls
06-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Last I heard is that he turned down a contract from ESPN because he wanted more money.

nikefreek220
he probably got suspended or something. he was very open and had a big mouth at times. I kinda liked him, he wasnt scared to call people out and say the truth.

S-Dot
Quiet Frankly...he wasnt that good IMO. He only cared about Iverson, and now that he is soon to retire, poor Stephen just doesnt have it. As far as ESPN, Im not sure; he didnt really work well with 1st &10 outside basketball

MiamiHeat
06-19-2009, 03:25 PM
ESPN will not renew Smith's contract. His last day at the network, where he was a featured NBA reporter, will be May 1. "We decided to move in different directions," an ESPN spokesman said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2009/04/17/2009-04-17_stephen_a_smith_out_at_espn_as_network_opts_not _to_renew_contract.html

S-Dot
06-19-2009, 03:28 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2009/04/17/2009-04-17_stephen_a_smith_out_at_espn_as_network_opts_not _to_renew_contract.html

end of this thread i guess

WSU Tony
06-19-2009, 03:30 PM
I've never liked the guy. It doesn't really matter to me if he' not with ESPN any more.

still1ballin
06-19-2009, 03:35 PM
I miss him.

stags
06-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Talk about a guy who had very limited sports knowledge (outside of basketball) with a Jim Rome persona, combined with the fact that he was unnecessarily aggressive towards other analysts who disagreed with him. GOOD RIDDANCE!

EastCoastBaller
06-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Damn I was gonna make the same thread yesterday lol.

philab
06-19-2009, 03:46 PM
He should have been fired on the spot after the routine he pulled on 1st and 10 after the Browns hired Mangini.

"All I'm saying is I'm getting real tired of these kinds of hirings."

Maybe the most irresponsible journalism I've ever seen/heard. Not to mention that it was illogical and arguably blatant racism too.

JWO35
06-19-2009, 03:49 PM
He kept it Real :sad2:

jgthealpha2
06-19-2009, 03:54 PM
I like his approach. If he would learn to differentiate between knowing when to talk and knowing when to yell he could be a real asset. Hate to see him go. His snot is way better than most talking heads at ESPN.

USMCLaker
06-19-2009, 03:56 PM
To all of you that hated him :p

Who cares what he knew about sports he was entertaining why else do we watch TV.

Brooklyn Mets
06-19-2009, 04:12 PM
his fights with skip were awesome.. i'll miss that more than i'll miss him..

kb24ap28
06-19-2009, 10:47 PM
weird someone just told me today about him and i was like oh yeah i forgot about him. funny seeing this thread now

BTownTeamsRKing
06-19-2009, 11:10 PM
he was so entertaining. his strong opinions are a nice change from the sugar coating the other guys do.

xabial
06-19-2009, 11:27 PM
One of his highest points of his career
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PP4RT-vv-o

watch this if you dont know Stephen he tells the truth :)

But really hes my favorite analyst spoke his mind was never scared to tell the truth

NYtilIdie
06-19-2009, 11:51 PM
I guess this is one of them

"When keeping it real goes wrong" moments

He was real and was never afraid to go off on somebody or question a dumb call like when Iverson was voted onto the All Star team he called the All Star game a popularity contest and not based on great seasons. Thats why I liked him.

p.s. So what if he lacked knowledge outside of basketball he was hired as a BASKETBALL analyst not a SC anchor. You don't see them asking Mashburn about Mangini being hired or Mark Scherlath about how the Bulls were able to turn their season around cause he doesn't cover basketball cause he's a FOOTBALL analyst.

Living Legend
06-19-2009, 11:52 PM
he will be back.

Weezy
06-19-2009, 11:57 PM
remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j9nsqv9m6M

classic.

xabial
06-20-2009, 12:04 AM
remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j9nsqv9m6M

classic.

Beat you to it already posted it :D
Nobody posted this however skip to 0:50 same trade but different rant by smith :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq44jwL4BT0

Kakaroach
06-20-2009, 12:14 AM
his fights with skip were awesome.. i'll miss that more than i'll miss him.. x2 I loved those fights lol. I'm surprised ESPN decided not to re-sign him. He may have been crazy, but at least he wasn't boring, much like Skip.

dee279
06-20-2009, 12:23 AM
i actually liked him. He spoke dat truth.

blacknell
06-20-2009, 12:29 AM
He should have been fired on the spot after the routine he pulled on 1st and 10 after the Browns hired Mangini.

"All I'm saying is I'm getting real tired of these kinds of hirings."

Maybe the most irresponsible journalism I've ever seen/heard. Not to mention that it was illogical and arguably blatant racism too.

how was it racist

Mile High Champ
06-20-2009, 12:31 AM
I haven't seen him on ESPN for months, he wasn't on during the playoff coverage when you would expect him to be. He was not on 1st and 10 against Skip Bayless in recent weeks. Did he get fired by ESPN?

I hope he never comes back, the guy is an ***, He is the worst in the business..

Giants-49ers-Ws
06-20-2009, 12:38 AM
stephen a. was awesome, im gonna miss him..come to the bay area and work for KNBR Stephen, your definitely welcome.

Mile High Champ
06-20-2009, 12:47 AM
haha its things like this that make Stephen A Smith an ***...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkxePs7cjkw

He loves to flip flop!!

MickeyMgl
06-20-2009, 12:53 AM
He kept it Real :sad2:

He had street cred. He can put that on his job resume, too.

KG2TB
06-20-2009, 01:19 AM
I liked him at times, thought he COULD be on point and entertaining, other times he was just annoying and ignorant. It really was a crap shoot with him. Overall though he had some good moments and provided some laughs, whether it be with him or at him.

xabial
06-20-2009, 01:26 AM
He's gone, but watch this video if you hate him :D
This videos shows a fan heckling stephen A. lol he talks to Joakhim Noah, Brandon Wright, and many other impersonating stephen A with a sock puppet
FUNNY AS HELL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAB5lOIl-2U at the 2006 draft 2nd round
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvJGghOuFlQ&feature=related 2007 draft
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaqxreC2wgo 2008 draft
He talks to Derrick Rose, Michael Beasley, OJ Mayo, Kevin Love, Brook Lopez with a sockpuppet thats supposed to be stephen A, and he copies his voice Rofl

Little off topic but its has to do with stephen a and is funny as heck and i wanted to share it :)

cwilson21
06-20-2009, 01:32 AM
I didn't really care for him. How about doing another favor ESPN and not renewing Jemele Hill's contract too? Talk about horrible journalism.

BTownTeamsRKing
06-20-2009, 01:41 AM
I didn't really care for him. How about doing another favor ESPN and not renewing Jemele Hill's contract too? Talk about horrible journalism.

she got suspended one time for comparing cheering for the Celtics to cheering for hitler in an awful article that talked about her dream match up of Spurs vs. Pistons in the 2008 Finals, which turned out to be Celtics vs. Lakers.

she is ******** when she debates skip. she sounds so clueless.

NBA_Starter
06-20-2009, 01:57 AM
The guy was okay, he cracked me up.:cool:

KG2TB
06-20-2009, 01:58 AM
he's gone, but watch this video if you hate him :d
this videos shows a fan heckling stephen a. Lol he talks to joakhim noah, brandon wright, and many other impersonating stephen a with a sock puppet
funny as hell http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nab5loil-2u at the 2006 draft 2nd round
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evjgghouflq&feature=related 2007 draft
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naqxrec2wgo 2008 draft
he talks to derrick rose, michael beasley, kevin love, brook lopez with a sockpuppet thats supposed to be stephen a, and he copies his voice rofl

little off topic but its has to do with stephen a and is funny as heck and i wanted to share it :)

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xabial
06-20-2009, 02:01 AM
lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny as hell i know :)

PaleHose
06-20-2009, 02:01 AM
Good riddance, Steven A. Smith.

Fireworld
06-20-2009, 03:14 AM
He was funny.

Gnac76
06-20-2009, 03:56 AM
Slava med-va-denk-ko

philab
06-20-2009, 04:13 AM
how was it racist

It wasn't necessarily racist, but when you take into account that there was no basis for his claims, it certainly comes across that way.

If it was racist, it was because he was mad that Mangini, a white guy, got the job over a black guy. Not because of the Browns acting improperly/racistly, but just because Mangini was white.

Now, again, that's not necessarily the best way to interpret it, but it certainly comes across that way when he neglects to provide any sort of basis for his claims.

It's that neglect that made it horrendously irresponsible journalism. That's really my primary concern, not the potential racism. If there's something to report on, by all means go after it and vilify the Browns. Just don't start throwing **** against the wall hoping it sticks (or more appropriately, with a complete disregard for whether it will stick or not).

This has nothing to do with me being a Browns fan or any sort of [nonexistent] love for Mangini. That's merely coincidental.

Kyle N.
06-20-2009, 04:14 AM
I think he yelled too much but he always told it how it is and I respect him for that.

borat
06-20-2009, 05:32 AM
Smith was dramatic. Said things for shock value. Tried to hard to be an entertainer/personality.

However, it makes you wonder why they keep Skip around? Because he's basically the white version of Smith.

JaysFan87
06-20-2009, 10:58 AM
on April 17, 2009 announced on his website that he would be leaving ESPN on May 1st, 2009. The Los Angeles Times reported that ESPN commented that, "We decided to move in different directions."

PJAF
06-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Glad he's gone.

1amLEGEND
06-20-2009, 12:21 PM
x2 I loved those fights lol. I'm surprised ESPN decided not to re-sign him. He may have been crazy, but at least he wasn't boring, much like Skip.

I may be going out on a limb here(:eyebrow:) but it probably had something to do with him ALWAYS calling ESPN out for creating/making up stories & blowing things out of proportion with their 24/7 coverage on ONE topic:

Brett Favre, T.O., Shaq/Kobe, Barry Bonds, A-Rod, Lebron not shaking hands, Tom Brady's ankle b4 the Superbowl just to name a few...

He's the only guy that would even dare do that this day and age; not even my hero Jim Rome & he used to it allllll the time b4 he got a show there. Roasting the spelling b, bowling, how they use instant replay during sportscenter "The following is graffic in nat-SSSSNNNNAAAAPPP!!!!" :laugh2:
Van Smack doesn't do none of that any more & a fat check I'm guessing has a lot to do with it.

So, even if you hate Steven A. you have to admit he has balls taking on the Walmart/Halliburton of sports... while he worked for them. As always when a monopoly like ESPN has so much power & no competition on television, u can bet your ***** they're not going to tolerate "rage against the machine".:smoking:

BTW, helps when u have like 25 other gigs too LOL

1amLEGEND
06-20-2009, 12:23 PM
I may be going out on a limb here(:eyebrow:) but it probably had something to do with him ALWAYS calling ESPN out for creating/making up stories & blowing things out of proportion with their 24/7 coverage on ONE topic

Brett Favre, T.O., Shaq/Kobe, Barry Bonds, A-Rod, Lebron not shaking hands, Tom Brady's ankle b4 the Superbowl just to name a few...

He's the only guy that would even dare do that this day and age; not even my hero Jim Rome & he used to it allllll the time b4 he got a show there. Roasting the spelling b, bowling, how they use instant replay during sportscenter "The following is graffic in nat-SSSSNNNNAAAAPPP!!!!" :laugh2:
Van Smack doesn't do none of that any more & a fat check I'm guessing has a lot to do with it.

So, even if you hate Steven A. you have to admit he has balls taking on the Walmart/Halliburton of sports... while he worked for them. As always when a monopoly like ESPN has so much power & no competition on television, u can bet your ***** they're not going to tolerate "rage against the machine".:smoking:

BTW, helps when u have like 25 other gigs too LOL

philab
06-20-2009, 12:51 PM
^^ True, he was admirable in that respect. That's about as far as my taste for him goes though.

Jahari Kavi
06-20-2009, 01:13 PM
yeah I will really miss Screamin A.......hopefully TNT can bring him on........this is one of the downsides of having ESPN as a monolopy on the sports world...........

philab
06-20-2009, 01:24 PM
yeah I will really miss Screamin A.......hopefully TNT can bring him on........this is one of the downsides of having ESPN as a monolopy on the sports world...........

What are the upsides? I surely can't think of any.

Jahari Kavi
06-20-2009, 01:39 PM

me either...more of a figure of speech.........

1amLEGEND
06-20-2009, 01:40 PM

trade rumors lol

blacknell
06-20-2009, 05:04 PM
It wasn't necessarily racist, but when you take into account that there was no basis for his claims, it certainly comes across that way.

If it was racist, it was because he was mad that Mangini, a white guy, got the job over a black guy. Not because of the Browns acting improperly/racistly, but just because Mangini was white.

Now, again, that's not necessarily the best way to interpret it, but it certainly comes across that way when he neglects to provide any sort of basis for his claims.

It's that neglect that made it horrendously irresponsible journalism. That's really my primary concern, not the potential racism. If there's something to report on, by all means go after it and vilify the Browns. Just don't start throwing **** against the wall hoping it sticks (or more appropriately, with a complete disregard for whether it will stick or not).

This has nothing to do with me being a Browns fan or any sort of [nonexistent] love for Mangini. That's merely coincidental.

I think he said that at the time because Mangini is a losing coach and he can go and get another head coaching job while a black coach can't even though they have been pretty darn good so far the ones who have got a shot. And i think this all came about the time on espn when they were saying that nobody was giving black coaches a fair shot and talking about lane kniffin and that black coach from buffalo or something like that

Kashmir13579
06-20-2009, 05:20 PM
steven A was one of my faves. and espn made a big mistake by letting such good basketball analyst go.

Mikeleafs
06-20-2009, 05:31 PM

Good ridence! :clap:

philab
06-20-2009, 06:03 PM
I think he said that at the time because Mangini is a losing coach and he can go and get another head coaching job while a black coach can't even though they have been pretty darn good so far the ones who have got a shot. And i think this all came about the time on espn when they were saying that nobody was giving black coaches a fair shot and talking about lane kniffin and that black coach from buffalo or something like that

Congratulations, you've already done more than Stephen A. cared to do in the name of responsible journalism.

I know the context of his comments; it doesn't change anything.

It's still horrible (if you were a journalist). You think the hiring of Mangini smells? Do a little research; look into it. If it still smells, shout it from the ****ing rooftops.

Stephen A., however, cared not for such standards of journalism, common sense, and responsibility as a public figure. He saw a black coach get fired and a white coach get hired and that was enough to start screaming. It's despicable behavior for a journalist (for the average person, those not imbued with such responsibility, it's acceptable for the most part).

Do some research -- make a case. Don't start flaring racial tensions for no good reason.

It would be one thing if the hiring didn't pass the "sniff test," but it clearly did. A 24-40 record is pretty hard to defend. And all the talk in Cleveland was about getting a coach with experience -- similar to Belichick going to NE after his tenure in Cleveland. It did pass the sniff test. And all this is ultimately irrelevant anyway because it's still shoddy journalism.

Again, I'm not defending Cleveland here. If Lerner acted improperly, I hope they catch him -- it's inexcusable. I've seen nothing to suggest that he did, however. Maybe a little research would show the opposite, who knows? Maybe we would know if Stephen A. had done his job.

(I fear this may all come across the wrong way, so I hope everyone actually reads and understands what I'm getting at.)

prodigy
06-20-2009, 06:08 PM
He is a punk. disrespects everyone. Knows nothing about sports.

He now has time to have sex with and marry the knicks and yanks.

Caution1011
06-20-2009, 06:23 PM
his fights with skip were awesome.. i'll miss that more than i'll miss him..

i agree x 14857656896. The man was the truth:worthy:

VinceGully
06-20-2009, 06:25 PM
i didnt even realize he was gone...now i wish he was still there.

lol.

tcman2007
06-20-2009, 06:26 PM

You can now catch Stephen A. Smith on Nick At Nite: I guess he owns a car wash on the east side living in a deluxe apartment high in the sky. Oh, and he changed his name to "Mr. Jefferson"... "that's ignorant"

L'MAZZETO
06-20-2009, 06:28 PM
:clap:I'm glad ESPN didn't renew his contract!!!:clap: And I bet he didn't do the jiggly-wiggly dance on the way out the door!!! LMAO

xabial
06-20-2009, 06:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5TGa3yURF8
This video sums up his whole career in 30 seconds :laugh:

theimortalone
06-20-2009, 07:26 PM
He died! :laugh2:

BTownTeamsRKing
06-20-2009, 07:29 PM
start a petition to bring him back!

he was the most entertaining person on that channel. His outside the lines arguments about racism were awesome.

I am stephen A smith and everything i say is important. i wonder wat this guy is upto now that he isnt with espn

EDIT: I FOUND HIM!!!!!!

http://stephena.com/?p=165

Kidd>>>K-Mart
06-20-2009, 07:49 PM
he will be there draft day

Kidd>>>K-Mart
06-20-2009, 07:51 PM
i love hearing what this guy has to say, he doesnt give a ****

S.J.Basketball
06-20-2009, 07:54 PM
Steven A Smith was a clown. He was funny, but a complete moron. Bring him back though. He was entertaining.

xabial
06-20-2009, 08:04 PM
start a petition to bring him back!

he was the most entertaining person on that channel. His outside the lines arguments about racism were awesome.

I am stephen A smith and everything i say is important. i wonder wat this guy is upto now that he isnt with espn

EDIT: I FOUND HIM!!!!!!

http://stephena.com/?p=165

I'll say it agian i miss Stephen im going to start listening to his Podcasts on his websites though. He's still giving his inside thoughts on the sports world

xabial
06-20-2009, 08:47 PM
He died! :laugh2:

Looks that way doesnt it
its stuck in my head :laugh2:

_Supreme_
06-21-2009, 02:43 PM
He is somewhere else eating Cheese Doodles.

The hecklers at the NBA draft will sorely miss him.

2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAB5lOIl-2U

2007: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvJGghOuFlQ

2008: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaqxreC2wgo&feature=related

J-Relo
06-21-2009, 03:42 PM
he was cool...

EX-TREME
06-21-2009, 04:25 PM

cheezdoodles :laugh2:

J_M_B
06-21-2009, 05:40 PM
I'll miss him, he was so fun to watch on ESPN.

Ironman5219
06-21-2009, 05:47 PM
Everyone at ESPN must of gotten tiired of the headaches he caused from all his yelling, my favorite thing to do was mute his mouth and watch him go out of control!

J_M_B
06-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Do any of you guys remember when Smith ripped K'wame brown after the Pau Gasol trade?

MickeyMgl
06-22-2009, 06:27 AM

I like her, and she's sexy, too. Yeah, I said it. Jemele Hill is sexy.

PDT4LIFE
06-22-2009, 08:05 AM
NEVER EVER liked the guy. He was a New York guy that never won over the Philly faithful when working with the Philly newspapers. His own show on ESPN was terrible. He became attactive to people on ESPN due to his loud and confrontational style of reporting. A true "know it all" who never had a second source to back many of the stories he reported on. It was obvious he had a handful of sources in Philly and NY who were also friends, but could never due the proper networking in order to become a national reporting force for ESPN.

chickendinner11
06-22-2009, 08:14 AM
thank god. he is the biggest racist ever. on top of that a homer of all homers, no need for either as a "sports reporter".

Drewlius
06-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Peace out, can't stand the guy. A poor man's Spike Lee imo.

bahama0811
06-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Good riddance, he was annoying and obnoxious. I'm glad ESPN finally realized that.

lorenz00
06-22-2009, 02:30 PM
i heard he got shot LOL

prodigy
06-22-2009, 02:34 PM
I can't believe his ''inside sources'' would let this happen.

AKA- his cat fuzzy.

cwilson21
06-22-2009, 02:47 PM
I like her, and she's sexy, too. Yeah, I said it. Jemele Hill is sexy.

:laugh::laugh: Haha awesome.

Master Mind
06-22-2009, 04:28 PM
"When keeping it real goes wrong"-Chappelle Show

Kabowdos
06-22-2009, 05:03 PM
I think he was a little immature and annoying at times. That is probably why ESPN got rid of him.

CityofTreez
06-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Stephen A. Smith was the sorriest excuse for an NBA Analyst I've ever seen! Good 2 see him leave

jscotty8
06-22-2009, 08:46 PM
He sucked... That's what happened

Grim Reaper
06-22-2009, 09:14 PM
I think he's buried under Yankee stadium.

nikefreek220
06-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Do any of you guys remember when Smith ripped K'wame brown after the Pau Gasol trade?

hahahah thats why i like Smith.

xabial
06-22-2009, 09:19 PM

Ill mess the hecklers more than ill miss him :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5TGa3yURF8
du du quite frankly da da da ...however da da da slava duh du hduh cheese doodles duh duh duh ...