PDA

View Full Version : How much more do Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen have left?

JordansBulls
06-19-2009, 02:06 PM
How much more does Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen have left?

Like how long can they be still elite players in the NBA?

Hustla23
06-19-2009, 02:08 PM
*How much more DO Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen have left?

Brooklyn Mets
06-19-2009, 02:10 PM
i think kg has a few more years of great basketball left but ray allen is no longer an elite player imo.. he's still a good role player and better than a lot of guys in the league but i don't see him as elite..

lakers4sho
06-19-2009, 02:10 PM
2-3 years, even shorter if KG suffers another injury or if he doesn't come back 100%.

Same goes for Allen (if he suffers a season ending injury), although he's not a "great" player anymore.

S-Dot
06-19-2009, 02:14 PM
WIth KG's heart, until his knees fall off
Ray is a great shooter so though he may not be great, he will be effective for the next 2-3 years

hgtiger32
06-19-2009, 02:20 PM
yeah allen will be around for a while because of his lights out shooting. idk how hold robert horry was towards the end of his career but he kept hitting big shot after big shot

AsiandudePH
06-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Garnett, as long as his body permits him to, Allen, well, he's too good a shooter. He'll remain a threat for years and years.

ManRam
06-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Allen's getting close to becoming a mediocre at best player. He was shut down vs. Orlando. He can't create his own shot really, besides running around screens. JJ Redick chased him all series long and did a great job. If JJ is stopping you, you know you're slowing down. There are plenty of guys who can shoot. There aren't many who can create their own shot. HIs ability to do that is declining.

KG is "only" 33. And he's so lean, tall and athletic to start declining very rapidly. He has had knee issues, but I don't see that stopping him, assuming he rehabs well this summer. I see 3-4 more years of upper echelon play, and I see him playing almost into his 40s, and wouldn't be shocked if he did.

nikefreek220
06-19-2009, 02:32 PM
KG will start breaking down, his knees will start to give out ( already started) he wont be an ELITE player anymore just a regular all star.

Ray Allen is becoming a role player he cant carry a team, but he doesnt really need to since he has alot of help in Boston.

IMO the window is closing for Boston, maybe 2 years left.

dbow1920
06-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Allen is a shooter, maybe the best of all time...as long as his release stays the same he will be fine for a long time

KG is gona start to break down...his offensive production will start to slip, and after a few years so will his defense...I think that we may even see his PPG and FG% start to dip...i think that he will continue to be a dominant defensive force for the next 3 years at least

#24forPrez
06-19-2009, 02:38 PM
does it really matter the celtics cant compete with the lakers magic and cavs and imo the bulls are right up there in the east the celtics are done they will not when a title anytime soon the big 3 are to old and the bench is terrible and rondo isnt reliable at pg

nikefreek220
06-19-2009, 02:44 PM
does it really matter the celtics cant compete with the lakers magic and cavs and imo the bulls are right up there in the east the celtics are done they will not when a title anytime soon the big 3 are to old and the bench is terrible and rondo isnt reliable at pg

Healthy Celtics can compete with these teams easily. The Bulls dont belong in that conversation YET, they need to add some pieces and let Rose get some knowledge.

#24forPrez
06-19-2009, 02:49 PM
No they cant because they cant stay healthy those big 3 are to old and they cant last cavs and magic are younger and as a team have more talent the celtics rely on garnett and his knees are done and ray allen isnt a elite player anymore the celtics are done they need to do something with that team cuz they will go to the second round every year and be done and when they were healthy the lakers swept them in the season series and i know when the lakers are healthy the celtics cant run with the lake show

azkarraga
06-19-2009, 02:51 PM
two years at the most. allen is not elite any more, and kg, depends how he comes back.

ManRam
06-19-2009, 02:56 PM
No they cant because they cant stay healthy those big 3 are to old and they cant last cavs and magic are younger and as a team have more talent the celtics rely on garnett and his knees are done and ray allen isnt a elite player anymore the celtics are done they need to do something with that team cuz they will go to the second round every year and be done and when they were healthy the lakers swept them in the season series and i know when the lakers are healthy the celtics cant run with the lake show

What do you mean they can't stay healthy???

This was the first time KG had played in less than 70 games in 10 years. This is the first time he's dealt with an injury in a LONG time. One injury doesn't mean you "can't stay healthy".

Allen played in 79 games this last year. What shows you that he can't he stay healthy??

Paul Pierce has missed three games over the last three years. Again, why can't he stay healthy?

They are getting older, but they are far from ancient. Pierce is 31, just one year older than Kobe. Why aren't we talking about Kobe getting old. The others are 33...again, not ancient at all. The fall off will come, just not next year.

Allen is the only one I see a major fall off coming from next year, and he's already fallen off a bit. The other two will be fine. KG's knees will be good to go.

#24forPrez
06-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Im really talking about kg because he is a big guy and big guys take more of a pounding down low like you said allen is already off so he isnt goin to do much pierce will probably be fine but kg when you hurt your knee for a big it stays with you one little tweak and he will be done there is no way with that team right now they can compete for a title not against la orl and cle no way. Boston has no bench what so ever they are the 3rd best team in the east and possibly 4th. Your blind if you dont see it

sep11ie
06-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Neither are elite anymore. I put them both in the same category as T-Mac, A.I., Shaq, etc.

#24forPrez
06-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Thank you finally someone who makes sense

BouGa
06-19-2009, 04:29 PM
For a healthy Celtics team who started out 27-2, alot of damn people forget very quickly.

Since when does 1 big injury in a guys career put him below elite?

stop this ******** celtics hate, its pathetic. Ray Allen can play for 3-4 more years if he wanted to because of the physical condition he keeps his body in, hes not a slasher so that doesn't wear him down. Hes a shooter, case and point why Reggie Miller played so long in the NBA and was effective.

Your talking about 2 of the biggest conditioning freaks in the NBA, lets put a hold on they are done because 2 bad series from Ray Allen, and 1 big injury in Kevin Garnett's career.

Celtics were the 2nd best team in the East and only behind a few games with Kg out for a significant amount of time, but if that someone means we have no depth, than our old guys must be able to play some ball now.

And someone ban this 24forprez kid, this kid is beyond clueless, hes got his head so far up Kobe's *** its blinding him from even the most simplest nba discussions.

JayAllDay
06-19-2009, 04:43 PM
I think Allen has plenty of gas left. He is a natural shooter and doesn't seem to have landed on the bench due to injury much.

KG I dunno. He's a tall guy with a balky knee. He may never be the same. When that injury happened everybody was scratching their heads on how it happened. I still think NOBODY exactly knows what was/is wrong with his knee.

#24forPrez
06-19-2009, 04:47 PM
**** you bouga you wish you had the basketball knowledge i have your a blinded celtics fans your team is garbage and wont win a title agian with that roster your big 3 are past there prime other then pierce its over for your team they cant compete with the better teams in the league in a 7 game series the lakers are the champs get over it the celtics arent the champs the lakers are simple as that

juggla53
06-19-2009, 04:49 PM
Boston at some point in the near future will have to look at getting younger but they deffinatley still have one of two deep post season runs in them

op12
06-19-2009, 04:55 PM
**** you bouga you wish you had the basketball knowledge i have your a blinded celtics fans your team is garbage and wont win a title agian with that roster your big 3 are past there prime other then pierce its over for your team they cant compete with the better teams in the league in a 7 game series the lakers are the champs get over it the celtics arent the champs the lakers are simple as that

cant compete in a 7 game series? did you watch the orlando series? they took them to 7 without kg and powe. orlando and clev are both solid but to say boston isnt in that category and possibly above is crazy. it has only been one year since they destroyed your precious lakers in a series. the lakers are a great team but when healthy the celtics are on the same level. it will be a battle if both are healthy next year. they may be wearing down somewhat but are still a top 3 team in the league. ray has 2-3 more all star type years and kg, if knees heal as expected, has about 4-5.

#24forPrez
06-19-2009, 04:59 PM
hey op12 get outta here you are a fan of two nba teams win you become a true fan let me know in the regular season this year the lakers swept the boston celtics the celtics are done when the lakers are completely healthy remember the celtics beat the lakers without two of there starters bynum and ariza and without them we still made it all the way to the finals and the top 8 teams in the west are alot better then the top 8 teams in the east

LakeShowRaider
06-19-2009, 05:02 PM
A good amount. But not enough to win another title. They can still get there but I don't know about all the way.

Beno7500
06-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Allen hasn't been elite in 3 years

op12
06-19-2009, 05:04 PM
hey op12 get outta here you are a fan of two nba teams win you become a true fan let me know in the regular season this year the lakers swept the boston celtics the celtics are done when the lakers are completely healthy remember the celtics beat the lakers without two of there starters bynum and ariza and without them we still made it all the way to the finals and the top 8 teams in the west are alot better then the top 8 teams in the east

but the top 3 in the west are not better than the top 3 in the east. if you could learn to use periods and not ramble maybe we could understand your posts more. i agree missing bynum and ariza hurt, but like i said, if both are healthy they are on the same championship level. i give credit to the lakers. you are simply hating on the celtics.

not that i have to justify myself but we didnt also have a team in nc. so i pulled for the celtics my whole life. when the bobcats came around i thought i would give my support to them too as most people in nc dont. the celtics are my #1 team and always will be. i will hate the lakers for life but will respect them when they are good. try giving a little respect to another good team.

also it is spelled when not "win."

AirJordan23
06-19-2009, 05:12 PM
First of all, Allen hasn't been elite since like 2005. Furthermore, his upcoming seasons will be just like Reggie's years from 2000-2005. Ray doesn't have the athleticism or explosiveness to penetrate so he'll mainly come off screens and curls and get shots off.

Garnett will still be an elite player for 2-3 years. Not stastically but his impact goes beyond the stats. He can still anchor the paint very well and his work ethic is off the charts. He won't have Karl Malone longevity but he'd still produced at a high level for few years. His intangibles are possibly the best part of his game. Overall, I see Boston contending for 3 more years.

CELTICSBANNER18
06-19-2009, 05:17 PM
LoL i like how as soon as the Lakers won the Finals this whole board has been full of Lakers fans telling us that the celtics are no good. They had half there bench injuried, and one of their best starters gone for the rest of the season and we came within one game of making it to the confrence finals. The only one on that team though that i can sort of see starting to decline is KG but only if he doesnt come back 100%. #24 i do see what your talking about with KG's knees and while your playing KG's position you are always going to pounding your knees

BeantownBill
06-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Im really talking about kg because he is a big guy and big guys take more of a pounding down low like you said allen is already off so he isnt goin to do much pierce will probably be fine but kg when you hurt your knee for a big it stays with you one little tweak and he will be done there is no way with that team right now they can compete for a title not against la orl and cle no way. Boston has no bench what so ever they are the 3rd best team in the east and possibly 4th. Your blind if you dont see it

If you're going to talk about basketball knowledge then you might want to acquire a little before throwing barbs at others. Garnett, while definitely a 'big man', plays more of a perimeter game and relies more on his jump shot than banging down low, like say Perkins does. He hasn't had a history of injuries, in fact has stayed remarkably healthy throughout the majority of his career, so to think he won't recover from this injury is shortsighted and, frankly .. rather dumb. I understand being a homer, your "#24forPrez" name says all we need to know about who YOU follow.

To assume health is ridiculous. Any team can be laid low with one big injury. If the Cavs lose LeBron, they go nowhere. The Lakers are much deeper for the moment (depending on where Odom and Ariza wind up) but losing Kobe would hurt them enough that I think they'd wind up falling in the West. The Magic are a good team, the Bulls young and talented but they need a bit of seasoning before you can include them in any discussion of the top teams. They got beaten in a GREAT series by an undermanned Celtics squad.

If the Celtics are able to remain healthy (and yes, I agree that could be a big if) then they will be competitive and in the running for a title for the next 2-3 years. Of course, Danny Ainge may change the makeup of this team with Allen's contract expiring soon, so it's all up in the air.

YayBoston
06-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Allen has been on the decline for a while and has lost a lot of athleticism, but he's still a great jumpshooter and jumpshooters last a long time. He still has a couple more years of effectiveness. Garnett, probably the same. He'll probably lose some speed, but he's skilled enough that he can contribute in other ways.

PhillyBoomerang
06-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Kg coming off injury i think both have a few years left.. i think next year is key for the big 3!

blazerman
06-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Would we even be having this conversation if KG didnt hurt his knee(injurries are common in the NBA regardless of age), I think they could have repeated if KG had played or at least been in the finals.

Furthermore, didnt Ray Allen just torch the the Bulls for like 50 something points(52 I think). Well now that I think about, yeah he's really on his way down,please.

I think too many people look at the big 3's stats and see a slight decline in numbers and assume that they're washed up. I will remind you that you have 3 HOF's on one team and only one ball, so something has to give and in this case it's small decline in the points,assists and rebound columns.

On the flip side the big 3 all have a nice ring on their finger and further solidifying themselves with the greats.

Plenty left in the tank if you ask me.

BouGa
06-19-2009, 06:04 PM

LMAO, your basketball knowledge.

You just called Bynum a star, what'd he average a whopping 5 pgg in the finals, he averaged more fouls than points.

Hes an overrated bum who will never be as good as Laker fans make him out to be. Your absolutely clueless, your way of typing further proves your lack of overall knowledge, never mind nba.

cantstopthee
06-19-2009, 06:08 PM
get real with the allen haters,his stroke is still top 5 in the league

jiggajay23
06-19-2009, 06:42 PM
probably 2-3 years...its gonna be sad when in 5-6 years there are gonna be no more exciting old skool players left in the league...no kobe, shaq, kg, allen, duncan, etc... well be stuck with watching LEbron miss ft's and choke on buzzer shots while flopping continues to grow....we better hope there are some kobe/MJ's coming out of the next couple of drafts cuz im not gonna be watching if we're left with lebron (unless he stops acting like hes king/god, and develops consistent shot/ft's and a killer instinct, then ill love him)

ko8e24
06-19-2009, 07:27 PM
wutever the case, i'm not writing off KG just yet

YayBoston
06-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Furthermore, didnt Ray Allen just torch the the Bulls for like 50 something points(52 I think). Well now that I think about, yeah he's really on his way down,please.

Skill-wise, Allen has been declining for a while. He used to be really athletic and he was a great dunker. Now he's just found a different way to contribute by scoring. He doesn't bring the energy like he used to and you can see his ineffectiveness when his shot is off. When it's off, he has trouble finding ways to score. Allen's not an elite scorer like he used to be. The difference between him and a guy like Pierce is that Pierce finds ways to score even when his shot is off. Allen hits slumps by not being able to do that.

Chronz
06-19-2009, 08:39 PM
Can you name players who you were comparable to these 2, in terms of body type, skillsets? For KG I was thinking Dream. Mitch Ritchmond for Ray or Reggie?

GspLAL
06-19-2009, 08:47 PM
1 or 2 years.

thesparky33
06-20-2009, 10:29 AM
From what I've read and heard about KG's injury, I dont think it's even a given that he'll play again. They still havent told us what's wrong, and he hasnt had any surgery. That's not really a good sign...

mikantsass
06-20-2009, 10:49 AM
From what I've read and heard about KG's injury, I dont think it's even a given that he'll play again. They still havent told us what's wrong, and he hasnt had any surgery. That's not really a good sign...

Do some HW, they've told us and he's had surgery. I know it takes a few months for new to reach up to Minnesota, but this is the internet age dude

Gorgon2k
06-20-2009, 10:52 AM

longest sentence ever!

1amLEGEND
06-20-2009, 11:18 AM
enough left to win another ring.

WeaponX4life
06-20-2009, 11:19 AM

LOL

Without KG the Celtics took the Bulls down and brought Orlando to the limits. Orlando dominated Cleveland which you can't base much off of but it does make your argument futile when cleveland cant even give the Magic a series, whom the Celtics took to the limit.

PJAF
06-20-2009, 11:21 AM
IMHO they are both on the down side and not all-stars anymore.

IndyRealist
06-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Man this thread is ugly.

KG - He's been a pro since he was 18. An 82 game grind for 15 years is hard on a 6'11" body. Playing within the big 3 greatly lowers his workload, though. I'd say his real "basketball age" is more like 39 or 40. I'd give him two more years until he's seriously exposed.

Allen - Shooters age better than big men. There's less stress on their knees and back, and their effectiveness does not rely on athleticism as much. If Boston was running plays with Ray as the first option every time down, I don't see why he wouldn't be averaging 26ppg. I'd give him two years more as a second option, and two years after that as a 3rd or 4th.

Kakaroach
06-20-2009, 01:13 PM
I think they each have maybe two years left. Garnett has been through a lot in his career though lol. With the stress on his body, who knows when he could falter, just like he did this season.