PDA

View Full Version : Chad Ford says Wizards would have to give up this for Vince Carter

JordansBulls
06-19-2009, 11:03 AM
This is from an ESPN Chat with Chad Ford Wednesday afternoon:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/26986/NBA-Insider-Chad-Ford

Obama (Washington DC)
what would it take for Nets to deal Vince Carter to the Wizards

Chad Ford
I think they'd do it for just about anything that didn't cost the Nets a lot of money. the Wizards have the expiring contracts to make it happen ... if they are going for it ... they should consider it.I think No. 5, Mike James, Etan Thomas and Darius Songaila should do it.

Hustla23
06-19-2009, 11:09 AM
lol The #5 for Vince Carter and his wonderful contract?

Brilliant. Do it Washington. :rolleyes:

arkanian215
06-19-2009, 11:09 AM
hmm nets might actually consider it now that i'm rethinking this. not many nets fans show up for games right now. we should prep for the 2010 offseason. im not sure if we can cut/buyout songalia and not have him use his option. ratner is looking to save money and this might help. on top of that it might give enough space to bring in two guys. i dont know yet.

Joshtd1
06-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Sounds like the same deal I've heard that "would make sense for Manu" except that Songaila was replaced with Young.

arkanian215
06-19-2009, 11:13 AM
lol The #5 for Vince Carter and his wonderful contract?

Brilliant. Do it Washington. :rolleyes:

the thing is that carter is the only guy pulling fans into the izod center. i guess it wont matter much. anyone want to work out the math for me? what is the available cap space in 2010 if this goes through?

theuuord
06-19-2009, 11:28 AM
the thing is that carter is the only guy pulling fans into the izod center. i guess it wont matter much. anyone want to work out the math for me? what is the available cap space in 2010 if this goes through?

Depends on what the cap will be in 2010 in this economy, but Thomas is expiring, James is expiring, the no.5 pick will be a couple million in 2010....

In short the Nets would have a LOT of cap space. But they'd also have no players in general.

I personally wouldn't do this - not this year. The draft is too weak.

Kakaroach
06-19-2009, 11:29 AM
Nets would do it in a heartbeat lol. Really dumb trade for the Wizards though if they actually did it.

arkanian215
06-19-2009, 11:30 AM
i dont think the trade works. according to the trade machine etan thomas can be traded july 1st. that's after the draft. so how will the nets get the 5th pick and those guys for vc? i dont think the salaries will match up. w/o thomas nets take in around 10.5 mil, w/ thomas 17.4 mil. the #5 pick will have a salary right? or am i getting that wrong? maybe they get his rights and negotiate a contract. vc 14.7 goes to wash. (2.7 mil diff, nets +2.7 mil) we would have to use marcus william's trade exception. and i dont think it'll work if we use mo ager instead of the trade kicker. id rather get rid of ager. nets would be really thin in the backcourt.
harris dooling james
cdr dooling (5th pick?)
simmons hayes hassel
yi anderson
lopez boone swat thomas songalia

theuuord
06-19-2009, 11:32 AM
If that deal went through, here are the Nets in 2010.

Devin Harris (9 million)
Eduardo Najera (2.8 million)
Keyon Dooling (3.8 million)

Player option:
Darius Songalia (4.8 million)

Team options on:
Yi Jianlian (4.5 million)
Brook Lopez (2.4 million)
Sean Williams (2.5 million)
Ryan Anderson (1.4 million)

Assuming all of those get picked up (which they won't), that means the Nets have 31.2 million committed to 8 players, enough to sign one max contract, a rotation player, and someone else with the MLE.

arkanian215
06-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Depends on what the cap will be in 2010 in this economy, but Thomas is expiring, James is expiring, the no.5 pick will be a couple million in 2010....

In short the Nets would have a LOT of cap space. But they'd also have no players in general.

I personally wouldn't do this - not this year. The draft is too weak.

yeah we're definitely going to be weak after this. maybe we can bait them into giving us another first rounder, they would get lottery protection for 2010, top 10 for 2011, top 5 for 2012, and then compensatory picks if it doesn't work out by then.
i would like to see if we have room for a stud like lebron plus another guy. if we can fit two more, i'd do it. 2009-2010 only happens once but we can be set for the next five years.

arkanian215
06-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Nets would do it in a heartbeat lol. Really dumb trade for the Wizards though if they actually did it.

im skeptical of this.

arkanian215
06-19-2009, 11:36 AM
can we buyout songalia and not have him use his extension?

theuuord
06-19-2009, 11:38 AM
can we buyout songalia and not have him use his extension?

Anything is possible, lol. This is a fantasy scenario.

D-Train#35
06-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Are you kidding? Nets fans are actually opposed to this?

arkanian215
06-19-2009, 11:43 AM

yeah i dont want songalia picking up his option. i want lebron plus another stud or semi stud. i dont think we can get the sg of the future in this draft. im warming up to it though.

theuuord
06-19-2009, 11:44 AM

You mean Nets fans are opposed to dealing their captain, floor leader, and 90% of ticket sales for the 5 pick in a weak draft and expiring contracts?

Yes. Yes I am opposed to this.

theuuord
06-19-2009, 11:45 AM
yeah i dont want songalia picking up his option. i want lebron plus another stud or semi stud. i dont think we can get the sg of the future in this draft. im warming up to it though.

James Harden is the only guy close, and I do love James Harden. I wouldn't want to trade away Vince Carter to get him though.

Hustla23
06-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Lopez/ Hill :drool:

arkanian215
06-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Lopez/ Hill :drool:

umm im not sure i want hill. they say his max is chris wilcox. not to knock on wilcox but shouldn't we get someone with more upside?

JIDsanity
06-19-2009, 11:57 AM

Its bad for the Nets, who do we draft with the 5th pick? We don't want anyone that high outside of Jordan Hill, and Why would we want to give up VC?

arkanian215
06-19-2009, 11:58 AM
right who do we draft in this if we do choose to do it?

Mc Uncle Cola
06-19-2009, 11:59 AM
listen im the biggest vince fan ....but honestly... this might not be a bad idea

Lo Porto
06-19-2009, 11:59 AM

Devin Harris (9 million)

Player option:

Team options on:

Assuming all of those get picked up (which they won't), that means the Nets have 31.2 million committed to 8 players, enough to sign one max contract, a rotation player, and someone else with the MLE.

The Nets should trade Stromile Swift, Najera, Ager and #11 to the Jazz for Boozer. The 2009/10 team would be good enough to make the playoffs and increase their chances of landing a great player. Great players don't want to go to a loser. Also, the Nets need to sell tix next year and Vince helps that.

In 2010, you'd have:

Carter ($17)
Boozer (estimated $13 million)
Devin Harris ($9)
Yi ($4)
Dooling ($3.8)
Lopez ($2.4)
Williams OR Anderson ($2)

TOTAL around $50 million. The Nets could still get a very good player with the estimated $8 million they'd be under the cap. If they could find a team to take Dooling's expiring $3.8, the Nets could almost sign a max player.

THE MTL
06-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Wizards would have the talent, but I really feel like that team wouldnt work out.

Arenas-Carter-Butler-Jamison......I think they would lack in the chemistry department.

JIDsanity
06-19-2009, 12:06 PM
The Nets should trade Stromile Swift, Najera, Ager and #11 to the Jazz for Boozer. The 2009/10 team would be good enough to make the playoffs and increase their chances of landing a great player. Great players don't want to go to a loser. Also, the Nets need to sell tix next year and Vince helps that.

In 2010, you'd have:

Carter ($17)
Boozer (estimated $13 million)
Devin Harris ($9)
Yi ($4)
Dooling ($3.8)
Lopez ($2.4)
Williams OR Anderson ($2)

TOTAL around $50 million. The Nets could still get a very good player with the estimated $8 million they'd be under the cap. If they could find a team to take Dooling's expiring $3.8, the Nets could almost sign a max player.

Stromile Swift isnt on the roster

theuuord
06-19-2009, 12:07 PM
right who do we draft in this if we do choose to do it?

The obvious choice is Harden.

Chronz
06-19-2009, 12:09 PM

Devin Harris (9 million)

Player option:

Team options on:

Im not sure but Im pretty sure teams that are under the CAP dont get the MLE

Lo Porto
06-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Stromile Swift isnt on the roster

Well, that's no good. I guess the Jazz could take Simmons and #11, but that would mean they would pretty much be taking #11 for Boozer. If the Nets threw in another 1st rounder, that might be worth it.

theuuord
06-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Im not sure but Im pretty sure teams that are under the CAP dont get the MLE

Oh yeah, forgot about that. We could use it the year afterwards then.

theuuord
06-19-2009, 12:16 PM
Well, that's no good. I guess the Jazz could take Simmons and #11, but that would mean they would pretty much be taking #11 for Boozer. If the Nets threw in another 1st rounder, that might be worth it.

The Jazz are in no place to negotiate. Boozer doesn't want to come back and he could just as easily leave and give them nothing. Getting anything back at all would be a win for them.

HOZ THE KNICK
06-19-2009, 12:21 PM

Devin Harris (9 million)

Player option:

Team options on:

Assuming all of those get picked up (which they won't), that means the Nets have 31.2 million committed to 8 players, enough to sign one max contract, a rotation player, and someone else with the MLE.teams are not allowed to use the MLE when they are under the salary cap.

Lo Porto
06-19-2009, 12:22 PM
The Jazz are in no place to negotiate. Boozer doesn't want to come back and he could just as easily leave and give them nothing. Getting anything back at all would be a win for them.

You are absolutely right, but Detroit is the only team with the money to sign Boozer without having to use a sign-and-trade. OKC and Memphis don't seem interested. For NJ to get Booz, they'll have to give up something of value. Since the only value NJ has is Lopez, Yi, Harris and draft picks, I bet the only thing the Jazz can get are draft picks.

theuuord
06-19-2009, 12:32 PM
You are absolutely right, but Detroit is the only team with the money to sign Boozer without having to use a sign-and-trade. OKC and Memphis don't seem interested. For NJ to get Booz, they'll have to give up something of value. Since the only value NJ has is Lopez, Yi, Harris and draft picks, I bet the only thing the Jazz can get are draft picks.

I think you kind of bolstered my point. The race is between Detroit and NJ, and if Detroit wants him, they can just wait for him to become a free agent. Detroit doesn't have a lot of tradeable pieces that they'd be willing to give up for Boozer, and neither does NJ. That means that anything the Jazz gets would be more than they'd expect to. They might be able to get some seriously protected picks, but not much more than that.

The Nets and the Pistons have all the control in this one, and unfortunately for Jazz fans I don't see that translating into a steal for the Jazz. Take what you can get and run with it...

sep11ie
06-19-2009, 12:43 PM
I'm not buying it. Mike James could easily net the Wizards Kobe, Gasol, and the Lakers next 8 years of draft picks by himself. I don't know how the Wizards stole him in the first place.

Lo Porto
06-19-2009, 12:44 PM
I think you kind of bolstered my point. The race is between Detroit and NJ, and if Detroit wants him, they can just wait for him to become a free agent. Detroit doesn't have a lot of tradeable pieces that they'd be willing to give up for Boozer, and neither does NJ. That means that anything the Jazz gets would be more than they'd expect to. They might be able to get some seriously protected picks, but not much more than that.

The Nets and the Pistons have all the control in this one, and unfortunately for Jazz fans I don't see that translating into a steal for the Jazz. Take what you can get and run with it...

Very true. The Pistons do hold the cards. If they do sign Boozer and the Jazz get nothing, then at least we'll avoid luxury tax hell. However, if the Pistons shock the world and don't pursue Boozer, the Nets seem like the next best destination. The best deal for NJ and Utah is Simmons and 2 firsts for Boozer. Seems completely fair to me. The only other way is Hayes, Boone, Najera, #11 and other pieces for Booz.