PDA

View Full Version : Should the Timberwolves have picked Brooke Lopez?

DerekRE_3
06-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Instead of drafting OJ Mayo and trading for Love, should the Wolves have just drafted Brooke Lopez? Al Jefferson at the 4 and Lopez at the 5 is pretty young and scary. I know the T-Wolves also got Mike Miller in the trade and I believe they shed some bad contracts but still...I think I'd rather have two quality bigs in Jefferson and Lopez. You can definitely build around that. Love is going to be a very good player, but I think Jefferson would be better suited at the 4, and Lopez is proving to be on of the best players in the 2008 draft. Thoughts?

nycericanguy
06-18-2009, 04:19 PM
Instead of drafting OJ Mayo and trading for Love, should the Wolves have just drafted Brooke Lopez? Al Jefferson at the 4 and Lopez at the 5 is pretty young and scary. I know the T-Wolves also got Mike Miller in the trade and I believe they shed some bad contracts but still...I think I'd rather have two quality bigs in Jefferson and Lopez. You can definitely build around that. Love is going to be a very good player, but I think Jefferson would be better suited at the 4, and Lopez is proving to be on of the best players in the 2008 draft. Thoughts?

i think GM's in the draft feel pressured to draft certain guys with certain picks. And the T-wovles pick was considered "too high" for lopez. in the end alot of guys that go 10-15 turn into better players than the early picks.

DerekRE_3
06-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Actually I remember Lopez being a top 5 ranked guy in a lot of mock drafts. And I don't think GM's are that concerned with what the so called experts say on ESPN and draftexpress. If they were that good...they would be GM's themselves. Look at Geoff Petrie last year. He picked Jason Thompson, a Senior out of Rider #12 when he was supposed to go in the mid 20's. DeAndre Jordan and Darrel Arthur were considered potential lottery picks, and Arthur was drafted in the late 1st and Jordan fell to the 2nd round.

Raps08-09 Champ
06-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Brook wouldn't have gone top 3. He was the 4th pick at best.

xabial
06-18-2009, 04:40 PM

Back then :)

DerekRE_3
06-18-2009, 04:43 PM

Talent wise he may not be as good as a guy like OJ Mayo, but 7 footers are hard to come by, which is why in my mind taking him at #3 wouldn't have been a reach, especially considering how well he played last year.

13 PPG 8.1 RPG 2 BPG 52% FG 79% FT is pretty impressive for a young Center that didn't turn 21 until the end of the year.

JIDsanity
06-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Talent wise he may not be as good as a guy like OJ Mayo, but 7 footers are hard to come by, which is why in my mind taking him at #3 wouldn't have been a reach, especially considering how well he played last year.

13 PPG 8.1 RPG 2 BPG 52% FG 79% FT is pretty impressive for a young Center that didn't turn 21 until the end of the year.

There were plenty of teams that should have picked him, but Im glad my Nets did pick him.

Kyben36
06-18-2009, 04:53 PM
OJ mayo had to the the 3rd pick. its that simple. what they did with him was up to them. they could have told the Griz to draft Brooke, but the point is no. they should not have. OJ will be a star SG in the league. Brooke will be one of those good to above average C, but not the top tier like the shaqs, yoas, and Dwights, he will probably be around where Kaman is, maybe a little better.

king4day
06-18-2009, 04:53 PM
Actually I remember Lopez being a top 5 ranked guy in a lot of mock drafts. And I don't think GM's are that concerned with what the so called experts say on ESPN and draftexpress. If they were that good...they would be GM's themselves. Look at Geoff Petrie last year. He picked Jason Thompson, a Senior out of Rider #12 when he was supposed to go in the mid 20's. DeAndre Jordan and Darrel Arthur were considered potential lottery picks, and Arthur was drafted in the late 1st and Jordan fell to the 2nd round.

Arthur fell due to a heart condition though (I believe it was that).

JIDsanity
06-18-2009, 04:55 PM
OJ mayo had to the the 3rd pick. its that simple. what they did with him was up to them. they could have told the Griz to draft Brooke, but the point is no. they should not have. OJ will be a star SG in the league. Brooke will be one of those good to above average C, but not the top tier like the shaqs, yoas, and Dwights, he will probably be around where Kaman is, maybe a little better.

Hes already a star

DerekRE_3
06-18-2009, 04:57 PM

Really? I thought that was the concern with Nicolas Batum.

DerekRE_3
06-18-2009, 04:58 PM

Why did he HAVE to be the 3rd overall pick? Plus if I were Minny I just couldn't pass up the prospect of having Brook AND Jefferson up front. That's just scary good. And they traded Mayo for Kevin Love...I think he's going to be very solid don't get me wrong, but I'd rather have Brook Lopez instead of Love and Mike Miller.

I think Mayo is going to be a very good player, but there are tons of scorers in the NBA like him, there are not many legit 7 footers though that can hit 80% of their free throws and get over 2 blocks a game, which is what Lopez can give you.

theuuord
06-18-2009, 05:04 PM

Nah, it was either a kidney or liver problem. I think it was kidney, but either way it was an overrated condition.

Brook was projected top 3 early on but fell because he was slow in workouts and then was inexplicably passed on by a couple of teams. Either way, worked for NJ.

Kyben36
06-18-2009, 05:57 PM
Why did he HAVE to be the 3rd overall pick? Plus if I were Minny I just couldn't pass up the prospect of having Brook AND Jefferson up front. That's just scary good. And they traded Mayo for Kevin Love...I think he's going to be very solid don't get me wrong, but I'd rather have Brook Lopez instead of Love and Mike Miller.

I think Mayo is going to be a very good player, but there are tons of scorers in the NBA like him, there are not many legit 7 footers though that can hit 80% of their free throws and get over 2 blocks a game, which is what Lopez can give you.

Its just like Rubio has to be #2 this year. He is the 2nd best player on the board, and the #2 pick will not go and waste it. when you have a pick and there is a top prospect, you dont let the chance pass you up. Beleive me, Memphis will pick Rubio, and probably trade him for a nice value. If you pass on rubio, and you draft Thabeet, you will look stupid in a few years, because Rubio will be a beast, and will have good trade value.

Lets put it this way, Why did the Heat pass on him. Because Beasley is on the baord. You want them to pass on a beast of a player for a 7 footer because he is above average. Mayo was only a slightly less prospect than beasley. He HAD to be the 3rd pick. Now, should the timberwolves of told memphis to draft Lopez, Yes, but that was involving a trade.

And I dont agree with whoever said that that Brooke is a star, He IMO will never average more than 15 points a game. he will be a good C.

Ray_R
06-18-2009, 06:02 PM
The draft is a gamble. Brook looks better than beasley so whos to say why wasnt he the 2nd pick. Its all about potential and luck.

Hawkeye15
06-18-2009, 06:07 PM
They worked Brook out, and liked him a lot. But at the time, he was not considered a top 3 pick. And they liked Love a bit more. Now, would Lopez have filled a desperate need? For sure. But when you are 22-60, you take who you consider the highest value. That was Mayo. THen they were able to trade for another guy they considered of high value in Love while shedding terrible deals and getting Mike Miller in the process. The WOlves had a great draft.

mikantsass
06-18-2009, 06:10 PM
I agree Lopez and Big Al would make a nice frontcourt. I just dont know that you draft Brook that high in the draft.

They should have kept Mayo though. He's looking pretty good.

Hustla23
06-18-2009, 06:12 PM
Lopez and Jefferson would have been the best young front court duo in the league.

I have to admit I wasn't high on Brook Lopez but he sure proved everyone wrong.

Too bad for the Wolves. Love is a good player but he's not a true Center like Lopez is. You need a real center next to Al Jeff.

SeoulBeatz
06-18-2009, 06:15 PM
I wasn't too high on Love to be honest, but the guy did pretty well his rookie season and should be a good 12-8 guy his whole career, but i dont think he will ever be a superstar in this league, but thats not a knock against him because he's still a very solid player.

Lopez is incredibly underrated. I'm a diehard sixers fan but i moved to Queens 2 years ago and have been able to watch Knicks and Nets games ever since. Back to Lopez, the dude is way ahead of his time. Didn't he get get like 1.7 bpg too last season? He is a prototypical old-school center. He has great footwork and really reminds me of Tim Duncan. The nets got a steal there and i think Lopez is already the most fundamentally sound C in the east (way more than dwight, as u saw in these finals). He has an assortment of post moves and has a knack for getting rebounds even though he is less athletic than other bigs, he just knows how to body up and wont make any dumb plays.

I think Minny is content with the pick they made because Love is deceptively effective and as long as Big Al is in town he can cover up any offensive difficiencies that Love may have, as for the defense... we'll wait and see.

Raps08-09 Champ
06-18-2009, 06:15 PM
Hes already a star

Not really.

He has the potential.

DerekRE_3
06-18-2009, 06:33 PM
Yeah I just think Lopez has a much higher ceiling than Love does. I think Lopez could be a 16 and 11 guy, while getting over 2 blocks a game, while Love is probably going to be a 12 and 9 or 10 guy.

jimm120
06-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Its just like Rubio has to be #2 this year. He is the 2nd best player on the board, and the #2 pick will not go and waste it. when you have a pick and there is a top prospect, you dont let the chance pass you up. Beleive me, Memphis will pick Rubio, and probably trade him for a nice value. If you pass on rubio, and you draft Thabeet, you will look stupid in a few years, because Rubio will be a beast, and will have good trade value.

Lets put it this way, Why did the Heat pass on him. Because Beasley is on the baord. You want them to pass on a beast of a player for a 7 footer because he is above average. Mayo was only a slightly less prospect than beasley. He HAD to be the 3rd pick. Now, should the timberwolves of told memphis to draft Lopez, Yes, but that was involving a trade.

And I dont agree with whoever said that that Brooke is a star, He IMO will never average more than 15 points a game. he will be a good C.

See, I don't understand how people do not understand that point of view. Plus, no one wants to be the Detroit Pistons. It was obvious the Pistons needed to take Melo. They didn't. They went for "needs". And I'm sure Dumars felt that the team really needed that 2 minute a game 7 footer in Darko.

Same with Dwight and Okafor draft. Tons of people said that Okafor was more defensive and that he was more ready. And you know? They were right. That is why Okafor won ROY. But look at Dwight now, leading his team to the finals.

You just can't pass on these highly scouted players that are projected to be top 3 picks. Whatever, I'm still pissed that the Knicks selected Danilo last year. The guy spent the WHOLE friggin year out with a sore back. Who the hell has a sore back for a WHOLE year!

Hustla23
06-18-2009, 06:56 PM
See, I don't understand how people do not understand that point of view. Plus, no one wants to be the Detroit Pistons. It was obvious the Pistons needed to take Melo. They didn't. They went for "needs". And I'm sure Dumars felt that the team really needed that 2 minute a game 7 footer in Darko.

Same with Dwight and Okafor draft. Tons of people said that Okafor was more defensive and that he was more ready. And you know? They were right. That is why Okafor won ROY. But look at Dwight now, leading his team to the finals.

You just can't pass on these highly scouted players that are projected to be top 3 picks. Whatever, I'm still pissed that the Knicks selected Danilo last year. The guy spent the WHOLE friggin year out with a sore back. Who the hell has a sore back for a WHOLE year!

He didn't have a "sore" back, fella. He had a bulging disc which they didn't want to operate on because they felt Danilo could play.

He did play, just at around 60-70%.

You said teams should go after the touted 'spects and not draft for "need."

Well you know what, my friend, that's what the knicks did. They picked the kid with the highest upside and didn't pick for need because, frankly, small forward was one spot they had covered.

So I hope you can sit tight and give the kid a chance and see what he can do at 100%. Unlike many other knicks fans, I'm really glad we picked Danilo. He's shown alot of potential at playing at just 60%. I'm sure he will do amazing things when he's fully rested and healthy.

ragee
06-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Yes... He is so much better than Love... Mayo was a decent 3rd pick... He is a good player but if they didn't want him, they should have traded down and got something out of it then picked Lopez...

boeknows
06-18-2009, 09:44 PM
As a Timberwolves fan i liked how our draft turned out.

Kabowdos
06-18-2009, 09:46 PM
They should have just kept Mayo. I think they need a shooting guard much more than they need a big man.

boeknows
06-18-2009, 10:06 PM
We got rid of a lot of crap and got back two pretty good players.

Hawkeye15
06-18-2009, 10:19 PM
The Mayo/Love swap was about more than those 2. Minnesota got Mike Miller, and traded a terrible deal for a bad deal. Memphis got a SG, and a couple of horrendous contracts

juggla53
06-18-2009, 10:23 PM
They should have just held on to O.J. Mayo to make up for tradeing brandon roy, although i do think love is going to turn into a good player its just kind of hard to win with two 6'9 guys in your front court

brandonwarne52
06-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Yeah, what is that Kevin Love guy ever going to do but be the scourge of the league anyway.....?

Kakaroach
06-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Really? I thought that was the concern with Nicolas Batum. I thought it was Kosta Koufos. Thats why I thought he slipped all the way down to us. :confused:

DerekRE_3
06-19-2009, 12:20 AM
I thought it was Kosta Koufos. Thats why I thought he slipped all the way down to us. :confused:

Speaking of Koufos, I hope he gets more playing time next year. I think he could be the steal of last year's class.

bkmikeyy
06-19-2009, 12:54 AM
Lets not get ahead of ourselves Brook Lopez is no Tim Duncan. Duncan averaged 21 and 11 his rookie season. Brook is more of a Zydrunas Ilgauskas.
Ilgauskas averaged 14 and 9 and almost 2 blocks his rookie year.
Lopez is going to have a very solid career, but i wouldn't rate him as a star just yet

_KB24_
06-19-2009, 01:03 AM
I honestly feel sorry for the Wolves as much as I do for the Clippers some times. They don't know how to draft (besides Garnett) and always find a way to screw things up. I still don't believe that the BIG 3 ( KG, SAM, SPREWELL) only played for I believe 1 season? no more than 2 full. They could have built something around OJ who is going to be a great scorer, instead trade for Love, with no disrespect for the local boy, is going to be another Madsen.

allvalleychamp
06-19-2009, 01:42 AM
they should have kept oj mayo, just like they should have kept brandon roy...dysfunctional franchise!!!

brandonwarne52
06-19-2009, 01:43 AM
Love will be another Madsen?

Give me a break....

DerekRE_3
06-19-2009, 01:55 AM
Love will be another Madsen?

Give me a break....

Haha, he's gonna be way better than that. I just think that an Al Jeff/Lopez frontcourt would be freaking sick. Those are two guys you could definitely build around.

brandonwarne52
06-19-2009, 01:56 AM
Yeah, and you're right. However, I really, really like Love.

theuuord
06-19-2009, 01:58 AM
I honestly feel sorry for the Wolves as much as I do for the Clippers some times. They don't know how to draft (besides Garnett) and always find a way to screw things up. I still don't believe that the BIG 3 ( KG, SAM, SPREWELL) only played for I believe 1 season? no more than 2 full. They could have built something around OJ who is going to be a great scorer, instead trade for Love, with no disrespect for the local boy, is going to be another Madsen.

Oh dear God.

Not every white player who excelled in college is Mark Madsen.

These comparisons are starting to get ridiculous.

DerekRE_3
06-19-2009, 02:00 AM
Yeah, and you're right. However, I really, really like Love.

Yeah he looks like a double double machine and I love big men that can pass the ball as well as he can. Big guys like that are hard to find.

brandonwarne52
06-19-2009, 02:01 AM
....wish he was quick enough to play the 3.

thesparky33
06-19-2009, 02:32 AM
You bring up a valid point, Derek.

I honestly am content with how the draft wound up, because we got so much more than just Kevin Love with that #3 pick. We were able to restructure our salary cap so we can have only like 3 core guys under contract in 2010, and we got Mike Miller as well.

In terms of value, I think Love will be a better player than Lopez, but it is pretty tempting to want Lopez since the Wolves have such a glaring hole at center.

S-Dot
06-19-2009, 10:17 AM
They should have stuck with their original pick OJ Mayo: OJ + Al Jeff= Nat'l Coverage in the near future

arkanian215
06-19-2009, 11:40 AM
thanks for lopez. maybe the thunder should have gotten lopez. at least they have nenad now. maybe three of the teams picking before the nets needed a center but didnt get him. remember lopez turned in some of the worst speed and agility times. he also wasn't very strong or athletic.

boeknows
06-19-2009, 03:39 PM

Yeah the only thing OJ is going to be is a scorer. Not a defender or a passer or an assist man. The only thing he will be is a scorer and we needed someone that would do more than just that. And when u say Love will be nothing more than Madsen just shows how much u lack in knowledge.

boeknows
06-19-2009, 03:41 PM
They should have stuck with their original pick OJ Mayo: OJ + Al Jeff= Nat'l Coverage in the near future

Not every team wants to be in the national coverage and lose all the time like the Knicks do.

dolfan720
06-19-2009, 03:43 PM
no oj mayo is beast

Chronz
06-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Would Brook Lopez have gone ahead of Andrew Bogut if you knew how good he would be in year 1?

Hawkeye15
06-19-2009, 04:02 PM
no oj mayo is beast

he is Ben Gordon dude

Brooklyn Mets
06-19-2009, 04:14 PM
they should have just kep mayo..

jacquewho?
06-19-2009, 04:26 PM
I think keeping Mayo woulda been better, but that would be an interesting scenario to revisit. However, I think one of the bigger mistakes of last years draft will be the Bobcats passing up on Lopez and settling for Augustin. Don't understand that move at all.

arkanian215
06-19-2009, 04:53 PM
also it's brook, not brooke.

DerekRE_3
06-19-2009, 05:16 PM
I think keeping Mayo woulda been better, but that would be an interesting scenario to revisit. However, I think one of the bigger mistakes of last years draft will be the Bobcats passing up on Lopez and settling for Augustin. Don't understand that move at all.

I know....I was so excited when he fell, I thought the Bobcats were gonna take him. But at the time the Bobcats weren't sure what they had in Felton and they didn't know if they wanted to re-sign him or not.