PDA

View Full Version : What's better for a team? The Defensive Stopper or the Guy who can go at your Star

JordansBulls
06-18-2009, 01:32 PM
What's better for a team? The Defensive Stopper or the Guy who can go at your Star?

Let's say you have equal teams, both teams are 60 win teams (60-22) and one team has an advantage up front and the other team has an advantage in the backcourt.
Let's use Prime Duncan and Kobe (Two of the Top 3 players this generation) It is not comparing them, just using an example.

Is it better to have a defensive stopper like a prime Ben Wallace on Kobe's team to defend Duncan or is it better to have a guy who can go at Duncan and score on him like Amare Stoudemire (who averaged 37 ppg in a playoff series on him)?

Also is it better to have a guy like Battier defend Kobe or is it better to have a guy like Roy go at Kobe?

I'm more or less trying to figure out which strategy would make you more successfull in the given situations?

Any Observations of what you would do?

theuuord
06-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Offense wins championships, despite how the saying goes...

Sly Guy
06-18-2009, 01:35 PM
defensive stopper. Because if you've frustrated and shut down the other side's main offensive weapon, the rest of the guys who thrive on the shots he creates will suffer as well.

Joshtd1
06-18-2009, 01:38 PM
I would rather have the stopper.

JKiddFan4Life
06-18-2009, 01:44 PM
Offense wins championships, despite how the saying goes...
Tell that to Phoenix, because their high-scoring offense never won them any championships. I think it's got to be a solid combination of offense and defense, but I'd say the stopper as well.

Hellcrooner
06-18-2009, 01:48 PM
both systems work.

Bowen was that Stopper for Td

Gasol is that strong second scoring option for Kobe.

kingkobe
06-18-2009, 01:48 PM
I would have the stopper as in Battier over Roy. Roy(or anyone else) is likely to have more bad offensive nights than Kobe. So its better to have someone put all their efforts in trying to stop Kobe and have some other position do the scoring.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Depending who's better.

With your scenerio, I'd rather have Amar'e because he is better.

kingkobe
06-18-2009, 01:51 PM
both systems work.

Bowen was that Stopper for Td

Gasol is that strong second scoring option for Kobe.

Yeah but Gasol is more well rounded than Bowen is. Gasol's O = Bowen's D but Gasol's D > Bowen's O.

Amare fits perfectly here as his D sucks as much Bowen's O. And in that case I'll take Bowen's D which isn't based on probabilities(shot %) but straight up hustle (on which Bowen has total control over).

ManRam
06-18-2009, 01:52 PM
I'd rather have a go-to scorer. When the game is on the line, a go-to scorer is a must. One man on defense can only do so much. One man on offense can do everything.

And what if your defensive stud is a center, and the other team's go-to scorer is a guard. You're in trouble then.

Mane
06-18-2009, 01:54 PM
I'd say the stopper.

kingkobe
06-18-2009, 01:57 PM
I'd rather have a go-to scorer. When the game is on the line, a go-to scorer is a must. One man on defense can only do so much. One man on offense can do everything.

And what if your defensive stud is a center, and the other team's go-to scorer is a guard. You're in trouble then.

I'm assuming though that we are only talking about one position. For example, for Duncan you either have a scoring guy at PF or a strong D at PF. Now if you have a Ben Wallace type of player than obviously you have a goto scorer on your team. So I wouldn't worry about scoring from the PF position. In which case I'd rather have Ben Wallace at PF/C and some one else do the scoring(Rip/Billups).

heyman321
06-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Um..defensive stopper.

There will likely be other 15-20 ppg scorers on your team but not likely more than one prime Ben Wallace.

madiaz3
06-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Tell that to Phoenix, because their high-scoring offense never won them any championships. I think it's got to be a solid combination of offense and defense, but I'd say the stopper as well.

Don't think PHX ever got the full shot they deserved with the Amare + other guy who I forgot suspension going into game 6 or something

They would have beaten Utah and the Cavs too.

theuuord
06-18-2009, 02:45 PM

Okay, I will.

Dear Phoenix:
You had the most highly efficient offense in basketball for three or four years, but you never made the finals because teams below you also had great offenses, and they were more balanced overall.

For instance:

In 2005, you lost in the Western Conference Finals to the Spurs, who were both an excellent offensive team AND an excellent defensive team, and were able to force you to adjust to their pace, and not vice versa. That team ended up winning the Finals.

In 2006, you lost in the Western Conference Finals to a better offensive team (ed. note: high-scoring offense does not directly correlate to high-efficiency offense). That Mavericks team lost to a much more well-balanced offense and defense team in the Heat, who also happen to have this guy named Wade who is pretty good too.

In 2007, you lost in the Semis to the Spurs again, for the same reason: they were both an excellent offensive team and an excellent defensive team, and the overall balance was in the Spurs's favor.

In short, offense is more important, but that doesn't mean that being a porous-to-average defensive team will make up entirely for being a great offensive team, when the teams you face up against are both excellent on the offensive and defensive end.

Sincerely,
theuuord

theuuord
06-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Shane Battier is the stopper.

Kobe is the scorer.

Shane Battier is undervalued, underrated, and awesome. He makes every team way better than they were before him and leaves teams way worse when he leaves.

But the Lakers won.
And the Rockets lost.

That's basically what it comes down to.

Hellcrooner
06-18-2009, 02:56 PM
there is also another thing to that question.

I can see Duncan coexising with a High voltage scorer and not worryng the slightest bit if his second option guy outscores him in average.

How would Kobe react to having another dog in the hous who can score in 30s and demmanding the ball?

One od the keys for succes this season is Pau is humble and cares 0 for is numbers.

I dont see any other star out there ( expcet TD and Maybe Nash or Kidd) that would not have moaned at getting only 11 touches per game in the finals.

KOBE_VS_EVERY1
06-18-2009, 02:57 PM
whats best for the team is having a better player.

Hellcrooner
06-19-2009, 08:55 AM
^WHATS best is having a better TEAM

S-Dot
06-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Sell tickets- Go at a star
Win Championships- Defensive Stopper

JKiddFan4Life
06-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Defense does and always will win championships. Great defense leads to easier offense. You can have a great offensive guy on your team, but if he can't play defense then he's going to make a one-night superstar out of whoever he's guarding at the time.

TheBlackHole
06-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Ron Artest

clehmun
06-19-2009, 10:46 AM
well, even if you have roy on the team to "go at kobe"... the lakers don't have to put kobe ON him. the offensive player can't choose who defends him, but the defensive player can choose who to guard.

Chronz
06-19-2009, 01:19 PM
there is also another thing to that question.

I can see Duncan coexising with a High voltage scorer and not worryng the slightest bit if his second option guy outscores him in average.

How would Kobe react to having another dog in the hous who can score in 30s and demmanding the ball?

One od the keys for succes this season is Pau is humble and cares 0 for is numbers.

I dont see any other star out there ( expcet TD and Maybe Nash or Kidd) that would not have moaned at getting only 11 touches per game in the finals.

Pau is officially the posterchild for why players shouldnt worry about their statlines, if you focus on maximizing your role, the stats will take care of themselves. Paus #'s have never been greater, some of that is him coming into his prime but also with accepting his role. In the coming years though I can see Kobe letting him get more shine, and take a less assertive role in the offense.

Chronz
06-19-2009, 01:20 PM
well, even if you have roy on the team to "go at kobe"... The lakers don't have to put kobe on him. The offensive player can't choose who defends him, but the defensive player can choose who to guard.

bingo

J_M_B
06-19-2009, 01:35 PM
I'll take the defensive stopper