PDA

View Full Version : #4 PG In the NBA Today: Volume 2

Mile High Champ
06-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Hey guys, Some of you may remember but I conducted a poll at the start of the season that had PSD users vote for the top 10 players at each position. I would like to start this up once more considering the NBA season is now over and we can get to this discussion since lots has changed since the start of last season. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for one day and than we can carry on to the next best player at that position. I will add more players after each round...Enjoy.

In order to save some time, I will already name Paul, Lebron and Kobe as the best at their positions. There aint much reason to vote for the best at PG, SG, SF as we already know what they are.

PG Rankings DONT FORGET TO VOTE!!

1) Chris Paul
2) Deron Williams
3) Chauncey Billups
4)

Last Years PG rankings:

1) Chris Paul
2) Steve Nash
3) Deron Williams
4) Baron Davis
5) Tony Parker
6) Jason Kidd
7) Chauncey Billups
8) Gilbert Arenas
9) Jose Calderon
10) Andre Miller

Mile High Champ
06-18-2009, 09:30 AM
Its tough for me between Nash and Parker but I had to go wit Nash, a more complete player..

ragee
06-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Its tough for me between Nash and Parker but I had to go wit Nash, a more complete player..

Nash, a more complete player? That guy has no defense... What are you talking about... I picked Parker but if Rondo can continue to play as good as he he did in the playoffs, then he might be number 4 or even number 3...

Kakaroach
06-18-2009, 09:53 AM
Eh, I went with Parker even though I think he is the third best PG.

JayW_1023
06-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Parker is the second best PG in the league in my opinion.

dre1990
06-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Rajon Rondo

IndiansFan337
06-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Steve Nash.

Derrick Rose would be next on my list.

JayW_1023
06-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Derrick Rose is good, better than I expected...and I love how he has handled himself apart from the occassional gang sign or knife mishap...but putting him ahead of Parker is ridiculous at this point in his career. Maybe after next season we can talk.

LakersIn5
06-18-2009, 10:23 AM
LOL wtf how did billups become #3 after being no.7 last season???? he is the same billups he didnt improve at all, 2008 billups = 2009 billups. yeah he should be higher since baron and kidd sucked this season which makes billups no.5 but how can he be better than nash and parker? parker improved from 2008, nash is still the same except for the stats cuz of porter and billups is still the same so how did he suddenly become better than tp and nash?

kbaxter34
06-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Nash, a more complete player? That guy has no defense... What are you talking about... I picked Parker but if Rondo can continue to play as good as he he did in the playoffs, then he might be number 4 or even number 3...

He plays just as much D as Parker so yes he is a more complete player

JKiddFan4Life
06-18-2009, 10:39 AM
LOL wtf how did billups become #3 after being no.7 last season???? he is the same billups he didnt improve at all, 2008 billups = 2009 billups. yeah he should be higher since baron and kidd sucked this season which makes billups no.5 but how can he be better than nash and parker? parker improved from 2008, nash is still the same except for the stats cuz of porter and billups is still the same so how did he suddenly become better than tp and nash?
I must say, as a Kidd fan, at first I was thrilled when he went to Dallas. I thought with Dirk and Howard, Kidd would thrive, but the fact is that Kidd just doesn't work in Dallas' system. Kidd's biggest strength is and always will be his court vision, his ability to find the right players when their in the best position to score. Dirk is too good of a shooter and would prefer to create his own shots, therefore he prefers to come out and get the ball as opposed to making cuts to the basket. Howard has just been plagued by injuries and before that he really didn't want to play alongside Kidd, you could just tell. Devin Harris worked much better in the Dallas' system, in my opinion. Kidd came from a NJ team with 2 slashers and relatively nothing else and yet he was getting triple doubles nearly every other game and averaging double figures in rebounding and assists. Dallas just isn't currently the right system for him. Chauncey was very lucky to get traded to a team full of slashers and scorers and he's thriving because of it (that along with the fact that he's one hell of a shooter, of course, Kidd's weak point). To say that Kidd sucked, you obviously haven't been watching how much of an impact he has actually had on a team that he really doesn't mesh well with.

mikedesi1004
06-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Tony Parker

Chronz
06-18-2009, 10:42 AM

Because hes always been better, people just didnt notice, I tried to tell everyone how underrated he was last year, I cant believe he was #7, thanks for reminding me, the fact that he dropped so low spoke volumes about the general publics basketball IQ. Its sad that hes still only #3, but its a step up from last years debacle.

Now if only people could look past Derons flashy game.

kbaxter34
06-18-2009, 10:46 AM

The reason everyone voted Billups #3 is because of Denvers playoff run and Detroits calapse. Detriot with Billups 59-23 without 39-43. He is slightly over hyped but he should move up from 7th last season to around 4 or 5 this year.

I wouldn't say Kidd sucked he fell a bit but over all had a solid season. He kind of flew under the radar all season

kbaxter34
06-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Because hes always been better, people just didnt notice, I tried to tell everyone how underrated he was last year, I cant believe he was #7, thanks for reminding me, the fact that he dropped so low spoke volumes about the general publics basketball IQ. Its sad that hes still only #3, but its a step up from last years debacle.

Now if only people could look past Derons flashy game.

You think Billups is better then Deron or Paul?

Deron 19.4 10.7 2.9
Billups 17.7 6.4 3.0

Deron is the only reson Utah was in the playoffs, can't say the same for denver and Billups

mikantsass
06-18-2009, 11:16 AM
Gotta go with the French man on this one

GSRaider
06-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Nash plays zero defense
Gotta role with Parker

droalex
06-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Went with parker.

JWO35
06-18-2009, 12:53 PM
Tony Parker

ink
06-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Nash.

MilwaukeeBAller
06-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Had to go with Parker barely over Nash

Chronz
06-18-2009, 03:04 PM
You think Billups is better then Deron or Paul?

Deron 19.4 10.7 2.9
Billups 17.7 6.4 3.0

Stats with no context to them say nothing, how many minutes did they play, what kind of pace and system do they find themselves in, most importantly how efficient are they with their possessions?

When you breakdown their #'s Deron still comes out ahead but its ALOT closer than the raw per game averages you rely on. Now thats without mentioning the defensive side of the ball and you find yourself in a very compelling comparison. To me the x-factor lies in their playoff performance and the fact that Billups has that swag of a veteran than Deron tries to match, but he lacks the big game experience and know how of a 12 year vet.

Deron is the only reson Utah was in the playoffs, can't say the same for denver and Billups
The ONLY? Hardly, and Billups not being alone is why he led them to a better record than Deron did. You would have a point if Billups hadnt had led his team to 2nd in the West, and on to the WCF.

In a season where Deron didnt make an All-NBA team over TP or Billups, I would think Deron be taken down a peg.

MiamiHeat
06-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Tony Parker

DrDEADalready
06-18-2009, 03:12 PM
TP. and no that doesn't stand for Toliet paper..

GSW fan
06-18-2009, 03:18 PM
parker

Baller1
06-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Parker.

Burkey3472
06-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Tony Parker, no doubt here.

J_M_B
06-18-2009, 03:52 PM
It's between Nash and Parker, but I'll go with Parker.

FOBolous
06-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Nash. True Parker plays better defense but a PG's number 1 job is to run the offense and distribute the ball and Nash is miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiles ahead of Parker in that department.

Chronz
06-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Nash. True Parker plays better defense but a PG's number 1 job is to run the offense and distribute the ball and Nash is miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiles ahead of Parker in that department.

A PG's number 1 job is to do whatever his coach asks of him

Joshtd1
06-18-2009, 05:39 PM
A PG's number 1 job is to do whatever his coach asks of him

Bingo.

I hate how people knock on TP and say he can't run the offense like other PG's. He runs the offense just like Pop asks him too, and pretty damn well.

magichatnumber9
06-18-2009, 05:59 PM
I can't mention Rondo because I am from MA. So from picking the list above I got to go with C. Billups. Did a great job this season on both fronts D and O

greg_ory_2005
06-18-2009, 06:09 PM
I'd say Parker.

hgtiger32
06-18-2009, 06:16 PM
suggestion...since you have paul, kobe, and lebron as no doubter #1s at their position . I think you need to add Dwight Howard as #1 for C

azkarraga
06-18-2009, 06:20 PM
how many #X PG threads do we need? im feed up, ive lost my own PG account.

The Conductor
06-18-2009, 06:25 PM
u forgot keyon dooling

tland22
06-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Tony Parker is number 2 or 3 by the way....in real life that is.

jimm120
06-18-2009, 06:54 PM
Where is NATE ROBINSON!!!!!

Vinny642
06-18-2009, 07:07 PM
TP and u dont know what it is

ragee
06-18-2009, 07:12 PM
He plays just as much D as Parker so yes he is a more complete player

That is an overstatement... As much as I like Nash, I believe he is one of the worst defenders in the league...

JayW_1023
06-19-2009, 06:03 AM
Parkers playmaking ability is severely underrated...when Pops asks him to distribute he puts around ten assists most of the time. He is far more complete than Devin Harris.

If Parker played for any other team than the Spurs...he wouldn't be so underappreciated. No pg can finish better in traffic or accelerate in the open court. Parker is quicker than anyone else with the ball, except maybe Derrick Rose.

JayW_1023
06-19-2009, 06:04 AM
Where is NATE ROBINSON!!!!!

He's not even a point guard....he is a 5'7 SG wannabe.

kbaxter34
06-19-2009, 07:50 AM
Stats with no context to them say nothing, how many minutes did they play, what kind of pace and system do they find themselves in, most importantly how efficient are they with their possessions?

When you breakdown their #'s Deron still comes out ahead but its ALOT closer than the raw per game averages you rely on. Now thats without mentioning the defensive side of the ball and you find yourself in a very compelling comparison. To me the x-factor lies in their playoff performance and the fact that Billups has that swag of a veteran than Deron tries to match, but he lacks the big game experience and know how of a 12 year vet.

The ONLY? Hardly, and Billups not being alone is why he led them to a better record than Deron did. You would have a point if Billups hadnt had led his team to 2nd in the West, and on to the WCF.

In a season where Deron didnt make an All-NBA team over TP or Billups, I would think Deron be taken down a peg.

Their teams PPG are close Denver 104.32 Utah 103.56
minutes are close Deron 36.8 Billups 35.3
Deron gets the edge in efficiency 22.5 to 18.6
Deron gets the edge in Asts% (% of teammates FGs assisted on) 47.8 to 28.9

They lose one more game and they are 5th or 6th in the west. Its not like they separated them selves from the rest of the group. You make a solid argument for Billups I just don't feel that hes better then Deron at this point in his career.