PDA

View Full Version : NBA offseason trade/salary question

DenButsu
06-16-2009, 11:33 PM
Man, I've been digging around using the google for a while now, and I can't seem to find a straight answer to what I at first thought should be a fairly simple question:

Are trades made in the offseason based on players' salaries from the previous or the following season? I've always assumed it's the following, but I wanted to verify that after realizing it was just an assumption, but I haven't been able to.

Then, as I thought about it and dug around more, another wrinkle to the question came up:

Since the salary cap and luxury threshold limits are reset on July 1st, does that date delineate a difference between offseason trades made before July 1st or after July 1st? Or in other words, are trades made before July 1st based on previous seasons' salaries but made after July 1st based on the following seasons' salaries?

This can be moved to trade ideas after it's floated here a while, but I just wanted to post it in the main NBA forum to cast a wider net and hopefully get the correct answers more quickly.

Kyben36
06-16-2009, 11:39 PM
Im sure its based on next season, for the folowing reason

BG made 9 mil last season, but he is unsigned, so we cant trade him because next season he is unsigned, last season he was but the next is the one that matters.

Im am not sure on this, this is just an opinion.

lakers4sho
06-16-2009, 11:46 PM
I'm pretty sure it's based on the following season's salary.

abe_froman
06-17-2009, 12:29 AM
both are based off next seasons i believe..but kegger has the site with all the answers so he'd know for sure

superkegger
06-17-2009, 12:58 AM
Well, I can't give you a definitive answer.

From the CBA FAQ by Larry Coon (http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm), I get the feeling that as soon as a teams season ends, they're in the next year's salary.

From the way he words Q90, I feel pretty sure of it.

Teams may sign their first round draft picks (to a standard rookie "scale" contract -- see question number 41)
A second round draft pick can accept a required tender, which is a one-year contract offer teams must submit to retain their rights to the player.
A restricted free agent can accept a qualifying offer from his prior team (see question number 36).
A restricted free agent finishing the fourth season of his rookie "scale" contract can accept a maximum qualifying offer. The player will receive the maximum salary, but the actual amount is not determined until the end of the moratorium.

Teams may sign players to minimum salary contracts for one or two seasons.

All of those things are for the upcoming season's contract situation, so it makes sense that as of now, we're dealing with the 2009-2010 contracts.

:shrug:

That's as definitive as I can get, cause I don't really know. If someone would it would be gr824.