PDA

View Full Version : NBA Finals Ratings Down close to 10% this year in comparison with last year

JordansBulls
06-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Source: Yahoosports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aun1.IH99BasqxwSAcVTik68vLYF?slug=ap-nbafinals-ratings&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Television ratings for the NBA finals are down from last year.

The five games on ABC between the Los Angeles Lakers and Orlando Magic averaged an 8.4 rating. Thatís down close to 10 percent from last seasonís 9.3 for the six-game Lakers-Celtics series, which was boosted by Bostonís large market and traditional rivalry with LA.

Itís still up 35 percent from the record-low 6.2 for San Antonioís sweep of Cleveland two years ago.

Ratings represent the percentage of all households with televisions tuned into a program

AllTheWay
06-16-2009, 04:31 PM
After the game 1 blowout, many lost interest. Plus the hangover from what was supposed to be CLE- LAL cause many not to tune in. You really can't match Lakers- Celtics NBA wise.

S-Dot
06-16-2009, 04:35 PM
They still did well though compared to the rest of primetime TV; if it were LA vs. Cleveland/Boston, it wouldn't have been an issue. No offense to Orlando though.

king4day
06-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Game one's blowout turned me off.
After that I only tuned in to see Lee blow the layup in game 2 and Howard miss his FT's in game 4. Then I watched the last few minutes of game 5 just to see LA celebrate.
I guess they should be thrilled it was ONLY a 10% decline.

mikantsass
06-16-2009, 04:54 PM
No-one wanted to see Superman JR and Ron Jeremy JR get their behinds handed to them.

Plus no-one (other than Laker fans) wanted to see Rat Face get his MVP and 4th ring

S-Dot
06-16-2009, 04:59 PM
No-one wanted to see Superman JR and Ron Jeremy JR get their behinds handed to them.

Plus no-one (other than Laker fans) wanted to see Rat Face get his MVP and 4th ring

Im not a Kobe fan myself but Lakers fans make up a huge audience

_Sn1P3r_
06-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Not surprised. Many expected Cavs and Lakers (which would've probably got good ratings) and the Lakers finished it fast. It had its moments though, gotta say.

ARMIN12NBA
06-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Last year, there was an average of 15 million. This year, the average was 14.3 million. Not too big a difference.

Brew Crew
06-16-2009, 07:02 PM
Aside from fans of the teams, I think a lot of people get annoyed by the number of games. It's a little to drawn out...

Kakaroach
06-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Last year, there was an average of 15 million. This year, the average was 14.3 million. Not too big a difference. x2 And last year was one of the greatest rivalries in sports renewed.

GspLAL
06-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Watch, LA and Boston will make it in 2010 and the ratings will go through the roof, battle of the champions.

still1ballin
06-16-2009, 08:31 PM
not surprised

JordansBulls
06-16-2009, 11:33 PM
Anyone have an idea how many people usually watch the World Series and also how many watches the Superbowl?

jiggajay23
06-16-2009, 11:56 PM
alright listen up fellas cuz you might learn something....in any sport if you have put two teams together that have nice players with no drama your not gonna get as high a rating as two teams who hate each other and create drama cuz if the teams hate each other then the fans hate each other. In this years finals, dwight and kobe were friends and there was no drama other then what was going on in the court. Plus although most of the rest of the nation wanted to see kobe win, they also wouldnt have minded if the magic won. Both teams had a positive image and of course had the superstars.

with the celtics and lakers you have the rivalry and the bigger market as was mentioned. But you also have celtics fans who hate kobe, and lakers fans who hate garnett pierce and allen. then you have the world who hates all the floppers in boston while you have the rest of the people who hate kobe cuz hes cocky etc etc. then you have phil jackson who hates doc rivers, and all the drama from the flopshow pierce put on with the wheelchair acting, all the technicals, kg running his mouth etc etc...all in all more hate, more ratings. but let me mention that its gotta be hate with superstars, not hate with boredom which is what happened with the spurs pistons.

Big Ace
06-17-2009, 01:16 AM
Game 1 and Game 5, both "blowouts" had terrible ratings.

If you take out Game 5, the Finals this year were outdrawing (as in, more people were watching) last year's, which is a huge positive, considering the markets and the star power of the two teams last year.

The Lakers/Magic NBA Finals is attracting more viewers than last year's marquee Celtics/Lakers matchup.

The Lakers' overtime win in Game 4 of the NBA Finals drew a 9.4 rating and 16.0 million viewers on ABC Tuesday night, up 8% in ratings and 16% in viewers from an 8.7 and 13.8 million for Celtics/Lakers Game 4 last year, and the highest rated, most viewed Game 4 of the NBA Finals since '04.

The 16.0 million viewers is the third-most for any NBA Finals game since 2005, behind only Games 5 and 6 of last year's Lakers/Celtics series.

16.0 million...impressive for a game 4.

Like I said, on average it's not as good, but no blowout in games 1 and 5 (an Orlando W in Game 1 would've helped the ratings, as they're an underdog) and these Finals beat last year's.

Plus, they're down 10% in ratings, but they were much much closer in terms of how many watched than that.

kblo247
06-17-2009, 01:18 AM
I also thing game 5 was hurt by the switch to DTV

Gambeezy
06-17-2009, 02:13 AM

I definitely think the switch was a problem. There were a reported 700,000 people who called in the day of the switch who had no idea what had happened even though the commercial campaigns had been going on FOREVER warning people about the switch.

theimortalone
06-17-2009, 02:14 AM
What do you expect? :shrug:

Beno7500
06-17-2009, 02:21 AM
The Lakers made me want to not watch any game

Kyle N.
06-17-2009, 02:30 AM
I definitely think the switch was a problem. There were a reported 700,000 people who called in the day of the switch who had no idea what had happened even though the commercial campaigns had been going on FOREVER warning people about the switch.

:laugh: That's hilarious and sad at the same time. Anyway, Boston's fan base is bigger than Orlando's, but Orlando's fans deserve to watch their team in the Finals. Who cares who else is watching.

junion
06-17-2009, 04:03 AM
the constant were the laker fans.

then there's the boston fans form last year. they outnumber the magic fans.

it's basically simple math.

if you rule out all the casual fans, that 10% can be from the switch from boston fans to magic fans.

TheBlackHole
06-17-2009, 11:48 AM

I was going to say this exact thing. I know a ton of people without cable who just have an antenna that this affected, who either couldnt watch it and had to listen to the radio, or watch it somewhere that had cable. I knew before the game was even on it wasnt going to do that good for that reason.

CELTICS4LYFE
06-17-2009, 01:25 PM
simply because the red sox were on lol

Raidaz4Life
06-17-2009, 01:36 PM
simply because the red sox were on lol

Stupid Stern needs to make sure he doesn't schedule games at the same time as the sox... 9 times out of 10 he's gonna lose that one :pity:

primetime10
06-17-2009, 01:52 PM
the matchup was good, even though it was the lakers' title for the taking the whole way through.

the explanation for the ratings drop is insanely simple:

1. like a few said before, you just cant match the marketability of lakers-celtics. Its as if they allowed the yankees and the red sox to play eachother in the world series for just one season. People have been waiting for boston to meet la in the finals since the 80s. Seeing as magic johnson is now an analyst, thats officially a long-*** time ago. Orlando lacks depth in history past the shaq-hardaway days, and its essentially up to this howard/nelson/lewis/turkoglu group to establish something significant.

2. Everyone wanted to see cavs-lakers. EVERYONE. Once lebron is out, there will, from now until he retires, be a serious drop in ratings. a shitload of people tune into basketball games strictly to see what hes about.

Hellcrooner
06-17-2009, 04:23 PM
im not surprised.

things are the way they are.

to ahve good ratings you need Lakers from the west and one of these(bulls, knicks, celtics or even philly) from east the rest of the league doe snot matter.

Wich is sad.

Kyle N.
06-17-2009, 09:56 PM
im not surprised.

things are the way they are.

to ahve good ratings you need Lakers from the west and one of these(bulls, knicks, celtics or even philly) from east the rest of the league doe snot matter.

Wich is sad.

The rest of the league doesn't matter huh? Who cares what the ratings are. The fans of a team deserve to watch their team if their team deserves to be in the Finals. If the rest of America doesn't want to watch then good for them.

agoody117
06-17-2009, 10:21 PM
not surprised. last year was celtics and lakers a dream match up for the nba..not going to get that again.

Mave1002
06-17-2009, 10:33 PM
L

Hellcrooner
06-18-2009, 05:20 AM
The rest of the league doesn't matter huh? Who cares what the ratings are. The fans of a team deserve to watch their team if their team deserves to be in the Finals. If the rest of America doesn't want to watch then good for them.

Did you read my last words?

WICH IS SAD.

i dont like it but thats the way it is, outside of the Market of the teams involved Americans only turn on the tv if lakers are facing a Classical team.

dos132
06-18-2009, 07:59 AM
because Boston fans were more than magics fans...
and Lakers Vs. Boston was and epic match up...

Knowledge
06-18-2009, 08:29 AM
I think it was because the series was sloppy. There were more missed opportunities than great plays. Plus LA, the favorite to win, wasnt really put in a corner. They were up the whole series.

IndiansFan337
06-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Source: Yahoosports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aun1.IH99BasqxwSAcVTik68vLYF?slug=ap-nbafinals-ratings&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Everyone expected the ratings to be down in this series & the SA-Cle series for two different reasons. Obviously, neither combination combines to match the size of the markets of LAL-Bos. And secondly, the series were much more brief. For instance in the NHL Game 7 the other night drew a very high rating. And it is widely known that the NBA is more popular than the NHL. Imagine is LBJ got his Cavs to a Game 7 3 years ago, or if Howard led the Magic to 6 or 7 this year. Those 6th & 7th games would have certainly improved the overall ratings in each respective series.