PDA

View Full Version : Jason Kidd's Decision in 2003-2004 to stay with Nets instead of going to Spurs ....

JordansBulls
06-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Anyone remember that after the 2003 season Kidd was comtemplating going to the Spurs instead of resigning with the Nets.

Why was that? Did he feel the Nets had a good chance to win it all eventually? Why didn't he go to San Antonio?

Joshtd1
06-16-2009, 12:30 PM
I dont remember why he chose NJ over us...but no complaints, because that would have meant we would lose TP.....and we all know how good and essential he has been for us in our championships.

Tom81
06-16-2009, 12:31 PM
good for spurs

Chronz
06-16-2009, 12:55 PM
Money talks, and because he really thought Zo had enough in the tank to get him a title

MPScribbles
06-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Could have been a really interesting team in San Antonio. Kidd could have run the point and Parker at SG but they would switch on defense. I think that could have caused some huge problems for teams in terms of match ups. Either way it still worked out for Spurs and it goes down as another lesson to young athletes- strike while the iron is hot. If you take the bigger contract from the lesser team thinking that you'll get another chance at a ring later down the road, you probably won't and you'll end up selling your soul like Karl Malone tried to do to win his ring or on the "best to never win a ring" list like Karl Malone finds himself.

S-Dot
06-16-2009, 04:13 PM
he liked New Jersey and they offered him like $94 million if im not mistaken, and tony parker just won the title against him right b4 that offseason...it was a good choice

NetsMetsJets
06-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Because NJ rules.

I hope we move to Brooklyn soon.

JJ_JKidd
06-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Because he had some "unfinished business in Jersey." But actually it was because of his wife, the B!TCH wanted to stay in Jersey because she was a model right? It was not all about money.

"It would have been easy to go to San Antonio and play with Tim Duncan and those guys," Kidd said at news conference at the team's practice facility Thursday. "I have some unfinished business, and that is to win a championship in this league and win it as a Net. This is the best chance for me to win a championship." http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4176/is_20030725/ai_n14555557/

The Spurs won the Championship though, so who cares anyway? And Parker held is own against Kidd in that series right?

ARMIN12NBA
06-16-2009, 10:50 PM
New Jersey had great prospects after that season since they had just gone to the Finals two years straight. I'm sure he felt he could get the job done with a group of guys he had grown accustomed to playing with.

jiggajay23
06-17-2009, 12:20 AM
cuz san antonio had parker already so he didnt want to fight over minutes....plus san antonio is known as a boring place to live in at least NJ is near NYC and everyone knows the spurs are boring and full of floppers so thats more then enough to stay with the nets

juggla53
06-17-2009, 12:35 AM
i think a few reasons, first off New Jersey could and did offer him more money, second the nets were J.kidds team as opposed to San Antonio where as long as duncan if around he'll always be top dogg, and he also convinced Zo to come to new jersey when a lot of people thought he'd be healthy and the only thing the nets really lacked was a deffensive center like ZO. I think some people forget how good Kidd was at the time in the long term it worked out for the spurs but for a 2-3 year period that team would have been absolutley deadly

JayW_1023
06-17-2009, 04:56 AM
Beats me. I'm just glad he didn't because it would've slowed down the developement of Tony Parker.

GiantMetKnick
06-17-2009, 05:31 AM
You need to realize more than the basketball aspect. It's about relocating your family. It's about leaving friends, teammates, those you know well in the organization. It's not an easy choice...

JordansBulls
06-17-2009, 08:27 AM
You need to realize more than the basketball aspect. It's about relocating your family. It's about leaving friends, teammates, those you know well in the organization. It's not an easy choice...

Yeah, but like 2 years later he wanted out.

Drewlius
06-17-2009, 09:21 AM
cuz san antonio had parker already so he didnt want to fight over minutes....plus san antonio is known as a boring place to live in at least NJ is near NYC and everyone knows the spurs are boring and full of floppers so thats more then enough to stay with the nets

Ignorant little puke.

king4day
06-17-2009, 09:32 AM

If Kidd is getting around 100mil for the duration, minutes would not have been an issue. If he signed, then the PG spot was his.
Parker probably would have gone to SG as someone mentioned above, or they trade him for other parts that could have made them even better.

icon1914
06-17-2009, 10:04 AM
If Kidd is getting around 100mil for the duration, minutes would not have been an issue. If he signed, then the PG spot was his.
Parker probably would have gone to SG as someone mentioned above, or they trade him for other parts that could have made them even better.

If my memory serves me correctly Tony Parker was a FA that year as well. I think San Antonio had every intention on letting him walk if they got Kidd. Kidd was their first option, after he resigned with NJ they started to court Parker for a long term deal. So most likely if Kidd had come to the Spurs, Parker would be somewhere else.

As for why he stayed... it probably had to do with family issues. Kidd had moved around a bit, maybe he just wanted to stay put. It looked like NJ might have the pieces to be a force in the NBA for a few more years.

Joshtd1
06-17-2009, 11:02 AM
If my memory serves me correctly Tony Parker was a FA that year as well. I think San Antonio had every intention on letting him walk if they got Kidd. Kidd was their first option, after he resigned with NJ they started to court Parker for a long term deal. So most likely if Kidd had come to the Spurs, Parker would be somewhere else.

As for why he stayed... it probably had to do with family issues. Kidd had moved around a bit, maybe he just wanted to stay put. It looked like NJ might have the pieces to be a force in the NBA for a few more years.

Yes, Parker was a FA that year. Spurs were going to let him walk, because they were pushing extremely hard for Kidd.

Good thing that didnt happen

Reddd
06-17-2009, 12:02 PM
If Kidd would've signed the Spurs, I wonder what would Tony Parker could've been now...

jiggajay23
06-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Ignorant little puke.

if you think san antonios not boring to watch then you probably also like baseball and hockey dont ya...

KB24PG16
06-17-2009, 07:46 PM
the reason he didnt go is because his son didnt want to go to school in san antonio and kidd didnt want to leave his family so he decided to stay thats the real reason

IndiansFan337
06-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Anyone remember that after the 2003 season Kidd was comtemplating going to the Spurs instead of resigning with the Nets.

Why was that? Did he feel the Nets had a good chance to win it all eventually? Why didn't he go to San Antonio?

I bet that SA is VERY glad that he spurned them & they instead retained TP long term. Parker is younger, and currently the better player of the two.

todu82
06-18-2009, 10:09 AM
I remember those rumours. I wonder if he regrets it now seeming as how San Antonio has won a couple titles and the teams he has played for have won none.

JayW_1023
06-18-2009, 10:09 AM
if you think san antonios not boring to watch then you probably also like baseball and hockey dont ya...

I find Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili some of the more exciting players in the league...and I'm sure I'm not the only one. It's prolly the bland Spurs uniforms than make people percieve the Spurs as a boring team.

I find the Cavaliers more boring actually...even LeBron, as good as he is...is pretty predictable as a player.

jiggajay23
06-18-2009, 11:46 AM
I find Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili some of the more exciting players in the league...and I'm sure I'm not the only one. It's prolly the bland Spurs uniforms than make people percieve the Spurs as a boring team.

I find the Cavaliers more boring actually...even LeBron, as good as he is...is pretty predictable as a player.

well if you like watching ginobili flop, shoot free throws and get away with it then i guess thats exciting. If you also like watching that little punk parker go through the lane and make a layuup everytime because todays rules wont even allow the defense to touch him then I guess thts exciting to. I also love watching them cut to eva longaria every 5 minutes and when tim duncan makes those googly eyes everytime he gets a call against him...SOOOO EXCITING RIGHT?

theuuord
06-18-2009, 12:08 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/dmoore/stories/042209dnspomoore.34b655d.html

"It may be a silly excuse, but I wanted to try to win a championship on my own, and we had that opportunity in New Jersey," Kidd said. "Then, the Nets went in a whole different direction.

"San Antonio did everything right. I just didn't make the right decision at the time."

Does that mean he now wishes he had joined Tim Duncan and Co.?

"Well, they've won two championships since then," Kidd said. "I might have had a ring by now."