PDA

View Full Version : Honestly, I think Dallas would be the team that could use Iverson the most next year.

JordansBulls
06-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Honestly, I think Dallas would be the team that could use Allen Iverson the most next year.

If I were Dallas I would take my chances with him.

Having a Kidd and Iverson backcourt would be ideal. Terry already comes off the bench and Wright isn't exactly going to put a team over the top by any means.

A lineup of:

PG Kidd
SG Iverson
SF Howard
PF Dirk
C Dampier

What would the Mavs have to lose on that?

If not Dallas than whom?

bahama0811
06-16-2009, 11:53 AM
I don't think a back court of Kidd and Iverson would be a good fit. For Kidd to be most effective he needs to have the ball in his hands and make plays. And with Iverson you get a whole lot of dribbling and not a whole lot of ball movement. I don't think they could coexist all that well but I could be wrong.

I've got a ton of respect for AI but I just don't ever see him being a good team player.

Young2Kinsler
06-16-2009, 11:59 AM
AI is great, don't know if he is right for Dallas. Dallas needs to be all over Josh Smith right now, he is the answer for us, no pun intended... well maybe

Catfish1314
06-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Dallas gets enough offense from Dirk, Howard, Terry, and the offense Kidd creates. Offense is not really an issue for them. They need a center.

Ericka Dampier is horribly inconsistent, vastly overpaid, and essentially worthless. He'll occassionally show up as a strong producer on the offensive glass and blocking shots and he's a solid interior defender, but the Mavs need a more consistent man in the middle.

Big Ken
06-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Dallas needs Shaq not AI. Iverson needs to go back to the sixers now. Or the clippers.:D

RapssRULzzz16
06-16-2009, 12:33 PM
ive heard josh howard's getting traded. Plus i think they might get a little aged.

slyry
06-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Watching, or the lack there of seeing Iverson on the court this year in Detroit, leads me to believe that Iverson needs to pack up and head out for some Euro bucks. In order to successfully build a team around Iverson you need a young, defensive-oriented, playmaker at point. From there, you need a frontcourt similar to the Dikembe and Theo tandem he had in Philly. As you can see, Iverson either needs a time machine to get back to that team or as I suggested earlier, move to a Euro league.

GiantMetKnick
06-16-2009, 12:42 PM
If they could sign him to a one or two year deal, Minnesota is an intriguing place.

Jefferson and Love are your frontcourt answers. Move Mike Miller to the 3, and use a backcourt of Foye and Iverson.

Foye
Iverson
Miller
Love
Jefferson

I'm not in love with it, but it's an idea.

GiantMetKnick
06-16-2009, 12:46 PM
And if he took a MLE to play for Philly, that would be interesting.

Iverson
Iguodala
Kapono
Brand
Dalembert

or

L. Williams
Iverson
Iguodala
Brand
Dalembert

LA_Raiders
06-16-2009, 12:49 PM
That sounds good, but what about the D???

pd7631
06-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Watching, or the lack there of seeing Iverson on the court this year in Detroit, leads me to believe that Iverson needs to pack up and head out for some Euro bucks. In order to successfully build a team around Iverson you need a young, defensive-oriented, playmaker at point. From there, you need a frontcourt similar to the Dikembe and Theo tandem he had in Philly. As you can see, Iverson either needs a time machine to get back to that team or as I suggested earlier, move to a Euro league.

They never played together......Theo was traded for Mutombo.

LA_Raiders
06-16-2009, 01:03 PM
AI would be a good fit for the bobcats too...

Kakaroach
06-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Not a good idea. If he does go to Dallas, he and Terry could come off of the bench or Terry could start. The point is, with Howard, Terry and Dirk, they would never get enough touches with AI in the line-up. I think they need more defense now.

pd7631
06-16-2009, 03:16 PM
The Mavs need to start rebuilding. It's pretty clear that they are getting worse and teams like Portland, LA, Denver, Utah, OKC, New Orleans, and Houston are all on the rise or are already better than them. Like many other people have said, there's already too much offense on Dallas and bringing in AI would only make things harder for Rick Carlisle who would have to decide on how to run a team full of offensive minded players.

I feel like the two best fits for AI are Philly and Charlotte. If he came back to Philly I would be the happiest person on the face of the earth. But there's too much bad blood between him and Ed Snider(Sixers owner) for him to be brought back.

So that leaves Charlotte. Here's why he would work in Charlotte....

1.) Larry Brown......AI's most successful years were with Larry Brown as his head coach, and AI got Larry Brown to his first ever Finals appearance. Both have spoken highly of eachother and Larry knows just how to use Allen.

2.) The Bobcats roster is being molded into a defensive minded team with plenty of players who buy into the concept and are more than capable of playing with 100% effort on the defensive end night in and night out.

3.) There have been rumors of a possible deal between the Bobcats and Sixers in which the Bobcats would acquire Sixers center Samuel Dalembert. This is significant because Dalembert was drafted by Larry Brown and is a great defensive player(when his head is in the game). AI and Sam have played together in the past so they have chemistry. And a front court of Sammy D and Emeka Okafor could be the best defensive big man tandem in the league. I think a trade of Sammy D for Vlad Radmonovic and Nazr Mohammed would benefit both the Sixers and Bobcats. The Sixers would get another shooter and front court depth...and I've already explained what Dalembert brings to the table.

I know a lot of Bobcats fans think that bringing in AI would hurt their team, but I think that the situation in Charlotte is ideal for the both AI and the team.

The one thing that they would be missing would be a big PG who can play shut down defense....but I think a sign and trade with Ray Felton could get that problem solved. Plus they can afford to lose Felton since they have Augustin on the roster.

so the Bobcats lineup would look like this:

PG-player via trade/DJ Augustine
SG-Allen Iverson
SF-Gerald Wallace(terrific Defender)
PF-Emeka Okafor(outstanding defensive player....capable of being a good offensive player)
C-Samuel Dalembert(great defender when his head is in the game)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
BN-Raja Bell(Good defender/quality shooter)
BN-Boris Diaw(probably won't be as affective on the court with AI, but can do a fine job off the bench)
BN-12th pick(an energy wing player or defensive big man would be good for them....perhaps Gerald Henderson/Dajuan Blair/Tyler Hansbrough)
BN-Desagana Diop(decent backup center)

If I were a Bobcats fan I would be very excited about the prospects of having my team look like that going into next season. They would play hard, they would play defense, and AI would be able to fill the role of being the primary scorer which is what he does best.

clehmun
06-16-2009, 03:33 PM
sorry to disagree with you, but AI to mavs would be one of the worst fit.

kidd at his age is a very average defender. pair that up with AI, and it's a backcourt nightmare. both needs the ball in their hands to be effective.
AI will never win anything as the main guy, because as much as he helps his team, he also creates problems for them from his weaknesses. he has to realize he's more of a 2nd option/great role player now.

AI is very hard to build around, even at his prime. the whole roster has to be filled with vertsatile defensive players (tall PG who can guard SGs), who doesn't need the ball their hands, can rebound extremely well, hit open shots to stretch defense for him, defensive bigs who can help out when AI gambles and his man goes pass him. etc.

you pretty much have to go all in for AI or not have him on your team at all.

when AI realizes he has to play off ball, or not be the vocal point of the teams offense, play 2nd fiddle, etc, he will start winning some games.

Lakers09
06-16-2009, 03:47 PM
The Mavs need to start rebuilding. It's pretty clear that they are getting worse and teams like Portland, LA, Denver, Utah, OKC, New Orleans, and Houston are all on the rise or are already better than them. Like many other people have said, there's already too much offense on Dallas and bringing in AI would only make things harder for Rick Carlisle who would have to decide on how to run a team full of offensive minded players.

I feel like the two best fits for AI are Philly and Charlotte. If he came back to Philly I would be the happiest person on the face of the earth. But there's too much bad blood between him and Ed Snider(Sixers owner) for him to be brought back.

1.) Larry Brown......AI's most successful years were with Larry Brown as his head coach, and AI got Larry Brown to his first ever Finals appearance. Both have spoken highly of eachother and Larry knows just how to use Allen.

2.) The Bobcats roster is being molded into a defensive minded team with plenty of players who buy into the concept and are more than capable of playing with 100% effort on the defensive end night in and night out.

3.) There have been rumors of a possible deal between the Bobcats and Sixers in which the Bobcats would acquire Sixers center Samuel Dalembert. This is significant because Dalembert was drafted by Larry Brown and is a great defensive player(when his head is in the game). AI and Sam have played together in the past so they have chemistry. And a front court of Sammy D and Emeka Okafor could be the best defensive big man tandem in the league. I think a trade of Sammy D for Vlad Radmonovic and Nazr Mohammed would benefit both the Sixers and Bobcats. The Sixers would get another shooter and front court depth...and I've already explained what Dalembert brings to the table.

I know a lot of Bobcats fans think that bringing in AI would hurt their team, but I think that the situation in Charlotte is ideal for the both AI and the team.

The one thing that they would be missing would be a big PG who can play shut down defense....but I think a sign and trade with Ray Felton could get that problem solved. Plus they can afford to lose Felton since they have Augustin on the roster.

SG-Allen Iverson
PF-Emeka Okafor(outstanding defensive player....capable of being a good offensive player)
BN-Boris Diaw(probably won't be as affective on the court with AI, but can do a fine job off the bench)
BN-12th pick(an energy wing player or defensive big man would be good for them....perhaps Gerald Henderson/Dajuan Blair/Tyler Hansbrough)

If I were a Bobcats fan I would be very excited about the prospects of having my team look like that going into next season. They would play hard, they would play defense, and AI would be able to fill the role of being the primary scorer which is what he does best.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

mrblisterdundee
06-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Allen Iverson needs to be a shooting guard on a defensive-minded team that needs more scoring. That's what he was in Philadelphia. For that reason, he needs to go back to Philidelphia. Andre Miller is a true point guard. Andre Igoudala needs to stick with being a small forward. Other than Igoudala, though, Philadelphia is weak at the shooting guard position.
With Miller and Iverson, Philadelphia has one of the best back courts in the NBA, scoring-wise and distribution-wise. Igoudala can stay at small forward, and Thadeus Young can be the sixth man that keeps the 76'ers bench moving.

S-Dot
06-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Iverson to Philly with Eddie Jordan's offense could work...Gilbert stood out as a scoring PG with Eddie...and Philly loves him still

Jays Claw
06-16-2009, 04:37 PM
I would rather have Jason Kidd on the team then Allen Iverson.

DitchDat
06-16-2009, 04:57 PM
AI should retire. The man is killing his own legacy.

mikantsass
06-16-2009, 08:02 PM
I don't know what people see in Jason Kidd at this point in his career. In my opinion, he should be coming off the bench. He is not effective at all anymore. He gets embarassed on a nightly basis when he tries to guard other PGs and his jumpshot is non-existant anymore. He is still a servicable facilitator and rebounder.

I think Dallas should let go of Kidd altogether and bring in AI to run the point. No matter what, Dallas does not have a shot to make it out of the first round next year.

Chronz
06-16-2009, 09:28 PM

SG-Allen Iverson

I agree with this, AI could be usefull to a defensive minded team lacking offensive firepower like the Bobcats

thedfactor
06-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Dallas shouldn't be concerned about Iverson now. He would have helped more if it was say 5 years ago. Same thing with the Kidd trade and the talked about Shaq swap. All these players have played their best days years ago. The Mavericks focus should be negotiating with Atlanta about Josh Smith.

ARMIN12NBA
06-16-2009, 10:01 PM
Jason Terry is a much better player than Iverson and having Iverson would not allow for Terry to get much minutes (considering ego and reputation).

The best thing for Iverson to do now is to retire.

_KB24_
06-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Lets face it, AI is never going to win a ring as a starter.....

BRING HIM BACK TO PHILLY!

Young2Kinsler
06-16-2009, 10:38 PM
I don't know what people see in Jason Kidd at this point in his career. In my opinion, he should be coming off the bench. He is not effective at all anymore. He gets embarassed on a nightly basis when he tries to guard other PGs and his jumpshot is non-existant anymore. He is still a servicable facilitator and rebounder.

I think Dallas should let go of Kidd altogether and bring in AI to run the point. No matter what, Dallas does not have a shot to make it out of the first round next year.

You clearly don't watch basketball. Kidd had a brilliant year, and is the only reason Dallas made the playoffs outside of Dirk

dodie53
06-17-2009, 01:03 AM
Ai to the bobcats looks good

superkegger
06-17-2009, 01:12 AM
I think the Knicks should take him for a year. AI might not want a 1 year deal, but I'd just like to see him in that offense.

JordansBulls
06-17-2009, 01:15 AM
I think the Knicks should take him for a year. AI might not want a 1 year deal, but I'd just like to see him in that offense.

You think he could get them in the playoffs?

kblo247
06-17-2009, 01:17 AM

I would as well, but I would be more interestes in seeing him play with a coach who is a hard *** and whose team needs a guy who can score and create

That leaves 2 options
- Spurs because Parker and Ginobili have been injured a lot recently
- Jazz because at least he wouldn't get the Brewer treatment from Kobe :p

I wouldn't want him on my team personally, but I always wondered if Phil could reach him

superkegger
06-17-2009, 01:18 AM
You think he could get them in the playoffs?

Doubt it.

jiggajay23
06-17-2009, 01:19 AM
unless ai accepts being the second or even third best player, and agrees to take less shots, i dont see it working. dirk is the leader of that team and it needs to stay that way

OA SLAY
06-17-2009, 01:23 AM
How bout Paul A.I Posey West Chandler/or someone aquired ina trade

JayW_1023
06-17-2009, 04:13 AM
Iverson needs to hang them up seriously. The lesson Kobe has learned over the years about maturing as a leader is something Iverson has skipped throughout his career. If he cared remotely about winning over his own statistics he would've accepted any role on that Pistons team.

Whomever takes a chance on him is gonna have alot of headaches, and put team chemistry in serious jeopardy.

Chronz
06-17-2009, 04:17 AM
What is this perception about Kobe maturing his game? What exactly changed about Kobe, hes always been the same player, his teammates just got better. The rest of what you said may very well be true but Im just curious how all this got started, seems like every other year it was being mentioned.

kblo247
06-17-2009, 04:27 AM
What is this perception about Kobe maturing his game? What exactly changed about Kobe, hes always been the same player, his teammates just got better. The rest of what you said may very well be true but Im just curious how all this got started, seems like every other year it was being mentioned.

This article explains it perfectly:

Trevor Ariza tried to explain the other day, and he wound up stopping mid-sentence to convey what he was truly feeling.

"I used it like it was " he began.

Then he tilted his head back, turned his palms up and stretched those noodle arms out to his sides.

And he looked to the heavens.

"I used it like it was the Bible," Ariza said.

What we were talking about was the shooting-practice program given to Ariza entering the summer before this season by one Kobe Bryant.

The meaning of the gesture to Ariza and its net effect in transforming his jump shot and thus this Lakers championship team makes it the quintessence of the latter-day Bryant as a teammate.

He is a champion again, but he is an altogether different champion.

"He has become a giver rather than just a guy who is a demanding leader," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said upon the Lakers winning the NBA championship Sunday night. "And that's been great for him and great to watch."

We follow sports, but sports are really about people their success and failure, hopefully their growth. Win or lose, Bryant has always been the same in one regard: driven to the point of drama. At 30, he has grown glacially in other ways of life, however.

Through stinging defeat, years of contemplation and a head-high stack of leadership books given him by Jackson, Bryant has made a quantum leap.

He used to wonder why he should pass the ball to a teammate who hasn't practiced as much and isn't as skilled. Now he knows that he can guide that teammate to sharper practice and upgraded skills.

It's simplistic to say this is about trusting teammates. What must happen is ensuring your teammates are trustworthy.

It's a quality Jackson sought to draw out of Bryant before he was ready. Jackson failed to get Bryant to teach Isaiah Rider the nuances of the triangle offense. Jackson couldn't sway Bryant to gift a moment in the game for Devean George to find his rhythm instead of just looking to take over on his own.

"Phil is good at not only coaching X's and O's," Derek Fisher said, "but trying to make a guy be something that you want him to be."

So Jackson shocked his friends and family by returning to coach Bryant, who had begun to mentor Caron Butler and was ready for far more. Bryant yearned for growth, but three seasons with Lamar Odom as the inconsistent next-best Laker didn't produce a single playoff series victory.

Then last season, with Fisher back to help lead, Bryant's teammates started to show signs of improvement, especially young Andrew Bynum. Out of Bynum's hard work sprung renewed hope in Bryant, and then Mitch Kupchak came up with what he called Sunday night "a couple of lucky strokes" to land Trevor Ariza and Pau Gasol in trade.

It pushed Bryant forward even further in prioritizing his teammates' development. Sharing his personal shooting program with Ariza was akin to unlocking the vault.

"Getting that from him? Kind of cool, kind of cool," Ariza said. "Because before I got here, you always hear how he's this certain type of person. And when I got here, you realize he's not what everybody says he is.

"I just got in the gym every day and worked. I used what he told me, used some things that he gave me to do. And I just worked."

It worked. Ariza had made nine 3-pointers in his first four NBA seasons. This season, he made 61 as a prelude to his 47.6 percent playoff marksmanship that Bynum described with bugged-out eyes this way: "His shooting is ridiculous at this point."

Bryant made nine 3-pointers in the NBA Finals; Ariza made 10. Bryant made 37 3-pointers in the playoffs; Ariza made 40.

Twice in the second quarter Sunday night, Bryant drew defenders and kicked the ball over to Ariza, who stepped into perfect-form 3-pointers against the team that traded him. During that stretch that became a 16-0 run, the Lakers started settling on their summer smiles.

Asked about Orlando trading him to the Lakers, Ariza said: "I know they always knew that I could shoot the ball; that wasn't the issue. It was just the confidence."

Ariza is hardly the only Laker whose confidence swelled upon having the team's star and the sport's legend care enough to advise, not just chastise.

Bryant essentially taught Sasha Vujacic how to study scouting video, resulting in the gunning Vujacic evolving into a designated defensive stopper in the playoffs. Bryant would text-message Gasol at 3 a.m. with reminders about staying tough-minded, and Gasol came away from the season acknowledging that he was bursting with pride that he fought through this time.

Meanwhile, Bryant became obsessed with graduate-level Michael Jordan coursework: not dominating if it might disrupt the team's flow, definitely dominating if it's a tipping point where the team needs him.

Out of that came Bryant's 61-point inspiration at Madison Square Garden the game after Bynum's discouraging knee injury in Memphis. (Reggie Miller later called Bryant "a basketball genius" for that timing.) In the one scary series the Lakers had, Bryant delivered two blocks of Yao Ming in a three-minute span on Houston's court to alter the entire course of the Lakers' postseason run. Bryant's willingness in Game 4 to pass out of Orlando's double-teams leading to Fisher's 3-point heroics basically won the NBA Finals.

Those magic moments are framed art. Yet the clearest snapshots of this season are the little things

Bryant is leaning back in his chair on the bench in Cleveland a few more days beyond Bynum's injury, craning his neck to keep Bynum involved and engaged with specific advice about what Bynum could learn from a particular alignment that just played out on the court.

Bryant seems sure to fire away in Oklahoma City after Kevin Durant stops him on the previous possession, yet then idles down and instead waves Luke Walton into the post so Walton can use his extra three inches and 35 pounds against Kyle Weaver. The result is Walton drawing help and passing for an uncontested Odom jam.

Bryant stands and yells from the farthest corner of the court in Detroit when he was supposed to be resting on the Lakers' bench, trying to make sure Jordan Farmar knows while hounding Rodney Stuckey just inside the midcourt stripe that no pick is coming.

Bryant discreetly sidles up to Jackson in the final seconds of a playoff victory in Houston, acknowledging he hasn't really been trying to get the ball while the Rockets have been fouling on purpose wanting to give Ariza, Farmar and Gasol test runs with late-game free throws. "I can go get it," Bryant admits to Jackson.

Bryant strides over to Fisher early in a Finals game in Orlando while the Magic is shooting foul shots to tell him it's time for him to get a shot, which he will wind up making. But Bryant also walks down to Gasol to make completely clear how Gasol's pick must be so Bryant can make his jump pass to Fisher: "Come all the way up to me," Bryant whispers to Gasol.

The last game Sunday night was just more of the same.

That Bryant snarl that attracted so much attention this series? Bryant showed it again in the Lakers' whirlwind second quarter except it didn't come after he something he did. Bryant strutted up to Ariza with jaw jutting and brow furrowed because Ariza had stolen the ball and regenerated the Lakers' energy after a timeout.

As they walked off the court at halftime, Bryant and Gasol were talking just as they always seem to be. It was Bryant talking about Gasol's turnover, Gasol nodding, and the conversation ending. Before they could even take five more steps, Gasol was running up again behind Bryant and starting a new chat about some other strategy. That conversation ended with Bryant nodding and saying: "I got you."

Bryant won his first NBA MVP trophy last season by helping build a contending team, though ultimately it got no better than Bryant holding aloft that rust-colored trophy of one man alone with a basketball.

On Sunday night, Bryant was holding aloft the Larry O'Brien NBA Championship Trophy, a communal prize for everyone to pass around. Sixteen pounds of sterling silver, a 24-carat gold shine all around, and a team ball on top.

Bryant didn't really try to get another MVP award this season. What he tried to do and did do was make all his teammates more valuable players.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/bryant-ariza-gasol-2464110-lakers-jackson

LA's little boy who became a Laker @ 17 became a man in front of our eyes :clap:

He constantly worked on his game, put in countless time studying the sport, and he accepted the fact that he had to let others stand beside him.

D.Fish said it best after game 5:
Kobe was someone who you wanted on your team during the 3 peat years because you know that he wanted to win, but now you also want to follow him because he lets you stand beside him and gets that he doesn't and shouldn't have to fight battles by himself

TheDiggler
06-17-2009, 04:46 AM
Nah ! I like AI. But I think he needs way too much shots. Shots, Dirk needs.
If Kidd stays ... I would like to see Josh Smith with the Mavs and definitely ... get rid of Ericka Dampier ! That would be an improvement ...

Best AI fit ... is Charlotte. IMO.

JayW_1023
06-17-2009, 04:52 AM
Nah ! I like AI. But I think he needs way too much shots. Shots, Dirk needs.
If Kidd stays ... I would like to see Josh Smith with the Mavs and definitely ... get rid of Ericka Dampier ! That would be an improvement ...

Best AI fit ... is Charlotte. IMO.

Why do people keep saying that...simply because Larry Brown is coach? After the Sixers finals appearance, the Sixers spiralled back into mediocrity because Iverson was too stubborn to buy into Browns 'play the right way' philosophy. Eventually that caused Brown to give up on him and split to coach Chauncey Billups and the Detroit Pistons.

The last thing a young team on the rise with good young guards like Felton and Augustin improving NEEDS is a teamwrecking me-first malcontent like Iverson dragging them down. If Charlotte lands AI, Brown will die of a stroke next season. No kidding.

kblo247
06-17-2009, 05:13 AM
Why do people keep saying that...simply because Larry Brown is coach? After the Sixers finals appearance, the Sixers spiralled back into mediocrity because Iverson was too stubborn to buy into Browns 'play the right way' philosophy. Eventually that caused Brown to give up on him and split to coach Chauncey Billups and the Detroit Pistons.

The last thing a young team on the rise with good young guards like Felton and Augustin improving NEEDS is a teamwrecking me-first malcontent like Iverson dragging them down. If Charlotte lands AI, Brown will die of a stroke next season. No kidding.

I get what you are saying, but he needs to be on a team with an alpha male who won't take his ****.

- Kobe, Fisher, and Phil
- Artest, Scola, and Battier
- Pop
- Sloan
- Riley
- Stan Van Gundy
- Larry Brown

BlondeBomber41
06-17-2009, 07:00 AM
As a Mavericks fan I hope the Mavs front office doesnt feel the same way.

AirJordan23
06-17-2009, 08:24 AM

Not really. Brown was the coach for till '03 and the thing is he wanted AI to score because that team lacked offensive firepower. Iverson was playing the way Brown wanted him to. It was AI's attitude that he didn't like and ego issues. Not the style of play. Another reason was that the team simply couldn't win. A team that is offensively handicapped won't win a championship like the early 00s Sixers when you have 1 guy creating offense. Do you realize in 2001-2002 when AI was injured, the team went:

With Iverson: 35-24 (59%)
Without Iverson: 8-15 (35%)
Impact: +20 wins over 82 games

But, Brown hated him for his style of play cause he was killing the team, right? :laugh2:

TheDiggler
06-17-2009, 08:37 AM

Not really. I think Larry Brown doesn't really care if he can get AI or not. But, as I read the city of Charlotte has problems with keeping the franchise in town. So, best thing to do so is to get a worldwide known starplayer to town who maybe could make the team for the people and the media more attractive (which Iverson can be).

It's a marketing argument ... not Larry Brown.

wileyisTOFU
06-17-2009, 08:56 AM
yeah that would be a very old and small backcourt, and terry or ai would have to sit on the bench during crunch time

JayW_1023
06-18-2009, 05:08 AM
Not really. Brown was the coach for till '03 and the thing is he wanted AI to score because that team lacked offensive firepower. Iverson was playing the way Brown wanted him to. It was AI's attitude that he didn't like and ego issues. Not the style of play. Another reason was that the team simply couldn't win. A team that is offensively handicapped won't win a championship like the early 00s Sixers when you have 1 guy creating offense. Do you realize in 2001-2002 when AI was injured, the team went:

With Iverson: 35-24 (59%)
Without Iverson: 8-15 (35%)
Impact: +20 wins over 82 games

But, Brown hated him for his style of play cause he was killing the team, right? :laugh2:

Larry Brown is a team coach in the first sense. Of course he was weary of running his offense through one player because his philosophy has always been to make the extra pass. You won't get that with AI as your offensive focus.

Of course he was the only one who made AI remote effective as the focal point. But it was still against how he would rather like to coach a team. He always prefers coaching a squad where the offense is distributed in a more balanced way...like those Pistons teams.

Larry Brown and AI settled their off court differences mostly when the Sixers reached the Finals in 2001. AI's decisionmaking was really splitting the most heirs with Brown, and Iversons refusal to involve his teammates on a consistent basis.

Of course the win percentage would rise when AI played because he was the only Sixer who could effectively create his own shot. But those Sixer teams stopped being Eastern Conference contenders after that one title shot in 2001. That fact remains.

Playing with AI caused three time NBA champion Toni Kukoc to be so fed up with the NBA game that he openly called american players 'selfish' in the media when he left Philadelpia.

IndiansFan337
06-18-2009, 10:10 AM
Honestly, I think Dallas would be the team that could use Allen Iverson the most next year.

If I were Dallas I would take my chances with him.

Having a Kidd and Iverson backcourt would be ideal. Terry already comes off the bench and Wright isn't exactly going to put a team over the top by any means.

A lineup of:

PG Kidd
SG Iverson
SF Howard
PF Dirk
C Dampier

What would the Mavs have to lose on that?

If not Dallas than whom?
I think he will end up in Charlotte.

Dallas does need more offense out of a few positions though. They had some weak offensive players at PG, starting SG (when JET came off the bench), & C. And SF as well when Howard was out. I think they need someone like Grant Hill. I don't think they need a volume shooter, but solid scorers who can knock down open shots & don't need the ball in their hands all of the time.

JordansBulls
06-18-2009, 10:42 AM
First off I didn't realize that Kidd's contract ended this season. Is he staying with Dallas?