PDA

View Full Version : Kobe is a Likeable Guy

JordansBulls
06-16-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm happy for him. He has changed soo much. I saw him in the interview with Kenny, Charles, Ernie and he appreciated that it was his team that deserved the credit and generally speaking most guys do that. But he was just happy.
They also asked him if he would guarantee a title next year and said he doesn't want to do what Pat Riley and Shaq does. He said he has soo much respect for his opponents out west and that he was just happy to get out of the west this year. Sounds like a guy who is likeable to me.

BRADY4MVP
06-16-2009, 10:24 AM
likeable as a player? sure, he is one of the all time greats

likeable as a person? not even close

Cubs Win
06-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Totally agree. Not that I hated him before, I just didn't really like him. But after seeing him in the interviews after the championship, I definitely like him and respect him a lot more.

Wilson
06-16-2009, 10:25 AM
He really has matured since Shaq left. I thought that missing the play-offs that first year without Shaq changed him a lot, and all the experiences since then have helped him to grow up, on and off the court.

He's been able to gain a lot of respect for his team-mates, as well as still being demanding enough to get the best out of them. It's been a joy to watch, hopefully him and the Lakers keep the good times rolling over the next few years :up:

Kakaroach
He seems really changed from his days just a few years ago. I remember when it was all about Kobe Kobe Kobe and driving Shaq out of town and having a 35 PPG season. Now, he actually seems like a real leader and a nice guy. I think this was most apparent in "Kobe Doin Work". At first, I couldn't believe it was actually Kobe lol.

Wilson
If anyone has any videos of the interviews, I'd really appreciate it if you could post it. I've not seen anything after the trophy presentations.

Lo Porto
06-16-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm not a Kobe fan, but I've always respected him. As time goes by, the respect grows. His attitude has gotten better every single year and he is a true leader now. And you've got to respect his intelligence. The guy is fluent in 4 or 5 languages and is committed to his profession like none other. As a player, I think he'll go down as one of the best ever. I almost hope he catches MJ's 6 titles just to show everybody that he as good as MJ ever was. There's no doubt that this team was great, but it's not like this team had anybody as good as Scottie Pippen. If the media had a love affair with Kobe like they had/have with MJ, Kobe could have a chance at equaling MJ with a few more good years. Kobe is that good.

LA_Raiders
06-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Well, everybody Matures with time, he has become a great leader....

masalex1205
06-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Likable? I had a good laugh when i saw the title of this thread

Sly Guy
06-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Well, everybody Matures with time, he has become a great leader....

Tell that to AI?

lakers4sho
06-16-2009, 11:11 AM
He is very likeable both on and off the court, it's just that he has been portrayed badly by the media.

JordansBulls
06-16-2009, 11:25 AM
I'm not a Kobe fan, but I've always respected him. As time goes by, the respect grows. His attitude has gotten better every single year and he is a true leader now. And you've got to respect his intelligence. The guy is fluent in 4 or 5 languages and is committed to his profession like none other. As a player, I think he'll go down as one of the best ever. I almost hope he catches MJ's 6 titles just to show everybody that he as good as MJ ever was. There's no doubt that this team was great, but it's not like this team had anybody as good as Scottie Pippen. If the media had a love affair with Kobe like they had/have with MJ, Kobe could have a chance at equaling MJ with a few more good years. Kobe is that good.

Kobe is up their with the great ones, and Gasol isn't as good as Pippen was career wise, however you must remember also that Pippen when the Bulls started winning was about where Gasol is now when the Lakers just won.

Anyway, this thread has nothing to do with a player's legacy, it is more about how Kobe should be viewed as a likeable player. Let's not go off topic here.

Chronz
06-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Never met the guy, so I never pretended to know what he was like as a person. I hate when people hate on players for their personal lives, or what they say to the media or to their teammates when there is no way of knowing how those events transpired and ended up.

But yes Kobe does seem happier, with his legacy secured maybe now he can drop the whole me against the world swag that he has and start enjoying the game. Please drop the scowl

Lo Porto
06-16-2009, 11:37 AM
It's much easier to like LeBron than it is Kobe, but doesn't that have to do with how the media portrays LeBron? If the media drooled on Kobe like it does LeBron, Kobe haters would be fewer. Then again, a lot of LeBron's attention comes from commercials and Kobe lost a ton of his when he "slept" with that girl in Denver.

Hustla23
06-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Regardless of how nice or likable Kobe seems, he's always going to have that rape scandal on his record.

Iron24th
06-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Kobe has changed a lot,adversity of last seasons was a factor.

I don't know how people can't like him or at least respect him,when we see all he has done,his work ethic,his leadership.

You must be a hater to not like this guy.

Brooke
06-16-2009, 12:16 PM
he has grown up and matured a great deal. He is a nice guy and a great leader

MPScribbles
06-16-2009, 12:23 PM

There they go. As soon as you say a thing about Kobe some boot licker comes along with yet another misguided, favorable comparison to MJ. I wasn't even going to post in here because I was going to let the Kobe lovers have their fun and be on his jock uninterrupted but then this dude comes along. People, Kobe is not/was not/ will not EVER be as good as MJ. MJ is the best player that basketball has ever seen. Kobe has what, 2 scoring titles? He has 1 MVP! How can someone make the case that he is as good as Jordan when he isn't even hands down the best player of his era?
I don't believe that stats win every argument but you apparently think that IF Kobe can get two more rings that makes him equal to MJ. You're wrong(and having to constantly have this argument is what keeps me from being able to like Kobe) and I will support my stand with FACTS instead of my biased opinion:
Player Efficiency Rating- Jordan #1 all time, Kobe #15
Offensive Win Shares- Jordan #1, Kobe #11
Defensive Win Shares- Jordan #17, Kobe #68
Win Shares- Jordan #2, Kobe #20
MVP Award Shares- Jordan #1, Kobe #11
All-NBA 1st Team- Jordan 10, Kobe 7
All-Defense 1st Team- Jordan 9(in an era w/ Joe Dumars), Kobe 7(over who, Raja Bell?)
I'm kinda getting tired of pointing out where Jordan OWNES Kobe. Follow the links if you need more reasons.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bryanko01.html

So would people please stop comparing Kobe to Jordan. This is seriously as one-sided as the rap beef between Eminem and Benzino.

MaGic
06-16-2009, 12:53 PM
There they go. As soon as you say a thing about Kobe some boot licker comes along with yet another misguided, favorable comparison to MJ. I wasn't even going to post in here because I was going to let the Kobe lovers have their fun and be on his jock uninterrupted but then this dude comes along. People, Kobe is not/was not/ will not EVER be as good as MJ. MJ is the best player that basketball has ever seen. Kobe has what, 2 scoring titles? He has 1 MVP! How can someone make the case that he is as good as Jordan when he isn't even hands down the best player of his era?
I don't believe that stats win every argument but you apparently think that IF Kobe can get two more rings that makes him equal to MJ. You're wrong(and having to constantly have this argument is what keeps me from being able to like Kobe) and I will support my stand with FACTS instead of my biased opinion:
Player Efficiency Rating- Jordan #1 all time, Kobe #15
Offensive Win Shares- Jordan #1, Kobe #11
Defensive Win Shares- Jordan #17, Kobe #68
Win Shares- Jordan #2, Kobe #20
MVP Award Shares- Jordan #1, Kobe #11
All-NBA 1st Team- Jordan 10, Kobe 7
All-Defense 1st Team- Jordan 9(in an era w/ Joe Dumars), Kobe 7(over who, Raja Bell?)
I'm kinda getting tired of pointing out where Jordan OWNES Kobe. Follow the links if you need more reasons.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bryanko01.html

So would people please stop comparing Kobe to Jordan. This is seriously as one-sided the rap beef between Eminem and Benzino.

Ok, I was fine with your stats even if stats don't always tell the whole story, I was fine with you getting pissed off if Kobe get compared to Jordan, I'm even fine with you with your MVP count even that we all know that regular season MVP is not based on stats but perception of so called sports experts. I'm fine with all that....

But, when you said that kobe will not be as good as MJ ever, you lost me. You are predicting the future of a great player which is unknown to many, you are telling me and most of the lakers fans that Kobe will remain where he is right now even if he's career is yet to be defined. huh? So hypotethically, if Kobe wins 5 straight titles, owns the scoring title 5 straight season, get 5 more mvp awards, DPOY, all NBA team etc. etc. you'll still say MJ is greater than him? To me that is not a person with an open mind, to me that is a person who had decided that MJ is the best no matter what Kobe does, it's almost as close as hate.

Manos
06-16-2009, 01:36 PM
I guess it would depend on who you ask.

MPScribbles
06-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Ok, I was fine with your stats even if stats don't always tell the whole story, I was fine with you getting pissed off if Kobe get compared to Jordan, I'm even fine with you with your MVP count even that we all know that regular season MVP is not based on stats but perception of so called sports experts. I'm fine with all that....

But, when you said that kobe will not be as good as MJ ever, you lost me. You are predicting the future of a great player which is unknown to many, you are telling me and most of the lakers fans that Kobe will remain where he is right now even if he's career is yet to be defined. huh? So hypotethically, if Kobe wins 5 straight titles, owns the scoring title 5 straight season, get 5 more mvp awards, DPOY, all NBA team etc. etc. you'll still say MJ is greater than him? To me that is not a person with an open mind, to me that is a person who had decided that MJ is the best no matter what Kobe does, it's almost as close as hate.

OMG, I am so tired of people always using the word hate. You seem to be using it in the more traditional(non-urban) usage of the word- actual loathing. I don't hate Kobe, the person, because I don't know Kobe. He may be a hell of a good guy in real life. I also can't fault him for idolizing Jordan and trying his best to emulate his game. I actually don't fault him that much for the fact that I don't like him. I don't hate him and I'm definitely not "hating on" him. I do, however, hate him as a public figure. I hate the way people are constantly comparing him to Jordan even though he is not even close. I understand this from ESPN, although it still gets to me, because they make a living out of hyping up sports figures. I almost understand it from Laker fans because fanhood can distort your sense of reality due to the loyalty you feel to your team. The fact is that Kobe is not as good as Jordan.
And to address your point, Kobe is about to be 31. The odds of him not being past his prime are extremely slim. The way that he relies on his athleticism there is(almost) no way that he is going to improve from this point on.

Best case senario- Kobe=94-95 Jordan when he came out of retirement the first time.

MPScribbles
06-16-2009, 01:45 PM
I guess it would depend on who you ask.

LMFAO! Manos, that quote in your sig is priceless!
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

BRADY4MVP
06-16-2009, 01:56 PM
He is very likeable both on and off the court, it's just that he has been portrayed badly by the media.

oh he's just portrayed badly by the media?? maybe if he didnt rape a girl things would be different......there goes that damn media again :pity:

MiamiHeat
06-16-2009, 02:04 PM
I have no problems with Kobe Bryant
I like him as a player and I respect him

Zefflin
06-16-2009, 02:09 PM

:eyebrow: Yea not even close, he just happens to be the most popular loved/hated bball player in the world that's not retired.

Kakaroach
06-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Please drop the scowl I think thats something that is very strange lol. The scowl would have fit the Kobe of a few years ago, but he has matured, so why start it now? It makes him seem mean, which I think we can all say he really isn't anymore.

BRADY4MVP
06-16-2009, 02:13 PM
:eyebrow: Yea not even close, he just happens to be the most popular loved/hated bball player in the world that's not retired.

so if he is popular for being hated, that means people like him??? not following your logic

MPScribbles
06-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Please drop the scowl

Derrick Fisher "get off my nuts" grin>>>>>Kobe scowl

RaiderLakersA's
06-16-2009, 02:31 PM

To each his own, I suppose. There are enough promising aspects about the snippets of his personality that we do get to see that render him in a favorable light to me.

Was he a little too ambitious and demanding in his early 20's? No doubt. But you can't fault his drive, just the direction. Look where it's taken him.

Is he hard on his teammates? Unquestionably. And so was MJ, Bird, Magic, on and on down the line. And I don't doubt many of us here would be the same way. After all, if the TEAM loses, only KOBE gets the blame. It's like being a QB in football. Everyone thinks Joe Montana is a nice guy...until you drop one of his passes or miss a block. Then you get that look, that cuts you into two. For what it's worth, when Shaq first came to the Lakers and was at the top of his game, busting his hump on every play, he had no problems with Kobe. It was only after Shaq started taking seasons off, mailing it in, only showing up in the playoffs and Finals (and getting the MVP Finals trophies) that he started having issues with Kobe. Shaq wasn't giving 100% effort game in and game out, and everyone associated with the Lakers from management to the fanbase knew it. (Ironically, this may be the only reason why Shaq could play for the Lakers now...because as he's aged, he's put in more effort than he ever did in his prime.)

Having said all of that, evidently Kobe's teammates have grown to love him like a brother, and that's all that matters. He's arguably the best player in the game, playing at the highest level, and leading his team the right way. What's not to like about that?

KnickVeteran
06-16-2009, 02:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k

Sure Kobe is a great player. One of the best players to ever to play this game. But, the guy is a pompas arrogant :moon:hole. He will continue to be one all his way through the hall of fame.

D_Rose1118
06-16-2009, 02:37 PM
i agree i think he has matured alot these last couple of years

Kings Faithful
06-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Is it baiting if I say I still think Kobe is a douchebag? Because if it is whats the point of this thread? Kobe love fest?

masalex1205
06-16-2009, 02:49 PM
If Kobe is so likeable then why does everybody outside of Lakers fans hate him?

Zefflin
06-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Comments like these ^ make me realize how stupid some of you people really are.

Kakaroach
06-16-2009, 02:51 PM
You must be a hater to not like this guy. :laugh: Really? I wonder what you call someone who is hating on someone?

Cubs Win
06-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Comments like these ^ make me realize how stupid some of you people really are.

What do you mean you people? :eyebrow:

Zefflin
06-16-2009, 02:56 PM
I apologize to the rest of you smart posters for my last comment, I have to realize he's just a lonely Bobcat fan...

JordansBulls
06-16-2009, 02:57 PM
:pity:

We can never have a good thread about Kobe here.