PDA

View Full Version : Josh Smith and Antawn Jamison on their way out? Which one more likely to be delt?

Mile High Champ
06-16-2009, 09:49 AM
While plenty of media outlets are speculating about a potential deal between Cleveland and Phoenix, we’ve heard some talk of a possible trade between Cleveland and Washington actually. The deal would essentially be a cost-cutting move for the Wizards, sending Antawn Jamison and filler (Mike James) to the Cavs for Ben Wallace and Sasha Pavlovic. Wallace seems likely to retire, and Pavlovic is on a non-guaranteed contract for next season. It’s not clear whether the Wizards would need to surrender the #5 pick. Jamison is attractive to the Cavs since he’s exactly the type of combo forward they were missing to match up with Orlando’s Rashard Lewis and Hedo Turkoglu.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Word-on-the-Street-June-16th-3263/

The big trade rumor flying around (if you're already tired of the Shaq-to-Cleveland talk) centers on the Hawks' Josh Smith. Several league sources told ESPN.com that the Hawks have been working hard the past few weeks to see whether they can find a taker for Smith.

Josh Smith or Antawn Jamison?

The Hawks have some financial issues coming into the summer. Two key players, Mike Bibby and Marvin Williams, are free agents. So are a few others on the roster -- Josh Childress, Zaza Pachulia and Ronald Murray. Although the Hawks would like to keep those players, they can't afford to pay all of them. That has opened the door to the possibility of trading Smith, who, although talented, has a reputation as a difficult player to coach.

The Hawks have had no problem finding teams interested in Smith. The issue is the whopping $6 million trade kicker attached to his contract. The trade kicker essentially would require the team that trades for Smith to pay him the $6 million immediately.In this economic climate, many owners will balk at the payment.

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

The inside info was posted on the Hoopshype website.

So which of these two do you think is more likely to be delt, what about both?

Tom81
06-16-2009, 09:57 AM
i think atlanta will keep Josh Smith

dandman1021
06-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Jamison is most likely out...alot of teams would be interested in getting him.

Kakaroach
06-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Jamison is out and Smith is just too talented to just trade away to keep some other guys. Even though there is always something about him fighting with the coach...

ggb108
06-16-2009, 10:09 AM
i think both are gone...

true_superman23
06-16-2009, 10:10 AM
If I was Toronto, I'd try and pull of a cap relief trade (Trade Joey Graham + Marcus Banks/Carlos Delfino + 9th Pick) for Atlanta's (Josh Smith + 19th Pick) or Washington's (Jamison) . Toronto wouldn't be losing much but the other teams would be saving a couple of million this year, and cap relief for the next 3 years.

Or I'd like to see Cleveland go after Jamison, package of Ben Wallace for (Jamison + Mike James/any player Wizards would give up).

JordansBulls
06-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Josh Smith to Chicago for Tyrus Thomas

Kakaroach
06-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Josh Smith to Chicago for Tyrus Thomas Eh, I just think Smith is all-around better than Thomas. Even though it might be a good trade for both teams, ATL would be giving up a lot potential and talent wise.

mikantsass
06-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Josh Smith to Chicago for Tyrus Thomas

Keep dreaming.

Jamison will be delt to a contender

miller74
06-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Josh Smith for Chris Bosh?

Mile High Champ
06-16-2009, 10:47 AM

does not solve atlanta's cap situation and If I am BC and the Raps, no way I make that trade.

miller74
06-16-2009, 10:50 AM
does not solve atlanta's cap situation and If I am BC and the Raps, no way I make that trade.

As a raps fan i would take it in a second athletic all around player opposed to a 7 ft jump shooter who is a bad defender/passer and heading towards leaving in free agency

dos132
06-16-2009, 10:59 AM
try to move them both, for the a big gamble....

posterized
06-16-2009, 11:04 AM
[QUOTE=true_superman23;9806749]If I was Toronto, I'd try and pull of a cap relief trade (Trade Joey Graham + Marcus Banks/Carlos Delfino + 9th Pick) for Atlanta's (Josh Smith + 19th Pick) or Washington's (Jamison) . Toronto wouldn't be losing much but the other teams would be saving a couple of million this year, and cap relief for the next 3 years.

Yeah Atlanta would be saving money. But the past 2 seasons Atlanta has been getting better and taking steps forward, in terms of imporvement. Making this deal would only set Atlanta back, talent wise. This trade wont happen, and (no offense) but its not a very good trade.

LA_Raiders
06-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Jamison makes more sense.

masalex1205
06-16-2009, 11:10 AM
^agreed, and taking a step backward is not something Atlanta can afford to do w/ Joe Johnson's free agency looming

1amLEGEND
06-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Jamison makes more sense.

He's like 33 with a huge contract... you'll never get equal value. With Josh Smish you can break the bank & get over. He's over-rated. Hawks don't need him to win. Highlight player. Ak47 part 2

LA_Raiders
06-16-2009, 11:30 AM

Thats a good trade, Bosh wants out and JS brings a D player that Toronto needs...

1amLEGEND
06-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Thats a good trade, Bosh wants out and JS brings a D player that Toronto needs...

u cant be serious

miller74
06-16-2009, 11:40 AM
u cant be serious

care to explain?

JWO35
06-16-2009, 11:41 AM
How about Tayshaun Prince and Amir Johnson for Josh Smith

and

How about Ben Wallace and a future 1st rounder for Antawn Jamison and Mike James

b_rad23
06-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Smith 1st rounder and future 2nd round pick for Bosh.

miller74
06-16-2009, 11:53 AM

In a heart beat (as a raptors fan) kinda sick of Bosh doesnt has to improve his all around game in order to be a winner, and now hes talking about leaving. He went to Georgia Tech maybe he resigns there
Any chance ATL would do that?

Young2Kinsler
06-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Josh Smith to Dallas please. There are only a few teams willing to take on money this offseason, and Dallas is one of them. I honestly think I would **** my pants if we got Josh.

Young2Kinsler
06-16-2009, 11:58 AM
How about Tayshaun Prince and Amir Johnson for Josh Smith

and

How about Ben Wallace and a future 1st rounder for Antawn Jamison and Mike James

Atlanta and Washington both would not do those deals b/c they are looking to shed salary. They don't want talented players back in return, they want to save money. Detroit could offer a 2nd round pick, and ATL might take it, seeing that it would cost them none of the remaining 48 million on Smiths contract.

1amLEGEND
06-16-2009, 11:59 AM
care to explain?

How bout they get bosh some help this season b4 they ruin the franchise for the next 5 years!!!!

Making that trade they wont even score 85 points a game :laugh:

1amLEGEND
06-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Atlanta and Washington both would not do those deals b/c they are looking to shed salary. They don't want talented players back in return, they want to save money. Detroit could offer a 2nd round pick, and ATL might take it, seeing that it would cost them none of the remaining 48 million on Smiths contract.

Yeah... just like Kwame Brown cant be traded for World/NBA Champion Paul Gasol

They'll do whatever the damn owner of the team says they'll do

1amLEGEND
06-16-2009, 12:05 PM
In a heart beat (as a raptors fan) kinda sick of Bosh doesnt has to improve his all around game in order to be a winner, and now hes talking about leaving. He went to Georgia Tech maybe he resigns there
Any chance ATL would do that?

So Josh Smith is a better overall player you're saying?

(Chris Bosh did win a gold medal this year btw)

JWO35
06-16-2009, 12:05 PM

Oh Really!? :laugh:
Since they want to save money how about the Pistons Sign-and-Trade Rasheed Wallace(1yr) to them and Will Bynum....

thornga2
06-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Three team deal trade

Raptors Get Michael Redd

Bucks Get Josh Smith,

Atlanta Gets #9 pick and Marcus Banks from Raptors and 2nd from Bucks.

Raptors get a good outside threat to complement Bosh and Bargniani. They make the move because they need to contend now in hopes of getting Bosh to re-sign.

Bucks get an athletic forward to pair with Richard Jefferson, and a player who is a better fit for what Scott Skiles wants to do.

Atlanta get a bunch of cap relief, and a top ten pick, which is a very nice pull in this situation.

kbrill21
06-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Article mentions that they would like to keep Josh Childress. Well, maybe they should have thought about that last off season. Since he has been in Greece for a year. Facts????

Mile High Champ
06-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Three team deal trade

Raptors Get Michael Redd

Bucks Get Josh Smith,

Atlanta Gets #9 pick and Marcus Banks from Raptors and 2nd from Bucks.

Raptors get a good outside threat to complement Bosh and Bargniani. They make the move because they need to contend now in hopes of getting Bosh to re-sign.

Bucks get an athletic forward to pair with Richard Jefferson, and a player who is a better fit for what Scott Skiles wants to do.

Atlanta get a bunch of cap relief, and a top ten pick, which is a very nice pull in this situation.

being a raps fan, there is no way Toronto makes that trade. Why trade for the injury plagued fromer allstar redd who buy the way makes 15 million per season for at least another 2 years. Sorry I want no part in that and I know Brian Colangelo feels the same way.

Murphy_Dee
06-16-2009, 12:43 PM
I'm a Raptors fan, and I'm curious as to what you guys think about the possibility of acquiring Josh Smith for a package centred around a S&T of Shawn Marion?

miller74
06-16-2009, 01:02 PM
So Josh Smith is a better overall player you're saying?

(Chris Bosh did win a gold medal this year btw)

I could have won gold with LBJ Dwade Kobe ETC

Im not saying hes neccesarily better but, Bosh is leaving y not get an elite player for him if you can, also he and barganni play the same position, even if they got Bosh some players he doesnt know how to use them. Hes not strong post up player and doesnt kick out well(exactly y Kapono was traded) or defend well either. Josh Smith provides something the raps havent had since VC left. He is just a better fit for them long term

1amLEGEND
06-16-2009, 01:05 PM
I'm a Raptors fan, and I'm curious as to what you guys think about the possibility of acquiring Josh Smith for a package centred around a S&T of Shawn Marion?

makes more sense than trading chris bosh!

FaceDown91
06-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Hawks are keeping Smith, no chance in hell he's leaving

Hoopsadvocate
06-16-2009, 01:12 PM

I think its brilliant. Raptors can get some value for bosh as well as get younger faster him marion and calderon would be fun to watch offense, and along with Bargs at the Center i think is a good team.

Hawks get a Johnson and bosh duo and they already have the role players in Hartford/bibby/murrary/ Childress if he comes back too. Thats a possible contender too.

Damn it just makes too much sense to happen though.

1amLEGEND
06-16-2009, 01:16 PM
I could have won gold with LBJ Dwade Kobe ETC

Im not saying hes neccesarily better but, Bosh is leaving y not get an elite player for him if you can, also he and barganni play the same position, even if they got Bosh some players he doesnt know how to use them. Hes not strong post up player and doesnt kick out well(exactly y Kapono was traded) or defend well either. Josh Smith provides something the raps havent had since VC left. He is just a better fit for them long term

Yeah you could have but couldn't have played #%*@$!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh2:

Bosh is leaving? News to me!!! Not many guys turn down max contracts. What are you just distancing yourself emotionally from him now so that if in 2010 he joins my Cavs it won't hurt soooooooo baaaad:laugh: get over it!!!!

Josh Smith for Chris Bosh will not improve the Raptors. That is ********.

Josh Smith = AK47/poor mans lamar odom

Hermie13
06-16-2009, 01:27 PM
being a raps fan, there is no way Toronto makes that trade. Why trade for the injury plagued fromer allstar redd who buy the way makes 15 million per season for at least another 2 years. Sorry I want no part in that and I know Brian Colangelo feels the same way.

I believe Redd's deal is over after 2010 with an option for $17M in 2011....so not 'at least' another 2 years, but max two years.

Redd would give you a solid big 2-guard, which the Raptors could use (Kapano was a bad idea). They still need a PG. Likely won't be enough to keep Bosh, but at least they'd give it a shot.

ottograham14
06-16-2009, 01:28 PM

I could see Washington doing this trade due to the fact that Big Ben is talking about retiring which would shed salary for Washington in order for them to keep their #5 pick. Also Pavs would be a good return as he would be money coming off the books soon too. The only thing that could hold up a Jamison to Cleveland trade is.........come on it is Washington and Cleveland. Does Washington need to clear up salary that bad that they would trade Jamison to their biggest rivals the past couple years. Also do they see someone that they like that much at #5 that they would be willing to break up Jamison, Butler, Arenas and Haywood next year, because if they do then they would need to trade Jamison because signing a #5 pick and keeping the roster that they have would put them over the luxury tax big time where they already said they do not want to be. I could be wrong though, like to see what Washington fans think about all this.......then again that is if there are any out there :hide:

Smith could go too, the Hawks and him have not got along for a long time and they might want to just see what they can get in return for him and try to keep people that they do like, like ZaZa and Bibby.

masalex1205
06-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Great another Bosh is leaving thread.

I think Jamison going to Cleveland would be a steal for them although his age/massive contract is the counterargument.

miller74
06-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Yeah you could have but couldn't have played #%*@$!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh2:

Bosh is leaving? News to me!!! Not many guys turn down max contracts. What are you just distancing yourself emotionally from him now so that if in 2010 he joins my Cavs it won't hurt soooooooo baaaad:laugh: get over it!!!!

Josh Smith for Chris Bosh will not improve the Raptors. That is ********.

Josh Smith = AK47/poor mans lamar odom

I dont know what u r tryin to say but the US would have won with or without Bosh is my point.
And about 10 other teams can also give Bosh a max contract. he has already said he wont do another extension this summer. Im not going to be upset if he signs with the cavs that better for bosh i dont think he has what it takes to be a #1 option he would flourish with a player like LBJ. Anyone thinking Bosh is stayin is in denial. Smith is younger has incredible athletism and his shooting and defense are improving every year, hes no odom or AK47, hes better and will continue to get better. And it will improve the raptors because he is EXACTLY what they need, tough perimeter swing man defender who is athletic and can score. Bosh is a jump shooter there r tones of those around not to say hes not a good player im just saying he could do more for the raps longterm by being traded then he could playing for the raps for 1 more season

J_M_B
06-16-2009, 02:32 PM
I think both of them get delt

Sports Illustrator
06-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Both players are likely to stay. There is a higher chance of Antwan Jamison being traded but the chances of either of them getting traded are slim.

Julio Zuleta
06-16-2009, 02:52 PM
ok i have seen the word DELT spelled wrong numerous times in this thread. Its
D E A L T not DELT. i think i learned that in elementary school

Mr. Pistols
06-16-2009, 02:52 PM
mike james as a filler?

he is the next MJ on steroids!!!

Kakaroach
06-16-2009, 03:00 PM
I didn't realize this turned into the NBA Trade Idea Forum lol. Well, I think Jamison still has a good year or two left in him. Why not take him?

nolin
06-16-2009, 03:36 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Word-on-the-Street-June-16th-3263/

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

The inside info was posted on the Hoopshype website.

So which of these two do you think is more likely to be delt, what about both?

i dont think any of them will go anywhere, but i think smith will go first. Just because the wizard seem to be looking to trade their pick and fiillers for a vetran to come in and help make a run at a title. They cant make a run by trading jamison so hes not going anywhere.

IversonIsKrazy
06-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Sign Marion 1 yr $10m. Sign Joey Graham 1 yr $3m.

Raptors Get:
Josh Smith
Speedy Claxton

Hawks Get:
Shawn Marion (1yr contract)
Joey Graham (1yr contract)
Roko Ukic

Then Raptors draft DeMar DeRozan. Resign Pops. Sign Jamal Crawford. Resign Delfino.

PG: Jose/Claxton
SG: Crawford/Delfino
SF: J-Smoove/DeRozan
PF: CB4/Pops
C: Bargs/Evans

nolin
06-16-2009, 03:48 PM
josh smith is a good player but will never be great. i highly doubt he makes an allstar game. He really doesnt have a natural position. Hes to small to play pf. and he really doesnt have a good enough outside shot to be a sf. Smith is the most overrated player in the league by psd fans.

Taimarv
06-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Article mentions that they would like to keep Josh Childress. Well, maybe they should have thought about that last off season. Since he has been in Greece for a year. Facts????

Atlanta still owns the rights to Childress even though he is playing in Greece.

mrblisterdundee
06-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Antawn Jamison is the most likely candidate, but I don't know why Cleveland would go after him when David Lee is such a perfect long-term fit.

jimbobjarree
06-16-2009, 04:24 PM
Boozer+ sign and trade for Smith. Makes sense for both. They need a power forward instead of playing 2 hybrids, and we need defense at the 3...perfect.

Mile High Champ
06-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Boozer+ sign and trade for Smith. Makes sense for both. They need a power forward instead of playing 2 hybrids, and we need defense at the 3...perfect.

makes sense but I would imagine Utah would need to find a way to trade AK-47.

tland22
06-17-2009, 04:13 PM
Hornets want Antwan....we have David West, Rasul Butler, Peja etc... oh and we want yalls 1st round draft pick

Brooklyn Mets
06-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Jamison is more desirable and Smith's 6 million trade kicker doesn't help..